TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/11/14 02:11:34 (permalink)

TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited

I thought I had this sorted, but it seems not.

If I create a new drumset, name it MyNewDrums _and_ write it to User Rhythm _and_ Save to a Performance File, _and_ Save to a new Preset, and then close the project and reopen it, as long as I left that drumset there it is OK.

But AFAICS _I can never pick it or any other again_ because if I click on the Drumsets and ask for User Rhythm, all I see are 128 "Standard Sets".

I can still select the Preset sets. Btu all sets on the User Rhythm are Standard Set.

I know at least one other person has had this happen, because I have been trying to sort it out with him. But has anyone a solution?

Do we just use TTS-1 as a good hack GM - GS player?

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

7 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/14 02:44:11 (permalink)
    OK. Can somebody please confirm or dis _this_?

OK. Make your change to a (drumset/instrument). You then need to:
    - Save as Preset (which will be stored with TTS-1 to be available every time you open AFAICS)
    - Save as a Performance File (because you can nominate where this goes in case of emergencies.
    - AFAICS the Perf File has the same power as a Preset....the jury is still out on that
    - Write the Drumset/Instrument, with a new name, to the User Rhythm Bank.

Now, what nobody seemed to say was that neither the Preset nor the Perf File actually save the Banks that you just Wrote. So what you have to do after closing and reopening the project (you should see your recreated drumset/instrument there already, if you pick the same Perf File or Preset that you saved), you have to THEN also Load the Bank that you previously saved, in order to see any other drumsets/instruments you have created.

Nick

Nick
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/14 11:19:57 (permalink)
    Yes Nick,

I seem to remember this with TTS-1. Saving the preset within an individual track voice does nothing--it is not restored with the synth when reopened. I think I abandoned it after noticing this particular idiosyncrasy.

But I don't use TTS-1 and I don't really need it. I tried all the included softsynths when I first started with Sonar, and as I recall, TTS-1 had a few nice sounding digital pads, but it doesn't achieve either the sonic quality or the tweaking power of my hardware synths.

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/14 18:02:12 (permalink)
    It's weird. You need to jump through 40 hoops to get it to work, every time you fire up. It;'s a sham(e), because it's at least a good "workhorse". It seems to have been abandoned, if this is left like this.

The Chorus keeps resetting on me as well.

I feel like a "bugs" bunny! <G>

At least Dim Pro is different from anything I have had before.

I have a perfectly good Sound Canvas sitting on my shelf; I went into all of this to avoid using hardware

Nick

Nick
    kwgm
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/15 15:36:00 (permalink)
    Hi Nick,

I read your Chorus confusion post.

You know, that Chorus effect is a System effect, not an Insert effect, right? This means that each channel has a Send to Chorus, but no control over the Chorus settings.

Setting a Chorus parameter means you're setting a value of the chorus effect, which all channels use, and correspondingly, all channels will sound differently. Only the individual channel sends are associated with each channel, as far as Chorus is concerned.

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/15 20:08:46 (permalink)
    I realise it's a System effect. That's OK. But it "freezes" if you change Presets.

I set the Chorus, and that's fine. I save the preset, and I am still OK. But if I jump to a different preset, and then back again, the Chorus become a static fast reverb basically, and I have to "nudge" the rate control to get it to start sweeping again. So it's not changing patches that causes the problem, it's changing presets, and using the same patch.

Nick

Nick
    kwgm
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/15 22:12:20 (permalink)
    Oh, I see.

Like the chorus reverts to defaults when you switch tracks--0 speed or 0 depth maybe?

I can imagine that might cause problems.

These are old synths, Nick, and they probably don't get much attention anymore, especially not since Rene and Co. joined the merry band. The future is Dimension Pro, Rapture, and maybe Z3ta+, along with whatever else comes down the pipe.

Pentagon is a nice sounding VA if you like that kind of thing, also, but it sounds like your looking for a good General MIDI plugin? I think you're working on relatively older equipment, but if you do upgrade your computer, you'd be very happy with one of the new samplers with a huge sound-base like Gigastudio or Kontact. Check out the 2 forums at Northernsounds.com if you want to read some people who use those things all the time for making orchestral and film music. What's his name from Spectrasonics hangs out over there also, Eric Pershing. If the TTS-1 sampler really has Roland waves within, then he's the man who designed many of those sounds.

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 Confusion with saving revisited 2007/11/20 09:22:07 (permalink)
    Hey! Sorry for the slow reply. It was i my inbox but I am picking up a new mail handler.

Yes. The Chorus reverts to zero speed, and probably Max depth, hence a sort of weird reverb.

I was sort of looking for a good "workhorse". I agree that TTS-1 is a little long in the tooth....but that is what workhorses are all about <G>

I do feel that TTS's including this as a "feature" synth, if it's orphaned, is a little cheeky.....rude.

However, I shall accept it as a good backing unit.

Still disappointed that I have a perfectly good Sound Canvas sitting on the shelf, with the most amazing control software (SCEdit) and that the softsynths seem even more throwaway than even card synths (SW1000XG and XGEdit :-< )

I am looking at upgrading hardware....manly for graphics, CPU speed and RAM...I do 3d animation...DO? I am LEARNING 3D animation <G>.

Again, it's this business of market market market....with the truth being a little disappointing....unless you spend more.....

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/11/20 09:35:26

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1