Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow:

Author
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
2018/10/17 17:06:43 (permalink)

Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow:

Hello my friends:
I am working on an EDM/Progressing Dance/House music. Similar to Fedde Le Grand and DJ Falcoon, or Cassius style.
So far the process has been painful, like getting a Root canal. 

Part of the issue is I am not sure how you do some of these passages in Sonar.

Just to be clear, I am finishing the record but it's just a more tedious process and I am hoping someone can tell me what the recommended work flow is regarding this Genre. I also know this is not one of the strongest area for Sonar as apposed to Ableton Live.

Thank you!

AI

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.

8 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/17 19:10:08 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if you're referring to creating individual tracks or creating a DJ-type set out of them, but I'll assume the latter. Here's what I did.

I just finished putting the finishing touches on my 2018 project, "Joie de Vivre" (which will hit YouTube on November 11). It's a cross-pollination of rock and EDM, and the most interesting element was putting individual tracks into a continuous, seamless, beat-matched set like a DJ would do. IIRC the first song is 118 BPM and the last one ends at 133 BPM.

The workflow I used was to create the individual tracks in CbB. Next up was deciding the order they would go in, which wasn't difficult because of a self-imposed constraint that the tempo had to increase throughout the set. 

I then opened up the original tracks and did whatever was necessary to create a transition to the next song. This involved picking pieces from the existing tracks and giving them a "remix" type of treatment, and making adjustments to the tempo map so that the added material ended at the right tempo. In some cases, it was easier to create the transition by opening up the project of the target song, and creating the transition at the beginning.

The final step was opening up a new CbB project and fitting the puzzle pieces together. But here's the unexpected part. Now that all the songs were in a project, I added additional FX, cymbals, etc. to flesh out the transitions and make them even smoother.

As to individual tracks, because I have so many acidized loops, both ones that I've created and 3rd party ones, tempo changes/warping aren't a problem.

Hope this helps...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Audioicon
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/17 20:31:30 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I'm not sure if you're referring to creating individual tracks or creating a DJ-type set out of them, but I'll assume the latter. Here's what I did.

I just finished putting the finishing touches on my 2018 project, "Joie de Vivre" (which will hit YouTube on November 11). It's a cross-pollination of rock and EDM, and the most interesting element was putting individual tracks into a continuous, seamless, beat-matched set like a DJ would do. IIRC the first song is 118 BPM and the last one ends at 133 BPM.

The workflow I used was to create the individual tracks in CbB. Next up was deciding the order they would go in, which wasn't difficult because of a self-imposed constraint that the tempo had to increase throughout the set. 

I then opened up the original tracks and did whatever was necessary to create a transition to the next song. This involved picking pieces from the existing tracks and giving them a "remix" type of treatment, and making adjustments to the tempo map so that the added material ended at the right tempo. In some cases, it was easier to create the transition by opening up the project of the target song, and creating the transition at the beginning.

The final step was opening up a new CbB project and fitting the puzzle pieces together. But here's the unexpected part. Now that all the songs were in a project, I added additional FX, cymbals, etc. to flesh out the transitions and make them even smoother.

As to individual tracks, because I have so many acidized loops, both ones that I've created and 3rd party ones, tempo changes/warping aren't a problem.

Hope this helps...

Thank you! This is what I am referring to. Your response is an eloquent reminder that even though software can make a process easy, creativity is where the expertise lies, and EDM, is one my my weakest link.

So here is the approach I am taking, the song is one tempo but with lots of different parts in extremely short increments. Given that I cannot loop individual parts, I build each section to mimic something a DJ would do, then arrange the song by stitching these parts together.

For example: Lets say a section of the song repeats 10 times at rapid succession, (typical EDM style), given I am unable to loop a section individually, I need to record all parts of that section, and paste it 10 times or turn it into a grove clip and copy and paste it where applicable.

I am assuming this is not possible to loop just an individual session?

Anderton

Same experience, the difference is I am not changing the tempo but rather recording sometimes really small parts to emulate a DJ style spin. But I will look into the tempo thing, this could have some really cool result.

Finally, given we are on this topic, do other artists finish a song then give to DJ to manipulate in a studio and record for release? I have seen some amazing stuff done to finish records by DJ playing live and this is why it is challenging for me because I am attempting to do something I hear on a finish record.

Your response was very helpful and thank you.

Please let us know when the record is ready!

JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/17 23:54:16 (permalink)
    Audioicon

I am assuming this is not possible to loop just an individual session

Actually, you can. You can arrange the individual sections in the Matrix View, much like you would in Ableton Live's Session view, play them from there and record the output to the Track View.
    Audioicon
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/18 01:49:05 (permalink)
    JoseC.
    Audioicon

Actually, you can. You can arrange the individual sections in the Matrix View, much like you would in Ableton Live's Session view, play them from there and record the output to the Track View.

I should have mentioned I am using only Hardware synth. Wi this scenario work?
    Thanks for the input.

JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/18 11:48:00 (permalink)
    Audioicon
    JoseC.
    Audioicon

Thanks for the input.

I think, yes. You would arrange all midi clips in the Matrix, launch them from there and record the output, either as midi, or directly as audio. You can adress external midi tracks from the Matrix, no problem there.
    Audioicon
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/18 18:11:22 (permalink)
    JoseC.
    Audioicon
    JoseC.
    Audioicon

Thanks for the input.

I think, yes. You would arrange all midi clips in the Matrix, launch them from there and record the output, either as midi, or directly as audio. You can adress external midi tracks from the Matrix, no problem there.

Very interesting! Thanks my friend.

davehorch
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/18 21:49:16 (permalink)
    My head hurts

Win-7 Professionalx64.  CWBL, SONAR X3e, & most other previous versions.  TASCAM US-1800 audio interface.  A bunch of outboard stuff that never gets used anymore (ADAT boat anchors, smoooth LA4 comps (miss them!), etc.)  Way too many instruments.
    Audioicon
    Re: Suggestion and recommendation for Progressive House /EDM Workflow: 2018/10/18 21:51:15 (permalink)
    davehorch
    My head hurts

Snap out of it! Now!! :)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1