Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in?

Author
legatoman1@yahoo.com
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
2008/10/21 04:01:06 (permalink)

Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in?

Im geting ready to buy Sonar Home Studio 7 but ive heard the vocal reverb isnt the best, so i was just wondering if any of you more seasoned home recorders had any suggestions you wanted to shoot me? Ive already checked out Voxengo, so i was mainly just wondering if there were any other free reverbs plug-ins that were maybe an underground standard of sorts... Id love to find something in the likeness of the reverb on John lennon's vocals on "A Day In The Life" or "Across the universe".... I love the types of reverbs he used to use. Almost haunting.... Thanks guys!!

15 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 06:55:47 (permalink)
    SIR 1 is a great free convolution reverb - see www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html you need to add impulses for it to work, and http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/ has links to some, as well as the freeverb download and info on other reverbs out there...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    wiserel
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 07:23:10 (permalink)
    Hi,
    There is your welcome to this forum so just visit here and found something
    relevant to this topics such like CD,DVD,soft ware and whole that's relevant to entertainment so just visit this website and find every kind of information
    if i am disable to fulfill your information so please excuse me

http://orbisdigital.co.uk/
    Thanks for join me...........
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 14:41:00 (permalink)
    I'll second Mark's suggestion. Before I had Perfect Space, SIR was my go-to reverb when I wanted something lush and long. It's a convolution reverb, meaning it interprets impulse-response (IR) files, of which there are a great many available on the net for free. Get the right IR file, and SIR can sound like just about any reverb you want it to sound like.

Like all convolution reverbs, though, SIR is a fairly heavy load on the CPU, so you probably won't want more than one - maybe two - instances per project.

Of course, if you spring for Producer Edition instead of Home, you'll get both the Sonitus reverb and Perfect Space, both for "free" (as in bundled). Between those two you'd definitely be set for reverb.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    legatoman1@yahoo.com
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 14:55:51 (permalink)
    GREAT!!! Thanks a ton guys!!!
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 15:11:07 (permalink)
    I like Ambience from Magnus. While it's technically not free (Shareware), you can use it forever in Demo mode.

Another interesting plugin of this sort, not fully reverb, but a mixture of verb, phaser, and delay is Wollo Spacer. You'll get close to your John Lennon effects with this one.

Finally, the Lexicon Pantheon that ships with Sonar Producer is a very good convolution verb.

If you want to pay for a verb, take a look at the More Feedback Machine from uHe (the guy that does Zebra). For any effects that uses delay and/or verb, this is the one, and then some. Pricing is not prohibitive.

Other good commercial verbs that I like, though most require dongles -- IK Classic Studio Reverb, WizooVerb, Oxford Sonnox Verb (bundled with compressors & EQ), Waves RVerb (Renaissance), TrueVerb (basic Waves sets).

There are sources around to discover what reverbs John was using on those albums. Also, you might check out the abbey road effects and see what's up there, though these are quite expensive!

--kwgm
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 16:27:13 (permalink)
    Of course, if you spring for Producer Edition instead of Home, you'll get both the Sonitus reverb and Perfect Space, both for "free" (as in bundled). Between those two you'd definitely be set for reverb.

+1 to that.

The Lexicon Pantheon as well which I'm actually starting to like more and more having got past some of the strange sounding pre-sets.

It is worth checking out the price difference between HS and PE against what you think you'll need because there are some excellent plugs in the box that will cost a bunch more AFTER you've shelled out for Sonar.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/10/21 16:34:39

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/21 17:36:11 (permalink)
    +1 for Ambience, very flexible reverb with a lot of good presets.

At the moment, you can download the Rev-1 Pro reverb for free. Check it out at kvraudio.com.

PSP Audioware makes a free Springverb spring reverb plugin, not the world's most flexible reverb but useful.

A lot of what you hear on John Lennon's voice on some of his best known pieces is actually slapback delay, not reverb. So if you don't have a decent delay plugin, you might want to think about that. Sound on Sound had a very good article a couple of months ago on using reverbs and delays, take a look for it.

Regards, lightninrick

raweber
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/23 21:59:41 (permalink)
    I detailed a few free reverbs on my blog earlier this year:

http://robntweber.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/free-reverb-roundup/

My favorite freebees are SIR for convolution and Kjaerhus Audio's Classic Reverb for algorithmic.

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Music Prodution Blog: Notes from the Shore
    Free Praise Music: All Things New Ministries
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/23 22:24:55 (permalink)
    I must not get out much... I think the indigenous cake plugs are pretty decent.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/24 16:23:55 (permalink)
    Well, they are. But there are lots of reverb flavors out there...

Regards, lightninrick
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/24 20:04:28 (permalink)
    SIR is good.

Glaceverb is good, it has a unique sound that is not readily do-able with other reverb plugins.

Haven't tried ambience.

The Poodle Chews It.

raweber
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/24 20:13:16 (permalink)
    I turn to the Sonitus effects first for dynamics and EQ, but if you don't have Sonar PE, there aren't any options for a convolution reverb...

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    legatoman1@yahoo.com
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/25 17:50:48 (permalink)
    Ya i found the Glaceverb the other day. Looks pretty cool. I also downloaded SIR, beings that is the reverb ive heard the most people suggest. I downloaded a few others also that seem interesting. All in all, thanks for all the advice guys! Oh and its not that i was saying that Sonar's reverbs suck or anything. As a matter a fact, it seems everyone on here with PE seems to hold the Reverbs it comes with in high regards. Its just that I havent actually bought Sonar yet, so i was just going off what i had heard from a friend. I plan to buy Sonar sometime within my next few checks. I seriously think it is hands down the most awsome PC DAW available. Im just currently deciding between the new Studio 8 or the new Home Studio 7.
    raweber
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/25 19:26:22 (permalink)
    Just remember that if you go with Home Studio, it doesn't come with Perfect Space, the Sonitus Reverb, or the Lexicon Pantheon Reverb, just what they are calling the "Studio Reverb."

Rob Weber
    Poser Composer
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Suggestions on best free reverb plug-in? 2008/10/29 15:29:33 (permalink)
    Jeroen Breebart (the man behind tape sim Ferox) has a really good free reverb called omnizone http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst.htm

Bootsy is about to release a new reverb soon but you can check out sound exsamples while you wait http://rekkerd.org/bootsy-announces-epicverb/

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1