Superior Drummer 2

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
liv4ree
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 700
2010/03/22 22:23:36 (permalink)

Superior Drummer 2

Hi guys. I recently upgraded from EZ to superior drummer. I'm trying to set up my V drums TD3 to superior, but am experiencing a couple of problems.
My biggest problem is when I try to usesuperiors learn function. When I set the learn function to snare center, tick the learn button, and hit my snare center, all seems good. Except my rim shot sounds like the snare center. Now if I change to snare and rim shot, tick the learn button, and hit my rim, it changes to a rim sample. Problem is that now my snare center sounds like the rim also.
I also am unable to get the cymbals to mute. Is there a template tat I could load so that I can get more articulate control ove the hihat and so on?
I did a search but didn't have much luck. Thanks in advance. 

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
Quad Core Intel QX 6600 2.4 Ghz 
4 Gigs Patriot Ram
Gigabyte P35
Motu 896HD
Sonar 8.5 PE
Mackie Control Pro

33 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/22 22:28:27 (permalink)
    Is your rim trigger sending out the same midi note value as the center of the pad?

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/22 22:46:10 (permalink)
    Have you downloaded the Superior Drummer Sonar Drum Map yet and tried it.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/22 22:57:27 (permalink)
    Hi Dave. Yes I believe it was. I actually just watched a tutorial, and realized that rather than highlighting the drum by clicking on it, I was actually just selecting it from the dropdown menu. This may be my problem. I should probably also do a factory reset of my td3. My other question concerns the different articulations.   Specifically hihat articulations.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/22 22:59:18 (permalink)
    I just logged into toontrack and downloaded the drum map jb

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 07:52:56 (permalink)
    liv4ree

Hi Dave. Yes I believe it was. I actually just watched a tutorial, and realized that rather than highlighting the drum by clicking on it, I was actually just selecting it from the dropdown menu. This may be my problem. I should probably also do a factory reset of my td3. My other question concerns the different articulations.   Specifically hihat articulations.

Go to my forum for a down to earth, regular guy kind of explanation of HiHat articulations.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 07:54:16 (permalink)
    liv4ree

The SONAR drum map will not likely make much difference for you other than label the midi notes for you in the Piano Roll View.  There is no special mapping changes made in that map.

My music.
    alkie
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 08:24:04 (permalink)
    Mod Bod

liv4ree

Go to my forum for a down to earth, regular guy kind of explanation of HiHat articulations.

Are there no regular guy`s  here? Is there only regular guy`s and good info on your forum?

it`s number is.....

alkie
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 08:27:10 (permalink)
    liv4ree

Let me know if it works...what Mod Bod is missing is that the map is not factory it was made by a guy who has a Roland kit.

it`s number is.....

Crofty
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 09:16:23 (permalink)
    Might be due to the basic nature of the TD3 - it is Rolands basic (although good) model and so it might not have all the triggering options you're expecting...

Regards,

Alan
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 10:35:02 (permalink)
    alkie

liv4ree

Let me know if it works...what Mod Bod is missing is that the map is not factory it was made by a guy who has a Roland kit.

Yes, I was unaware that a Roland map was available now. 

My music.
    GotMetalBoy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/23 13:05:32 (permalink)
    liv4ree,

Make sure you have the newest SD2 update.  I use the Roland TD-20 but I think Roland follows the same config for most of their drum brains.  I'm pretty busy the next few days and won't be near my DAW but if you don't figure this out by the weekend, send me a PM and I'll upload my Sonar drum maps and SD2 presets to my website, so you can try them.  I think w/ the newest SD2 update, I can save just my MIDI config as a preset.

The biggest problem I had w/ setting up my TD-20 and SD2 was the difference in dynamics.  When I hit a drum from soft to hard, the roland brain sounds like it just changes the volume of the drum sample but SD2 changes the samples from a real soft snare hit sample to a real hard hit sample, so SD2 sounds like a real recorded acoustic drum.

With the Roland HH you have 2 choices for controlling how SD2 can respond.  You can set the Roland brain to send HH Open, Closed and Pedal MIDI notes by adjusting what pedal position sends a HHO or HHC or you can have SD2 read the Roland HH Controller position data.

I can't remember how I got SD2 to respond to Roland Cymbal mutes but I think it was by assigning the controller number that mutes the cymbals.

I wasn't sure what data my TD-20 sent out so I recorded the MIDI into Sonar and hit every drum, HH position, Drum position, cymbal mutes and then looked in Sonar's event viewer.

Where did you watch the tutorial video?

Thanks,
    Lou
    Sonar Platinum 12/01/2015; Line 6 UX2; Focusrite 6i6; MOTU USB MIDI Express XT; Roland TD-20 V-Drums; XLN Addictive Drums 2; Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II; FAMC LF+ Pro+; Mesa Boogie TriAxis, Stereo Simul-Class 2:90; Marshall 1960AV; Yamaha DXR12
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 08:57:54 (permalink)
    Lou, thanks for the info. I still haven't had any luck. I'm going to run the updates today so will mess around some more then. The tutorial that I watched was from youtube. I just did a search on youtube and watched a few random tutorials.
    I'll PM you if I can't get it working. Thanks again. 

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    dmmi
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 09:31:03 (permalink)
    I had problems doing this with my TD3....the clincher is to delete all the mapping first within superior drummer, then re-map with the learn function.  It only takes minutes, but it's worth it.  The other thing is chokes are sent by polyphonic aftertouch....there is a tutorial on how to set that up on the v-drums forums.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/

Cheers!
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 11:54:32 (permalink)
    Thanks dmmi. How do I delete all of the Superior drummer mapping?
     I will see if I can fnd the tutorial at the vdrum forum.
    Anoter issue that I'm having, when playing the hi hat, I can't hear all of my hihat hits.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    dmmi
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 12:06:55 (permalink)

For the HH...there is a setting for HH opening>more closed, or more open I think.  And make sure your TD3 HH pedal is calibrated.  And then you need to set up Trigger cancel (I can't remember what its called) in the TD3 brain....Did you reset your Brain first....you should even if new.  Then near the end of the manual there are all the midi and trigger settings....flip through that to adjust the setting that makes the most sense. 

In the midi mapping section on the lower right hand of the GUI there is a dopdown for all the different hit for the particular drum you've selected (via right click).

So for example if you pick the snare it will show you midi note assigned for the type of hit in the dropdown.  If you change the selection in the dropdown to rim...it will show the note assigned to rim.

Go through this process for all the drums, and all dropdowns deleted every note assigned(can't remember of right click>delete, or if there is a "remove mapping selection).

Then go back to the first drum you want to set up Eg: snare, select the hit you want to map....you can also audition the with the large audition button before mapping......select learn and hit your TD3 snare.....pick next dropdown...lets say rim, then select learn and do a rimshot (as in the manual of the TD3).

Use this process to complete your mapping....then save your midi configuration...(i can't remember how to do that either....you'll figure it out)

Also, de-select samples for the drums you are not using to limit sample size loaded into RAM....your good to go.

You can now pick any kit, and load up your midi setting (I told you to save) and you can use any kit with your TD3

HTH

Cheers!
    post edited by dmmi - 2010/03/24 12:10:30
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 12:10:25 (permalink)
    Thanks dmmi. I'll give this a shot.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    dmmi
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 12:11:24 (permalink)
    liv4free....I was editing my post while your were writing your thanks.....please read what I added for the HH
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 14:23:16 (permalink)
    Man o' man what a pain in my a**. I can't get a rim shot to work. I chose snare, removed all existing notes on all articulations,  I chose center, clicked learn, hit the snare center no problem. Then I select rim shot, click learn, hit the rim, now both the rim and the snare sound like rim. Same happens if I choose sidestick. 

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 14:24:34 (permalink)
    Yes I did a factory  reset on my td3. I'm going to dig around for my td3 manual.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/24 23:44:33 (permalink)
    I turned local control off on my td3. Still having no luck with cymbal choke. Still can't get the rimshot on the snare to work.
    If I select snare then center, click learn, I hit the center of the snare and I get note D1 then I select snare/rimshot and hit the rim, that note is also D1.
    Does anyone actually have the choke, and snare articulations working with their td3 and superior drummer?

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/25 21:16:24 (permalink)
    Still no luck with cymbal choke nor the rim shot. Also getting a strange intermitent loss of hits with my hihat.
    Does anyone use a td3 that might have a template I could try?
    CJ if your reading, I think I remember that you use superior drummer 2 and a td3. What's your secret?
    I'm getting nervous as I have a band coming in next weekend, and the drummer is going to be using the td3/vdrums.
     Thanks for any help..

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    GotMetalBoy
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/26 11:37:11 (permalink)
    Liv4ree,

Have you tried recording the MIDI out from your TD-3 into Sonar and then play back the recorded MIDI into your TD-3?  If yes, is everything playing back perfectly on your TD-3?  This is what I did back when I couldn't get EZDrummer to work and realized I didn't have everything selected to record in Sonar's MIDI options.  Sonar was only recording MIDI notes and Controller data but not after touch which was needed for the Cymbal chokes.

I have to work on some recording tonight, so if you can send me a bundle file w/ your midi track w/ you hitting every drum, choking cymbals and HH positions and record the TD-3 audio out, so I can hear what your TD-3 is doing compared to the MIDI that is recoreded, I'll create you a SD2 preset that should hopefully work for you.

Send me a PM if your interested and we can figure out how to exchange files.

Thanks,
    Lou
    Sonar Platinum 12/01/2015; Line 6 UX2; Focusrite 6i6; MOTU USB MIDI Express XT; Roland TD-20 V-Drums; XLN Addictive Drums 2; Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II; FAMC LF+ Pro+; Mesa Boogie TriAxis, Stereo Simul-Class 2:90; Marshall 1960AV; Yamaha DXR12
    GotMetalBoy
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/26 13:58:14 (permalink)
    Liv4ree,

I just downloaded the TD-3 manual and you need to read pages: 61 and 63 and manually create a map in SD2.  You have 3 different snare hits, Head, Rim and Cross Stick but I don't think I was ever able to get SD2 to responde to all 3, only the Head and Rim which are MIDI note #s 38 and 40.  I usually only have the snare head hit enabled on my TD-20 b/c drummers always hit the rim and get annoyed by it and only want to hear the snare head hit.  If they want a rim shot or cross stick, I just have them record on a separate track playing the snare head and then change the note number so it plays what ever they want it to be.

Also, if all your HH hits aren't working it may be b/c there are 5 different hits and MIDI note Numbers: HHO #46, HHO Edge #26, HHC #42, HHC Edge #22 and HHP #44.  I was never able to figure out how to get SD2 to do a HH splash or make the HH pitch go up if I press on the HH pedal harder.  I have the Roland VH-12 HH.

Thanks,
    Lou
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/26 14:26:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Lou. I really appreciate your help. I will try to get this working tonight, and report back. Thanks again

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    GotMetalBoy
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/29 13:26:13 (permalink)
    Liv4ree,

Did you ever get SD2 working?  Well I have some good news and some bad news. 

The bad news is that I never transfered my presets from my old desktop to my laptop and when I tried to boot my desktop it couldn't find the CPU and after a little bit of trouble shooting, I realized the motherboard has died.  It's my only desktop, so I can't get any data off the SATA drives and will need to get an external SATA drive case.

The good news is that I started to re-create my maps for my Roland TD-20 and SD2 v2.2.1 and the new SD2 updates make it so much easier than when I created them in SD2 v2.0.  If you go to the Mapping screen you can select presets for edrums and rim/stick configurations.  I read most of the SD2 v2.2.1 manual this weekend, so I should have my new map done by the end of the week.

Thanks,
    Lou
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/29 20:15:50 (permalink)
    Hi Lou. Man your relentless I really appreciate your help. I didn't really get to spend any quality time in the studio this weekend. I had to run sound for a talent show. I went out to the studio saturday afternoon with the manual in hand, and was about to start checking/changing the midi notes in superior, but got called out of the studio. Let me elaborate. Say my snare is #36 on my td3, I was going to change it to 36 within superior drummer. My intention was to go thru each drum/pad, and make the change in superior.  I'm missing something somewhere, and it's driving me crazy. 
        Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/31 11:58:38 (permalink)
    UPDATE:
    I tried the edrum preset, and it helped. I am down to just 2 issues that I need help with.

1. I have narrowed the hihat periodic no hit playing down to it only occurring when I hit my kick and hihat at the same time. If I hit my kick and hihat at the same time, only the kick will sound. However if I hit my kick and any other drum, both will sound. Also if I hit my hihat ad any other drum, both will sound. This issue is only related to a simutaneous hit of the kick and hihat.
    I confirmed the same issue with EZ drummer.

2. I cannot get my cymbal choke to work. The td3 manual states that the cymbal must be plugged int an input that allows rimshots. I plugged my cymbal into the snare input wit no luck.

Would really appreciate some help. Thanks guys..

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    GotMetalBoy
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/03/31 15:30:54 (permalink)
    Liv4ree,

Have you done what I suggested in post #23? 
    "Have you tried recording the MIDI out from your TD-3 into Sonar and then play back the recorded MIDI into your TD-3?  If yes, is everything playing back perfectly on your TD-3?"

Have you tried drawing in the MIDI notes for a kick and HH at the same time on the piano roll?  Does it cause SD2 and EZD to mute the HH?

If you send me your MIDI file and SD2 project file, I'm sure I could figure out what's wrong.

Thanks,
    Lou
    liv4ree
    Re:Superior Drummer 2 2010/04/03 10:55:04 (permalink)
    Problem Solved:
    Just thought I'd post back with the resolution just in case anyone else has this problem.
    Roland CY-8 cymbal with TD3 module & Superior Drummer choke.

You have to go into Sonar  Options > Global > Midi > check/enable Aftertouch
    NOw go into Superior Drummer 2 select construct view, right click the cymbal that you want the choke function to work on. To the right where the box says Envelope, tick the aftertouch switch, then in the upper right corner of the envelope box click tiny square to highlight.
    Now set the envelope release to 0.1. To do this, grab the box in te envelope panel that is located to the right, slide the box all the way to the left. You envelope gui should now look like a square. 
    Done deal..
    Hope this someday helps someone else out
    Thanks all..  

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2