TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE.

Author
gabriel32724
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/06/30 23:35:44 (permalink)

TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE.

I AM TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE, I CANT FIND A DECENT DRUM LOOP, OR INTRO, WITH JUST A STEADY BASS LINE IN KEY OF E   4/4 TIME. THIS SHOULD BE EASY, HOW DO I DO IT, JUST USING THE SOFTWARE, IT IS MY OPINION THAT SOFTWARE DOES NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS IT DOES, CREATE MUSIC NOT RAP OR HIP HOP BUT MUSIC.

20 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/06/30 23:50:33 (permalink)
    Well, the software doesn't create music; you'll have to do that. It's really a recording studio.
    Using the Piano Roll view (PRV) or the Staff view you can enter MIDI data in a track, be it drums or bass or organ, using the mouse. So you don't have to have any instruments at all, just your finger to click in notes.
    You will need something to hear the MIDI data being played, though.
    That could be a hardware synthesizer like is in a MIDI keyboard or MIDI sound module, or the synthesizer in your computer sound card, the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. That's not the best choice.
    Your best bet is to use one of the software synthesizers included with MC. You didn't write which version you have, so that could be the Edirol VSC, or TTS-1, or Sound Center. Or DreamStation DXi or Triangle II or Square 1...
    You can also import audio loops or MIDI loops and use those in your songs.
    If you listen to some of the music we post in the Cakewalk Songs forum, you'll hear all types of music, even rap and hip hop, but there's lots of rock, country, even classical and opera. Most of those songs are done in either Music Creator or SONAR, so yes, it can be done.
    I suggest you start by going through the Tutorials in the Help file, and when you encounter a specific problem, you can ask here and we'll try to help.
    Oh, all capital letters in a forum is considered yelling, and puts some people off who might otherwise offer help. No one likes to be yelled at, and we're just users here, not Cakewalk staff.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 08:41:03 (permalink)
    Welcome.... and BTW... take the CAPS LOCK off... 

What MC platform do you have...tell us about the computer you have, what operating system and especially what sound card you are using.

Yes this platform will allow you to write and record music without instruments. As Greg pointed out...using Staff and Piano Roll Views.

You simply insert a synth like Sound Center, then use either of the 2 methods to insert notes with your mouse. No instruments needed. However.....

As Greg also pointed out, this software is designed as a recording studio. It serves it's purpose much better when you can actually play an instrument. Most of us here do play at least one instrument...but there are several here that do not. Collaboration plays a large part of what they do.

Question: What musical ability do you have? Play an instrument, sing, write....?

If you play nothing and are looking for software to help you compose.... I would suggest you look at a program called Band In A Box. www.pgmusic.com  It might be exactly what you're looking for. I think you can download a limited demo version to see how it works. I have it and use it quite a bit to compose, and to create tracks for use IN MC4. (listen to my tunes... most have BB in them to one degree or another) It is nothing short of amazing. With it you can write about anything and don't need to be able to play an instrument. All the songs on my soundclick opening page were BB creations in one way or another except March to Tobith Ray-Al.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/01 08:42:59

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 11:14:52 (permalink)
    Simply google acidized loops blues and you will find a lot of stuff. It will take time to weed through it, but worth the effort. in a short time i found these:

http://www.dooleydrums.com/free_drum_loops.php

http://smokinloops.com/

http://www.drumsondemand.com/content/blues-drum-loops

http://www.platinumloops.com/detail.php?prod_id=61&cat_id=84&order=name&page=1

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 11:36:25 (permalink)
    ^loopy

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 13:59:22 (permalink)
    yeah... if the loops are free... even better.... BB ain't free....or cheap.

Beagle told me about an upgrade to BB... only $99 more....... do you know how tempting that is....?
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/01 14:00:47

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 14:05:40 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

yeah... if the loops are free... even better.... BB ain't free....or cheap.

Beagle told me about an upgrade to BB... only $99 more....... do you know how tempting that is....?

very tempting...I have my itchy trigger finger just beggin' to pull the trigger on it...

but I haven't yet.

Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 14:29:04 (permalink)
    some nice stuff there..... no doubt.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 15:58:32 (permalink)
    So far i have not even tapped the 2010 version so with 2010.5 free and $99 for the RT upgrade i think i will wait for the 2011 upgrade and go for it all then.

Music Town
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/01 22:32:46 (permalink)
    Simple blues line using the software, Studio Instruments (and one guitar).
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5511094
    As mentioned above, the software is a tool for YOU to create music, not to create it for you.
    If you don't like the included loops, you can create your own.
    Once you get familiar with it, it's really pretty easy.
    What confuses me about the original question is that blues has a very simple structure, and it gets life from execution and inflection of playing it. I don't really understand why you would want the machine to do that for you.
    Maybe I'm just missing the point?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 08:16:09 (permalink)
    Robomusic

So far i have not even tapped the 2010 version so with 2010.5 free and $99 for the RT upgrade i think i will wait for the 2011 upgrade and go for it all then.

my thoughts too.... a few more months and 11 will be out.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 08:18:03 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Robomusic

my thoughts too.... a few more months and 11 will be out.

yes, but it will be more than $99 to upgrade from 2010 to 2011.  I don't remember the price I paid last time, but it was more than $99.  $179 maybe?

Robomusic
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 11:15:44 (permalink)
    But if you upgrade now and then what will the overall price be?

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 11:22:26 (permalink)
    maybe.... I'll risk it..since what I have now is working well for me.... and in the 2011 version they will probably have added another 100 or so RT's so I'll add over 200 new and exciting RT's.... maybe....

where does all the madness end?

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 11:26:04 (permalink)
    Robomusic

But if you upgrade now and then what will the overall price be?

I don't remember that either, but I'm thinking maybe another $99 for a total of $198 which would be more than the upgrade from 2010 to 2011 if I am remembering the upgrade price correctly - which I'm not sure I am.  it might have been more than that.

I think I've decided to pass on it as well.  I may have to buy a new piano soundfont for my "go to" piano because I can't get Gigapiano to port over to kontakt.

Robomusic
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 11:48:00 (permalink)
    I am waiting for the upgrade that addresses the VSTi issue where jamstix works fully then i might stand pat at that point for a while. So far the software does far more than i will ever need.

Music Town
    Robomusic
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 11:55:54 (permalink)
    I am absolutely loving some of the piano samples in the new sampletank expansion tank group buy i did. there are a couple grands that are sooo sweet.

I have reworked my live sets with ST and i can't beleive the difference. one sample i love is the hofner beatle bass, and the martin 6 accoustic, the Kawai baby grand, and a couple of the vocal Ohhs and Ahhs are real useful. I found a sweet 12 string guitar, and a jinglely rickenbacker 12 for older 60 stuff like tamborine man. it also has a nice set of strings and stringed instruments, something i did not have before.

I love the RTs but there are times they do not fit, or it takes so much work to make them fit, that i revert back to midi tracks and do the processing better. AS time goes no i will learn RTs better.

I redid my everly bros "dream" the other night and laid down the backing vocal tracks, and it came out pretty useable.  i sang two other parts and let ST do a Ohh Ahh behind that. Very sweet. One trick I found on the Ohhs and Ahhs stuff is to clone the strings track, as it is fairly flat just a harmony of the chord, and let that push the sample vocal sound.

Music Town
    Beagle
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 12:00:57 (permalink)
    I agree that sometimes the real tracks don't fit and I often revert back to MIDI for those instruemnts.

glad you're liking the ST stuff.  I've got a few of the ST expansion packs but I don't have the full ST version (the ST expansion packs work with STLE that comes with them).  but I've never like ST that much and I went with kontakt for several reasons.  one of which is the idea that it will import my GS3 samples, but alas it's not perfect and it can't import GPII so I'm left in the dust and have to find another piano.

Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 12:37:02 (permalink)
    I like the piano in the K6 collection.... I forget the name... it's a German name...  it sounds good. I don't often use a piano with me playing it.... BB does my piano tracks and those samples sound pretty good... Or I have JW playing using Ivory.

The last BB/RT upgrade was $149 from the version I had... as far as you could go  before having the 160G self contained drive.... that was the cost to move to the top of the pile.

My guess... Between $125 to $150 to move to 11 from 10.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 12:40:16 (permalink)
    Beagle

I agree that sometimes the real tracks don't fit and I often revert back to MIDI for those instruemnts.

Yeah... at times I have to have RB render the tracks several times to get a good one, and sometimes I just give up and go in a different direction..... another thing is to have 2 instruments and use envelopes to pick and choose the better parts in the tracks....  listen to my jazz tunes for examples of this at work.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    Re:TRYING TO DO A SIMPLE BLUES LINE USING NOT INSTRUMENTS JUST THE SOFTWARE CAN IT BE DONE 2010/07/02 14:01:30 (permalink)
    Yeah we have to remember to slow down and work through things. We live in an immediate gratification world.

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1