Helpful ReplySwing More! Thoughts

Author
bigcatt
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 542
2017/04/21 20:29:49 (permalink)

Swing More! Thoughts

Got GAS. Bought from JRR and a nice chap on VI. Waiting for the ProjectSam challenge code from JRR (so far 24 hours) and the license transfer from Embertone. Too much time to think about that massive attack of GAS!
So what do you do to pass the time? Any suggestions?
Just watched all the Harry Potter Movies before I lend them to a friend. Lord of the Rings is better.
If I'd only listened to Fleer I'd already have the Embertone and not be waiting. Anyone create anything with that pack I can listen to while I wait?
I may be rambling.

Update. Got the Embertone Solo Strings from a nice chap for the sale price!

The following are thoughts on Swing More!

Also I am now broke.
post edited by bigcatt - 2017/04/25 12:32:59
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/21 20:33:30 (permalink)
Eat celery with peanutbutter on it?

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/21 20:46:07 (permalink)
I ate a peanut butter and apple butter sandwich earlier, don't seem to have any celery...
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/21 20:49:46 (permalink)
eph221
Eat celery with peanutbutter on it?

Add raisins....Ant's on a Log...

bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/21 22:01:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/04/21 22:31:17
I never tried that Larry I'll have to make note. Plus is sound fairly cheap and cheap is good...

Good news I shot a quick email to JRR and my challenge code arrived! Now I just need to wait a few hours until my 'soft' data cap gets softer in the evening / weekend.

I'll make this more corrector for the forum by sharing impressions and possibly even really crappy demos when I get things downloaded and installed.
bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 03:15:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/04/22 04:27:40
I saw what might have been a couple raisins on the floor but i wasn't sure....
Downloading away now... only 3.5 hours if things go well until it is time to run setup.
Anyway I used some of the time to finish Frasier season 3 and start the Simpsons season 2.
Also wrote a weird songlet that lasts from 20 seconds to a minute depending on the tempo I set. This time I used various note lengths that seemed to help ease the boredumb. Big music tip there don't just stick with half notes!
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 04:10:47 (permalink)
Maybe try some Larry now. The show.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 04:36:10 (permalink)
That Larry show is a HOOT! 

bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 04:38:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/04/22 05:03:34
I love Larry along with his brothers Darryl and Darryl on the Larry Show though sometimes the supporting actors like that Newhart chap really hogged the air time.
bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 11:15:25 (permalink)
If I got the keyswitches right, sustain and staccato alto sax

http://www.mediafire.com/file/58p0nne0rwddbbp/Swing_More_-_Alto_Sax_-_Stac_Sus.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/...o_Sax_-_S_S_Softer.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4fizqquiizc5vvr/Swing_More_-_Alto_Sax_-_S_S_Softerer.wav
This is the stage mic preset. The first is mf to f, the second is one midi track p to mf and the other mf to f (I forgot about the other track), the third is both midi tracks p to mf.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzczb9u2x2m433f/SM_-_Alto_Sax_-_Sustain_Stac_-_Close.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/file/69jubx9nf21xxoz/SM_-_Alto_Sax_-_S_S_Softer_-_Close.wav
And the close preset.

What if someone went a little nuts and tried marcatto in place of staccato and the crescendo / fall patch instead of sustain especially since the two track have different velocities and the crec/fall patch is velocity sensitive?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/61f67nff2c9jjut/SM_-_Alto_Sax_-_Marc_SFZ_-_Close.wav

Fragment of a random midi found on the digital roadside of Bye Bye Blackbird

Trying to figure out legato with a sad (in more ways than one) self penned tune, still alto sax
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sq6lg2uoaqpl9o3/Too_Bluff_-_SM_Legato_Soft.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d1kd2v7brkoka6o/Too_Bluff_-_SM_Legato.wav

post edited by bigcatt - 2017/04/22 12:22:06
bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/22 19:39:56 (permalink)
Some fairly well sampled stuff here. To me the saxes are star, but really all the instruments sound quite nice.

I'm not always a big vibrato fan but with the saxes it works really well. You can really get some expression going with the various vibratos. Oddly the fast vibrato can make for an almost mournful sound like the sax is tearing up.

The pianos aren't the throw away pianos you expect out of an 'orchestra' set. One has about 9500 samples and takes over 6 gigs if load fully into memory and the other has about 45000 samples and is 3.5 gigs. This is with ncw compression. Both seem to pedal up and down samples, release samples and two mic positions. The small one is the warm piano and only has two velocity layers. It kind of reminds me of my little soft piano I made off the soft layers of the city piano, but much cleaner. So I think the two layers are on purpose. It has a unique feel that I like. The big piano, the swing piano has 6 or 7 velocity layers and 2 round robins. It has both a swing and a concert setting. It sounded decent on classical piano midis but when I kicked up a favorite midi of a rockin piano on Cotton Fields the swing close mic really fit.

I really like the tone of the fretless bass and i don't have another good one. The odd thing about the setup is that the sustains and the staccatos both have slides up or down built in at high a low velocities. While this is interesting and fun, I wish there was a non-slide patch as well where you just played the fretless bass normally the same way the electric bass is setup. It seems to two velocity layers besides all the slides. The sustains have 2 RRs while everything else seems to have 6. 2,500 samples and 400 megs. 2 mics. 4 articulations built into the one patch, sustain, staccato, mute and gliss.

The electric bass is also nice and seems to be a Fodera based on the group names. It has similar stats to the fretless but no slides. 3 velocity layers, 2 sus RRs, 6 RRs otherwise. Same mics and articulations as the fretless. Again solid instrument and noone is gonna coplete about having another nice electric bass, but there are just so much more common than a fretless.
post edited by bigcatt - 2017/04/22 20:10:31
bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/25 12:33:21 (permalink)
The Saxophones can really take your breath away. I fell in love with the tone of the Alto Sax and surprised myself by really liking the various vibrato articulations. I'm not a fan of everything in the world needed vibrato 100% of the time (I'm looking at you string patches), but it really works well. The Tenor wasn't quite as enthralling, likely just personal taste, but the growl of the Baritone really got me. The Soprano Sax also surprised me, the upper register of some instruments makes me flinch, as in some violins sound like a cat in pain in the top octave, but this sounded pleasant and solid.

The Staccato and Marcato articulations tend to have 6 round robins and Falls from 3 to 6. Oddly the Sustain doesn't have round robins. The Staccato has 3 velocity layers and the others 2. There are also Bend Ups, Slurs, SFZs, Trills and I'm probably missing some. There are all kinds of fun patches that can be a bit surprising. Don't assume that the 'Longs' patch is just the Sustain articulation from the 'Basics' patch. It often isn't exactly the same. For instance the Soprana Sax has a slur at the top in basics and a marcato on top in longs. Also the 'Basics' patch usually has Staccato and Marcato while the 'Shorts' patch might add short gliss or bend articulations as well or maybe that famous DuhDab articulation.

The Legatos work in general but take some getting used to. The Multi-Dynamic is what you expect, the Soft and Versatile are not. Note that the volume control activates the three types of legato, but you can control the volume with the mod wheel even though it is labeled 'Filter Open' and 'Filer Close'. Some of the SFZ-Cresc legatos seem to respond oddly to the mod wheel however. With some practice I think you can get some really cool legato lines out of all this, but it might take that practice to really get the feel. The Versatile legato has Run and sometimes something like Slur or Lazy. Wow lots of stuff. What makes this all work i think is that the transitions within an octave up and down all seem to be sampled. If like me you like to poke around in the guts of instruments, you can see the sample groups flash as you make the transition. This also explains the 5000 samples in some of the legato patches.

I've looked at the guts of a lot of instruments, played with scripts, listened to a lot of samples sample by sample and rarely have I been as impressed with the work that went into instruments as I am with the saxes in this product. Fun, cool, swinging saxes that sound lovely!
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/26 00:55:31 (permalink)
Thks Bigcatt , i looked at the product when it was on sale ,just for curiosity and i was really impressed by it , more than other libraries  .... thks for the feedback , how , is the rest of the Library ?

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/26 04:15:44 (permalink)
The Banjo, Mandolin and Uke all seem to be about what you would expect. The Banjo has a basic patch plus strums and a groove patch. The Mandolin and Uke have long and short articulations with the shorts giving you a really nice 'plink' sound. They tend to have slides at the top velocity. Mandolin has a Strums and a Tremolo Sync patch. 2 mics. 2 to 4 round robins. Most have a slide on top and then one velocity layer below that. The Uke has two velocity layers in addition to the slide. I like these types of instruments so I'm having fun with them.

The Jazz Guitar takes some getting used to. i think I just have a different preconception about what a guitar should sound like. It has quite a few patches for things like strums, grooves and phrases. I'm learning that slides are definitely important for this type of music. The basic patch has long, long vib, short and mute. Again slide on top and then a single normal velocity layer. It seems to have a good tone and the mute is good.

With the understanding I don't know what I'm doing, I found this midi by Andy Bakke and tried a little mockup just using whatever articulation seemed to work since I was too lazy for keyswitches...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d9f9z70sfbm63en/When_the_Saints_-_Swing_More%21.wav

Found this midi from Don Carroll with drums and fretless bass, some banjo in there including a banjo / bass / drums bit...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/huqz48aoqud43sf/Saints_-_Swing_More%21.wav

post edited by bigcatt - 2017/04/26 14:18:32
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/26 22:33:16 (permalink)
Mmm seems really complete ... indeed

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

bigcatt
Re: And now the wait 2017/04/27 05:37:19 (permalink)
I'm not really huge fan of the orchestra plays chords patches, but I must admit the whole band, well 4 trumpets, 4 trombones and 5 saxes, playing something like 10 to 12 chord types in any key with 6 voicings does sound pretty nice. I'll really have to figure out how that works. The only note would be that they sound real in that some instruments come in a bit early or late and drop off a bit early so probably using exactly the same chord over and over would sound artificial, but as I say there are a fair number of variants so that shouldn't be a problem. A touch under 10000 samples and 1.75 gigs in the one patch. Sustain and staccato or both together. 3 mics. Though no round robins and 1 velocity layer. Just looking at my little chord chart and playing the various chords was surprisingly fun as was looking at chord charts for songs and playing those.

A very similar arrangement for Trombone chords except you seem to get a slur at the hardest velocity level of the staccato. Probably not a patch I would have picked, but hey its there if you want it. Generally 4 voicings here.

Proving this review of sorts has no rhyme or reason I took a look at the percussion next.
The Vibrophone is surprisingly heavily sampled and has a nice feel to it. Sustain (pedal down) and staccato both have 6 velocity layers. 2 RR for sustain and 6 for staccatto. Also Tremolo and Octave Run articulations though not as heavily sampled.

Small Percussion has Maraca, Cabaso, Agogo, various Shakers and chromatic Chimes. Everything but the chimes have round robins. Chimes have both individual and long running articulations. I'm not really a percussion guy but they seem to sound right and there seems to be a lot of variety.

Bongos and Congos seem to have lots of single hits and some multi hit samples. Tons of round robins and velocity layers. Again is sounds right to me. If you need Bongos and Congos you got a good set here.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1