Adam S3a monitors
Mastering:  Ozone 5 advanced, Sound Forge 10

www.jerrygerber.com/symph8mvt1.htm

post edited by jsg - 2012/06/16 00:04:20

11 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/16 00:12:48 (permalink)
    It's nice to have diversity here on the song forum, after listening to one classical piece, then a blues piece now we have a full on symphonic piece.

I'm in the middle of writing a "concerto" at the moment, although it's not quite a concerto due to the fact I didn't know the form until I was half way through.  It's for a competition here in Oz.

I don't mind the sounds but and I keep harping on, Notion 3 has some of the best string sounds going in terms of orchestral instruments.

You have the chops, it makes realize I'm still learning this classical caper.

I like. Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/16 23:21:32 (permalink)
    Pretty impressive work. I find it lacking in bottom end, but that may be due to having just listened to a pile of techno.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/16 23:36:41 (permalink)
    Bravo!  Encore!  Who even does that anymore?  What talent we have here.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    logan86
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 07:19:01 (permalink)
    Very impressive indeed! Enjoyed this a lot, although I would agree with Foxwolfen that it would have been nice to have something to occasionally fill out the bottom end a bit. But clearly you know exactly what you are doing, so I don't really feel qualified to be making any judgements. It's just really impressive. As Lynn said, what talent we have here!
    jsg
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1079
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 14:29:39 (permalink)
    logan86

Very impressive indeed! Enjoyed this a lot, although I would agree with Foxwolfen that it would have been nice to have something to occasionally fill out the bottom end a bit. But clearly you know exactly what you are doing, so I don't really feel qualified to be making any judgements. It's just really impressive. As Lynn said, what talent we have here!

Have the people who say there is a "lack of bottom end" ever considered that listening to music that is out of balance with too much bottom end (as so much recorded music, particularly techno and rap, is today) can cause you to think that music that is tonally balanced won't sound that way to you?     To me, it's like someone who puts 6 teaspoons of sugar in their tea or coffee and then tastes the same with only 1 teaspoon and says "it's not sweet enough!". 

Listen to more fine recordings of classical music, particularly orchestral and chamber music and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.   There are many passages where the basses, cellos, trombones, tuba, bassoons and bass clarinet are not even playing.  These passages are supposed to be light, transparent, and do not require, or use, constant bass to maintain interest. 

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2012/06/17 16:24:59
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 14:34:55 (permalink)
    Exactly.
    jsg

logan86

Have the people who say there is a "lack of bottom end" ever consider that listening to music that is out of balance with too much bottom end (as so much recorded music, particularly techno and rap, is today) can cause you to think that music that is tonally balanced won't sound that way to you?     To me, it's like someone who puts 6 teaspoons of sugar in their tea or coffee and then tastes the same with only 1 teaspoon and says "it's not sweet enough!". 

Listen to more fine recordings of classical music, particularly orchestral and chamber music and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.   There are many passages where the basses, cellos, trombones, tuba, bassoons and bass clarinet are not even playing.  These passages are supposed to be light, transparent, and do not use constant bass to maintain interest. 

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 15:29:02 (permalink)
    There is very little in this that gives away the sound source.  Very pleasant piece well constructed to my ears tonally balanced in both mix and composition. 

Nice

Thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    californiamusic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 19:11:53 (permalink)
    Sounds nice  ; )

Intel i7-4770 -  3.9GHZ DDR3  -  32GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum
    Presonus Studio 192
    Motu 2408 MK3
    Waves v9
    Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilion 
    Novation V-Station, Gladiator, ReFX Nexus, Lounge Lizard, Alchemy

www.soundcloud.com/glenntolliver
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 22:13:17 (permalink)
    Quite impressive!  
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/17 22:49:47 (permalink)
    jsg

logan86

Have the people who say there is a "lack of bottom end" ever considered that listening to music that is out of balance with too much bottom end (as so much recorded music, particularly techno and rap, is today) can cause you to think that music that is tonally balanced won't sound that way to you?     To me, it's like someone who puts 6 teaspoons of sugar in their tea or coffee and then tastes the same with only 1 teaspoon and says "it's not sweet enough!". 

Listen to more fine recordings of classical music, particularly orchestral and chamber music and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.   There are many passages where the basses, cellos, trombones, tuba, bassoons and bass clarinet are not even playing.  These passages are supposed to be light, transparent, and do not require, or use, constant bass to maintain interest. 

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

By "fine recordings" do you mean my extensive collection of deutsche grammophon music on both CD and vinyl such as Liszt, Faure, Rachmaninoff, Bizet and on and on and on? Hell I even have the a nice recording if the Red Army Choir. Those fine recordings? You can disagree with my observation, but please... I am neither stupid nor ignorant.

(edit for typo)
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2012/06/17 22:56:02

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    jsg
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1079
    Re:Symphony #8, 1st movement (9:50) 2012/06/18 15:41:22 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

jsg

logan86

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

By "fine recordings" do you mean my extensive collection of deutsche grammophon music on both CD and vinyl such as Liszt, Faure, Rachmaninoff, Bizet and on and on and on? Hell I even have the a nice recording if the Red Army Choir. Those fine recordings? You can disagree with my observation, but please... I am neither stupid nor ignorant.

(edit for typo)

I didn't call you, imply or even think that you are stupid or ignorant.  You used those words, not me.  I have no idea what kind of monitors you are using to hear music, whether they are balanced or not for the room you are in, I have no idea how your hearing is (how low are you hearing, do you have a notch at 200hz, etc.) so there are all kinds of reasons why you're not hearing enough low end.  I mastered these on Adam S3a speakers and pay close attention to how I want the low end to sound and then verify it with various kinds of metering.   Finally, there is no accounting for subjectivity in taste.  You yourself said you had just listened to a lot of Techno which in itself can explain why your ears are expecting more low end than I prefer in my music.

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2012/06/18 15:43:21
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1