Helpful Reply[Resolved] Sustain Pedal and Rapture

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2015/02/28 20:32:04 (permalink)

[Resolved] Sustain Pedal and Rapture

Today, I reinstalled Dim Pro and Rapture to turn the lights green in C3. Probably this was a mistake.

My sustain pedal is working for Dim Pro and True Pianos but not Rapture. Something went wrong for me.

Can someone who installed Rapture using C3 confirm that their sustain pedal in Rapture works properly?

I have recorded the sustain pedal and viewed the on off events in the event viewer. It's not that.

I'm not sure what the fix might be. Re-install Rapture?

Initially, I asked B-Rock this...
gswitz
We got some new Rapture sounds in the latest Sonar release but my hold pedal on my GR-20 doesn't hold them. Is there a switch I flip somewhere to get them work with a hold?

B-Rock
Best guess:  Without fail, all of the presets to date had SUS/SOST (in the upper-left Multisample window) both defaulting to On/On.  Maybe these particular presets don't.  CC#64 and CC#66 are two of the hardwired MIDI messages in Rapture (unless something drastic has changed).  But they can be overridden in the Multisample window.

All else fails, try putting CC#64 in a Modulation Matrix slot.  (You didn't change the Hold Mode on the synth, did you?  H4, if I recall correctly.  I'm sure you checked against other working Rapture presets first, though.)

I confirmed the SUS/SOST settings and tried the sustain on more conventional patches in Rapture (one's I've used often) and no love. The sustain just isn't working in Rapture only.

Thoughts?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/02/28 20:42:49 (permalink)
I want to add that this is just an instance of Rapture on a track. I don't have any of those midi filters before it.

When I put an instance of Dim Pro next to an instance of Rapture with the same midi input, Dim Pro holds and Rapture does not.

Playing with the sustain in Rapture while playing my guitar is just one of my all time favorite hobbies.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/02/28 20:50:57

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/02/28 23:28:07 (permalink)
I'm guessing I shouldn't have reinstalled using C3 without uninstalling first.

I need to figure out how to back up all my content then uninstall and re-install.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/02/28 23:35:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/03/01 08:16:06
Did you try removing the C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\MIDI\MidiConfig00.bin?

Uninstalling Rapture should not touch content added by expansion packs or stuff you created but if you want to be safe make copies of the Multisamples and Lfo Waveforms folders and the entire "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture" folder before uninstalling.
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 08:14:15 (permalink)
Thanks, Scook!!

Removing the MidiConfig00.bin did not help.

Next, I backed up the files as you suggested, took a screen shot showing all the stuff I had installed so I would know if I lost anything.

Next I went to C3 and choose 'Re-Install' and blam! it works!!

The re-install was VERY fast. It did not re-download the files. It did not delete any of my stuff nor did I have to reinstall the patches I've bought over the years.

gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 08:25:03 (permalink)
No it's not working now. IDK What changed. I just closed Sonar and re-opened and now it isn't working again.

I'm re-scanning plugs.

I re-installed and re-tested and it still isn't working. I think I may have mis-verified the first time. Seeing both the GR-20 outputs holding and the Rapture outputs holding maybe I thought it was working.

I don't know. I'm depressed.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/03/01 08:39:31

gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 08:45:26 (permalink)
The sustain works for 06 - Keys > Organ 4 in Rapture. But not for many others.

All of them have Sust/Sost set On On

Edit>
Maddeningly inconsistent results. I have the hold working on lots of things. B-Rock's patches, Encanti patches, Galbanum patches, Stock patches, but not on the Steinberger.

Edit>
The sustain didn't used to be working ever in Rapture on any of the patches. Now it is working on the ones I've tested, but not the Steinberger.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/03/01 09:23:25

beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 08:54:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/03/01 09:38:09
I (stupidly maybe) assumed that the additional Rapture content was in the Rapture package in C3, so I also reinstalled without deinstalling, assuming C3 was smart enough to figure out where my installation were. Instead I got a split installation between C: and D: (original) so some multisamples weren't accessible. I gave up and manually moved the old content to C:, I don't like it but have the space.

Anyway, in spite of this "mess" I don't have any sustain pedal problem, tried several sounds.
Tried most of the hardgroove Steinbergers as well and they seemed ok.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 09:22:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby beltrom 2015/03/01 10:32:27
@gswitz
I believe I read in one of Noel's posts they used a new compiler on this version of SONAR. I wonder if they recompiled Rapture. I would try uninstalling Rapture and install it from a previous version of SONAR.

@belton
Move the multisamples wherever you want, run the cmd.exe as administrator and type
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples" fQPathToNewMultisamplesFolder
and your Rapture multisample problem will be solved permanently. fqPathToNewMultisamplesFolder is the fully qualified path to the new location for example "D:\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples."
beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 09:39:09 (permalink)
scook
@belton
Move the multisamples wherever you want, run the cmd.exe as administrator and type
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples" fQPathToNewMultisamplesFolder
and your Rapture multisample problem will be solved permanently. fqPathToNewMultisamplesFolder is the fully qualified path to the new location for example "D:\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples."

Yes - that would be a neat way of solving it. Thanks!
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 09:52:05 (permalink)
@Scook
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll consider it. I've been messing with Rapture all morning. I think I'm going to take a break and relax. I had a nice long jam using hold and some patches that aren't the new ones. haha. I'm basically happy that my old stuff is working so I can continue to play in the Rapture sandbox.

I don't know why only those patches don't sustain.

I reinstalled the Anderton Collection from C3 in case that might help. - it didn't.

I tested the behavior with my keyboard to try a different driver and midi input (instead of through the RME - the keyboard uses USB). The behavior is the same.

I may look for an old installer at Scooks suggestion. For now, I'm going to go hang with my family.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 10:34:37 (permalink)
Based on Beltrom's remarks I doubt an old installer will make a difference but I can't say for sure not having installed Rapture in years.
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 16:50:09 (permalink)
Ok... don't laugh at me... but I think I have a better idea of what's what after using my keyboard for a while.

At the guitar, I don't totally control the note on/note off events as I do at a keyboard.

using a Steinberger patch
When I just hit a note and then release it, the note decays quickly.
It effectively stops sound at the key up moment.

When I step on the sustain pedal, hit a note and let the key up, the sustain lingers, but it is not a 'hold' scenario like you get with some pads and Dim Pro stuff. You get decay like with a keyboard.

I feel like I made a big fool of myself with this thread, but there you go. The difference was in the expectation. Obviously I rarely use piano like patches where the sustain button works like a piano pedal just letting the string ring out. I'm used to the sustain/hold pedal actually keeping the note/pad going indefinitely.

Sorry for being stupid about it. Learning curve again.

I should say, that at one point, I couldn't sustain ANYTHING in Rapture, but after the initial re-install, that problem went away. (or maybe one of the dozens of reboots, who knows - I Reinstalled Rapture at least 4-5 times.)
post edited by gswitz - 2015/03/01 17:03:11

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 17:04:07 (permalink)
All that matters is you got the problem solved. Please update the thread subject
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/01 22:24:56 (permalink)
gswitz
Ok... don't laugh at me... but I think I have a better idea of what's what after using my keyboard for a while.

When I step on the sustain pedal, hit a note and let the key up, the sustain lingers, but it is not a 'hold' scenario like you get with some pads and Dim Pro stuff. You get decay like with a keyboard.

Sorry for being stupid about it. Learning curve again.

Not stupid! I didn't loop the sustain of the bass notes, but just let them decay naturally. So when you try to sustain, there's nothing that can sustain...the note will last as long as it wants to last.

I did try looping some of the notes to hear what would happen if sustained, but then the question becomes where do you loop...toward the end of the decay, the beginning, or what? Generally what I would do if I wanted sustain would be to loop the waveform relatively soon after the attack. But then the sound becomes more synth-like, and with Brian's Steinberger, I wanted it to be as authentic a sound as possible. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2015/03/02 15:42:50 (permalink)
Thanks Craig. That was nice of you.

cakescott111
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/25 18:42:37 (permalink)
It's August 2017. and still no piano sustain. hmmm. Im on Cubase Pro 9 and Sierra on Mac.
I hope this sustain bug will be fixed in an update.
This is a simple necessity with piano patches.
I just installed Rapture, but I will avoid using the pianos
for now until  a viable download-update is available that has addressed and fixed this.
if one is available please let me know. Thanks.
By the way...Nice sounding product!
Thanks so much-
Scott
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/26 00:23:42 (permalink)
This is not a bug. There are two types of piano sustain. One just let's the sound ring and fade. That is what is described here.

The other is synth sustain that can go on indefinitely.

It works as designed.

cakescott111
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/26 00:35:16 (permalink)
Good evening. thank you for your kind reply. as mentioned earlier.
This is a really good sounding product. I am a producer, programmer, writer here is Nashville.
I have been on Daws since 2003. this is the first time I have called up piano's in a library that did not
sustain when the piano sustain was pressed and I found a handful of threads with same predicament.
I guess you would have to be sitting here with me with the piano's pulled up and playing the keys and pressing the keyboard to articulate what it is you are saying. so I want to give you the full benefit of the doubt. but this just seems  simple to me....your piano patches are not being triggered by the sustain peddle, and yet it works on most all your other sound patches...which is baffling to me.
I am on MacOs Sierra 10.12.4, on a mac mini w Cubase pro 9.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for replying by the way,
Scott
gswitz
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/26 02:08:11 (permalink)
I totally understand you, Scott. I stuttered on this same thing at one point.

You know how when you play a real piano the sustain pedal just allows for a natural sustain to fade the note out, but it doesn't damp the note? That's the way some patches work in Rapture. They do not sustain the note forever when you hit the hold pedal.

The purpose of this is explained in the post by Craig Anderton. He was going for a real sounding bass. He says this...

Chief Magic Officer
I did try looping some of the notes to hear what would happen if sustained, but then the question becomes where do you loop...toward the end of the decay, the beginning, or what? Generally what I would do if I wanted sustain would be to loop the waveform relatively soon after the attack. But then the sound becomes more synth-like, and with Brian's Steinberger, I wanted it to be as authentic a sound as possible.

So try one of the sounds and just tap and release the key without the sustain pedal. Then do the same stepping on the pedal. The note will still quickly decay, but not damped as it is when you don't step on the pedal.

There are plenty of Rapture patches that don't follow this pattern. Only some do. And those that do, do for a reason.

cakescott111
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/26 02:23:25 (permalink)
ok. fascinating. thanks for sharing.
so thankful for an additional color palette for writing and producing.
and what a low price point.it was a terrific find online today
at Plugin Boutique.
Have a great weekend!

Detwoen
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Sustain Pedal and Rapture 2017/08/26 02:25:16 (permalink)
I had the same problem with Sampletek Grand Piano in Rapture Sessions, and what resolved it was making sure I had assigned the midi output to Channel 1. Some VSTs don't seem to need you to do that - just insert them and they work, but the Rapture piano was the first I'd used that would work without the midi channel assigned, but to have the sustain working, you needed to assign the midi channel. Don't know if that will help but I hope so.
Cheers
Dave
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1