Helpful ReplyStuttering in Sonar X3 Studio

Author
chargerboy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
2018/11/26 19:42:16 (permalink)

Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio

Good day to all:)..I have searched all over the internet and tried just about every proposed solution to remedy the stuttering I"m experiencing in Sonar X3.I have deduced the problem to the Sonar software conflicting with Windows 7 Pro. My reasoning is because  I have 3 different audio interfsces,Scarlett Solo, M-Audio Transit USB and Lexicon Alpha and I get the same random stuttering.I have a pretty powerful computer  and an abundance of Ram so I know it's not a lack of power.I tried all the optimizing suggestions such as change power plan to high performance.Disabled anti virus software,.Disabled Wi fi..I downloaded the latest drivers for my audio interface.And a host of other things all  to no avail. I get the random stuttering with only a few tracks of soft synths. I had the same set up on my older computer and it was rock solid.And I didn't even bother to optimize that computer. Heck,  I left Wifi on even when I was mixing down because I was so comfortable with how stable it was .My newer computer is about 3 times as powerful, 2X the Ram and I am having these stuttering issues. Its just so perplexing. I downloaded Latency Monitor to maybe track down the culprit and thought I might have had something there. I was getting a high reading with something related to the USB port..Something like USB 3.0 just extender. I actually  uninstalled it disconnected a few USB  ports.  And still was getting random stuttering..

The bottom line is through all the dissecting and optimizing and disabling I still came back to the simple fact that I never had to do any of this with a computer that was of lesser power.And I tried to mimic the same set up I have with older computer to my newer one..I feel like it's a simple fix like there is some driver conflicting with another but I just do not know what it seems to be..Any help would be so greatly appreciated.. Thank you.

Sonar X3 Studio
M-Audio  Transit USB audio interface ( I know this is a older interface but was rock solid on older computer.)
Dell Precision Workstation 4800MQ 
Win7 64 Pro.
Intel Core i7-4800MQ, 2.7 GHz
1Tb SSD.    32Gb Ram

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 20:27:46 (permalink)
What CPU usage is your PC running at when the stuttering begins?  It it's not getting very high, you probably have plenty of power for those soft synths.  If it is peaking, try freezing those synths.

What ASIO audio buffer size are you using (the latency of your audio interface)?  Try increasing it until the stuttering goes away.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 20:38:35 (permalink)
Which Buffer Size Setting Should I Use in My DAW?
https://www.sweetwater.co...hould-i-use-in-my-daw/

promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 20:40:52 (permalink)
Update to Cakewalk by Bandlab and see if the problem occur there also.....

Have you disabled Core parking?

Maybe try renaming your AUD.ini file (with X3 closed of course) so X3 can rebuilt it.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
chargerboy
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 21:53:14 (permalink)
Hey Promidi, I have my latency of audio interface set to 512 figuring that would certainly be safe .As I said in my initial post I experienced no issues with stuttering with my older computer and the latency was set to 256.
And as far as the core parking and AUD.ini. file I'm afraid you are going to have to explain how to do those task..Always interested to learn how to do new task.Thank you!
chargerboy
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 22:08:01 (permalink)
Hi Abacab.  My buffer size is at 512 on my audio interface. And my CPU usage is very  low on the performance meter.Its like at  5 percent .I only have Battery 4 and 4 other vst synth instances in the project so far I have never had an issue regarding the amount of instruments in my project so I know the computer is definitely powerful enough. I did notice those meter lights of the performance module spike when the stuttering happens. Also .I do have sample rate at 48K  16bit 

promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 22:25:28 (permalink)
As far as Core parking, go start run and enter the following: (copy and paste rather than typing)

control.exe powercfg.cpl,,3

Then under Processor power management (Should be second from the bottom), set both Minimum and Maximum processor rate to 100%.  Make sure System Cooling Policy is set to Active (This should be set to that already)

Regarding the AUD.ini file

Your AUD.ini file should be in your X3 folder which is in this folder %appdata%\Cakewalk.

On my system, there is an AUD.ini file under a "Sonar Platinum" folder and another one under a "Cakewalk Core" folder.    Rename it rather than delete it.  I , personally would turn off before doing the AUD.ini thing.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
abacab
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 22:32:00 (permalink)
Set your buffer to 1024 and see what happens.  Not saying to leave it there permanently, just try as a troubleshooting step.

And which meter in the performance module was spiking?

The Performance module contains the following controls:

CPU meters. The CPU meters let you monitor your computer’s CPU activity. Right-click the CPU meters to specify the global CPU meter mode:

> Audio Processing. Measures Cakewalk’s audio processing load, which is the time it takes to process a
buffer full of audio data as a percentage of the maximum time available to process that data and maintain uninterrupted playback. There is one CPU meter for each core in your computer, up to 32 cores. There is some tolerance built into the meter, so it is possible that it will exceed 100% at times (more so during recording than playback).

> System Performance. Displays the global system-wide load across all cores, as reported by the
operating system rather than by measuring Cakewalk’s audio processing load.

> Overall App Performance. Displays a single CPU meter for the entire Cakewalk process CPU utilization
across all cores.

Disk Activity indicator. Measures how much of the available time Cakewalk is using to perform input/
output functions on your hard disk. The size of your setup’s I/O buffer size (listed under File System in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Sync and Caching) determines how much time is allowed to perform disk operations and maintain uninterrupted playback. When Cakewalk performs disk operations, the Disk Activity indicator changes color from yellow to red to indicate the time Cakewalk is taking to complete each cycle of disk input/output. A red icon indicates very high data activity.

Disk Space meter. Shows the amount of available space on the drive where your wave data directory is
located. The tooltip shows the actual remaining disk space on your audio disk.

Memory Usage (RAM) meter. Shows the total memory (RAM) usage by your computer, not just by Cakewalk.

abacab
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/26 23:52:39 (permalink)
And I was just thinking about Sonar X3 and the CPU performance meter modes.  The meter was enhanced in Sonar Platinum with the additional modes. 

They are available in Cakewalk by Bandlab, which you can install for free, alongside of Sonar X3.  https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

All of your plugins from X3 Studio will remain available for use in the new Cakewalk, in addition you get all the advantages of the core Platinum DAW feature set for free, plus any improvements made this year through updates issued by BandLab.

And you can keep using X3 Studio if you wish, but also have the opportunity to test the latest and greatest!

HIBI
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/27 09:29:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steev 2018/11/28 16:51:25
When I started using Sonar X3 Studio on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, there was stuttering. So I did try many solutions but did not get good results.
Finally, if I disabled "Intel EIST" and "C1E Support" on BIOS (mine was AMI BIOS) then stuttering was gone. (Maybe these are called C-STATE Tech, Enhanced HALT State and etc on the other BIOS)

HIBI (Mad Marsa)     Twitter, Facebook

New official Cakewalk forum.
About new forum, read this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3806006
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/27 20:25:54 (permalink)
HIBI
... I disabled "Intel EIST" and "C1E Support" on BIOS (mine was AMI BIOS) then stuttering was gone. (Maybe these are called C-STATE Tech, Enhanced HALT State and etc on the other BIOS)

Excellent suggestion.  OP said he tried "all the optimizing suggestions" but some folks tend to forget about (or are afraid to mess with) anything in the BIOS.  This one is definitely worth trying if he hasn't already.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Stuttering in Sonar X3 Studio 2018/11/28 00:20:02 (permalink)
I know you checked your ASIO buffer, but what's your MIDI buffer set at?
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1