Surround Joystick - what am I missing?

Author
rbailey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2009/08/23 11:46:03 (permalink)

Surround Joystick - what am I missing?

I must be missing something as I can't get the surround joystick on the VS700 to adjust a track's surround settings.

I can press the "view" button and adjust the tracks surround settings via the mouse (so I have a working surround bus) and if I hold down the "command" button, I can use the joystick to reposition windows (so the joystick works). However I cannot get the LFE send or joystick button on the VS700 console to do anything with surround. Any ideas?

9 Replies Related Threads

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/25 21:02:00 (permalink)
    Hi rbailey,

To control a track's surround panner with the VS-700's joystick you must select the track with the control surface. To do this press the appropriate SEL button on the surface.
    rbailey
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/26 17:48:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, but that isn't the issue. I select the track by pressing the SEL button on the console, the button lights up with an amber color. If I press the "view" button in the surround section of the console, I see the "surround" mixer on the computer screen, but the joystick and LFE Send knob do not affect the "surround" mixer in any way. Dragging the mouse around in the "surroung" mixer works, but that defeats the purpose of the joystick on the console. FYI - if hold down the "command" button on the console, the joystick does allow me to reposition the "surround" mixer on the screen.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/26 22:48:07 (permalink)
    I have just done a check for you. I created a surround type of project first by selecting Surround 5.1 in the templates when setting up for the first time. All your tracks will have surround panners and the main buss surround output will be sent to your interfaces multiple outs.

In my case as soon as you select the channel the surround joystick on the console is immediately active. The view button brings up a larger version of the channel surround panner. The T Bar also controls front/rear balance and you will see that being displayed in all the output level values. T Bar FR Bal button needs to lit

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/27 01:13:06 (permalink)
    Is the T-Bar in Video or V-Link mode? If so try putting it in F/R Balance mode.
    rbailey
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/27 15:31:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff,

Using the Surround 5.1 Template has the console working perfectly. There must be a setting in this template I am missing if I simplt add a surround bus to the default project. Now, if I can only figure out what that is, I'll be in good shape.

Thanks again,
    Roy
    rbailey
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/27 15:41:58 (permalink)
    Now I see the error of my ways.... using the default template, I was sending the track to a surround bus, but the primary output was set to the stereo mains. If I switch it to the surround main, the joystick works.

Thanks for the nudge,
    Roy
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2009/08/27 17:41:46 (permalink)
    Thought it might be something like that. That is why it is a good idea to really think about what it is you are trying to do then create the right type of session to do it. Switching things after the event can sometimes cause some problems. I am glad you have got it going and I dont do any surround mixing (I dont have enough speakers) but your post got me checking and testing all that so I know how to set it up and use it now as well. The joystick works well. It may be light to move around but when you positon your hand the right way it works very well. T Bar is also handy for F/R balance but also controlling ACT parameters etc.

Pressing Command and moving the joystick always moves open windows and that can be helpful too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bbox
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2014/04/10 12:13:35 (permalink)
    Hello, greetings from Germany. I am new in this forum but I start here because of the same problems described above. I use Sonar X3e with a V-studio 700. I start to enter the surround recording world and I was also not able to set the focus on the large surround window of a new created track (audio or virtual synth). Pushing the Select button on the console helps but it doesn't work if activate the send button to route a signal on another surround bus (with reverb for example). A surround "send" will be created but I am only able to move the focus of this special window with my mouse. 
    Also pressing Command and moving this windows does not help. Maybe it is not the right way to create and work with a surround send? Thank you for your help. Bernd
    post edited by bbox - 2014/04/10 12:55:34
    bbox
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Surround Joystick - what am I missing? 2014/05/15 10:22:42 (permalink)
    Hello, unfortunately I got no answer for my problem. Nevertheless it still excists.
    Adding new tracks (audio or virtual synths) in a surround project is possible. But it is impossible to  control the surroundpanorama with my VS700 joystick. Command plus joystick sets a focus on it (the screen of the big panarama window is moving) but releasing that, the focus itself doesn't move. Also the button LFE solo causes nothing. All channels are giving sound. Is this a bug? Who can help??? Thank you
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1