System Restore

Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
2008/05/25 23:34:11 (permalink)

System Restore

Many of us have had to do a system restore due to some unexpected change or update which affected our settings in adverse ways. I have had to do it twice in the last few months. The instructions for using this feature state that no files will be lost of otherwise affected, but that isn't always the case.
I spent the last 10 days working on a doo wop song I wrote a few years back, had the percussion almost done, all the bass and keyboard parts almost ready, then the dreaded 'can't click on links' thing happened again, so I restored to an earlier date, 2 weeks before, and lost the whole project (all MIDI, so far). Some of you may have been able to find it on the HD, but I don't know where to look.
So now, I have learned if I spend a lot of time on a project, I create a restore point so if it happens again, I will have a better point to restore it to. It's easy to create one, just follow the directions.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 

13 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/25 23:54:44 (permalink)
    I've never lost any data when doing a restore...sorry you had to be the one to break that rule.
    Maybe a search for .mid files on your internal drives?
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 07:48:05 (permalink)
    i've never lost data on a restore either. I wonder why it did something different for you this time.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 08:17:16 (permalink)
    You probably didn't loose it...you just haven't found it yet.

What I have done is set up a "work in progress" folder and a "finished songs" folder on an external drive. I have made it a habit of working from there. When I load from that drive and click on save, it backs up to the external HD.

Greg, I have also noticed (cause I have to do the system restore thing every so often too) that things do not come back up like they were. I have lost files from my downloads folder.

A good habit to have is ...BEFORE..you install a new program, make a restore point. That way you have a safety net to rely on.

Number two: when working on a song project in Cakewalk, after doing any major change or capturing the "perfect guitar solo".....BEFORE you do anything else...click on save. It only takes a few seconds (maybe 5 seconds) to do this simple thing that will save your butt if MC glitches....from my experience...it might be Vista issues, but it glitches, and you stand to loose ALL the changes you did since the last save.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 12:36:14 (permalink)
    ^ You're right, Herb, I didn't lose it. I searched the different file types (with help from my brother the programmer) and found it, a .cwp file. I don't understand why it wasn't listed in the SHS 6 'File' menu, but it is now, again.
    Thanks for the tips!

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 15:44:33 (permalink)
    So glad to hear that Greg! There's nothing worse than losing files you worked so hard on. It has happened to me before.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 20:43:42 (permalink)
    That's why it's always a good idea to save your files in a folder that you know where it is.,..... glad you found them.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 21:46:02 (permalink)
    And, umm....I also found the finished 'Suite For Piano And Orchestra' which also disappeared the last time this happened, a few months ago, and some other things, too. I had saved an almost-complete project version of SFPAO on disk, so it wasn't totally lost to me, and the complete audio version on another CD. Now I know a little more about how to find things which are right in front of me.

Greg 

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 22:02:25 (permalink)
    I lost my stuff 3 times in 3 months. I was able to retrieve it in a file called "audio" inside a cakewalk folder. I also had a ton of cakewalk files in "picture cache" inside a cakewalk folder.

I wish you the best of luck as this is quite depleting.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 22:06:09 (permalink)
    Greg, I have my system changes backed up every night to an external USB hard drive. That doesn't mean I am covered. The program that I use if I choose to do so will restore the entire Operating system and everything on my primary hard drive. I don't even use System restore anymore I have it turned off, I've had to many problems using it with other versions of Windows in the past that I feel it takes up too much system usage since I have another backup system.

Although I will tell you this, I made a mistake a few weeks ago where I thought I would try this one tweaking program, well it didn't really work out like it should have I wasn't impressed, anyway I thought what the heck I have everything backed up, so instead of removing the file why not just restore my backup and save a lot of looks at the registry and other things to make sure the program is no longer on the computer. I didn't take into account that the songs I wanted to keep "The Cakewalk Bundle Files" weren't saved yet. I had a couple of mixed down tracks but not the bundle files. I didn't lose 2 songs all together but I lost the bundle files because I didn't take into account the time period where I made them up and took for granted that they were just simpley backed up "A Normal re-action". It was a hard lesson learned.

I feel your pain, everybody probably says well just re-record the thing, but I know how it is to miss a "Moment in time" that you had recorded. That's the part that hurts the most IMO.

Keep on Keepin' on!

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    Beagle
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/26 23:10:07 (permalink)
    at least you didn't loose everything, freeze. lessons learned, huh?

Freeze1st
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/27 18:09:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

at least you didn't loose everything, freeze. lessons learned, huh?

Yeah, your right Beagle, I lost the bundle files but still had the songs already mixed down, in other words I lost individual track control over those two songs and have them each in a wav file. Now I can't control the volume for the instruments individually because they are all one file. Oh well, it was a lesson learned, now I save the Bundle files to my external hard drive as soon as I am done working with them at that time.

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    Beagle
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/27 18:54:31 (permalink)
    yeah, but you should be able to recreate them, right?

Freeze1st
    RE: System Restore 2008/05/27 22:44:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

yeah, but you should be able to recreate them, right?

Yeah I can, but the problem I have nowadays is my lack of practising, I keep making up improvised stuff. Yeah, I can make them up or re-do them again even if I didn't have the tracks and probably 10 times better than the original, but I have this strange feeling like I am looking for something, I know that sounds crazy but I can't seem to find a particular sound or song style that I like for me. It's driving me crazy, I went from Rock to Metal a little country and some Alternative. I'm not looking for patterns in the song progressions or stereo typed songs I'm looking for something else and I just can't seem to get it. I guess the best thing is to not give up.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1