Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels....

Author
telewacker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2010/08/20 10:38:47 (permalink)

Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels....

I currently have a new PC running Sonar 8.5 with an old Delta66 audio card. I now have a space where I can record a whole band so I need a new interface with minimum 8 channels, preferably 12. What do you suggest? I assume I can get a usb type of interface instead of my old pci. It has been 8 or 9years since I have looked at interfaces and I am out of the loop. I don't have firewire but I was told that it was on the way out and that usb2.0 was taking over. Budget is up to $1000-1500. Thanks for the help in advance.

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 10:50:47 (permalink)
    If I had your budget I'd go with the RME Fireface UC.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/RME-Fireface-UC-Compact-36Channel-FireWire-Interface?sku=703646

I don't think firewire will go away anytime soon.  there are too many peripherals still in use.  true, the apple laptops no longer have firewire on them, but firewire protocol will still be in use for several years to come.

having said that I just upgraded from a delta 44 (same basic card as the 66 but without the digital I/O connector) to a MOTU ultralite hybrid.  If I had your budget I'd also have considered the 896mk3 instead.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 11:17:40 (permalink)
    +1 for the RME Fireface UC. Its one of the best USB Sound cards out right now and there preamps are very transparent and their drivers are superb
    You can also look into Echo audio and Motu, as those cards offer great quality at a lower price than ME, but ME is thought to be better than those 2
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 11:27:17 (permalink)
    RME would be my choice if I was upgrading now but only on recommendation rather than me personally using it. As soon as I save my pennies or my new album goes double Lead I will upgrade to that. It's your PC that does all the work though. Even the man from RME confirms that.

The audio interface does not "process" or "handle" audio projects as such. The DAW software does, using the CPU (or an additional DSP card). In principle, the audio interface receives a finished product, i.e. a downmix. Whether this is a mix of 2 or 200 tracks is not something the audio interface is even aware of.

tfkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 11:28:43 (permalink)
    I don't think firewire will go away anytime soon. 

Agree.

I'm on the low end, interface wise, with a Presonus FireBox but I operate at low latencies and have smooth, dependable operation.  I never had low latency or dependable operation from any of the USB interfaces I tried.  Never had one moment's trouble with it, it was working 10 minutes after I took it out of the box and has been ever since.

I don't have the room to record bands, so I concentrate on soloists and making soundtracks and ads.

I feel no need to change what I have, but if I wanted more I/O, that RME would be the way I'd go.

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    telewacker
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 11:41:57 (permalink)
    Excuse my ignorance, as I have only worked with my delta66 using one or 2 channels at a time, but how do I connect 6 or 8 drum mics, a bass di, 2 gtr mics, keys di and vocals to the RME unit??? Do I have to get an external mixer to connect to the RME unit to utilize all of the channels??? I am a little confused.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 12:35:47 (permalink)
    Not sure how this comes out pricewise in $$ but this is what I use....... it's fantastic

http://www.allen-heath.com/zed/zed-R16.asp

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 12:41:42 (permalink)
    telewacker

Excuse my ignorance, as I have only worked with my delta66 using one or 2 channels at a time, but how do I connect 6 or 8 drum mics, a bass di, 2 gtr mics, keys di and vocals to the RME unit??? Do I have to get an external mixer to connect to the RME unit to utilize all of the channels??? I am a little confused.

the fireface uc has 8 analog inputs.  for all of the inputs you're describing you'll need more than 8, so you'd need a minimum of 2 of these units connected together via ADAT lightpipe OR you'll have to mix the drums down to 2 inputs and use the other 6 for everything else.

OR go with a cheaper unit like the MOTU 828mk3, get 2 of those for the same budget you've laid out (about $750 each) and use ADAT between the 2 units for 16 channels of analog input.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Suggest a new Audio interface upgrade from my Delta66 to get more channels.... 2010/08/20 12:56:17 (permalink)
    As to how to hook up the FF 400 - it looks like it only has a couple of preamps, so the extra mics would need preamps.  The FF800 has 4.  Same deal.

If you need a single unit w/ preamps look at PreSonus or the Focusrite units - 8 mic and converters at a time.  Echo has a 12 input unit, but it too misses preamps (I think).  You can add preamps w/ anything from Behringer to ART to PreSonus to Focusrite on up - which should work.  Some have ADAT converters built-in so they would work w/ your interface.

It really depends upon the amount of money you have to spend - all the above are on the affordable level.  You'll need at least 8 mic inputs - 3-7 on drums, guitar, bass and a scratch vocal track. 

I use a TC Electronic Konnekt 48.  12 inputs, 4 preamps, really nice DSP effects and a small remote controller for less than $1000.  Sounds as good as the RME and better than most other affordable gear.  Very nice preamps, too.  Not low latency, and you would need extra preamps.  ARt has some ok ones @ $30 a pop, behringer has 8 w/ ADAT converters for less than $200.

I got my TCK 48 cheap - they had them for $800 and I got a returned one.  They seem to have crept back up to $1000, tho.  For less you could get the Yama/Stienberg 8 channel unit.  Suppose to sound as good as the above, 8 good preamps and ADAT so you can expand and cheap.  Prices have bounced around, but $700 I think for the one w/o extra effects.  Great sound and you can wait to expand w/ ADAT when you need.  You'll still have all the preamps you need to do drums at once recording - Overheads, Kick, Snare and a room, too.

That is as low as I would go and not feel like I need to upgrade ASAP.  The other prosumer stuff is good and will get the job done, but if you can swing it one of the better units would be the way to go.  Then you can load up later w/ better preamps and outboard, which will have a obvious effect on the sound.

@

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1