THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT

Author
stumpbroke1
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
2010/07/15 04:12:09 (permalink)

THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT

Ok is it just me or has anyone noticed that at some point you go to do a function in an app, be it sonar, corel, flash...etc...etc
the ui goes white the computer freezes up and you get a little message from windows(windows 7) saying that app has stopped responding, windows will now look for a solution, and it looks....and looks....and looks.... and finally comes back with, windows has encountered a problem with (said program) and caused it to stop responding........W H A T! and I thought the whited out ui meant that the project was finished and ready to burn to cd, send off and wait for royalty check, who would have thought it a CRASH.......Gee Thanks Microsoft. Duh!!!

11 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/15 04:23:12 (permalink)
    Your program has crashed. That is what that means. I would look closely at why. It could be any number of things but if its a lot of very different programs that are crashing then it is a system problem.

Best
    John
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/15 08:31:56 (permalink)
    It means the application is not responding. It could have crashed, but it may also mean you have to wait and see if it clears.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    stumpbroke1
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 02:14:21 (permalink)
    Uh.... Guys...I was being sarcastic, the point was this microsoft feature never finds a solution...
    get it? in other words why does the feature that never works exist.
    Sepheritoh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 02:26:16 (permalink)
    If it is a program specific problem that caused the crash, Microsoft can only report the sollotion if the company who wrote the pogram reports such sollution to them.

I have found in some cases that this windows function you refer to reports a sollution, where a crash was caused by drivers and the updated drivers are available.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 04:26:46 (permalink)
    I find this occasionally happens with my IE browser on my Windows 7  (non DAW) laptop, however if a wait for up to 15 seconds or so it will correct itself. Why this should be happening is the real question however. At this point in the IT industry, stability should be a higher priority than more and more increasingly useless features.

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    randyman
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 13:52:42 (permalink)
    The problem with those 'useless' features is that Microsoft is a marketing machine - driven by well, marketing.  As long as it works for the masses (read as 80% rule), then all is good.

That holds true for most any publicly available software and is the achilles heel of the windows OS.   Anyone can market an application that is supposed to be well behaved and play by the rules, but some writes live by, 'it works for me'.

So many variable, drivers, etc to contend with.   My personal experience is that almost any crash I've had, if I take the time to track it down will almost always be thrid party application driven.

VST, etc. are way up on the crash list - maybe not alone but in the neighborhood playground sandbox a bully will always emerge.

A rack of noisemakers is not a definitive substitute for creativity. (though it does seem to help)

what I spend my lunch time doing:  (don't laugh - its just for fun!) www.soundclick.com/rnewburn

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 14:32:46 (permalink)
    randyman

The problem with those 'useless' features is that Microsoft is a marketing machine - driven by well, marketing.  As long as it works for the masses (read as 80% rule), then all is good.

That holds true for most any publicly available software and is the achilles heel of the windows OS.   Anyone can market an application that is supposed to be well behaved and play by the rules, but some writes live by, 'it works for me'.

So many variable, drivers, etc to contend with.   My personal experience is that almost any crash I've had, if I take the time to track it down will almost always be thrid party application driven.

VST, etc. are way up on the crash list - maybe not alone but in the neighborhood playground sandbox a bully will always emerge.

Microsoft seems like a far less marketing driven machine than say, Apple. So I would guess that the Achilles heel argument should carry over to OSX as well, but not to Linux. Carry the thought through then and it seems that each OS has a different Achilles heel.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 16:07:44 (permalink)
    One of the problems is the myriad of possible hardware combinations.  The "Apple's" say that "mine doesn't do that" but Apple controls both the hardware and most of the software so the Apple's better not do that.  On the other hand Microsoft doesn't make PC hardware and most application software is from sources other than Microsoft.  You have (1) the thousands of possibile hardware configurations for the OS to contend with and (2) The software vendor's applications which may or may not properly interface with the Operating System and also work with the PC's hardware devices. 

I've seen Microsoft come back with a suggested solution such as a new hardware vendor driver is available, but most do nothing.   I have a friend that used to be a graphics programmer for "Printshop".  He got tired of deadlines and having software released with known bugs so he left for a different company. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    saddamnyouall!
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 18:33:47 (permalink)
    I have a quick question for you. Your set up is amazing. I am a newbe to this whole computer audio thing and have a question for you sir. Anyway, I have a dual core E5200, 2.5Gz with 6 gigs of RAM. I have Producer 8.5 and have latency issues when i play a plug in. Is my computer too weak to handle this program? Should I get a new computer? Qaud Core? I7?
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 18:38:46 (permalink)
    People love to blame Microsoft everything that goes wrong. In this case its almost certain that the hang has nothing to do with the OS at all and is most likely a deadlock in some component. A while screen and the not responding message is indicative of that typically. Software these days is complex and there are interactions with many things in a computer system - hardware, drivers, plugins, the host software etc.
    ANY OS is prone to the same problems depending on what you put in it especially if the components were not tested to work together.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    stumpbroke1
    Re:THE WISDOM OF MICROSOFT 2010/07/17 21:04:11 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

randyman

Microsoft seems like a far less marketing driven machine than say, Apple. So I would guess that the Achilles heel argument should carry over to OSX as well, but not to Linux. Carry the thought through then and it seems that each OS has a different Achilles heel.

I couldn't agree more, Apple is the king of marketing schemes, so whats next, lets see i-shoes, i-hats, i-guitars, i-boxers etc....etc, actually I have a pair of the i-boxers, their heat sensitive, when ever they since a blast of hot air it produces a brown streak and in hi-def, very cool.....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1