Helpful ReplyStudio One looks WAY too crude

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:27:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ionian 2017/11/26 03:22:18
I have been using studio one for a year. It rocks. Doesn't have all the features of sonar, but also has far less bloat. The downside of being a mature product is all the old code Frankensteined into product to make it work. Bakers have had to figure how to modernize program while leaving ancient crap intact. I applaud them for making it work but it certainly doesn't increase stability. I'm more productive in studio one for a number of reasons. It took years to get controllers working properly in sonar without using azlow's software. Even finicky and poorly supported products like my Akai MPD26 worked instantly in studio one. Not bashing sonar. Love sonar, but some of it's shortcomings for me were helped greatly by S1. My familiarity with Sonar means i still use in clutch, but there are certain things i do in S1 that are so much easier than sonar.
post edited by dubdisciple - 2017/11/26 05:04:58
hbarton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:31:25 (permalink)
mritenburg
I sat down with the S1 demo for about an hour last night and hated it.

Today I downloaded the complete manual and started going through step by step:
1. How do I loop a measure?
Place the loop markers around the measure you want to loop and make sure that the enable loop button is on (blue). The loop button is at the bottom of the interface to the right of the record enable button.
2. How do I create the equivalent of groove clips?
Sorry, I don't use these so I am not sure what they are. If you want to replay the same MIDI, select the MIDI and press D for duplicate (as many times as you want).
3. How do I draw in midi notes?
Open the Event viewer for an instrument (you will open the piano roll) and use the tools to add/modify MIDI notes with the tools (Paint, Cut, etc.).
4. Where do I add effects?
Channel effects are drag and drop. Open the Browser (F5) and select an effect from the Effects tab.
5. How do I add a mix bus?
SO recently added VCAs and you probably want these for buses. Select the tracks you want to add to a bus and right click - add VCA. 
6. Where are my compressors?
With your effects in the browser as above. Drag and drop is king with SO but you can also select effects from the using the Console view. Click the + in the Insert area above the fader and brows to you compressor (but more clicking that just dragging).
7. What's the equivalent of LP EQ?
Not sure what you mean.
etc.

I'm not entirely sold on S1, but I did manage to find everything that I use on a regular basis except some of my plugins.  I need to figure out that.

mritenburg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:33:07 (permalink)
mikedocy
Agree that the graphics are not as nice as Sonar but S1P is deeper than it appears.
There are many time-savers if you get to know the work flow. There is a learning curve that "pays" for itself once you get comfortable with it.

I'd argue that graphics are better.  Who needs knobs to look 3D?  All that means is a hit on your CPU and Memory.
mritenburg
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:34:25 (permalink)
hbarton
mritenburg

Place the loop markers around the measure you want to loop and make sure that the enable loop button is on (blue). The loop button is at the bottom of the interface to the right of the record enable button.
Sorry, I don't use these so I am not sure what they are. If you want to replay the same MIDI, select the MIDI and press D for duplicate (as many times as you want).
Open the Event viewer for an instrument (you will open the piano roll) and use the tools to add/modify MIDI notes with the tools (Paint, Cut, etc.).
Channel effects are drag and drop. Open the Browser (F5) and select an effect from the Effects tab.
SO recently added VCAs and you probably want these for buses. Select the tracks you want to add to a bus and right click - add VCA. 
With your effects in the browser as above. Drag and drop is king with SO but you can also select effects from the using the Console view. Click the + in the Insert area above the fader and brows to you compressor (but more clicking that just dragging).
Not sure what you mean.
etc.

I'm not entirely sold on S1, but I did manage to find everything that I use on a regular basis except some of my plugins.  I need to figure out that.

You misinterpreted my post.  I implied that I found all the answers in the manual.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:35:28 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I have been usimg studio one for a year. It rocks. Doesn't have all the fearures of sonar, but also has far less bloat. The dowside of being a mature product is all the old code Frankensteined into product to make it work. Bakers have had to figure how to modernize program while leaving ancient crap intact. I applaud them for making it work but it certainly doesn't increase stability. I'm more productive in studio one for a number of reasons. It took years to get controllers working properly in sonar without using azlow's software. Even finicky and poorly supported products like my Akai MPD26 worked instantly in studio one. Not bashing sonar. Love sonar, but some of it's shortcomings for me were helped greatly by S1. My familiarity with Sonar means i still use in clutch, but there are certain things i do in S1 that are so much easier than sonar.

Yes, that is true, but we loved it for what it was. S1 is nothing in comparison. It can do only about 40% of what I can do in Somar. I absolutely can not do the music I did in S1 that I did in Sonar. I expect it to be different, but when people say it's the same... I'm sorry but no it is not. S1 is a million miles away from Sonar. The only thing closer is Cubase and that is sh*t as well. There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:37:19 (permalink)
Flat interfaces have been the New Black for a couple of years now. 

The funniest part of all of this is that version 2 of Studio One had a different GUI. It was the obvious inspiration for Cakewalk when they moved to the X-series. Then, Studio One changed their interface to what it is now. I think the interface is decent, but the sharpness and color adjustments make a huge impact on how much of the interface seems to bleed together. Took a month to finally get it where I liked it.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:39:48 (permalink)
mritenburg

etc.

Had to edit my post since Hbarton already answered most of your questions.  I'll try to answer the remaining one:

7. Studio One found the Cakewalk LP EQ and it seems to work.

I downloaded the Studio One demo last night.  I also have more questions about Studio One.  So far, the experienced Studio One folks have been very helpful.  I'm not yet sure which DAW will eventually replace SONAR.

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
mritenburg
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:41:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ionian 2017/11/26 03:24:43
35mm
There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Reality Check: If it was "that good" how come it didn't have millions of users who are willing to pay 10's of thousands of dollars every few years like protools users?  I'm a life-long Cakewalk/Sonar user, but face it, most of the 7 billion people on this planet have chosen other tools.
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:49:49 (permalink)
Mritenberg, a lot of your questions were answered but i will try to fill in some blanks.

The simple answer to 7 is there is no direct equivalent to LP EQ. The pro eq included is very good and does a trick or two i don't believe quadcurve can, but it is not linear phase. In the flipside, sonar does not have a project mastering suite like S1 does. S1 will not compete directly with total included effects and instruments because 1) no way a young product can come out the gate with 20+ years of plugins 2) much of these are third party plugs. Even some of the better plugs in sonar are sold seperate add-ons that got old enough to be giveaways. Both rapture and z3ta ( and possibly dim pro) have been given away as freebies with magazines. Your LP EQ might work in S1. In the past cakewalk only locked third party plugs, but i know adaptive limiter is locked

For 5 there are a few ways. You can right click on a track and choose to create bus, vca bus or fx channel ( all are basically busses).
dubdisciple
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 02:55:35 (permalink)
35 mm i respect your opinion, but I'm sure you realize experiences are going to vary. As much as i love sonar, i had to eliminate it early as a contender to use in studio i built for middle school kids in urban area. Sonar's workflow makes modern urban pop/RnB and hip-hop painful. I can make those genres in Sonar. It's not impossible and once you figure it, there are features that actually kick ass for such things. Problem is most kids would get too frustrated before they got to that point. The lack of a basic sampler was a dealbreaker
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 03:04:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby doncolga 2017/11/26 03:42:50
35mm
Yes, that is true, but we loved it for what it was. S1 is nothing in comparison. It can do only about 40% of what I can do in Somar. I absolutely can not do the music I did in S1 that I did in Sonar. I expect it to be different, but when people say it's the same... I'm sorry but no it is not. S1 is a million miles away from Sonar. The only thing closer is Cubase and that is sh*t as well. There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Seems like you keep hammering the same point home but have yet to mention a single thing Sonar does that S1 can't do. Saying it can only do 40% of what Sonar can do is a very bold claim.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 03:09:31 (permalink)
The new LP plugs from Cakewalk work in Studio One 3. Although I must say the first time I tried one in S13 it crashed Studio One. The first time in 2 1/2 years that Studio One has ever crashed on me, and still the only time, the irony that it was a Cakewalk Product that caused it was not lost on me lol

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 04:49:38 (permalink)
I gotta say, I spent about 3 hours with S1 tonight in my studio.  I don't think there is much that it can't do.  How to do it is different, but functionally it is pretty close to Sonar.  There are even some things it does more efficiently (better).  There is a learning curve to be sure.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 06:17:48 (permalink)
There's not a lot of glitz and glamour to SO3, but it's come so far since version one, and it's a great program for getting things done quickly.  I am primarily moving to Cubase, but I have had S1 Pro since version 1, and have kept it up.  I mainly used it for collaboration projects at church which is 100% mac shop, and using presonus studio live mixers, but I've also done a few projects on it.  Personally I always felt I could get better results with Sonar, but that may just be me. although in playing around with Cubase I seem to get better results with it as well.  I think the effects in Sonar and in Cubase sound better, but that's subjective.  I absolutely loved the Sonitus EQ's as well as the pro channel effects.  The S1 effects are OK, they are great for folks who are new to recording or just want to get things done quick.  To me Midi is the one thing that really holds S1 back from being a truly great product, IMO.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 07:27:01 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
35mm

Seems like you keep hammering the same point home but have yet to mention a single thing Sonar does that S1 can't do. Saying it can only do 40% of what Sonar can do is a very bold claim.

You do seem to be on the warpath 35mm:) There are things I miss from Sonar, event view in particular, but I am yet to find anything that 'can't be done'.

Perhaps you will find ways to complete your opus if you spend a bit more time with it. Sometimes its just a matter of letting go of old habits.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 07:34:28 (permalink)
doncolga

Same experience here.  The very first thing most useful for me in the S1 GUI was the ease of track management with the Track List that was so easy to get to, or just keep on the screen.  I found high track counts hard to manage in the Sonar GUI...massive amounts of scrolling and clicking; much easier for me in S1.

Once you learn how a handful of common bread and butter things are done in S1, it's really efficient for workflow.  

I thought exactly that this morning setting up a lighting control Studio One 'song' with 135 midi tracks that I transfered from Sonar. Seems pretty straightforward and well thought out to me. Kind of starting to feel like I have decluttered:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 08:18:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/11/26 11:05:32
Studio One seems to have a faster, smoother workflow than Sonar. I played with the demo today, didn't read the manual (much), and managed to record and mix a "song," MIDI drums, synth bass, Addictive Keys piano, electric guitar. As a songwriter this is the kind of project I normally do. I did some auto-punches on the MIDI tracks and experimented with many effects. An example of smoother workflow: S1 activated input echo and armed for record on any track I clicked on. In SONAR I often had to click on a track, enable input echo, go back to the previous MIDI track I'd been working on, disable input echo there, then go back to the MIDI track I wanted to hear, ad infinitum. There were other examples, but you get the idea.

Frankly I don't care what the GUI looks like as long as I can see it and use it. For me a bigger concern is do I want to start new projects in a discontinued DAW that is not being developed or supported? SONAR is the only DAW I've ever used. I know it, I'm good at it, and I like it. I'll keep it installed, and no doubt I'll go back to it from time to time. But it might be time to move on.

Note to everybody: The odds of Cakewalk being resurrected after being shut down like this are very slim. Don't hang your hopes on that dream.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 08:40:46 (permalink)
Had my first "glitch" this morning...

Audio stopped, even though the song was still playing. The meter on my OCTA-CAPTURE was at FSD.

I couldn't find a way in SO3 to reset things so I shut down it down and restarted it.

In fact, I have it playing something in the background and it has just stopped again...

So, that is a little bit worrying.

That said, SO3 didn't crash and I was able to save the song.

Anyway, as for the looks, I can't see the problem... The more I use it the more I like it. I just need to suss out why my audio keeps crashing...

I might even buy it before any crossgrade announcement.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 08:47:46 (permalink)
Since I use both DAWS, if you don't know S1 or have not really tried to use/learn it, I recommend holding off on bashing it until you do. It really can provide a great platform for many users. 
It's funny reading some of the comments here from people that don't know it but make bold claims of what it isn't or can't do. I appreciate those that are learning it that have good things to say about.

The point is if you are looking for another DAW, you have to do solid homework so that what you choose works for you. But you really won't know that until you try it.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 11:07:27 (permalink)
Sort of ironic that folks with hundreds (or more) hours under their belt with SONAR complain they cannot master a new DAW in a few hours (these posts are everywhere now). Perhaps it is karma for the newbies in here that suffered when learning SONAR, but a few hours isn't going to gain a truckload of empathy from most.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
musichoo
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 13:12:58 (permalink)
I have 10 years with sonar and 2 months with S1 3. I am very happy with S1 because it is more stable than Sonar on my pc. Yes there is a learning curve. I watched groove3 and youtube videos. And the end I could complete my midi sequencing, audio recording, comping, mixing and mastering. I think it is a very well designed, efficient and logical DAW.

I don't think it is fair to bash a daw just because you had tried it for 2 to 3 hours. How much time did you spend on Sonar before you can complete a project? You should give it at least 2 to 3 days when you are demoing a Daw. Or else you will never know what you had missed.

And also I personally do not think why we should be loyal to a piece of software. It make sense to be loyal to your friends, family or the company you work for. But Gibson did not stay loyal to us?

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 13:15:15 (permalink)
tenfoot
RSMCGUITAR
35mm

You do seem to be on the warpath 35mm:) There are things I miss from Sonar, event view in particular, but I am yet to find anything that 'can't be done'.

Perhaps you will find ways to complete your opus if you spend a bit more time with it. Sometimes its just a matter of letting go of old habits.

Yes Bruce, I think I kind of am on the warpath. The whole Cakewalk going down the tubes thing still stings. I had been out to a gig and had rather a lot to drink last night when I was posting my comments on S1 and trying to choose a DAW for the future is a frustrating process. So yes, I was having a drunken rant and letting all that frustration get the better of me! I did say some things that are unfair to S1, but in an earlier post, I did make it more obvious that I was talking about my specific needs. In all honesty, I think S1 is really going somewhere, but for me, it just doesn't seem to be quite there yet. I think people have hyped it up a bit so when I started using the demo it was a disappointment compared to what I am used to, but then so is everything else. Sorry for the drunken rants everyone :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Midiboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 13:45:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/11/26 15:17:29
outland144k

O[font="'book antiqua', palatino; color: #003366"]kay, let me see if I understand you. You think this:

looks like this:

Really? I'm not criticizing whether you like it or not as that's an entirely personal decision, but you honestly think that these are somehow similar? You think Studio One is based on Kristal? How?

I can't see it at all.

While I agree that current Studio One looks nothing like Kristal, I hate to break it to you...it IS based on Kristal.  They created Studio One in collaboration with Presonus.   Yes, it's come a VERY long way. 

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 14:46:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/11/26 15:17:40
I have converted half a dozen projects from Sonar to SO and, so far, it is amazing. I find it can do things in a much more streamlined fashion than Sonar, and I love Sonar. In many respects, we Sonarians have led a bit of a sheltered life and the other DAW's have kept improving around us. It usually takes me an hour or so to get a new project setup, instruments all mapped and ready to roll. With SO, I had the same sized projects setup in 15 minutes.

Projects that struggled in Sonar when running a lower buffer sizes work great in SO with their new Dropout Protection and Low Latency Monitoring. At first, I was getting worse pops and crackles in SO until I changed the settings to enable these two features.

The interface may be flat looking, but it does work very well and everything is right at your fingertips.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 14:56:57 (permalink)
dcumpian we Sonarians have led a bit of a sheltered life and the other DAW's have kept improving around us.

^^^this
i never even thought of looking at another daw until during the x1 mess when other forum users kept saying about the ui change "it's like learning a new app" - so i did

just a sec

Antler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 487
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 16:49:59 (permalink)
I'd been thinking about getting a FaderPort control surface for a while now. I had since decided to put the thought to one side as I read they didn't behave that well with Sonar.

Am I right in thinking they work really well with Studio One (both being made by the same company)?
hbarton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 17:03:11 (permalink)
Antler
I'd been thinking about getting a FaderPort control surface for a while now. I had since decided to put the thought to one side as I read they didn't behave that well with Sonar.

Am I right in thinking they work really well with Studio One (both being made by the same company)?

Hey Antler,
Short answer is yes. If you are thinking about more channel control, you might want to look at the Faderport 8 or newer 16. 
As I have said here before - Presonus is both a HW and SW company and tightly integrates their HW with SW since they write and control both.

Take care,

WallyG
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 17:20:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/11/26 18:30:26
dwardzala
I gotta say, I spent about 3 hours with S1 tonight in my studio.  I don't think there is much that it can't do.  How to do it is different, but functionally it is pretty close to Sonar.  There are even some things it does more efficiently (better).  There is a learning curve to be sure.

I agree. One neat feature is if you forget to turn ON your audio interface with Sonar, you have to hit no and close the program and restart. With S1 it tell you there is no Audio Interface, please connect (or turn ON, dummy!) and click retry... Small feature, but nice.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 18:07:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/11/26 18:30:40
I'm not sure why, but the manual for Studio One doesn't do it any favors. For example, someone posted in here that the way Studio One handled tempo changes was basic and more or less useless. If it only did what was in the manual, I'd agree. But it does so much more...it's really easy to draw lines, which isn't mentioned, and the timeline compresses or expands to reflect the tempo change, which is brilliant (and also not mentioned). It's easy to duplicate tempo changes, and you can even edit non-contiguous tempo changes easily.

I was also sorely disappointed there was no Exclusive Solo button, nor was one mentioned in the manual. But if you hold Alt on Windows or Option on the Mac while clicking on a Solo button, it becomes an Exclusive Solo. 

Furthermore, I was distraught that you couldn't edit Acidized files. But the way SOP handles timestretching means it's not really necessary, and you can still tweak transient markers. 

As I've said before, I've continued to use Studio One for its mastering page for album assembly and mastering tweaks in parallel with SONAR. The idea of taking advantage of SOP's Song and Project page integration is pretty exciting to me, and something that no other DAW has. Yes, there's a learning curve...I think there's no way around that.

SOP is deceptively simple looking, but there's more under the hood than it might seem at first. No, I don't think it looks as good as SONAR, but nothing else does IMHO. Things like adding FX to clips is also clunkier, but then again, there are things SOP does that are clunky to do in SONAR.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Studio One looks WAY too crude 2017/11/26 18:12:23 (permalink)
I like some of the simple things like being able to drag a curve on automation whereas in SONAR you have to right click on a section of line and select the curve type.

I use lots of automation and therefore the SO3 method does save me time.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1