Tapco S8 experiences?

Author
stevenjcasey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
2005/06/12 19:44:00 (permalink)

Tapco S8 experiences?

Since there's not much of a response in the Gear Forum...anyone have experiences or knowledge to share about Tapco S8 monitors? Or recent experience with Tapco in general?

thanks
steven j

3 Replies Related Threads

LaptopPop
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 853
    RE: Tapco S8 experiences? 2005/06/12 20:42:13 (permalink)
    You'll probably get a lot more responses at the Mackie forums at www.mackie.com.

-lee-
    aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: Tapco S8 experiences? 2005/06/14 07:52:54 (permalink)
    I own a pair of S5s, their little brothers (or sisters, whatever)...

I think they are great pieces of kit, very solidly built, nice clean sound with possibly just a touch of midrange presence that really neutral (and MUCH more pricey) monitors wouldn't have. Obviously you'll get better bass extension with the S8s but I was constrained by having to lug them back from central London by public transport and even the S5s weigh enough that I was very relieved to finally stagger in the front door and put the box down!

If you admire solidly built professionally engineered stuff, these seem excellent value for money. Also Mackie have a very good reputation for after-sales support, from what I've heard.

agreatheight
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Tapco S8 experiences? 2005/06/14 11:11:41 (permalink)
    I bought a new pair of monitors about 3 months ago and I looked at practically every monitor under $1500 per pair on the market when shopping, including the Tapco S8s. Tapco is related to Mackie sort of like how Squire is related to Fender; they use some of the same resources and specs but are manufactured with different materials, methods and quality control in different locations. As for the monitors themselves, they were pretty good - they were comparable to other monitors in the price range, maybe a little better than most ($500 per pair). Unfortunately, they were not good enough for what I was looking for - not flat enough (a bit harsh on the mids end and a bit loose on the bottom) and a bit fatiguing. So I wound up spend the extra cash and getting the Mackie 824s, but also liked the Event Precision 8s as well (both at about $1200 per pair). You best bet, though, is to go to Guitar Center (or where ever) and test them all out!

Good luck.

wish i was ocean size, no one moves you no one even tries...

Eric Hartmann
    agreatheight@msn.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1