TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions

Author
fep
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1186
2007/01/06 10:43:34 (permalink)

TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions

Hi,

I'm about to install an M-audio Delta 44 into my Dell Dimension 8400 computer which will replace my SB live soundcard.

I have a Yamaha mx 12/4 mixer that will connect input and outputs to/from the Delta 44. The inputs in the mixer are balanced TRS or XLR inputs. The Delta manual recommends using balanced TRS input/outputs when available.

So my question is, if a cable is TRS is it therefore always balanced?

I can't tell as the product descriptions don't alway say balanced or unbalanced. Take this one for example, if it's balanced I'd like to save money and buy it:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-Dual-TRS-TRS-Patch-Cable?sku=333003

Or do I need to stick with something like this that states it's balanced:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-TRSTRS-Balanced-Patch-Cable?sku=330496

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Frank
post edited by fep - 2007/01/06 11:03:11

7 Replies Related Threads

IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 12:05:41 (permalink)
    Both of those are balanced cables and will be fine for what you want to do.

Some people talk bad about the hosa stuff and there probably right but I have some hosa cables that serve me well.
    As long as you take care of them properly they'll be fine.

Once you hook everything up there really shouldn't be much reason to disconnect,another good reason it will be ok.

Forgot to answer the question,yes TRS is always balanced unless there's TS on the other end.
    post edited by IzovAge - 2007/01/06 12:31:06
    fep
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 12:38:41 (permalink)
    Thanks IzovAge, you've saved me some money.

I have a follow up question for anyone who might know. My plan is to have the four outputs from the Delta 44 running to inputs on channels 1 thru 4 and then have some condensor mics running on other channels while the mixer is supplying phantom power. Could this be a problem for the Delta 44 in that phantom power is being sent thru all of the balanced channels?

The manual for my Yamaha Mx 12/4 mixer says:

"Note: Although it will not cause problems to connect balanced dynamic microphones to line level devices with the phantom power turned on, connecting unbalanced devices or devices for which the center of the transformer is ungrounded may cause hum or malfunction."

I have no idea how to know "if the cernter of the transfrormer is ungrounded" with the TRS running from the Delta 44. Or more importantly could the phantom power damage the Delta 44. I haven't seen anything in the Delta 44 manual warning against it though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 13:33:17 (permalink)
    Frank,

Can you run the Delta 44 outputs to anything else on the mixer? Most mixers will have at least one stereo line level input called 'Tape' or something similar. The problem with your plan is that you have to really stay on top of muting or rerouting the 4 return tracks or you will get instant feedback which may damage something (maybe even your ears). Plus if you can use anything other than regular input channels on the mixer as your 'return' channels, the phantom power problem goes away.

fep
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 14:14:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Kicker,

Channels 1-8 have balanced inputs, channel '9/10' and '10/12' are two stereo channels with unbalanced inputs. I normally use 9/10 as a stereo input from my guitar effects device and 11/12 as a stereo input from my keyboard.

I also have a left and right 'Return' of the effects loop and left and right 'tape in' both of which are unbalanced.

So, I could do as you say but would have to go with the tape in as I'm doing now but would then have to go unbalanced.

I have buttons were I can direct the channels to Group 1-2 or Group 3-4 so I can select Group 3-4 for the Delta returning channels and Group 1-2 for the mics/instruments thereby avoiding the feedback loop. However there are times when I want to record 3 tracks at the same time in which case I would have to redirect the Delta channels thru the monitor bus. So yep, I could slip up and most certainly eventually would slip up and cause a feedback loop.

I've got tradeoffs here and don't have the knowledge to make a good choice. Not sure if I should give up on the balanced cables or not. BTW, it is only about 3 foot cables that I need if that makes a difference between the choice. And the Delta 44 accepts balanced or unbalanced lines, you make that choice in the software.

Still don't know if the mixers' phantom power being directed thru the TRS cable coming from the M Audio Delta 44 creates a problem. If the answer is yes then I definately have my answer and won't go for balanced cables.

Any more help is appreciated.

Frank
    post edited by fep - 2007/01/06 14:37:33
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 15:06:25 (permalink)
    i had hosa TRS cables and ditched them - one got itself ungrounded or something and was causing humming. it never got abused. i ditched it and got mogami instead, which are much better (and cost more of course).

- jack the ex-cynic
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 17:11:09 (permalink)
    I'm definitely not all-knowing about this and maybe someone like ohhey will chime in later but I don't think the phantom power will affect the 1/4 inch inputs.

Can I ask why you want to run all 4 outputs from the delta back to the board?
    Are you using the board to mix?

I think using the 2trk in for reference while recording and then reconnecting would be your best option.But I'm kinda uncertain of what your doing.
    fep
    RE: TRS balanced/unbalanced cable questions 2007/01/06 17:45:08 (permalink)
    Izov, I'm not sure what I'd do with all four but I did have a plan for three.

1 and 2 channels for a stereo mix to monitor with

The third channel to bring a dry guitar signal back to my mixer then thru the effects loop to my Boss GT-3 effects/amp/speaker simulator so I could try different effects from that box while listening to the rest of the mix and then rerecord it wet back into the project.

I supose I could do this by just setting that extra track up when needed. I'm starting to think, as Kicker suggested, I should just monitor with two channels thru the 'tape in' input and then I won't have to worry about the balanced lines and phantom power.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1