Helpful ReplyStudio One Migration

Author
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2017/11/27 06:22:24 (permalink)

Studio One Migration

I spent all weekend migrating my current project over to Studio One, learning how to setup Studio One and starting mixing in Studio One.  The process appeared very painful at first, with some roadblocks along the way to which I had to find workarounds.  I was very skeptical in that I knew that I am going to throw away 30 years of experience and knowledge on how SONAR works but realize that the time to go through this painful process is now.

I will say that at first my mind was telling me I was right in that nothing could replace Sonar or that it would take months to be able to put a project together in another DAW (learning curve).  I was wrong, once I got to know my way around a bit, it became easier and more enjoyable.

My project includes about 5 instruments triggered with MIDI.  Using Kontakt, BFD3 for drums and UVI. I also have live guitar and bass tracks along with live vocals (wave files).

I was able to save my Sonar project as a MIDI format 2 file and simply load it into Studio One.  This method copied along the tempo map from Sonar as well.  I then had to delete all the blank audio tracks that came with the MIDI file from Sonar (trying to load my audio into these tracks caused Studio One to crash).  I will also say that I was using Studio One 2 in the beginning and that may have been the problem (not the latest version with its bug fixes).  I was then able to load in all the wave files from the project directly from the SONAR audio folder of the project.

I also wanted to record some live track stuff so I redid the bass guitar directly in Studio One.

Now, the good news.  Studio One is so much more responsive than SONAR (probably because its genesis was a few years ago and not decades ago, no legacy code).  Also, the music sounds better in Studio One than it did in Sonar.  It is the exact same VSTi's, MIDI tracks and audio tracks, all mixed using the same plugins that were used in SONAR.  I did not use any native Studio One plugins.  I have no idea why this is.  A real good example of how responsive Studio One is compared to Sonar was obvious to me as soon as I imported a wave audio file into an audio track.  This would take 15 to 20 seconds in SONAR and it took less than 1 second in Studio One. Also, the project in SONAR was using about 25 - 30% CPU but in S1 it was only using 15-16%.

The GUI is quite different and I will miss the track ICONS from Sonar.  My eyesight isn't that good and the instrument track ICONs were a god send in Sonar.  The routing is different too; the options are all there but if you insert an FX bus, you can't do a send from the FX bus to any other bus.  Let's say you add an FX bus for a delay.  You insert the delay but you have NO send mechanism to sent the output of the delay to the reverb bus.  There are work arounds to this but just wanted to explain how the routing is different in S1 than SPLAT.  But, the bottom line is that I was able to do what I wanted re creating the mix.  Editing tempo maps is a bit different.  S1 has the same tight integration with Melodyne as does Splat, so nothing loss in the ARA department either.  For education purposes, I tried to load a SONAR plugin(Breverb) into S1 but it wouldn't let me with a message that Breverb can only run within Sonar.  No biggie for me in that I don't use any Cake plugins other than Channel Tools but I am sure that S1 has a replacement tool.

Bottom line, if you are thinking about Studio One and you are a long time user of SONAR, don't worry, after a few hours of project time in S1, I actually like S1 better than Sonar (time will tell but that is my current thoughts after one weekend with S1.  I think that S1 is 50% off until tomorrow, 11/27 as part of their Black Friday sale.

I already owned an earlier version of S1 and was able to upgrade to the latest (FULL) version for $99.50 directly from Prosonus web site.

Good luck to you all in finding a new DAW for your projects.  I am still very disappointed and sad over the SONAR shuttering news but hey, life goes on.  

I also want to thank all the kind folks on this forum who have helped me and others over the years.

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 06:41:54 (permalink)
Just use the 'normal' buss's and forget the FX buss's. Then it's the same as you are use to.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

kapelle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 07:49:26 (permalink)
Yep I have also spent all weekend learning Studio One and I absolutely love it. I'm a 25 year sonar user. For my projects the workflow is so much quicker than sonar that I'm saving tons of time. I'm looking at the whole sonar fiasco as a blessing in disguise.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 13:57:01 (permalink)
kapelle
Yep I have also spent all weekend learning Studio One and I absolutely love it. I'm a 25 year sonar user. For my projects the workflow is so much quicker than sonar that I'm saving tons of time. I'm looking at the whole sonar fiasco as a blessing in disguise.

You can add me to the list of converts. I find myself in exactly the same position. I have used Cakewalk/Sonar for 25 years. Having spent 2 days developing a workflow to transfering 165 projects, I am hugely impressed with Studio One. Solid and fast.  Once its midi editing catches up it will be unstoppable:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
hoodmuzic
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 14:17:37 (permalink)
I have converted to Studio One. At first I thought that I was going to miss Sonar, but I haven't due to the fact that I  am having a lot of fun creating, and writing in Studio One. I think that there are some similarities in the two DAWS, but Studio One's workflow is a lot easier and fun. Studio One seems to focus more on the modern ways of making music. The note FX feature is great and can really help with the creative process. Studio One also has it's own CLA compressor. No need to get one from Waves or UA. I am very satisfied with Studio One so far!
MarkSSwanson
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 14:23:06 (permalink)
I am considering another DAW and your comments about Studio One have me leaning toward it.  I use a lot of audio loops and input guitar tracks myself, but about 40% of my tracks are MIDI, typically synth and bass tracks.  Does Studio One have a piano roll view for MIDI input?  I find it my preferred method.  Do you know if Studio One allows use of Rapture/Dimension and V3ta+, or are these Sonar exclusive?   Thanks for any feedback on this.
jimkleban
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 14:38:56 (permalink)
Yes, S1 has a piano view for MIDI editing... it isn't as robust as SPLAT but it surfices.  I haven't done to much editing but it is there. Hurry, if you are going to pull the trigger and save 50%.  Sale ends today, 11/27.

www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
Splat (latest version)
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 14:41:29 (permalink)
MarkSSwanson
I am considering another DAW and your comments about Studio One have me leaning toward it.  I use a lot of audio loops and input guitar tracks myself, but about 40% of my tracks are MIDI, typically synth and bass tracks.  Does Studio One have a piano roll view for MIDI input?  I find it my preferred method.  Do you know if Studio One allows use of Rapture/Dimension and V3ta+, or are these Sonar exclusive?   Thanks for any feedback on this.

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes, and no they are not SONAR exclusive

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

ibediggin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 14:45:07 (permalink)
can anyone compare mixcraft 8 with studio 1
thank guys

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
.komplete audio 6
WINDOWS 10
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 16:12:46 (permalink)
I spent a bunch of the weekend with SO3.  I often struggled to find how to do something (render Melodyne edits for example), but nearly always eventually found it.  

I miss docking plugins in skylight.  I miss the event editor too.  

By comparison, if I wanted to use Addictive Drums 2, all i had to do was pull the plugin into the main window, click on separate outs on AD2, then go to the mix window.  I could click on the plugin name and it would give me the option of creating individual channels for kick, snare, hats... with the tracks already named.  That is so much more efficient than having to set the tracks up manually, tho saving a template gets around it the second time.  

I am anxious to try this with my own drum patterns.  I use a zendrum to put the beats in and usually do (1)kick/snare, (2)hats, (3)cymbals, (4)toms...In sonar, the 1-2-3-4 showed up as separate clips.  that means that if I came back to it later and wanted a different syncopation on the hats for example, i only had to mute the hat clips and retrack.  Not sure on SO3.  Will keep you posted.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 16:14:10 (permalink)
Hi, like many of you, I pulled the trigger on Studio One. I was a huge SONAR loyal user and am absolutely aghast at what Gibson has done to me beloved DAW.

I reluctantly purchased Studio One Professional. I am keeping an open mind and am willing to put my all into learning this new (to me) DAW.

I did some tests and found something that is bugging me a bit. Hopefully someone can put some of this to rest...

I took some recent drum tracks (real acoustic drums that I miced up myself) and used them as my test.
I imported the raw tracks into Studio One and SONAR. No effects at all. I made a crude balancing mix and made notes of exact levels. I duplicated that crude mix in both SONAR and Studio One, then exported.

I imported those two crude mixes side by side so I could compare. I can swear that the SONAR mix has more depth and an extended low end. I thought that maybe this could be a bias or some kind of placebo effect.

I flipped the phase on each mix, after making sure they are 100% sample aligned. The should null, but did not. There is indeed a difference. I don't think it is pan laws either.

I am really worried that Studio One is not as good at summing as SONAR, and I really want it to be because I just spent the money on it.

Also, I HATE that fact that in order to flip the phase on a track I have to actually use a plugin as opposed to SONAR having it built in. Do you suppose Studio One could ever implement a phase flipping switch like SONAR?

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 17:02:46 (permalink)
jimkleban

I already owned an earlier version of S1 and was able to upgrade to the latest (FULL) version for $99.50 directly from Prosonus web site.

First, thanks for sharing your positive experience with your migration! Likely I will see you at the S1 forum in the future!

From your upgrade price, looks like you had the same version of S1 that I did.  I just wanted to mention to anyone planning to do a similar upgrade... Do yourself a favor and check out retailers like jrrshop or audiodeluxe.  They are currently offering discounts on top of the retail price you'd pay through Presonus.

That $99 upgrade cost me $83.98 at Audiodeluxe.  I received the code within 5 minutes of payment, and it took me maybe a minute to login to Presonus and use that code to  "unlock" my Studio One to v3 Professional.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 17:05:44 (permalink)
Sylvan

I flipped the phase on each mix, after making sure they are 100% sample aligned. The should null, but did not. There is indeed a difference. I don't think it is pan laws either.

I am really worried that Studio One is not as good at summing as SONAR, and I really want it to be because I just spent the money on it.

Also, I HATE that fact that in order to flip the phase on a track I have to actually use a plugin as opposed to SONAR having it built in....

Sylvan, any chance the problem is with the phase invert plugin?  Maybe try a different one and see if you get identical results...

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Sylvan
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 17:30:53 (permalink)
JonD
Sylvan

Also, I HATE that fact that in order to flip the phase on a track I have to actually use a plugin as opposed to SONAR having it built in....

Sylvan, any chance the problem is with the phase invert plugin?  Maybe try a different one and see if you get identical results...

That could be. I will investigate further. I can post a video of my tests later as well if others want to see and hear what I am talking about. I know eventually I have to move on, but it just makes me realize how great SONAR really is or was. Having said that, I have tried Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, and Cubase and I like Studio One the best out of that bunch. I just hope that Studio One's audio engine/summing is up to snuff as well as SONAR's is.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 19:01:18 (permalink)
Sylvan
I imported those two crude mixes side by side so I could compare. I can swear that the SONAR mix has more depth and an extended low end. I thought that maybe this could be a bias or some kind of placebo effect.

That is not the consensus outside the world of Sonar. I don't have an opinion as of yet, but if you were using the Prochannel in Sonar, that "sound" would definitely be different than straight out of any other DAW.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Sylvan
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 19:15:53 (permalink)
No Pro Channel. No FX of any kind, just fader balancing on raw tracks. I wanted to keep the test fair. The only plugin used was a plugin to flip the phase of the bottom snare track in Studio One, since it cannot flip phase otherwise like SONAR can.

I will test further to try and get more concrete info and results. I really am hoping that Studio One is up to the task since I already purchased it.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 20:21:52 (permalink)
Sylvan
No Pro Channel. No FX of any kind, just fader balancing on raw tracks. I wanted to keep the test fair. The only plugin used was a plugin to flip the phase of the bottom snare track in Studio One, since it cannot flip phase otherwise like SONAR can.

I will test further to try and get more concrete info and results. I really am hoping that Studio One is up to the task since I already purchased it.

It assuredly is. I've seen null tests between the various DAW's before and they should and do null. Something is wrong in your setup.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/27 20:43:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2017/11/27 20:53:35
I have already explained this in another thread. I have done DAW comparisons between 4 DAW's. Sonar, Studio One, Logic and Pro Tools. Use quality raw tracks in all 4. No plugins used. Just maintained pan laws and used LCR panning and set faders the same in all 4. Got perfect nulls between any 2 from all 4. A room full of great engineers had no idea which DAW they were listening to.

Once you start bringing plugins in then things will start to change. Stock Studio One plugins are excellent and can do a wonderful mix. Third party plugs sound the same in any DAW. Studio One sounds fabulous and can do a great mix. Please stop saying otherwise.  Any mix that is lacking is totally your doing, not the DAW.

I have worked with a few DAW's over the years and if you can hear the sounds you are after in your head, and you know how to get there, then you will arrive at that point.  It is you that arrives at that point not the DAW.  I can get an identical mix in any DAW I use. 

I could actually say the audio engine in Studio One is superior. It is totally seamless and gapless which some other DAW's are not. It can do stuff that will amaze you while it plays perfectly e.g. dragging plugins and instruments in and auditioning all while it is playing. It loops amazingly well too. 
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/11/27 21:24:19

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
kapelle
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/28 00:10:06 (permalink)
The midi complaints of Studio One scared me but once I downloaded and played with it I find myself actually editing midi much faster than in sonar.
jimkleban
Re: Studio One Migration 2017/11/28 00:11:04 (permalink)
Well, I am on the other side.  My project migration has the mix sounded better to my ears than the mix was in SONAR (which I liked the mix in sonar) only I like it better in S1.  Could have been the pan laws I had set in Sonar vs what they are in S1 (I have no idea if you can change them in S1 yet).  But, the placement of the audio sources in S1 seem to be much better defined.  The Sonar mix stereo field sounds mushy as compared to the S1 stereo field.

But, this all could be wishful thinking.  Same thing happened whenever I purchased new golf clubs... the first few times out on the course with them I was playing better golf and then slowly but surely, a few months later, the same old ****ty swing came back home to Papa.

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
Splat (latest version)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1