Synth/Lush Strings

Author
HC
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2005/06/06 20:29:11 (permalink)

Synth/Lush Strings

I've recently purchased P5v2. I think the selection of sounds/samples is excellent (Dimension and PSYNII mainly), but I am a bit disappointed with the shortage of synth strings type sounds. There are loads of REAL sounding strings, but I can’t find any of the type that are usually used for dance/ambient/trance type tracks. There are 3 synth strings in the Roland GrooveSynth DXI, but they sound a bit rubbish and nothing like as good as some of the synth strings samples on my old Yamaha SW1000XG sound card.

Could anyone please let me know if I’m missing something, or provide any suggestion as to how to get that sort of sound in PSYNII?

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 20:42:41 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, HC. If the string synth emulations in PSYN II didn't do it for you, I'm not exactly sure what you're after. If you can give me a detailed description of what you're hearing, I can program it for you in PSYN II. You could also try running some 'real' string samples through some effects to 'dirty them down', like the Classic Filter or AliasFactor following a reverb in the FX bin.

You might want to check out the Cheeze Machine [free VST found here] to see if that comes close to what you're looking for. It has the distinctive sound of a 'string machine'-type of synth, which really weren't 'synths' in the proper sense. But they did fill a gap between monophonic synths and their polyphonic descendants that were soon to follow. HTH
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 20:43:06 (permalink)
    Download the Cheese Machine VST

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 20:44:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Welcome to the forum, HC. If the string synth emulations in PSYN II didn't do it for you, I'm not exactly sure what you're after. If you can give me a detailed description of what you're hearing, I can program it for you in PSYN II. You could also try running some 'real' string samples through some effects to 'dirty them down', like the Classic Filter or AliasFactor following a reverb in the FX bin.

You might want to check out the Cheeze Machine [free VST found here] to see if that comes close to what you're looking for. It has the distinctive sound of a 'string machine'-type of synth, which really weren't 'synths' in the proper sense. But they did fill a gap between monophonic synths and their polyphonic descendants that were soon to follow. HTH

Yo, why you baller-blockin' me??

triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 20:48:57 (permalink)
    I biggest problem I have with the dimension string sounds is that there is a delay at the biggining of the sounds. Even if I adjust the attack I can't seem to get them to sound in rythm with the music.

It doesn't seem to be a problem when I combine the string sounds with snyth waveforms. If you mix a string sound with say a triangle or sawtooth waveform I think you can get a very good sounding "pop" string sound.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 21:29:13 (permalink)
    Several string patches in Dimension have the attack assigned to modulation wheel. By moving the modulation wheel or sending CC1, you can make the string set to appear 'earlier'.

All synthesized string-like patches in Dimension are under 'Pads', not under 'Strings'. Make sure you take a good look there, there are -many-.

-René
    HC
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/06 21:56:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the advice!

Seems I've overlooked several of the string like presets in PSYN. Obviously they sound a lot better when you stereo-fy them using reverb FX etc.!

Also "Strings Implant" in the "Pads" section of Dimension is excellent and pretty much what I'm after. Thought I'd gone through them all...Obviously not.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/07 00:13:22 (permalink)
    You might also want to try SYNTH1 (it's FREE). It has some really good 'trance' type string patches and there are gazillion patches floating around the net for this synth (one of my all time favorite plugins, btw).

AND - if you layer some of the cool DIMENSION strings/pads with some of the SYNTH1 pads/strings, you can get some yum-azing sounds imho.

Here's an example of a song I'm working on which might give you a sample of this:

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files/000%29%20Billy%20Arnell%20-%20I%20Didn%27t%20Know%20I%20Would%20Love%20You.mp3

This is just SYNTH1 (some tweaks I did to one of its stringish patches) doing the pads.
    It's also Dimension doing the electric piano.

ORIGINAL: HC

Thanks for all the advice!

Seems I've overlooked several of the string like presets in PSYN. Obviously they sound a lot better when you stereo-fy them using reverb FX etc.!

Also "Strings Implant" in the "Pads" section of Dimension is excellent and pretty much what I'm after. Thought I'd gone through them all...Obviously not.

post edited by ba_midi - 2005/06/07 00:16:42

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/07 22:26:29 (permalink)
    That's a nice song, ba_midi. Very nice.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Synth/Lush Strings 2005/06/07 23:39:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: oroboros

That's a nice song, ba_midi. Very nice.

Thanks

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1