Helpful ReplyStudio One 3.5 is out

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/05/31 07:10:21 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
On the Mac you can run two different interfaces now for input and output from your DAW.  (At  different buffer sizes too)

Doh, when I saw that feature, I assumed it was for both Mac and Windows? It is still on my list to try out, but would be useful for certain, one-off scenarios for me. The complexity of the audio engine does validate the fact that performance is not "all audio interface drivers," which has seemed to become the perceived reality.

I am convinced their folks do read and monitor these forums fairly heavily. A couple posts in the SONAR forum a few days before the S1 3.5 release related directly to new features it had. Subtle, but too coincidental to blow off. Ironically, I have only been in their forums a few times, but realized quickly that one of the primarily posters there also posts here.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/05/31 13:36:25 (permalink)
I won't switch to Mac for it, but I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/05/31 20:30:16 (permalink)
I would want to see the 2 interfaces at work first plus get some in depth info on how they asure the sync ... probably not trivial since you are listening to backing track output from one interface while recording with another ... that opens the door for additional issues you won't have to worry about when using one big hi quality interface.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
BobF
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/05/31 22:38:15 (permalink)
Mac has aggregation capability as part of the OS.  Or so I hear.

Bob  --
--

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 00:26:24 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Funny thing is I wasn't planning on jumping ship and really don't consider it that way, although missing upgrade deadline likely factors now. I honestly prefer mixing in sonar. I do find getting things to just work easier on studio one. Controllers have been damn near effortless where as i struggled getting transports and controllers to work right with Sonar.

What I meant by jumping ship was a couple of song posters that were real nice folks checked out Studio One
( pre X3 days ) and they quietly left the forum w out any fanfare or good byes ..
Then there was a few fellas about a year or so ago that kept beating a S O War Drum . They couldn't help themselves when it came to outright butting heads w Craig in multiple threads and causing a lot of useless forum contention .. 

dubdisciple , you are too much of a good person ..we don't want to loose you

BobF
I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

+1

BobF

Hi Bob , when I saw these two posts of yours , so I decided to try some thing out that I have always wanted to try ...
I was just sitting here reading the forum using my 10 year old i Mac .
I didn't have my audio interface connected since I was just using the on board computer audio to watch u tubes and surf the web.
I went into the closet and grabbed my Yamaha THR 5 ..hooked it up to the i Mac VIA USB .
Then I went into System Preferences and set my Computers input to the Yamaha and my output to internal speakers..
I opened up Reaper because I had a project that was local on my machine ...that meant I didn't have to connect my external HD that has all my Logic and other Mac based instrument samples and  loops...
Upon opening Reaper , it told me I didn't have an audio interface ( my default is my 2i4 ) so I went into Reaper set my audio input for the Yamaha , then I set my output for the built in out put ...
To make a long story short I laid down a guitar track using the Yamaha with very specific tones ..
Reaper recorded it perfectly ...I think the only small glitch I had was after I recorded my playing I had to set my freshly recorded track to an output for Reaper to blend it with the other audio of my project for play back ...
( When I had recorded I used the Yamaha for monitoring my guitar playing in real time )

FWIW, I have had the ability to do this for years ,
Yet in all honesty , this is the first time I have ever tried doing this workflow
Now I'm like What! W T Hell Kenny ..... What have you been waiting for ?  I guess it's better late than never
I would love to be able to do this type of thing in Windows ..
If Studio One can do this in Windows I will be leaving Prime and upgrading real soon ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

BobF
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 01:37:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/06/01 02:56:27
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Funny thing is I wasn't planning on jumping ship and really don't consider it that way, although missing upgrade deadline likely factors now. I honestly prefer mixing in sonar. I do find getting things to just work easier on studio one. Controllers have been damn near effortless where as i struggled getting transports and controllers to work right with Sonar.

What I meant by jumping ship was a couple of song posters that were real nice folks checked out Studio One
( pre X3 days ) and they quietly left the forum w out any fanfare or good byes ..
Then there was a few fellas about a year or so ago that kept beating a S O War Drum . They couldn't help themselves when it came to outright butting heads w Craig in multiple threads and causing a lot of useless forum contention .. 

dubdisciple , you are too much of a good person ..we don't want to loose you

BobF
I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

+1

BobF

Hi Bob , when I saw these two posts of yours , so I decided to try some thing out that I have always wanted to try ...
I was just sitting here reading the forum using my 10 year old i Mac .
I didn't have my audio interface connected since I was just using the on board computer audio to watch u tubes and surf the web.
I went into the closet and grabbed my Yamaha THR 5 ..hooked it up to the i Mac VIA USB .
Then I went into System Preferences and set my Computers input to the Yamaha and my output to internal speakers..
I opened up Reaper because I had a project that was local on my machine ...that meant I didn't have to connect my external HD that has all my Logic and other Mac based instrument samples and  loops...
Upon opening Reaper , it told me I didn't have an audio interface ( my default is my 2i4 ) so I went into Reaper set my audio input for the Yamaha , then I set my output for the built in out put ...
To make a long story short I laid down a guitar track using the Yamaha with very specific tones ..
Reaper recorded it perfectly ...I think the only small glitch I had was after I recorded my playing I had to set my freshly recorded track to an output for Reaper to blend it with the other audio of my project for play back ...
( When I had recorded I used the Yamaha for monitoring my guitar playing in real time )

FWIW, I have had the ability to do this for years ,
Yet in all honesty , this is the first time I have ever tried doing this workflow
Now I'm like What! W T Hell Kenny ..... What have you been waiting for ?  I guess it's better late than never
I would love to be able to do this type of thing in Windows ..
If Studio One can do this in Windows I will be leaving Prime and upgrading real soon ...

all the best,

Kenny

I don't think you'll see it in Windows, Kenny.

I also have a THR.  What I would like to be able to do is use the USB audio connections of the THR, GT, FA, whatever, but continue to monitor via my primary interface/monitors - without switching cables around.  The way I use any of those now is to feed the analog OUTs to my primary i/f.  Extra cables and conversions.  Yuch.  Especially when USB is connected for control anyway.  Oh well.

The THR is an awesome box.  I use it as my i/f with a laptop when I'm killing time in hotel rooms.  I'm amazed at the quality of the sound as an amp and as an FRFR speaker system.  Yamaha got the THRs right for sure.

Bob  --
--

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 01:45:11 (permalink)
The dual interfaces all work fine on a Mac. I can run Studio One on my iMac and I have tried it with an RME Fireface 800 interface connected to the firewire 800 port and a Focusrite interface connected to the thunderbolt port.  Cool thing is you can select either or the same one for record or playback.  Sync all seems to be fine and both locked to the computer.  I am doing a big session tomorrow and will run both.  Different latencies can be set for either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
kennywtelejazz
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 04:22:51 (permalink)
BobF

I don't think you'll see it in Windows, Kenny.

I also have a THR.  What I would like to be able to do is use the USB audio connections of the THR, GT, FA, whatever, but continue to monitor via my primary interface/monitors - without switching cables around.  The way I use any of those now is to feed the analog OUTs to my primary i/f.  Extra cables and conversions.  Yuch.  Especially when USB is connected for control anyway.  Oh well.

The THR is an awesome box.  I use it as my i/f with a laptop when I'm killing time in hotel rooms.  I'm amazed at the quality of the sound as an amp and as an FRFR speaker system.  Yamaha got the THRs right for sure.

Hi Bob,

I hate to say it ...that is kinda what I thought Oh well it was a nice little dream while it lasted ...Mac only ...

Yes I agree with you .The THR is an awesome box  small yet mighty .
I have always been impressed with how good it sounds .Even more importantly how well the amp responds as I change my touch while I'm playing my guitar

My experience with the THR has been mostly positive as far as using it as a standalone hardware app...

Just like you , I have been somewhat disappointed at how hard it is to run the THR inside of Windows to SONAR.
FWIW, I have never tried using it as a USB only replacement for my sound card in SONAR so I can't speak on that just yet. I may have to eventually give that a try just to see what happens ...
I did it like you did , cabling up the best I could with what I had ...

I guess the best thing that has happened to me and my little THR in a long while has finally happened today ..
This was the first time I was able to record it the way I have always wanted to ...

nice talking with you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 19:50:25 (permalink)
Kenny.  Definitely not losing me.  Despite enjoying Studio One (and Logic for that matter), i still think Sonar is criminally underrated among DAWs. There simply is no perfect DAW.  I can find strengths and weaknesses among them all.  There are things off the top of my head i can say Sonar is preferable to me. IMO Sonar's bundled instruments are superior.  Presence sounds super thin compared to Dimension. Rapture(another underrated Cakewalk product) and Z3ta+ both are preferable to me than Mai Thai (a decent synth but too much CPU). I always found it weird that so many feel the need to bash products when they choose to use another.   Even though i missed deadline, i am hoping Cakewalk has another last chance deal when i have the spare cash.
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/01 23:26:07 (permalink)
I probably use Studio One these days more than SONAR, but I do still use SONAR for some things, and there is one feature that I prefer very much in the Cakewalk world compared to the PreSonus world...

This forum! 

I still update SONAR and try to keep up with what is new, but I find that I read the Software forum here because it's a good way to keep up with what is going on with all kinds of plugins, not just Cakewalk stuff.  I'll be checking out the most recent update, but man, I really like the new low-latency native monitoring in Studio One.  That feature alone makes me glad I started learning to use other applications.  (I still find things that I know how to do in SONAR that I have to Google for how to do them in Studio One, but I'm getting better.)

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/02 02:10:53 (permalink)
Genghis
I probably use Studio One these days more than SONAR, but I do still use SONAR for some things, and there is one feature that I prefer very much in the Cakewalk world compared to the PreSonus world...

This forum! 

I still update SONAR and try to keep up with what is new, but I find that I read the Software forum here because it's a good way to keep up with what is going on with all kinds of plugins, not just Cakewalk stuff.  I'll be checking out the most recent update, but man, I really like the new low-latency native monitoring in Studio One.  That feature alone makes me glad I started learning to use other applications.  (I still find things that I know how to do in SONAR that I have to Google for how to do them in Studio One, but I'm getting better.)

My sentiments exactly. I struggle to do some basic things, but fortunately the things i need to do for my students right now are pretty intuitive.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/02 08:15:54 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Kenny.  Definitely not losing me.  Despite enjoying Studio One (and Logic for that matter), i still think Sonar is criminally underrated among DAWs. There simply is no perfect DAW.  I can find strengths and weaknesses among them all.  There are things off the top of my head i can say Sonar is preferable to me. IMO Sonar's bundled instruments are superior.  Presence sounds super thin compared to Dimension. Rapture(another underrated Cakewalk product) and Z3ta+ both are preferable to me than Mai Thai (a decent synth but too much CPU). I always found it weird that so many feel the need to bash products when they choose to use another.   Even though i missed deadline, i am hoping Cakewalk has another last chance deal when i have the spare cash.

Hey dubdisciple ,

I was hit very hard with outside of music time sensitive financial responsibility when they were offering the deal.
I literally had to go with out in other areas to make it happen ...
Squeaked in with around a week and a half to spare on the deadline .
FWIW, I sure hope Cakewalk does bring back the lifetimes deal to give folks another shot at getting a great deal  . 

Yes Logic is a Great DAW ...I have Logic 9 . That's as high up as I can go in Logic with my older Mac's .
I Love the bundled instruments and plugs that come with both Logic and SPlat ..
When I have the need I will use both programs in a song project.IMHO they seem to complement each other well .

Yes I happen to agree with you , there is no perfect DAW ( at least right out of the box ) they all seem to be in a state of flux and constant development ...
Ideally even if there was a perfect DAW I would be still hitting the same brick walls I'm hitting now ..
I hate to say it but Ole Kenny needs an upgrade because he may turn out to be the weak link in the signal chain

Yeah sure,  w out VST support the Studio One version I'm demoing has some pretty weak sounds ..at this point in time I'm more OK finding out if Studio One has the type of workflow I can be able to work in ...

Hey ,  it was nice talking with you ,

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

dubdisciple
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/02 13:22:13 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple

Hey dubdisciple ,

I was hit very hard with outside of music time sensitive financial responsibility when they were offering the deal.
I literally had to go with out in other areas to make it happen ...
Squeaked in with around a week and a half to spare on the deadline .
FWIW, I sure hope Cakewalk does bring back the lifetimes deal to give folks another shot at getting a great deal  . 

Yes Logic is a Great DAW ...I have Logic 9 . That's as high up as I can go in Logic with my older Mac's .
I Love the bundled instruments and plugs that come with both Logic and SPlat ..
When I have the need I will use both programs in a song project.IMHO they seem to complement each other well .

Yes I happen to agree with you , there is no perfect DAW ( at least right out of the box ) they all seem to be in a state of flux and constant development ...
Ideally even if there was a perfect DAW I would be still hitting the same brick walls I'm hitting now ..
I hate to say it but Ole Kenny needs an upgrade because he may turn out to be the weak link in the signal chain

Yeah sure,  w out VST support the Studio One version I'm demoing has some pretty weak sounds ..at this point in time I'm more OK finding out if Studio One has the type of workflow I can be able to work in ...

Hey ,  it was nice talking with you ,

all the best,

Kenny

Always good to talk to you. Cakewalk has the best forum and I have always appreciated the freedom to discuss competing software here. I do get annoyed with those that come here to bash our host.

We are still using Logic 9 at teen center. We have discussed upgrading, but the benefits didn't warrant the cost.

I think Studio One Prime severely misrepresents Studio One worlflow. For example, I discovered that one could create an extremely efficient sampled drum workflow using Sample One. I really don't like Trap, but working at urban programs necessitates knowing how to make it. Intricate hi-hat and snare patterns mean dedicated channels for those are a must. A simple feature like sample one's ability to cycle through the folder of any sample you drop in is a serious time saver. I have wanted a similar workflow in cakewalk for years.
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/02 13:22:58 (permalink)
I do love Mac's ability to use two interfaces.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/02 16:21:25 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I do love Mac's ability to use two interfaces.

Yes so am I   I may have just tried it recently w my Yamaha THR 5 ....

Now that I have found out how easy this is to do on a Mac I'm gonna have to start using my Apogee GIO interface more often

dubdisciple

Always good to talk to you. Cakewalk has the best forum and I have always appreciated the freedom to discuss competing software here. I do get annoyed with those that come here to bash our host.

We are still using Logic 9 at teen center. We have discussed upgrading, but the benefits didn't warrant the cost.

I think Studio One Prime severely misrepresents Studio One worlflow. For example, I discovered that one could create an extremely efficient sampled drum workflow using Sample One. I really don't like Trap, but working at urban programs necessitates knowing how to make it. Intricate hi-hat and snare patterns mean dedicated channels for those are a must. A simple feature like sample one's ability to cycle through the folder of any sample you drop in is a serious time saver. I have wanted a similar workflow in cakewalk for years.

Yes dubdisciple,

Hey World listen up ...Viva The Cakewalk Forum ...it is the best forum period

Yeah some of these guys that want to come here and rock the boat. I don't know man, whats the payoff for them?
They always seem to end up drifting down the road eventually after what seems to be a long painful while 

I had my Mac for a few years before I had gotten Logic 9 . I knew I wanted it because I was using MainStage 2.
I was saving up to get Logic 9 and then Apple pulled it from the app store when Logic X came out ..
I was like WHAT ? My i Mac is running Lion and I had no way of getting Logic 9 unless I could find it used ..
Eventually i got lucky . A former Mac store genius was looking to sell his boxed set w all 9 disks ..
He wanted $120 bucks for it so I met him outside a local Target store .
I brought my big A$$ed dog Duke with me because it was a real nice night out to be outdoors ...
After I handed the guy a hundred and twenty bucks  we wound up BS'ing for about an hour ....
Duke was working him over the whole time giving him the look , rubbing up against him ,  wagging his tail , and  wanting to be pet ...Duke has got that Velcro Dog thing down to a science because he practices on me ...

When we were done talking the guy looks at me and Duke and he says to us "you guys seem like nice people " and he hands me back 40 bucks So Hell Yeah I can roll w Logic 9 and be OK w it. Got's some good Mojo & Karma ..

Sure Studio One Prime may be real light feature wise and it may not be the best way to get an idea of the full program ...I can understand that ...I am looking for something that I haven't seemed to have found yet
At the very least if I can get familiar with it I can teach it to my car mechanics son ...
The kids father helped me out big time and saved me a lot of money while we fixed my one way car ...
I offered to buy them Home Studio ..it looks like they want to go with something real simple and free ....
Heck I might have to put my wallet under house arrest anyway if a few bucks show up .I'm a DAW whore at heart 
I'll have a fling with any musical DAW that can stand to be in the same room with me

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/09 16:02:07 (permalink)
I'm curious. How exactly in basic terms does  the new latency compensation work? 

I am also  on the forum over there and I attempted to find out more. I didn't find out much. There were a few having issues with it.

Apparently maximum use of it is conditional on a few factors. It seems to use cpu cycles re distribution during tracking similar to the way an older PT setup worked. It doesn't appear to work 100% for everyone. In fact, a few have reported less latency with the compensation box unchecked.

Do I need specific hardware to utilize the new function? Is this more a feature for Mac? Is this only a thunderbolt feature?

I think Presonus should be more clear on who can use it and the limitations.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

dubdisciple
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/09 16:31:21 (permalink)
Starise
I'm curious. How exactly in basic terms does  the new latency compensation work? 

I am also  on the forum over there and I attempted to find out more. I didn't find out much. There were a few having issues with it.

Apparently maximum use of it is conditional on a few factors. It seems to use cpu cycles re distribution during tracking similar to the way an older PT setup worked. It doesn't appear to work 100% for everyone. In fact, a few have reported less latency with the compensation box unchecked.

Do I need specific hardware to utilize the new function? Is this more a feature for Mac? Is this only a thunderbolt feature?

I think Presonus should be more clear on who can use it and the limitations.

I confess that i have no idea how it actually works.  i can attest that it does indeed work on windows. using Sonar with my laptop with wireless card enabled is latency hell.  I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody, but everyone i know personally seems to have found it useful.
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/09 16:39:21 (permalink)
I find it working very well for me and fits my workflow. I use an RME FireFace 400, and get tracking latency around 6-7 ms. and have the dropout protection on high so that the other tracks are always playing back with low CPU cycles. 

I don't know much about the details on how it works, but it runs the mix tracks at whatever latency you have the dropout protection set for (I have it max, or 2048 samples), and your live tracking is whatever you have the buffers set to.  I have buffers at 64 on my RME.  Strangely if I lower to 48 on the buffers, the live input for a track latency goes down a smidge, as expected, but my soft synth latency goes up.  So I leave it 64 and find that it is more than adequate.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Starise
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/09 17:38:52 (permalink)
The little info I've gathered is that it seems to work better on larger mixes. 100 tracks playing back and recording tracks at the same time. This would probably be tough on any average laptop. I really don't know. Some are reporting problems with it. Since Presonus is touting a new interface I wondered if it works better with that. Having P hardware doesn't seem to matter for some. 

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Jeff Evans
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/09 20:42:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/06/12 15:23:42
You might want to start by reading this. One of our forum members has kindly written this document:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=25650&hilit=Low+Latency+Monitoring+handbook

Go to the very first post and you will see a file to be downloaded.

There is some confusion surrounding it for sure.  There are two types of low latency monitoring as well.  One for audio and the other for virtual instruments.  They are two different things.  The audio side of it works very well.  In terms of virtual instruments though there is an improvement but it is at the moment achieved by not using the low latency instrument mode.  (I have been doing some exhaustive testing of virtual instrument response times lately. The lowest I have achieved is 2.9 mS which is damn fast!)

There is also hardware low latency monitoring with certain Presonus interfaces and this is different again to LLM for audio.  That is explained in the handbook.

Thunderbolt being so fast shows up a 16 samples buffer option which actually does speed things up again in both instrument and audio modes.  On Macs the thunderbolt option is standard but I am sure it could be achieved on PC's as well.  I  have a loan of a RME Fireface 800 interface and the 16 sample setting shows up on it for some reason but not on my PCI based RME interface though. 32 is the lowest setting there.

The input and output buffers are now split and can be set separately which is also very cool.  Dropout protection is also another thing again too.  It stops your session from breaking up with super large sessions and it works very well. Even when your CPU is pushed hard (to 100%) the music will still play perfectly.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/10 10:07:39 (permalink)
Seems like a good feature from what I read here. If it's a real advantage other vendors will follow quickly.

I am actually inclined to test Studio One to see what it can do compared to Sonar. Are there demo versions which are easy to install without iLok & Co yet are not too restricted?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
BD03
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/10 10:47:45 (permalink)
Been waiting for Studio one to evolve.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/10 12:31:28 (permalink)
Studio One Prime is free, but quite limited. No limitation on duration.

Studio One's DEMO is the Pro version which is 30 days with the limitations on this page http://support.presonus.c...the-Studio-One-3-Demo-

No iLok or such is required, you just need an account registered with PreSonus.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Starise
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/12 15:34:39 (permalink)
Thanks for that info Jeff. 

Twitter @Rodein

Jeff Evans
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/13 02:18:13 (permalink)
Biome Digital
Been waiting for Studio one to evolve.

Studio One has evolved.

I think they will sort some things out with settings and they may adjust it so the best latency figures should be achieved in LLM mode rather than outside it.  (this is with instrument monitoring and only under certain conditions. There are other circumstances where the lowest latency does happen with LLM mode on) It is not that important how it is set, it is all about getting the figures low for virtual instruments especially.  I like it when the software feels as fast as the hardware does. 

On the audio side, plugins can be used in real time during tracking easily as long as they meet certain conditions.  I am about to do some testing on the audio side now.  It is important to feed signals into the DAW under test from the outside and record and measure the results of the DAW under test in a second DAW.  I can do this as I have Studio One setup on both PC and Mac machines.  Both at the latest version.  I am making the MAC machine the DAW under test because of the thunderbolt interface and how well Focusrite interfaces perform under these conditions.  At 16 samples it is a little better than the RME PCI interface (32 samples min only on the PCI buss audio interface for some reason) on my PC machine.  I am about to test an RME Fireface at 16 samples both for instrument and audio latency.  (For some reason 16 samples shows up for the FF800 on the Mac. This may be a MAC/thunderbolt/Firewire 800 thing rather than an interface thing)

You can use dropout protection and LLM mode at the same time.  The audio side is achieving some amazing LL figures.  Good for jamming over large complex session playing back.

Another use is for live recording.  I did a large multitrack session recently with a band in a room with a PA.  (One of my fave approaches to recording)  Every input signal came direct to the audio interfaces.  (mics and DI's) Everyone hears the PA.

I used a thunderbolt interface with the LLM mode and was achieving instant response from the PA buses while tracking and monitoring purely through the software.  I was able to set up multiple headphone mixes and things even with effects and still have the PA buses with no perceived delay of any sort.  (Mind you Dropout Protection not needed because there was nothing playing back!) The PA was doing a lot.  Vocals (foldback), keyboards and acoustic guitars fitted with pickups, electric violin, all at once.  If you mic everything else carefully and choose the mics well, you will barely hear the PA in the spill on the close mic'd tracks. 

BobF
Re: Studio One 3.5 is out 2017/06/13 12:05:45 (permalink)
FWIW, I have no issues with live input monitoring latency without using LLM.  Feels very tight to me, same as SONAR and Reaper.

Bob  --
--

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1