Surround plugins in platinum.

Author
gary031859
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2016/04/08 19:32:00 (permalink)

Surround plugins in platinum.

Hi. I bought Altiverb XL to use on surround bus. But, altiverb could only find the first two channels. I called them about it and they checked into it, and said they couldn't make it work with the new sonar platinum. They refunded me.

I then tried out voxengo pristine space. They, too, ended up telling me something is broken between their plugins and sonar platinum. It appears I can't use multichannel plugins in sonar platinum? This can't be right.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong, and that the developers missed? If there is a serious bug like this, will it be fixed soon? There have been quite a number of updates already, and I would think this would be up there as a priority.

Please inform, ... anybody. LOL
Thanks, so much!

Gary

7 Replies Related Threads

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/08 20:08:13 (permalink)
    not in front of my daw but i believe you have to set the project to be surround in preferences at least it was that way in X3. if you did that then someone else will have to weigh in.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/08 20:08:13 (permalink)
    duplicate post....
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/08 20:23:13 (permalink)
    Sonar doesn't actually support surround VSTs unfortunately. When you do something surround it inserts multiple copies of stereo VSTs to cover all the channels. I'm not sure why it doesn't actually support surround, but there you go. There must be a technical hurdle to implementing it because it isn't the only DAW with issues with it.

As far as I know the only DAWs that can handle surround plugins are: Pro Tools (only in their native AAX format of course), Cubase/Nuendo, Digital Performer, Adobe Audition/Premier and Pyramix.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/08 23:28:00 (permalink)
    Hi there isn't a technical hurdle, its just that we haven't had enough demand for surround VST support to justify doing it. We do support surround plugins via surroundbridge and DX plugins however.
    Not to say we won't do it but its not been a highly requested item.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    ScottC
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/12 00:08:44 (permalink)
    I know that I am interested. Please add VST3 surround capabilities.
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2016/04/12 05:19:44 (permalink)
    I guess what I meant by technical hurdle is that there is some non-trivial amount of specialized work required to make it happen. I would have presumed that it would be easy: If a DAW supports surround, and the DAW supports VSTs, then it can support surround VSTs. Just allow for the correct number of ins and outs. However the fact that practically every DAW supports surround and VSTs but only a couple support surround plugins tells me that there are other technical hurdles to making it happen.

My thought process is that if it was easy, everyone would already do it :).
    mickeymonster
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Surround plugins in platinum. 2017/09/03 21:29:48 (permalink)
    Surround sound is the way of the future. I don't know which format, but one day you'll be able to author, burn it, upload it, share, sell, stream it. More headphones and car systems will have it too. I, like many people, bought platinum because cakewalk lists surround sound as one of its features. Only now do I begin to understand cakewalk has not worked on making it useful, i.e. the monitoring, encoding, export, everything. Craig Anderton, you now are at the helm at Cakewalk under Gibson posting how cool your vs700c you picked up and how you finally got it to run with Platinum (made at the pinnacle of Cakewalks innovation Sonar 8, X3, under Roland, back when Cakewalk was striving to make sure its software and hardware were seamlessly compatible.). Now we pay monthly subscriptions for a product that seems to do everything imaginable in the box, but doesn't have its own interface, control surface or phone support, ALTHOUGH IT USED TO, and with no investment in surround evolvement for years now, yet you're selling it to trusting but uneducated customers like me who once owned X3, loved it, lost it, and miss it. Can you please, please honor me and all of those like me who bought Platinum instead of Pro Tools because it promised surround sound, and I don't mean having to invest in a bunch of mix and match hardware and third party plug ins and hope it all works just to play around with it in the box and not be able to share it... I mean being able to export it, sell it and play it on a consumer surround system. Tell us what to buy, from the top... from audio interface to headphones to speakers to sellable media(DVD/CD, etc...
    Then get to work on making Sonar great again... stop distracting us with VSTs plug ins and soft synths and start making real tactile hardware again, like you used to...like the VST 700, but made for Platinum.
    Craig, Mr. Anderton... you seem to be genuinely and positively focused on product improvement and customer satisfaction, and I'm not trying to be critical or attack you. I know almost nothing about you... but I do know one thing... I've been using Cakewalk since before the word Sonar was even part of it, and it's not a guitar... its a DAW. DAWS need inclusive hardware to be useable. They need to be useable to be competitive. And they need to be competitive to survive. It just seems wrong to spend days watching forum discussions about surround that begin with questions you make us all have to answer ourselves, ferment into disappointing revelations from grief stricken posters who had to fumble around in the dark and waste money, then culminate in you, happy with your VS 700 you probably got on Ebay, with NO explanation of how you did it, or anyone to call for customer support! Please, take some of the money you're making from us and make a new stand alone multi in out interface / control surface!
    Make it just like the VS700c but made for Producer and Platinum, make it affordable, and don't make Platinum obsolete or sell the company to a harmonica maker!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1