Talking in Circles by Ascent

Author
Bruce Baldwin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2011/11/02 22:41:13 (permalink)

Talking in Circles by Ascent

We recorded this song over a year ago, and it needed some serious remastering to sound right for our new CD.    Recorded in Sonar 8.5 and remixed/mastered in X1.  It's a proggish layered piece but people seem to like the song....   I guess it has a good beat, even though it's in 12/8.    The percussion is all HandSonic.  Interested in hearing your thoughts. 

http://soundcloud.com/ascent-music/talking-in-circles

6 Replies Related Threads

LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/03 18:26:05 (permalink)
    Always like a catchy rhythm, which you have here.

It sounds as if there is a undercurrent of double time drum.  However, it is too quiet to be heard well enough I feel.  I think it would be beneficial to bring up it's volume level in some places.   I can't tell if it is snare hits or tight toms.  I believe it would add interest.

As far as the overall piece it is well made.  Nice variations and intertwining of sounds and rhythms.

Regards,
    Lance

Keeping it simple

www.sonusproject.com
    Sonar X3d 64 bit , Exclusively using software synths & FX, D-Pro, Rapture, zt3a+2
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO3, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest, Chris Hein Horns, Presonus FireStudio Project Audio Interface, Roland A80 Midi Controller, Tannoy 501A Monitors  

Win 7 Pro 64, I7-2600, 8GB DDR3, w/Firewire

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/03 19:11:51 (permalink)
    Excellent tune. I really enjoyed this. It never loses it's direction tho it changes a lot. Your wife has a fantastic voice and it's strong enough to handle reverb as an effect. The acoustic guitar solo is a nice touch as it probably could have gone electric as well. The song really allows for a some different choices. Also the synth work in the whole song especially after the 3 minute mark is really excellent. Nice subtle movement and texture.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/04 08:35:14 (permalink)
    Very enjoyable song. The time sig helps to set it apart....

I like the acoustic solo.... 

Comments: I normally like button endings on songs, however, on this I would have started a 10 second fade  around 3:22  and be out by 3:32.  After that point, it simply becomes repetitious. 

Good song.... edit for length. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/04 10:48:44 (permalink)
    Good song! Rhythms are nice but as Lance mentioned, the double-time drumming is getting lost. her vocals are very good...i just found the ambient/spacial delay on her voice in the verse not on par with the rest of the mix. Very enjoyable piece.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Bruce Baldwin
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/04 23:09:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the listens and the kind comments!!   You guys are awesome.

Interesting that the "double time" drum is catching your attention...  I never thought much about it!  It's actually part of the basic boom-boom-boom rhythm track I played on the Handsonic and looped throughout the song...   basically just what I happened to play with my right hand to keep the rhythm bouncing a bit.   Since they're mixed together on the same track I doubt that I can bring it out more, but I like the suggestion.
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Talking in Circles by Ascent 2011/11/05 09:43:10 (permalink)
    + + + 1 great song - - - dont care for the verb on the vocal
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1