Tapco users out there?

Author
stevenjcasey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
2005/06/11 19:18:01 (permalink)

Tapco users out there?

Looking for a new pair of monitors. Heard the Tapco S8's today and thought they were pretty nice at $499. A friend has a pair of B2031A's, which are around $330, but I keep hearing that Behringer is unreliable as to quality control and for customer service. Anyone have experience with Tapco? (I know this is kind of a Mackie lower line of products) Monitors sounded good but if these are as risky as Behringer I may have to think again.

Also heard the KRK V8's but at twice the price...too rich for me!

steven j

5 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Tapco users out there? 2005/06/11 20:10:08 (permalink)
    wow...now there's a name I haven't heard in about 20 years...
    I knew that somewhere along the line, Tapco became Mackie(or merged, or whatever) and I thought their product line became much better once they became "Mackie" IMO),
    I just didn't know they were still around.
    Behringer is, to be sure, weak in the customer service department, and although I've heard Mackie is pretty good, the real testament for me is that any Mackie gear I've ever owned stood up to the rigors of the road quite well and I never needed their support, which, I guess, is the best scenario, but I guess I'd shy away from anything with the "Tapco" name... I just can't forget what their stuff used to be like.

I think I'd still shop around a bit and see what else might be available in the same price range, but that's just me.

FWIW

D.
    stevenjcasey
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Tapco users out there? 2005/06/11 20:15:51 (permalink)
    Yeah, I remember the name from way back but since Mackie makes the guts of these things, supposedly they're good. Just wondering if anyone had experience with them. So far, one strike against...

thanks
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Tapco users out there? 2005/06/11 21:40:40 (permalink)
    Yeah, I remember the name from way back but since Mackie makes the guts of these things, supposedly they're good. Just wondering if anyone had experience with them. So far, one strike against...

Don't get me wrong Steven, they might be fine monitors for the money.
    I can't form an opinion about these monitors specifically because I haven't used them;
    it's just that "Tapco" name on 'em that makes me cringe...old habits die hard I guess.
    I can tell you that Mackie has a much better rep for customer service than Behringer does, and that most certainly counts to me when I'm making a purchase...no small thing.

D.
    MiWi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Tapco users out there? 2005/06/12 21:07:05 (permalink)
    I remember reading a review of the Tapco monitors recently in some magazine, but don't remember what they said about them. I thinhk the impression was generally good, if I remember correctly.

I do remember them saying that Mackie has re-introduced the Tapco name for the less expensive equipment - so expect to see more Tapco in the future if these first releases do well.

Mike

deadtolove
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Tapco users out there? 2008/04/11 08:47:37 (permalink)
    Okay I know this is an old topic, but I jsut joined this forum recently.

I own a set of the Tapco S5's adn I gotta tell ya, they are nothing short of amazing. If anybody out there is thinking of getting a set don't hesitate. The sweet spot is amazingly wide. The bass response is tight and kicks hard. Plus the built in eq roll off switch's work wonderfully well. The most accurate monitors I've ever used.

Then again I can't afford extremly high end gear. I'd love to be a gear snob, but I wait tables for a livign and make music for my own reasons. I can't afford a Mercedes but a quality Ford or Chevy product will get me where I need to go just the same.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1