TTS-1

Author
TomHannah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2013/08/23 09:07:03 (permalink)

TTS-1

I have recorded a few projectes in MC6 (just getting my feet wet really). The current one is my first using the TTS-1. Right now I have only 5 tracks.
1: Piano, 2: Strings, 3: Bass, 4: Drums, 5: Piano
I am trying to add a second piano track on #5. When I mute track 1 to oit the first piano, it also mutes 5. I have checked my outputs, and I think I have them right. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple. Any suggestions?
Thanks

13 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 09:16:50 (permalink)
    Adding the second piano on 5 should work just fine. Be sure the channel numbers are unique to the tracks.

I believe piano is the default sound in TTS and it defaults to channel 1 which is fine for the piano on track/channel 1..... so be sure the track 5 piano is set to channel 5 in TTS.

TTS can handle 16 midi instruments so it's just a matter of having the channels correct.

http://www.herbhartley.com/hh2_edited_slimmer_005.htm  read the section on advanced TTS set up and operation from my web site.... it may help.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    TomHannah
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 09:21:37 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    I have track 1 going to TTS chanel 1, track 2 to TTS 2 (strings), track 3 going to TTS 3 (bass), track 4 going to TTS 10 (drums), and track 5 going to TTS 5 (piano).
    In your write-up, you have three MIDI tracks and an audio track (where the TTS "lives"). How do I set up this audio track?
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 10:02:31 (permalink)
    How do I set up this audio track?

When you use the Insert>Soft Synth menu, it will create a MIDI track (if you choose to) and the synth audio track automatically.
    If you're using Simple Instrument tracks, you won't see the synth audio track. Or maybe you won't see the MIDI track? I forget, but using the Insert menu will get you both.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    TomHannah
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 10:34:15 (permalink)
    So.... for every MIDI track there must be a corresponding audio track, I just can't see it if I have used Simple Instrument. If I add a MIDI track, then I must also add an audio track to send the output of the TTS to? (or one audio track with the TTS to send all the MIDI outputs to)  

Back to my original "muting" quesiton: If I had used an Instrument track for the original piano (track 1), and a MIDI track for the new piano (track 5), muting track 1 would mute both tracks because it is the one with an accomaning (although hidden) audio track. Am I close?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 11:55:09 (permalink)
    Yes, you have it. One thing you can do to mute the MIDI in the instrument track without affecting the other MIDI tracks feeding the instrument track is take the velocity slider on the instrument track to 0. The velocity slider is the Gain knob in the Track Inspector.
    post edited by scook - 2013/08/23 11:57:07
    Guitarhacker
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 12:54:55 (permalink)
    TomHannah
    So.... for every MIDI track there must be a corresponding audio track, I just can't see it if I have used Simple Instrument. If I add a MIDI track, then I must also add an audio track to send the output of the TTS to? (or one audio track with the TTS to send all the MIDI outputs to)  

Back to my original "muting" quesiton: If I had used an Instrument track for the original piano (track 1), and a MIDI track for the new piano (track 5), muting track 1 would mute both tracks because it is the one with an accomaning (although hidden) audio track. Am I close?

Close and accurate with most synths.... one midi track feeds data to the synth in an audio track....2 tracks to make it work. This is true for most of the synths we use now days.

However, TTS is a multichannel synth so ONE instance of TTS in an audio track will handle the incoming midi from up to 16 different midi tracks. So with only 17 tracks, one audio/synth track and 16 midi data tracks, you can make it work.

In the track inspector area of each of the midi tracks, you will find the field to indicate which channel in the TTS synth that particular track is supposed to go. You also have the option to select the patch.
    All settings are from the midi track inspector.... click to show all fields if that is an option.

Just for grins and since I had 5 minutes, I opened an existing TTS project I use to answer questions.

TTS in audio track 1
    Piano in Track-2 midi channel 1 going to TTS
    Basson in track 3 midi channel 2 going to TTS
    Strings in track 4 midi channel 3 going to TTS
    Piano 2 in Track 5 midi channel 4 going to TTS.

NOTE..... to keep it a bit less confusing, place the TTS synth at the bottom of the track view for it's tracks..... then Track one can be on midi channel 1.... 1 to 1,  2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc and the synth is after the last midi track used..... with 10 midi tracks on TTS, track 11 would be the synth track in this example. Of course this nice numerical setup only works on the first instance of TTS.....

Working various combinations of mutes...I could not replicate what you described.

So I started a new project by INSERT SYNTH and set up like default.... I don't choose any settings. I added a second midi piano track and did need to configure it to TTS channel 2. Again I was not able to replicate muting one of the pianos and having the other mute as well. The dual track mute ONLY WORKED in this project before I added and connected that second piano to TTS in channel 2.

With 2 tracks , mute one and the other mutes. With 3 tracks and both midi tracks outputting to TTS, they mute individually. However, if I mute the TTS SYNTH audio track, it will reflect a mute on every track connected to TTS since they are muted as a result of the main synth being muted..... but NOT the other way around.

BMI/NSAI

TomHannah
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 13:20:54 (permalink)
    Thank you sooooo much! I think I finally understand it. I think I set up the first track by inserting the TTS and using Simple Instrument. Then on the other tracks (since I did not want a second occurance of the TTS), I inserted a MIDI track and outputted to TTS channels 2-5 (well, 10 for the drums). It seemed to wokr fine until I muted track 1. I'll confirm this when I get home this evening, but I think it is solved. Well, almost solved. If I add a new audio track for the TTS, how can I get the MIDI data in track 1 to a new MIDI track without having to re-record it? Will a copy from an Instrument track to a MIDI track work in this situation?
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 14:10:38 (permalink)
    Yes, it is possible to copy MIDI clips from an instrument track to a MIDI track. At some point you might also want to play around with the multiple audio outputs available with TTS-1. In addition to 16 MIDI in, the synth also has 4 audio out.
    TomHannah
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 14:25:53 (permalink)
    I thank you again!!
    Guitarhacker
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 14:31:19 (permalink)
    If you added it as a simple instrument track.... you don't have to undo anything. The 2 tracks are already there.... one is just hidden. There is a window where you can easily change the setting and changing from simple instrument to a 2 track set up is as easy as checking or unchecking a box.  I am not on the DAW right now but it shouldn't be hard to find.  I know this exists because I have used it to change that very thing myself.

BTW: if you are liking TTS, you should open the TTS GUI.... it looks like a mixer board, and take the time to double and right click on every button and thing in it. There is a lot to this synth that is just below the surface. Also be sure to click on the stuff that is NOT in the channels. There is a layer or two below that GUI that most people don't know is there.

BMI/NSAI

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/23 14:39:36 (permalink)
    I would have mentioned the "Split Instrument Track" function but could not find a reference to it in the Track View Track Menu help screen. It is the function one would use to break out an instrument track into it's component audio and MIDI tracks. Maybe  the function is only in the popup menu for the track. In any event, it is easy enough to mute an instrument track MIDI by taking the track velocity slider (aka Gain in Inspector) to 0. Then double-click the slider to return to default.
    TomHannah
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/26 08:43:17 (permalink)
    Again, thank you so much! Over the weekend, I put in an audio track with the TTS in it, and set up the MIDI tracks "correctly" Worked like a charm. Guitarhacker, I had indeed  inserted Track 1 as a Simple Instrument. I copied it to a new MIDI track before reading your post. Thanks just the same. I'll definately be checking out the TTS in more detail. I really like using it.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: TTS-1 2013/08/26 09:42:28 (permalink)
    I used TTS extensively when I first started and poked around into it's nooks and crannies. It is a versatile synth and sounds good as well.

I haven't used TTS in quite some time since now I work mainly with wave tracks and when I do use synths and midi, it tends to be the ones that use samples such as Cakewalk Sound Center and the Native Instruments collection....

I'm glad you are learning TTS and liking it.

Some time back, a fellow Cake user posted a song in the songs forum that was done completely in TTS. It was a classical orchestral composition, and to top it off, he used the mouse to place each and every note in every track in the thing. Totally amazing piece of work. He didn't say, or I don't remember how many instances of TTS were used or how many tracks were in the project.....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2013/08/26 09:44:57

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1