Stuttering, popping and crackling upon audio playback

Author
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
2016/03/15 01:43:12 (permalink)

Stuttering, popping and crackling upon audio playback

First, a little back story: for quite a while I was having issues with CPU spikes when working with MIDI (Kontakt 5, Engine, etc.). There was a very interesting and useful thread that had a solution. The solution was to go into Sonar's preferences, set "Enable Set Threaded Ideal Processor" to false, and adjust the "Mix Thread Count" number until the problem went away.. Setting the Mix Thread Count to four seemed to get rid of the CPU spikes on core one and distributed the workload across all of my cores. 

However, just yesterday I was working on a track that only contained five audio tracks and four buses. Each track had two instances of Slate VMR, and each of the buses had one instance of VMR, Relab LX480, and Slate VTM. Simply playing back the audio would give me quite frequent stuttering, pops and crackles. I decided to try a few more adjustment of the Mix Thread Count. Finally, setting that number to 6 fixed my problem. That's it. One moment I have horrible noise upon playback of audio. I changed that one setting from four to six and the problem goes away completely. 

My question is this: why am I having these issues? Why don't the default settings in Sonar seem to be compatible with my computer all of a sudden (I've been using Sonar X3 and now Platinum on my current laptop for over three years now without these issues, which have started in the past couple of months)? 

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49

2 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Stuttering, popping and crackling upon audio playback 2016/03/15 01:57:54 (permalink)
    Could be many things.  As a starting point, are you using the latest drivers for the PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface? Available from here.  http://www.presonus.com/s...downloads/AudioBox-USB

There have been other reports that an enabled wifi card could be the culprit.  

Also , is it plugged directly into a USB port on your PC, not a USB hub? 

Others may offer other possibilities.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    skitch_84
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 480
    Re: Stuttering, popping and crackling upon audio playback 2016/03/16 00:53:26 (permalink)
    promidi
    Could be many things.  As a starting point, are you using the latest drivers for the PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface? Available from here.  http://www.presonus.com/s...downloads/AudioBox-USB

There have been other reports that an enabled wifi card could be the culprit.  

Also , is it plugged directly into a USB port on your PC, not a USB hub? 

Others may offer other possibilities.

Yes, I have the latest AudioBox USB driver installed, and it's plugged directly into my laptop. I disabled my wifi card when I first got the computer because I heard that it could cause issues like this. Still looking for the culprit :(

Chris Porter
    www.cportermusic.com
    Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
    Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
    Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1