TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/24 09:00:56 (permalink)
1. Never said TTS1 does not have banks. I know it has banks, even if I don't have it, because it supports GM2, and GM2 uses banks. It would be silly to escalate up from GM, which uses no banks, while every one else was above GM, using banks. Actually banks are allowed since GM1.
Well, I'm confused.  I quoted you directly in my response there.  you said that TTS-1 didn't have "match to bank".  can you explain what you mean by that because obviously I didn't understand.

2. The max number of Banks for GM2 is 256 (not 16,000+ as you say), and that's because they fix the value of the MSB and vary ONLY the LSB. Don't forget that one byte can hold a maximum value of 256. The number of Program#'s is still 128, though for compatibility with GM and others.
I realize that wikipedia is not a perfect source, but that's where I got my MIDI bank information from.  if it's incorrect, then I apologize.  here's the reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_midi
scroll down to General MIDI Level 2 and it's one of the bullet points.
also, most of the bank notations I've seen have bank numbers in the upper 16k available including TTS-1.  It's highest bank number is 15497.

3. Where you say you don't understand where I stated that Patch#1 of GM2 only has like 3 pianos or so, it means THAT's what GM2 DEFINES as GM2 compliant for that patch#. You surely don't suppose that if to be GM2 compliant a module maker had to have all possible voices. It'd be impossible. So they have DEFINED a certain minimum AS THE STANDARD, similar to what they did in earlier standards. And I also will mention that the MAXIMUM number of voices for the GM2 standard is not 16384 banks with 128 voices, as you say, but it is 256*128 which is 32,768 total voices. Again, 256 is the Maximum number that the LSB can represent.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I still do not understand what you mean here.  what I'm not following is that a particular patch, for your example patch #1 has 3 pianos.  I'm not understanding that at all.  each patch has 1 sound, so patch #1 has 1 piano, I don't understand how it has 3.

each bank is defined as the same 128 sounds types but can be varied by the manufacturer.
"Up to 16384 variation banks are allowed, each containing a version of the 128 Melodic Sounds (the exact use of these banks is up to the individual manufacturer.) "

What I do know is that there are several ways of CHANGING BANKS, and that in those products of PG Music, you HAVE TO SPECIFY which Bank-Changing method to use.
Ah, so how do you change the way BIAB/RB changes banks? 

Sonar is also like that. Most likely that's the problem, and that's why I said to check the MSB and LSB values of the file.
It is?  where do you check the MSB & LSB values?

Beagle, I make every effort not to take things personally, nor make them. I am a technical person by profession, and I focus on the facts and in helping solve problems. I am in this forum more than that, looking for help on using Sonar and to learn from the experiences shared here. So, for me no apology is needed, since so far no offense is taken. I trust that this is a reciprocal attitude here.
Good, I'm glad to hear that.  As you might be able to tell, I'm also a very technical person, I'm an EE by profession.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/24 22:50:10 (permalink)
Beagle,

"does not have a match to a bank" does not mean that it does not use banks. Simply that it has no matching kit or voice for that bank and patch call. Jut lke GM and the rest do. When they don't match they use what voice they have, and sometimes it does not sound right.

Regardless of what the Wikipedia says or not, for this case the bank number is the LSB and the maximum value that a Byte can hold is 256 because the MSB is FIXED by agreement, on DrumKits, and Voices, and Effects...For ages it's been that way for most makers, Yamaha is a notable exception but can still be GM-2 compatible, because they defined the GM-2 with all that was out there in consideration, and a minimum of re-do.

Yeah, Patch#1 is a piano, but that's on GM. Beyond that, the BankNumber makes it another (Piano-preferably) voice. And GM2 has like only 3 standard banks specified for that Patch#1 (But more are available beyond the standard list, of course). I don't see why that is a big concern or what is difficult to understand, that THAT is the standard that they agreed to define. Beyond that, others can put more banks, and still be called "standard" or "downwards-compatible".

How one changes Banks depends on what sound module one is addressing. Typically, though CC-0 is the MSB and CC-32 is the LSB.

If I am using an XG module, then MSB varies. For GM2 CC-0 has a value, but it is fixed, on whether you are calling Drums or voices, or effects. You can put other values that are not defined in the standards, by values I mean "agreed upon" for practical purposes.

For further clarification, of what I mean, in Sonar, open any MIDI track, Track Properties, and You will there see a Bank Select Method window.

That window shows 4 ways: Normal, CC-0, CC-32, and Patch-100.  BBX is practically the same. This options are used depending on which Sound module is being used, as said. 

Beagle, in the standard, when they say "up to those many variations are ALLOWED", it does not mean that more don't fit.

It's just that the standard, for certain practical reasons, limits by specification, but not by system capability. So that means that a maker of sound-modules can have more and still be complaint by being downwards compatible. I feel this is what seems to be the source of this rather needless discussion.

Well, I tried to clarify as asked, if it matters at all, even though I don't think it does.

Also, Beagle, thank you for trying to understand me; which I yet can't do. Ohm's law is trivial by comparison.

The best of all to you.

Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/25 08:10:34 (permalink)

"does not have a match to a bank" does not mean that it does not use banks. Simply that it has no matching kit or voice for that bank and patch call. Jut lke GM and the rest do. When they don't match they use what voice they have, and sometimes it does not sound right.
I think I finally understand what you're saying here and it's simply a matter of miscommunication.  you're talking about patches in the other banks that are not defined.
in TTS-1, if the patches are not specifically defined, they default to a PIANO 1 sound in all of the available banks. 

Regardless of what the Wikipedia says or not, for this case the bank number is the LSB and the maximum value that a Byte can hold is 256 because the MSB is FIXED by agreement, on DrumKits, and Voices, and Effects...For ages it's been that way for most makers, Yamaha is a notable exception but can still be GM-2 compatible, because they defined the GM-2 with all that was out there in consideration, and a minimum of re-do.

I have not read the actual MIDI spec, so I will take your word for it regarding the number of banks available.  wiki is not always correct, I know that.  side note:  yamaha is XG, not GM, that's why it's an exception.

Yeah, Patch#1 is a piano, but that's on GM. Beyond that, the BankNumber makes it another (Piano-preferably) voice. And GM2 has like only 3 standard banks specified for that Patch#1 (But more are available beyond the standard list, of course). I don't see why that is a big concern or what is difficult to understand, that THAT is the standard that they agreed to define. Beyond that, others can put more banks, and still be called "standard" or "downwards-compatible".

this is where we were miscommunicating also.  I agree that for all non-assigned patches in particular banks they will play a patch that you are not expecting.  in the case of TTS-1 they will play piano 1 because that's what it defaults to when the patch is not defined.

How one changes Banks depends on what sound module one is addressing. Typically, though CC-0 is the MSB and CC-32 is the LSB.

If I am using an XG module, then MSB varies. For GM2 CC-0 has a value, but it is fixed, on whether you are calling Drums or voices, or effects. You can put other values that are not defined in the standards, by values I mean "agreed upon" for practical purposes.
For further clarification, of what I mean, in Sonar, open any MIDI track, Track Properties, and You will there see a Bank Select Method window.

I've never used CC-0 or CC-32 to change banks.  as you say in sonar you use the bank selection from the MIDI track's properties.  however, you don't choose MSB or LSB values, you simply choose a bank selection that is read from the softsynth (or defined by the hardware synth's INS DEF file) to determine what bank you're choosing.

I feel this is what seems to be the source of this rather needless discussion.

Well.  not sure why you feel it's needless.  if you feel it's needless then stop posting.  I was OK with our discussion until you posted this. Now you've posted this and I feel like you're saying that it's beneath you to discuss this.  sorry to waste your time.  have a good day.
post edited by Beagle - 2010/01/25 08:38:28

NoKey
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/25 20:10:26 (permalink)
Beagle, I mean needless in the sense that the the problem is already solved, yet we were discussing things.

When we make the choice to discuss, we do it, and I do see it as a due and need to clarify each other, out of respect, and not in the sense of the "value" of the effort. But I do value your effort and patience, more than mine even, and thank you for being a big helper in this forum. I don't like dogma, though, and shoot me if I bring any, for I have long realized that there are no complete truths.

Another way that I see it as useless is due to my difficulty in having to say so much in order to say what I should.

For instance, if I had said "Regardless of what the MIDI organization says, or the Wikipedia says, make sure to read the Voices List of the Sound-Module you are using, and how it wants Banks selected, and voices; and even its MIDI Implementation Chart. When sound modules say they 'support' GM2, or similar standards, it does not necessarily mean that they are 100%  compliant in total due to practical reasons such as cost, resources, and needs of most users."

I also know that solutions often come from where one is not searching, but it is the searching that opens the eyes.

So, thanks for opening my eyes too.

Steve Cox [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/26 07:05:37 (permalink)
traphillman

No,  I have not received a response.   I sent in the request for help and the customer ID and reference number were automatically assigned at that time - but I have not gotten a response or even a confirmation that they received the msg.

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you got to the bottom of your issue. And thanks to everyone for the thorough investigation.

In regards to the ticket sent above, it looks like this issue was sent via the Problem Reporter. Although this is the best way to submit reproducible Cakewalk issues for further investigation, it will not put you in touch with an actual human. In fact, we make you check a box at the bottom of the form agreeing that this will not put you in touch with Tech Support. If you are ever in need of tech support, use the Email Support Form instead.

Thanks again,

Steve Cox
Technical Support
Cakewalk

Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/26 08:06:24 (permalink)
Nokey - no hard feelings.

Steve- thanks for the report on that.  we'll try to steer guys in the right direction on that in the future.  There was no way we could have known he used the wrong form, but we can ask in the future.

traphillman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/28 12:32:17 (permalink)
Hi NoKey,

When you say a bank change in a channel remains in effect until there is another bank change, do you mean for the duration of that song/midi file, or will that bank change affect the next song/file too - unless it is changed?

If it affects the same channel on subsequently played files I assume I should be sure that every channel that has a bank change also has a reset of the MSB and LSB at the end of the file - correct?

Or will a CC121: 0 reset serve the purpose?

Thank you for your help!  Scott
NoKey
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 07:14:41 (permalink)
traphillman

Hi NoKey,

When you say a bank change in a channel remains in effect until there is another bank change, do you mean for the duration of that song/midi file, or will that bank change affect the next song/file too - unless it is changed?

If it affects the same channel on subsequently played files I assume I should be sure that every channel that has a bank change also has a reset of the MSB and LSB at the end of the file - correct?

Or will a CC121: 0 reset serve the purpose?

Thank you for your help!  Scott

Hi Scott,

Remember that MIDI itself handles no memory, meaning it has no knowledge of the STATE of the device it is playing.

So, bank changes transmitted to the device take place at THAT time and so a bank change will take place only when a bank-change call is sent and is kept as part of the current STATE of the sound device.

Also, as discussed, a bank change can be established by the MSB or/and the LSB..So if one sends a MSB change with the controller for that purpose (usually CC-0), the current bank to use is changed, even if one does not change the LSB. Ditto for LSB, where LSB is in many synths the actual "bank changer" via the CC-32

The key to grasp these things I believe is the word 'state', which is akin to what is currently applies.

Now, CC-121 is "Reset al controllers", and that is used to put the Synth in a "default sate". Now, what is that default state? It DEPENDS on the synth maker..MIDI standard does not say exactly what it should be..It might put it to the Bank-0 or GM mode, or to GS, or to XG (just to say something) as far as bank to make current. It will also reset all other effects to that chosen state, INCLUDING volumes, so if one sends a cc-121 one may end up with music up to the HIGHEST volume..Nasty thing if performing, or is using headphones. CC-121 APPLIES to all channels of the Synth. You can't even count on saying that it will put X voice on X channel, because I have never seen that done...It would be nice if Reset all controllers would put NO-VOICE in each channel, but UNFORTUNATELY, MIDI, I don't beleive, still specifies a NULL voice (Which I've always believed is lacking). But since the beginning MIDI wanted to waste no available patch, for everything was so limitted in those times of the birth of GM.

However, I think the most important issue is that no matter WHERE or when you send the cc-121, if there are bank changes to follow, they WILL take place.

So reset all controllers is something you might want to do when starting, but it is my limitted experience, that MIDI files do their own SETTING of controllers to whatever the midi file composer or maker wants..Because he has to have control of loudness, panning, reverb, and so on. It's part of his composition. They often also set the instruments on each channel right at the beginning of a file..This means that most files keep the same instrument and bank change as established in the beginning...But they can and do other things later, down the song.

Reset all controllores usually is the same as the Panic Button on some keyboards (and softwares too)..But, again, HOW the synths respond to the cc-121 is SPECIFIC to a synth.

Also, keep in mind that most midi files probably don't use banks, because they know and wish them to sound OK on most instruments, meaning they are actually using the GM standard...Most MIDI files use GM, so bank changes are not there.

If you have decided to use patch changes in midi files of others, then guide yourself by the STATE in which your MIDI file is during the song, and how it leaves the song. You'd have to check if reset all controllers does set the bank to bank-0 or what.. It might not. Even some module MIGHT not implement the cc-121, and still say they "support" a particular standard.

And yes, if it's a questionable way, cc-121 can help..But when and how you will send it that could create other issues, or your Q's could have other answers.. For instance, we don't know if you also use pushbuttons on a keyboard to send messages..That'd be another factor that could affect banks/voices..But still all MIDI is in a sequential way..Whatever comes along, that's what takes place and remains as a state till, changed by some next message.

I am a real-time player, and so I do these things with buttons..But I have noticed that Sonar DOES have an option somewhere (Project or Global), I forgot where you can opt to have Sonar RESET ALL controllers (cc-121) every time a song ends..If you are using Sonar, see how that is checked. You might want it one way or the other.

If you don't really need bank changes, clean up bank changes as you did, and do them only on the voices that you really feel you have to.

Otherwise, I will say that using banks is A LOT of work..In my case I have to use them, and when I program the buttons for voices, it is a task of its own, specially with this A-33 keyboard that is designed specially for performance. That's another story though. But I would even say that it'd be harder if I had to do it in MIDI files. That's because I switch voices during a song, and I use various sound modules simultaneously.

As an aside, when I record the MIDI in sonar, it records every thing perfectly in MIDI tracks. And it plays them back also OK..BUT, my MIDI file, no way would be compatible any other place, because it needs specifically the sound modules I trigger, and how they are set up.

I dared to mention extra things just in case they may mean something to you and help resolving, and see that a MIDI file CAN get to be very SPECIFIC to a setup. And I hope those extra stories don't un-help you.

Best of all.

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 11:15:52 (permalink)
Thanks, NoKey. 

You, and Beagle, and the others on this forum are teaching me a lot.  I do not use a keyboard controller so my problems are not as complex as they might be.  I have Band in a Box, Real Band.  My two soft synths, TTS-1, and ForteDXi 1.6, are both GM 2.  And my external sound module, Edirol SD-20, recognizes GS, GM2, and XGLite - as I understand the manual.  I do not use Sonar or anything as sophisticated as that.

I have a couple of more questions that you or the other great people on this forum might help me with when you have time.

First, I have been learning to process the midi sounds in my large midi play list through the TTS-1 in my Real Band sequencer.  I then run the sound from the headphones jack to the mixer and get a very intense, good sound through my stage speakers.

I know sound quality is largely subjective, but I wonder if the TTS soft synth sounds (or soft synth sounds in general) sent through the headphones jack sound as good to the audience as the sounds I get when I send the midi signal out throught the USB connection (when I can't use the soft synth sounds in Real Band) to the external hardware SD-20 sound module. 

I like both sounds, but, to my ear the TTS sound seems more realistic.  Do any of you have opinions you would share with me on the issue of the comparative sound quality of external modules like the SD-20 and the soft synth sounds run out of the headphone jack?

Second, I have been told that a good interface (I just ordered an Edirol UA-25EX) is also a professional grade sound card.  That leads me to a number of questions.

Can I play my files out through the USB connection into the interface and then directly into my mixer (i.e., not using the SD-20 external sound module) via one of the interface's "outs" and get a professional quality sound comperable to, or better than, the SD-20 sounds?

And, can I play the TTS out through the headphones jack into the interface and then into the mixer and retain, or improve upon, the TTS's sounds using this routing?

I just am trying to get the best back-up sounds I can get, as simply as possible.

Obiously, I have never used an interface.  I also have never used a soft synth to produce sounds on stage.  I have never produced a CD of my music, but I am trying to learn what I must in order to do that because people keep asking me if I have any for sale.  I used to sell tapes - but I hated the quality and stopped making them.

I know my questions must sound very elementary to professionals like the people who follow this forum.  I apoligize for that.  But I assure you all that I read your advice very carefully and try to learn from it as quickly as I can - given the fact that the processing speed of this ol' brain has slowed a bit with the years.

I appreciate all the input I have received and thank each of you again!

Scott

Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 12:03:33 (permalink)
I've not used or directly heard the SD20 (Edirol, I'm assuming).  I would think that it would sound better than the TTS-1, if it didn't I'd be complaining to Edirol about it because it costs 10X or more than the TTS-1 does!

you can play it like you're talking about, tho thru the UA-25EX and out to the mixer - that will work just fine.

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 12:56:13 (permalink)
I know my questions must sound very elementary to professionals like the people who follow this forum. I apoligize for that.

This is the elementary forum, being that MC is the most basic sequencer Cakewalk sells. No need to apologize. I learn stuff here almost every day.
While all this MIDI info you, NoKey and Beagle are discussing is interesting and informative, I'll probably never need to know it, and don't know enough about controllers. etc., to add anything, so I've kept my mouse shut on that subject.
But when your UA-25 arrives, you should use that exclusively for all your sounds, otherwise you'll be using 2 sound cards (interfaces) which can sometimes cause problems. And if you use ASIO drivers for the UA, you'll only be able to use one interface at a time anyway.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 14:19:41 (permalink)
Thanks Beagle, Greg!

The UA-25EX just arrived and I am going to try it out as soon as I can download the Windows 7 driver for it.

It makes me a little sad that I have been spending all this time working on the TTS-1 sound issues when it seems that the Edirol SD-20 that I have had and liked for two years probably makes better sounds for my live performance needs.

And now, I guess I will find that I can use the UA-25EX, without the SD-20 in the loop, and get sounds that are at least as good and maybe better for live performances while also having a new tool to use to make CD's (eventually - if I can figure out how to do that).  Ha!  It's kind of like realizing that you should have stuck with your first girl friend.

Ha!  Please tell me if I am going astray here!   Thanks.

Scott
Robomusic
  • Total Posts : 8943
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 18:10:52 (permalink)
Any good hardware synth has some life performance advantages. Simple put it takes the load off the computer. The SD-20 is similar in sound to TTS, but probably a tad better, but TTS is more programable. a simple laptop and synth mod can be a very easy way to play music. Add some Real Tracks and such and you have a very powerful setup.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
Music Town
traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 19:33:29 (permalink)
First I want to retract part of what I said in the last msg.  I am not sorry I spent all that time learning how to use the TTS-1 properly.  And I see the advantages Robomusic refers to in using the TTS.  And I really hope I can get to producing some new music soon adding some Real Tracks to a midi file I make up in BIAB and Real Band.

Now, I am afraid I have to show my ignorance - again.  I received the UA-25EX and got the drivers installed on my Window 7 64-bit.

It appears that I wrongly believed that the UA-25EX would act as a sound module for midi signals (like the SD-20 does).  As near as I can tell it does not. 

When I heard the UA-25EX was a "professional quality sound card" I thought that meant that, among other things an interface does,  it converts midi signals into sound.  It does not seem to do that.  Is it supposed to convert midi signals into sound like an external sound module?

I could not hear or monitor strictly midi signals from the headphones jack on the UA-25EX when I played a strictly midi file through Real Band. 

However, when I used the TTS in Real Band I could monitor the resulting sound from the headphones jack in the UA-25EX (but only when I had the audio output in Real Band set to MME - not audio - and the TTS-1 enabled.  I have to believe these were sounds made by the TTS and not by the interface. 

So I now assume that the audio sounds (like those produced by the TTS, by Real Tracks, and through the microphone or guitar input jacks on the front of the UA-25EX) can be monitored via the UA-25EX headphones jack but not the midi sounds.

I also now assume that when I play a midi file through the UA-25EX I have to connect the midi "out" on the back of the UA-25EX to the midi "in" on the back of the SD-20 sound module and run the output from the sound module to a mixer channel to get the midi instrument sounds.  Elementary, Watson?

Now, if I have a file with both midi tracks and Real Tracks how do I set up the audio and midi "out's" in Real Band to get both kinds of signals through the interface? 

Is this why you have to "render" the files to wave - to get both types of sounds into the same form?   And, if that is the case, it seems I don't even need a midi sound module to play that kind of file - because it is all audio.  Right?

Of course I have not rendered anything yet.  Ha!  So much to learn!  This is really a great learning experience.  I'm not sure what I would do without all the help you guys are giving me!

On the other hand, I am beginning to feel like I am wasting an awful lot of your time due to my level of ignorance!  Sorry!  But thank you very much for your help - again.  Maybe, if I live long enough, I will be able to pass on what I learned to someone else and, in that way, sort of repay some of my debt to you all!

Scott
Robomusic
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 19:51:00 (permalink)
The interface you purchased is a sound card, but not a sound module. It will play the sounds coming from RB both the midi and audio, as long as the midi has a synth before it's output like TTS. However if you want to use the SD 20 sounds for midi instead of TTs you need to route the midi out to the midi in on the SD 20 and then plug the audio output of the Sd 20 to either the PA or the line in on the interface.. I would go to the PA for live performance, and back to the interface for recording.

Music Town
57Gregy
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/29 22:17:55 (permalink)
I hope no one here gave you the impression that there was a synthesizer in your interface... I scanned the thread and didn't see any mention of that.
But, yeah, these new-fangled audio devices don't have any MIDI synthesizers in them like Sound Blaster, SoundMax, Sigmatel and RealTek sound cards do. It's not too late to return it, if that was your expectation, but it will give you much better audio performance than any onboard sound card will with your soft synths and the sound module, too, if you plug that in.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 06:09:30 (permalink)
Thanks Greg and Rob.

It is 4 AM and I had to get up because I began thinking about all I have to learn.  Your msgs confirm what I thought.

No one on this forum gave me the impression that the interface was a sound module and I did not mean to imply that. 

I think I just assumed wrongly that since an interface was a professional grade sound card it would produce sound - since I also read that my SD-20 sound module was described as a professional level sound card.  I remain behind the learning curve - but I am slowly gaining on it.

Greg, I accept the notion that the interface will improve the quality of live performance sound and (when I learn how to do it) the quality of my recorded sound.  So I do not want to send it back.  Ha!  Besides, I hate taking things back - makes me feel guilty of bad judgment and pushing the cost of that bad judgment off onto the merchant.

So, I think the next two steps I have to take are to find out what drivers I have to select in my Real Band sequencer to run files that contain both audio (real tracks) and midi through the interface 1) during live performances and 2) during recording sessions when I want to make a CD.

I am rereading the Band in a Box manual, but I can't find where it addresses my precise concerns about driving midi and audio at the same time.

I assume I should select the interface drivers in both audio and midi when I am using the TTS and not the SD 20 to play the midi sounds.  I think that is the set-up I had selected last night when I could monitor the TTS sounds from the interface headphone jack.  Does that sound right?

But to use the SD-20 sounds for my midi, or on files that have midi tracks and also have audio tracks (i.e., BIAB Real Tracks - or some other type of audio) do I have to make some other midi driver selection?

If I run the midi out on the interface into the SD-20 midi in will the Real Band sequencer recognize that the SD-20 is on line and even give me the option of selecting that as the midi driver output?  If it does not recognize it and give me that option then what do I do?

I suppose it is possible that no one here has used such a set-up or would know the answer to those questions and I will have to just try it.  If it doesn't work I suppose the next step is to talk to the PG Music Tech Staff - again.  Those people seem to have as much patience with me as you all have displayed!  Amazing!

Well, if anyone has some advice on these new questions I will certainly appreciate it.  If not I will harass those paid advice providers at PG Music if I can't figure it out via trial and error.  Ha!

Thank you all again.  You are great!  Scott
Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 10:25:01 (permalink)
I think I just assumed wrongly that since an interface was a professional grade sound card it would produce sound - since I also read that my SD-20 sound module was described as a professional level sound card.  I remain behind the learning curve - but I am slowly gaining on it.

just to help clarify a little more, "professional grade soundcards" don't include embedded synths in them.  the professional grade and the "prosumer grade" (which is what the UA-25EX actually is) expect the user to have hardware or software synths separate and do not normally include an embedded synth (there are a few exceptions, but those are very few).

I am rereading the Band in a Box manual, but I can't find where it addresses my precise concerns about driving midi and audio at the same time.

what concerns are they?  I'm missing what you are having a problem with.  in BIAB/RB you have 2 separate menu options for audio and MIDI.  is that what you're talking about?  for MIDI, go to OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>MIDI DRIVER and that's where you select TTS-1 as the output for MIDI.  I'm pretty sure you've already done that, tho.
for AUDIO, OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>AUDIO and you can select the AUDIO DRIVER TYPE of either MME or ASIO.  your UA-25EX will probably work fine with ASIO, but you'll have to check and see.

I assume I should select the interface drivers in both audio and midi when I am using the TTS and not the SD 20 to play the midi sounds.  I think that is the set-up I had selected last night when I could monitor the TTS sounds from the interface headphone jack.  Does that sound right?
no, if you want sound from TTS-1, you select TTS-1 in the MIDI drivers section, the UA-25EX's MIDI selection is ONLY for a hardware synth that you have connected to the UA-25EX's MIDI ports.  if you don't have a keyboard connected to the UA-25EX, then you don't want to select it for MIDI.

But to use the SD-20 sounds for my midi, or on files that have midi tracks and also have audio tracks (i.e., BIAB Real Tracks - or some other type of audio) do I have to make some other midi driver selection?
YES, if you want to use the SD-20 for output instead of TTS-1, then you need to choose the SD-20 from the drop down list in the OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>MIDI DRIVER>SYNTHSIZER/SOUNDCARD list.  then you select the MIDI OUTPUT DRIVER for either the SD-20 (if you have it connected thru USB and it's available to select), or you select the UA-25EX if you have the SD-20 hooked up to the UA-25EX MIDI PORTS.  so, that depends on how you have the SD-20 connected. 

If I run the midi out on the interface into the SD-20 midi in will the Real Band sequencer recognize that the SD-20 is on line and even give me the option of selecting that as the midi driver output?  If it does not recognize it and give me that option then what do I do?

see above - same answer.

good luck.

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 11:48:52 (permalink)
Thanks Beagle.

I have not gone down into our very cold basement today to try to experiment.  We were snowed in last night for the second time this year!  It is supposed to be between 12 and 18 degrees tonight.

Soon I will hook up the interface to the computer and its Audio Out to my mixer, and plug the Midi "In" on the SD-20 into the Midi "Out" on the interface and turn it all on.

Then I can go to Real Band and probably select the interface as  the Audio Out driver and, hopefully, I will then be presented with the option of selecting the SD-20 for the Midi Out driver (with no TTS selection) and play a file containing both midi and audio tracks.  Right?

Now what do I have to do to record all this sound in the computer to make a CD?  Is the USB connection automatically returning the full compliment of voice, guitar, midi track and audio track signals going into the interface back to the computer software?  There is no place on the interface to plug in any output from the mixer.

Did I tell you that I have lived in several places in Texas, including Mineral Wells?  When I was there I used to drive into Fort Worth on Sundays to go to church.

Thank you!  Scott
Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 12:25:29 (permalink)
Then I can go to Real Band and probably select the interface as  the Audio Out driver and, hopefully, I will then be presented with the option of selecting the SD-20 for the Midi Out driver (with no TTS selection) and play a file containing both midi and audio tracks.  Right?

almost - select the SD-20 as the SYNTHESIZER/SOUNDCARD in the MIDI DRIVERS, but select the UA-25EX as the MIDI OUTPUT DRIVER.

Now what do I have to do to record all this sound in the computer to make a CD?  Is the USB connection automatically returning the full compliment of voice, guitar, midi track and audio track signals going into the interface back to the computer software?  There is no place on the interface to plug in any output from the mixer.
I don't know enough about the SD-20 to know if the USB connection will do anyting for you to be able to record directly or not.  what I'd probably do , if for no other reason to avoid confusion, would be to send the AUDIO output of the SD-20 to the AUDIO INPUTS of the UA-25EX and record the output onto an AUDIO track.

no, I don't remember you saying you lived in Mineral wells, my mom & sister used to live there, too.  where did you go to church in Ft. Worth?

57Gregy
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 12:37:18 (permalink)
In order to burn a CD with the computer, all the sound sources have to be in the computer, so if you're using the sound module for some of the instruments, you would have to connect the module's audio line out to the UA's line in and record that on a track in MC. Once all the MIDI is audioized, you will need a stereo mixdown of the whole, complete project.
I like to keep everything in the same project file, so I generally select all the tracks I want in the song by clicking on them while holding down the computer keyboard's Ctrl key. The track numbers should glow indicating they've been selected.
Then scroll to the end of the project to check that all the little tidbits of audio (clips) you want are selected by being black with white wave forms in them.
If you're using soft synths in the song, make sure both the MIDI tracks and soft synth tracks are also highlighted.
Now go to the top and click Edit>Bounce To Track(s). Make some choices in the bounce menu, What You Hear seems to work for just about everything. Click OK and the entire song will be rendered to a single stereo track in the project.
That stereo track can then be selected by clicking on it, exported to your My Music folder or other destination and burned to CD with Windows Media Player or your favorite player/burner. File>Export>Audio.
Or re-import to a new MC project and use their burning application.
That's one way of doing it.
I have an external CD recorder, so I can record a CD outside the computer directly from my interface's audio outputs, which saves a few steps.

Greg 

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 14:29:32 (permalink)
Reece and Greg, thank you.

It was about 1962 when I lived in Mineral Wells.  I was going to any Army school there.  I spent 25 years in the military and then worked another ten for a project management firm from Houston.

I can't recall the name of the church.  It was a Baptist church not far off the main road I took to get from Mineral Wells to Ft. Worth.  I was alone and lonely.  I used to drive into the outskirts of Ft. Worth on Sundays and just walk around.  One day I liked the singing coming from this rather large Baptist church and went in.  People were great and I went back several Sundays before I was sent to El Paso and Ft. Bliss.  I had my first professional singing job in El Paso.  All a long time ago.

Greg, it sounds like using an external recording set-up is a simpler way to go.  What kind of hardware do you use or recommend to do the recording.  I plan to only make a master and one copy, then send the master off to a professional CD maker to produce and package the CDs.  I'm told some of them do a good job, better than I could do, at a reasonable price.  Of course, I am thinking way ahead here!  Ha!  But I can't wait too long at my age.

I am getting pretty tired after being up since 4 AM thinking about all this stuff.  Ha!  Talk to you later.  I am sure you two can't wait to hear my next ignorant question!  Ha!

Thanks, Scott
Beagle
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 19:29:12 (permalink)
Then you're older than me!!!  I was in the army in 1963, but it was an army HOSPITAL where I was born!!!! LOL!  My father was stationed at Ft. Riley KS when I was born in '63!

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 19:47:16 (permalink)
Yes, I am much older than nost everyone I know!.  I entered the Army in 1959 and retired in 1989.  I worked for the people from Houston off and on from February 1989 until December 12, 2002.

They had offices in San Antonio, Corpus, Houston, and Austin and in places like Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, and Washington D. C..  They are 3D/International.  I worked the last four years ('98-'02) for them on the Pentagon Renovation, where they were part of a joint venture managing the project.

I had planned to retired in Dec '01 but 9/11 changed that.  A lot of us stayed an extra year to get the outer wall back up.  My wife worked in the area hit by the plane, but she was not there because we had just finished remodeling that area and no one had moved back in yet.

The blast rocked me a bit in my trailer and I headed right to the site.  I had been to Viet Nam and I had a very good idea what had happened.  I was in front of the building until midnight that evening trying to do what I could to help the fire and rescue people.  I smelled like smoke for two days.

But, of course, I was one of the lucky ones - just like in Viet Nam.  I am lucky now to still be able to sing a little and get paid a little for doing it.  I wish I lived some where that I could find more singing jobs because I still love it.  I'll send one of my flyers to your e-mail.

I miss Texas sometimes.  People used to ask me what part of Texas I was from after talking to me for a while.  When I went into the military it seemed like most of the people were from southern states.  Me, I grew up in Illinois, but I couldn't wait to leave there after high school.

I'm getting too old to like traveling anymore.

Thanks again for your help.  It really is appreciated.  Scott
Robomusic
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 20:53:34 (permalink)
Reese is a well ..... er   a.. Puppy! Course Scott you got me be a few as well. I was born in 57 two years before you entered the army.  Well music is a great retirement hobby.

Music Town
57Gregy
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 21:07:58 (permalink)
Greg, it sounds like using an external recording set-up is a simpler way to go. What kind of hardware do you use or recommend to do the recording. I plan to only make a master and one copy, then send the master off to a professional CD maker to produce and package the CDs.

Are they going to master the recording or just burn the CDs?
If they're not going to master the CD, that's another thing you might research, to get the best possible recording to the CD pressers.
Mastering involves using equalization, compression and other studio processes to tweak the tracks to the Nth degree without them sounding like they've been tweaked to the Nth degree.
If they are doing the mastering, they may want all the tracks, not just a stereo track.
I have a Philips CDR775, one of the first CD recorders available for regular folks to buy. It's about 10 years old and is beginning to show it's age, but usually works well. Just start MC and hit record.
But I wouldn't buy one now, with the computer tools I have to do the same job.

Greg 

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 21:36:14 (permalink)
Honestly, Greg, I am just too ignorant of too much.  I don't know a thing about audio, only working with midi up until now, much less anything about recording or mastering.

If I got somebody who knew what they were doing to do as much as I could afford I would probably be a whole lot better off.  Ha!  Hell, I haven't even been able to figure out how to plug up the interface yet!  Ha!

This forum has helped me to begin to understand the depth of my ignorance.  So I will try to get the interface working for my live performances.  Then I will try to learn a little about audio and maybe make some midi files with Real Band audio instruments.  Then perhaps I will try to do a better job on getting the back-up files for my original music to sound better with a midi and real tracks mix.

If all that works out before I die I guess I will tackle the recording step and see what it costs to get someone to master a CD and make up the disks if I provide the tracks - if I like what I have been able to produce with my back-up tracks and getting the voice into the files.

It is obviously a series of events and learning curves that I realisticly may never have time to realize.  But it will be fun to see how far I get.  And, with any luck, I'll still be learning new things the day I die!  Ha!  I've already outlived my father and his three brothers by ten years or more.  I remain a lucky man in many, many respects.

I mean here I am not tooooo far from the end of my life and I am still able to do the thing I like most.  Can't beat that.  I run everyday to try to stay healthy and give myself a few more days, etc.

It is great to have the benefit of your advice.  I know I have always had too many other committments in my life to learn what I needed to know about the things I really liked.  So I will just use what time I have to catch up a little each day!

Talk to you later. I am tired - being up since 4 AM today and all.  Ha.

Thanks, Scott

traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/30 21:42:04 (permalink)
Rob, I think we are just old enough to realize how well off we are!

Great to get all your advice.  Past my bedtime.  Talk to you later.   Scott
traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/31 09:51:21 (permalink)
You guys probably know all about this source but it was new to me, like most everything is!

YEP - Mastering Tips.  It was a three and a half page response to a request for help with mastering written in 2005. I guess it is a classic of sorts.  If you search the Cakewalk Forum for YEP or Mastering Tips you should find it.  I printed it all.

I am also going to the Ozone webpage as they have a highly recommended PDF file on the subject.  And, of course, Ozone is new to me too.  Ha!

Scott
traphillman
Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/02/01 14:19:48 (permalink)
One thing reading the YEP post convinced me of is that I should not do my own mastering if I every got to that point.  I saw one estimate on the web by a recognized place of about $1,000 for a single record mastering.  That is out of my price range!  So I just sent off for a very basic book on mixing - better start with the easier stuff!

I could not find the Ozone site either, so I guess that was from an old post.

At least I have almost finished remixing my 500 files for use with the TTS.  I kept copies of the originals for use with the SD-20.  Am I organized or what!

I am still unsure how to get my mixer output back into the computer to record it through the interface.  I think I play my midi file to the SD-20 through the UBS connection into the mixer, along with the voice drectly into the mixer, and run one or two of the mixer outputs into the interface, which is set up as the audio input device for the computer.  I just don't want to mistakenly use a mixer output that is too strong - I mean the best outputs are speaker outputs and I don't think the interface or the computer can handle that - but I don't know.

Sleet and snow coming again this week!  Are you getting a lot in Clayton too, Greg?

Scott
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1