Surround sound with an audio interface?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2018/07/31 22:36:13 (permalink)

Surround sound with an audio interface?

I’m first and foremost a musician, then landscaper, and then somewhere down the list, a gamer.

For my gaming, I want to get some quadrophonic surround sound by adding in a set of old stereos speakers my parents have had for years. I’d ONLY be  using them for gaming/entertainment purposes. All eight of the outputs on my interface show up as discreet outputs; I’ve got sound working perfectly and have even set up Cakewalk to route to their output just to see how they sounded with my mixes, and have had them playing simultaneously along with my primary monitors, so clearly mixing quadrophonically wouldn’t be an issue.

However I can’t seem to find any settings in Windows that will let me stream 2 sets of stereo audio to 2 sources at the same time, nor to maybe 'force' Windows to treat the 2 stereo outputs as a quad-surround setup. 
 Is there some sort of “virtual sound router” or some kinda of tool, program, or driver I can download to attempt to set up surround sound in Windows 10?
If push comes to shove, I’ll just use an app that can mirror a stereo output to another output. But first I want to try quadrophonic!

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

1 Reply Related Threads

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Surround sound with an audio interface? 2018/07/31 23:35:20 (permalink)
    Aha! After a littttle bit of digging, I managed to find the software "Voicemeeter" (with two e's). I'm trying to work it out so that my main outputs are the LR front speakers and my 3/4 outputs are my back speakers.

Really cool stuff though! It's exactly what I was looking for.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1