Summer Days

Author
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2017/12/08 21:05:36 (permalink)

Summer Days

This is a song I wrote several years ago and finally got around to recording it a few months ago this year. 

I'm no singer, but I give it my best try at the time. 

It's not perfect, but I thought someone might enjoy hearing it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-88101205/summer-days

Happy Holidays everyone!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.

19 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/08 21:19:32 (permalink)
    You have a knack for catchy pop/rock tunes Bobby, this is good. Cool guitar work and riffs. Ok, the vocals aren't great, but you're getting the song across, so job done.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 00:10:02 (permalink)
    You got me in that having fun in the sun mode after hearing this. Nicely done and great guitar playing. I thought the vocals got a little buried though. Had trouble making out the lyrics.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 02:58:54 (permalink)
    Lot of energy and rock melody on this, Bobby -- you have good phrasing in your vocals that really put across the spirit of the song.  All you need is some harmonies on those choruses and you're set.  Good guitar stuff, too!  Enjoyed this :) -- Allan

biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 07:49:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, cool guitar work on this one. I'm with Bjorn on this in that the vocals tend to get buried in places but you have a winner here, nice job.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 21:25:52 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    You have a knack for catchy pop/rock tunes Bobby, this is good. Cool guitar work and riffs. Ok, the vocals aren't great, but you're getting the song across, so job done.

Thank you James, that means a lot to hear someone get's what I was trying to do with the song. I'm not a singer, I just add my vocals to try and give a singer the idea as to how I hear my songs, but the only problem is I don't have a singer right now or on call. LOL, I could roll off 10 songs a day or night if I did easily, but I don't.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and reply.

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 21:33:42 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    You got me in that having fun in the sun mode after hearing this. Nicely done and great guitar playing. I thought the vocals got a little buried though. Had trouble making out the lyrics.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply bjornpdx.  I know what you mean about the SUNSHINE talk. Yesterday we had like 1 inch of snow here, it's all gone today luckily. Don't get me wrong, I like the Snowy weather, but when they don't have it in the forecast it's a bit of a problem where I am at. 

Thanks for the kind compliments on my guitar playing. Most of the time I try not to think about things and just play. 

It always amazes me at how great the ears are of everyone on these forums. I really need to get some good monitor speakers, what I have right now sounds good "For listening to PREMIXED songs" but it's not made for mixing, I wouldn't call them Monitor speakers at all, they are the Logitech Office Depot Speakers. But I am looking to upgrade soon, if I can. 

You mentioned the buried vocals, I recorded this one a couple months ago and you are right on about what you are saying. I haven't done that much mixing on the vocals, a while back someone had mentioned to me "I find that most heavy rock songs have the vocals buried in the mix".  That's one reason I didn't make it stand out. 

Mainly I was just trying to keep things even. I'm not a mix expert by no means. 

I may revisit this tune in the near future and change a lot of things. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and tell me what you think, that really means a lot. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 21:38:12 (permalink)
    ABull
    Lot of energy and rock melody on this, Bobby -- you have good phrasing in your vocals that really put across the spirit of the song.  All you need is some harmonies on those choruses and you're set.  Good guitar stuff, too!  Enjoyed this :) -- Allan

Thank you Allan for taking the time to listen and reply here. I'm glad you liked it. You mentioned harmonies, I'm trying to learn how to do that even though I am not a singer. I know since I am using Sonar Platinum and have Melodyne essentials I can CLONE a track and use Melodyne Essentials to move the clone track down or up a 3rd or such. I've tried a couple times, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do that right, what I have done trying to do that for now just doesn't sound real. There's no way I could sing the harmonies. Maybe I can find someone who can do that for me in the future. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/09 21:42:01 (permalink)
    biodiode
    Yeah, cool guitar work on this one. I'm with Bjorn on this in that the vocals tend to get buried in places but you have a winner here, nice job.

Thank you biodiode for taking the time to listen and reply. I haven't mixed that many songs, or songs with vocals at all, so I'm still learning a lot of things. I kind of buried the vocals intentionally, but I did it because a song I posted here a long while back someone said to me something like "Most hard rock songs have the vocals buried in the mix". Maybe I shouldn't have followed that advice? To be fair though, that was a different type of song, a bit more heavy. 

I'm glad you liked hearing this, that means everything to me! 

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/19 12:53:26 (permalink)
    you know I like this one Bobby - thought I'd give it a bump....
    Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/21 01:50:59 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    you know I like this one Bobby - thought I'd give it a bump....

Thanks Daryl, honestly, I think you could sing it much better than me, no doubt about that. 

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays!  And "MERRY CHRISTMAS!". 

Bobby

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/21 03:33:36 (permalink)
    I have got to agree with James1213 --- you have a great talent for creating "catchy pop/rock tunes."  I think that this one has a real commercial potential.  Your guitar work sounded really good.  I share the same concern about vocals a you do.  I thought that you did a respectable job concerning how complex the melody that you sang was.  There were a lot of note changes that you had to cover.

Nice work Bobby.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/21 17:57:37 (permalink)
    Nice one Bobby, it does what it says on the tin what more could you want, nicely played and produced.  (At least your singing does not kill like Wookiee singing does )

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/22 00:01:32 (permalink)
    Freddy J
    I have got to agree with James1213 --- you have a great talent for creating "catchy pop/rock tunes."  I think that this one has a real commercial potential.  Your guitar work sounded really good.  I share the same concern about vocals a you do.  I thought that you did a respectable job concerning how complex the melody that you sang was.  There were a lot of note changes that you had to cover.

Nice work Bobby.

Thank you Freedy J, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply. That means a lot to me. 

Happy Holidays! 

Bobby

Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/22 00:07:50 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Nice one Bobby, it does what it says on the tin what more could you want, nicely played and produced.  (At least your singing does not kill like Wookiee singing does )

Thank you Wookiee for listening and taking the time to reply. I'm going to work on it some more. 

I couldn't help but have a laugh with your comment "At least your singing does not kill like Wookiee singing does ". 
    You never know what your talent is until you try. You should always keep trying, and the reason I laughed was because you sounded a lot like me. 

By that I mean : I am the AL BUNDY of Vocal Singers.  LOL : Dang Woman not only took my voice, but she made the strings on my guitar not play right either! Kidding of course. 

Happy Holidays to you and yours and everyone here! 

Bobby

mikelgom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/22 08:29:16 (permalink)
    Nice song. I love the rock melody!
    Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/22 21:25:12 (permalink)
    mikelgom
    Nice song. I love the rock melody!

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply. I'm hoping to remix and re-do a few things on it in the future.  Funny thing is, this songs was never intended to be like it is now, I originally made it up more easy going with clean guitars throughout, but I wasn't happy with my sound and thought I would just turn on some distortion and change the chordings and this is the result. It was fun to do and I guess in the end that's the most import thing of all. 

Thanks again!  Happy Holidays!

Bobby

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/24 04:14:11 (permalink)
    this really works well...vox sounds fine and shes a rocker...what's not to like? Very cool tune. like the duel leads...nice

Not a big fan of the panning on fade away...(takes more away then bring to the table)

good work!

Serious_Noize!
    Re: Summer Days 2017/12/25 00:56:52 (permalink)
    thepogue
    this really works well...vox sounds fine and shes a rocker...what's not to like? Very cool tune. like the duel leads...nice

Not a big fan of the panning on fade away...(takes more away then bring to the table)

good work!

Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to listen and reply. That means a lot. 

I am replying on Christmas eve so I must say : "Merry Christmas!!!! Happy holidays and Seasons Greetings to all!!!! 

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and reply, I may remix this one in the future taking everyone's advice to heart here. 

Bobby

post edited by Serious_Noize! - 2017/12/25 14:40:34

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Summer Days 2018/01/05 22:03:52 (permalink)
    The harmonized solo rocks!  

Maybe vocals aren't your strong suit but as others said, they get the point across.    And fortunately you have the musicianship to back them up.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1