Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2010/05/06 00:41:09 (permalink)

Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring

I'm about to delve into the wonderful world of 5.1 and have a number of jobs lined up which will be in surround. I'd like to start a thread where anyone with 5.1 experience can post ANYTHING they've learnt, no matter how seemingly obvious, for the benefit of those like me who are just starting out, or those thinking of entering 5.1 music. I'd love to hear about some:

Surround recording techniques in general, as well as instrument specific techniques (for both classical and pop music)
Mixing techniques and approaches
Any 'surround bars' you've made that hold 5 mics securely!
Authoring and encoding 
Ideas for additional content for the VIDEO_TS directory on DVD-A discs
Gear and software you've used that makes life easier and/or better
Changes to your control room necessary
Bass management
Any revelations in general you may have had!

There is precious little info on surround recording, so I'd love to benefit from the experience of anyone willing to share. Like I said, any topic is good no matter how obvious or boringly technical.

I have some DVD-A discs ordered and on the way which I'll no doubt learn from - please suggest some good reference 5.1 music releases, both classical and popular. Even if they're 'bad', I'd love to get an idea of the different approaches being taken.

I hope this thread doesn't die before it's begun!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

22 Replies Related Threads

ShadDOH
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1027
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 01:12:12 (permalink)
    "learnt" Interesting... I have an Indian (from India) friend who used that term. Surround? ha! I'm still trying to learn stereo!! LOL! Good luck w/Surround, seriously. Your b@!!$ are bigger than mine. I respect your ambition and sincerely wish you good luck.

Please pray for Foxwolfen, pray for peace for him. And an end to any deception, anger, and hatred around him or influencing him.   

My stuff is here,  http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby 

jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 01:37:06 (permalink)
    'Learnt' is British English, and 'learned' is American English - they mean the same thing.

Thanks for your good wishes - I wish myself luck too! I think I'll need it

OK, I'll kick things off. Has anyone tried the 'Halo' approach for micing a drum kit, ie. 5 mics arranged in, well, a halo above the drummer's head? It sounds interesting, but I can't help but imagine there would be a lot of phasing issues here? Why don't I try it and see?! My speakers don't arrive until next week, so I can't start experimenting yet. The reason I'm interested in this particular approach is that my live room isn't really big enough to warrant ambient micing on a kit. I will of course take my gear to a suitable hall and experiment with these ambient techniques at a later date, but initially, I'd like to start recording in a 'dry' acoustic.

Anyone recorded piano in surround? Ah, I can't wait to start experimenting!

If you've dabbled in 5.1, please, please, please post!!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 10:38:47 (permalink)
    Why don't I try it and see?!

That's the best thing you can do. Just experiment.

In college I wrote a piece of music for all the pianos in a piano store and 8 players. The concept was to play more with the spatial aspects of the situation rather than harmony/melody. The players would move around to different pianos at different times and the whole thing was recorded with a Soundfield ST-250 mic (now replaced by the ST-350 but you can read a bit about the 250 here.)set smack dab in the middle of the store. So the center, close pianos sounded close and the further pianos sounded far away. (of course) We recorded at night to try to reduce external noise, and I tried to make sure the players moved around quietly.  I ended up with an Ambisonic B-Format recording on 4 tracks of a 1/2" 8 track tape.  I should really try to digitize that at some point...

I just wish Sonar would support surround VSTs properly.

As far as authoring, if you're doing this for your own enjoyment then look in to Lplex. It lets you put 24/48 uncompressed surround on a standard DVD-Video disc so it will play on just about any DVD player.
    tarsier
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 10:43:00 (permalink)
    Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention the Pentatone RQR SACD series. The RQR are "Remastered Quadraphonic" recordings originally recorded in the '70s for Quad systems. They are 4 channel surround and I really like them.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 14:35:38 (permalink)
    jamescollins

There is precious little info on surround recording

You're probably right on that point ... I haven't seen much.  Owsinski's Mixing Engineers Handbook has a little bit, plus some interviews with engineers who have done some real work in this area.  But overall it's still pretty light.

As for reference surround mixes, I'd say Yellow Brick Road is a must, irrespective of what you think of Mr. John's music. 

If I were approaching this (trying to learn best practices), I think I'd make myself intimately familiar with two or three tracks in stereo, before I got too familiar with the surround mixes.  Once I knew the stereo mix really, really well, then (and not until then) would I study how surround was used.  I'd bet this approach would be a good one for any reference albums you chose, not just Yellow Brick Road.

Other notable surround albums worth checking out:
    - Tommy
    - Any of the Genisis "middle period" albums such as Trick of the Tail or Wind and Wuthering
    - DarkSide of the Moon (my all time favorite surround remix, but unless you've got a lot of sound effects, maybe not the best model for learning surround mixing techniques relevant to what you'd like to accomplish).
    - Brothers in Arms (not the most electrifying surround, but tasteful and probably worth attention for mixing pointers).

jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/06 19:37:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys. Will get hold of the recordings mentioned, both stereo and surround versions. 

Tarsier, sounds like a fascinating project you did! What were the results like? 

As far as authoring is concerned, why do you say to use Lplex if it's for my own enjoyment? Why not release it commercially? Thanks for the link, obviously I'm not going to fork out for an MLP encoder at this point, so alternatives are very welcome! 

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    tarsier
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/07 10:25:12 (permalink)

Tarsier, sounds like a fascinating project you did! What were the results like? As far as authoring is concerned, why do you say to use Lplex if it's for my own enjoyment? Why not release it commercially?

Yeah, that project was a lot of fun. The results were... ok... mainly due to the piano store environment still being too noisy. The spatial aspects turned out pretty well, except that it sounded like it was in a piano store. I would have preferred to have all the pianos in a nice hall, but who has the money for that? My piano players were really terrific and enthusiastic about the project, and one of them had the piano store connection. I miss college and that environment of lets-just-try-it!

Regarding Lplex, I dunno why I said that, really. Maybe 'cause it's a beta that hasn't been updated for years? But maybe it hasn't been updated because it just works exactly right and does what it says. If that's the case, and it does what you need, then why not use it for a commercial release? I used it for an experiment and it worked as advertised, so I guess I have nothing bad to say about it.
    post edited by tarsier - 2010/05/07 10:26:21
    jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 02:22:24 (permalink)
    Whilst on the subject of authoring, I thought I'd paste some links that Jon (thatonejonguy) gave me to free encoders.

On this link http://24bit.turtleside.com/ there are downloads for the above mentioned Lplex (ac3), as well as DVD-Audiofile, and other useful programs/encoders.

Here is another AC3 encoder http://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/ 

My monitors still haven't arrived yet, but I'm assured that they're on their way (I'm only using HS80s with a KRK Rokit 10s sub). When they get here, I'll post anything useful that I learn.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 02:35:39 (permalink)
    Bass management. I've been looking around for a good solution (even though it's not necessary, we're told it's a good idea to get some form of BM to check how our music might translate on consumer systems).

I was about to go for the Blue Sky BMC Mk III (http://abluesky.com/products/bmc-mkiii/) and then I came across this little plugin by Voxengo, http://www.voxengo.com/product/bms/ at a fraction of the price of Blue Sky's hardware unit.

Firstly, has anyone used both or either of these systems? If not, would you mind speculating over advantages/disadvantages of the 2 systems, based on construction, design, philosophy etc. I've been thinking about it, and surely a bass management system is just a series of filters? If so, I can't think of any reason why these tasks could not be carried out by a plugin. It just seems too good to be true though!

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 10:22:51 (permalink)
    Hardware units are necessarily used for bass management by mastering guys because they don't have the luxury of being able to work with the original tracks. If all you have is stems or a 2-track or a 5.1 mix to work with, you need to be able to manipulate the existing bass content outside the box. But if you're the mixer, it would seem to me that you could achieve the same results with a plugin. Mind you, I have never done surround so this is conjecture on my part.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tarsier
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 10:32:27 (permalink)
    On this link http://24bit.turtleside.com/ there are downloads for the above mentioned Lplex (ac3)

Lplex is not an ac3 encoder. It writes uncompressed PCM audio to a DVD-Video disc. DVD-Video can do uncompressed PCM audio at up to 24 bit 48 kHz 6 channel. Or 2 channels of 24/96.  Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Regarding bass management, I haven't used either of those products you mentioned. But yes, bass management is just filtering and routing. I took a quick glance at the plugin.  Since Sonar doesn't properly support surround VST plugins, this might not work correctly in Sonar.  But try the demo and see.

You could also pick up a set of consumer surround speakers to do a mix check. Logitech makes some decent ones.

The Blue Sky unit is going to be your best friend since it is a surround volume control knob.  If you are serious about this, have the cash, and don't yet have a surround volume control, it looks like a good solution. You might want to investigate other surround volume controls as well.

jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 10:35:00 (permalink)
    Thank you, that's great news! The $40 for Voxengo's plugin is a much more attractive deal! When all my gear arrives, I'll buy it and let you know how it goes.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    seriousfun
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/10 23:17:12 (permalink)

There's lots of information out there about surround music.

I'd start by reading Tomlinson Holman's book http://www.amazon.com/Surround-Sound-Second-Up-running/dp/0240808290/ref=dp_cp_ob_b_title_0. Bobby Owsinski's surroundassociates.com website has lots of info.

Listen to a lot of stuff: 
    Beck - Sea Change
    Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat 
    Roxy Music - Avalon 
    Porcupine Tree  - In Absentia

To record live acoustic events for surround mixing and distribution, you can use microphones or techniques that you already know. ORTF, X/Y, Blumlein pair, M/S, etc. with a pair or two of hall mics and spot mics for soloists. You can apply this to drum overheads, room mics, etc., for acoustic guitars, pianos, etc. in rock, jazz and pop.

5.1 is an ideal delivery method whether you have one channel or five. A mono mix is at its best delivered from a full range center channel. LCR stereo is almost always better than LR stereo. Quad - 4.0 - can sound great on a 5.1 system (the new Chicago Transit Authority release from Rhino Handmade is great fun http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/chicago-chicago-transit-authority-dvd-quadraphonic). The LFE channel should probably never be used in a music mix.

Five identical speakers with a properly integrated subwoofer are needed. Bass Manaqement is simply the system crossover needed to integrate the subwoofer, as with the Blue Sky unit (I wouldn't use software for this - a plugin does not work at the right point in your gain stage, and will not deliver the best signal to noise compared to a hardware unit right before the power amplifiers). Whatever else you have done to your room acoustics will probably make your surround system work well.

Any audio interface with six or more outputs will work. You will need a hardware surround monitor controller to at least turn up and down the six speakers, like a Martinsound MultiMAX or that Blue Sky unit. I've used the Presonus Firestudio/MSR with good results.

Distribution is tough. You can't burn an SA-CD, you can burn a DVD-A but it'll cost a lot. You can burn a video DVD with 5.1 24/48 audio that plays in DVD-A players with Minnetonka DiskWelder Bronze, and a demo of that with an affordable upgrade came with SONAR Producer at one point. DTS and Dolby Digital encoders are expensive and by nature lossy. Fraunhofer has a Surround MP3 encoder for free (but it's MP3...).

Doug Osborne
    Rootdogg
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/11 03:41:45 (permalink)
    Reference Material:

These bands / artists have done amazing work with DTS / SACD over the past 10 years or so.  I highly recommend obtaining what they have done for reference or general listening bliss!

Beck - Sea Change SACD

The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics DVDA
                                 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots DVDA
                                 The Soft Bulletin DVDA

NIN - The Downward Spiral SACD

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia DVDA
                               Deadwing DVDA
                               Fear of a Blank Planet DVDA
                               The Incident DVDA

Porcupine Tree's albums are just amazing, beautiful.  The Flaming Lips really use some wild panning techniques.  Beck's is about the highest fidelity I have ever heard.  NIN is mastered perfectly.

jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/11 05:16:03 (permalink)

Lplex is not an ac3 encoder. It writes uncompressed PCM audio to a DVD-Video disc. DVD-Video can do uncompressed PCM audio at up to 24 bit 48 kHz 6 channel. Or 2 channels of 24/96.  Just wanted to make sure that was clear. Regarding bass management, I haven't used either of those products you mentioned. But yes, bass management is just filtering and routing. I took a quick glance at the plugin.  Since Sonar doesn't properly support surround VST plugins, this might not work correctly in Sonar.  But try the demo and see. You could also pick up a set of consumer surround speakers to do a mix check. Logitech makes some decent ones. The Blue Sky unit is going to be your best friend since it is a surround volume control knob.  If you are serious about this, have the cash, and don't yet have a surround volume control, it looks like a good solution. You might want to investigate other surround volume controls as well.
    tarsier

Thank you Tarsier - I had no idea that DVD-V discs support uncompressed audio, thanks for clearing that up - I hate reading false info online, so please correct every error you see!
    You worried me slightly by saying Sonar does not properly support surround VSTs - please define 'properly' - what aspect of surround VSTs is limited/unsupported in Sonar?
    Regarding gear and monitor controllers, yes, I am serious - as far as my budget for this allows! I've got some basic gear to get me going on order, just waiting for it to arrive - x5 HS80s, monitor controller etc.
    Seriousfun, thank you very much for your post, just what I was looking for. I knew Owinski was into surround, but had never come across that site.I've also bought the book you linked to. 
    post edited by jamescollins - 2010/05/11 05:18:31

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    tarsier
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/12 21:27:44 (permalink)
    You worried me slightly by saying Sonar does not properly support surround VSTs - please define 'properly' - what aspect of surround VSTs is limited/unsupported in Sonar?

Sonar treats all multichannel VSTs as stereo-with-sidechain-inputs. So you can't use a surround VST like you would a surround DX plugin like the Sonitus.

If you try to insert a surround VST on a Surround Bus in Sonar, you will just get stereo instances of it inserted multiple times into the Surround Bridge. Not the desired behavior of one instance of the plugin inserted in the surround bus without the surround bridge.

That's why I suggested you try before you buy any surround VSTs. Surround DX plugins work fine, but I don't think anyone makes any except the Cakewalk Sonitus ones, and the Pantheon reverb back in the day. The surround Pantheon isn't even bundled with Sonar anymore.
    Rootdogg
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/14 03:19:42 (permalink)
    Good read on surround mixing / mastering:

http://emusician.com/tutorials/5-1_mix/
    Rootdogg
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/16 16:32:30 (permalink)
    Hey guys.  I have been sucessfully mixing and mastering surround audio from SONAR.
    I have been using a DTS encoder to take all 6 separate channels and output them to one DTS file / mix.

Now, it seems I'm having trouble burning for playback in my DVD player (or any standard DVD player).

My output options in the encoder are:
    DTS WAV (*.wav)
    DTS Padded (*.dts)
    DTS Compact (*.cpt)

Which format is correct for burning to a DVD?
    Should I burn to a DVDR or CDR?

I burned a few .ISO files of one surround track using DVD-Audio Solo, but after I burn the .ISO to a DVDR, they dont play in my DVD player. 

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the burning process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/18 04:31:26 (permalink)
    Hi Rootdogg, great that you seem to be getting on well! The correct encoder output option to use depends on your authoring program, I've never used DVD-Audio Solo, so I can't tell you which one it likes - trial and error is probably the easiest way to tell.

Well my speakers have arrived, not my monitor controller yet, but it's all very exciting. I've come across a major bummer though, Sonar does not seem to be the DAW to use for surround. As tarsier warned, no surround plugins work inside Sonar, including the Waves 360 Surround tools which is a major setback for me. In fact, the only plugins that seem to function as they should (even when inserted on a track, not a bus) are the Sonitus plugins! I hope that it's user error, so I'll describe my problem and hopefully someone can tell me I have a small brain and give me a workaround/fix:

I insert a stereo plugin on a stereo track, routed to a surround bus. Depending on the plugin, I either get a weird 'grating' noise, or it starts out functioning as it should, then it's output becomes more and more delayed as time goes on, eg. I insert a reverb on a snare track, and after a while, it's as if I've applied a delay to the snare, I can hear a distinct echo that increases with time. Is this a VST/DXi issue? Maybe there's some delay compensation for surround that I don't know about. But like I said, this happens when inserting across a track, as well as in SurroundBridge on a bus.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Rootdogg
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/18 18:14:09 (permalink)
    What do you consider a "surround" plugin, James?

I have just been using normal plugins, I suppose, like reverb and compression.  I have used the surround compressor though, forget which one.  I will repost should I have a similar experience.  Which plugins would you recommend playing around with in SONAR?  Are the plugins you are referring to 3rd party software?
    jamescollins
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2010/05/19 01:10:24 (permalink)
    A surround plugin I guess is a single plugin with 6 inputs and 6 outputs (for 5.1 that is). The problem with Sonar is that it's designed to adapt stereo plugins for surround ie. it simply inserts 6 instances of the plugin, linking the controls. So when you insert an actual surround plugin with 6 ins and 6 outs, it still inserts 6 instances of that plugin and creates a big mess!

The Sonitus plugins work fine with surroundbridge, but I haven't had any luck with any other 3rd party plugs, eg. Waves, Izotope etc. I really hope it's me that's the problem. I was fiddling around with it again today, and discovered all is well with a track soloed, but when everything is in the mix, that's when the delay is introduced. Sounds like some manual delay compensation is needed...help anyone?

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    enlikil
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Surround recording, mixing, mastering and authoring 2016/07/30 12:24:48 (permalink)
    Are you still doing surround? i'm curious on what dts encoder or method you were using?
    I'm looking at doing some.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1