Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Buddy110
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 256
2008/11/27 22:17:38 (permalink)

Tape Saturation/analog 'sound'

Hi guys,

every few weeks or so, I try to improve my knowledge of a certain aspect of audio production....this week im focusing on tape (analog) saturation

NB: I checked through this thread which was great for actual Tape Sim plugins

I was wondering if any of you guys had a good A/B audio example of a track with and without tape saturation (where its used to benefit the song). I've been trying to 'hear' the sound of it. all i can notice from the plugins i've tried is it gives a kind of 'consolidated, ever-so-slightly Mono-ish, minimally distorted, presence/Air boost' to the track, if that makes sense? or would there be a better way to describe it?

I've been trying out the modernAnaloger, cakewalk FX2 (YUCK!), tesslaSE and TAL-tube tape sim for the moment. with the latter 2 being the best so far

where is the best placement of the effect? (master bus?) or a varied mix across tracks with the main one on the master?

post edited by Buddy110 - 2008/11/27 22:20:33

30 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/27 22:32:26 (permalink)
    There are various types of saturation plugs. One fundamental of all of them is that they add harmonic distortion of one kind of another, of the sort that tubes and/or tape would add. Some of them also do a type of compression that simulates the natural distortion of tubes or tape being pushed hard.

Where you use them depends. If you are using nice, tubey, transformery, vintage type hardware during tracking, you'll already have a fair amount of saturation (or might if you are pushing the input chain bits more), so you might not need any on the indivdiual tracks and might just use it on the master buss. If something was recorded very cleanly, and you's prefer it be dirtied up a bit, you could use in those tracks or busses as well.

OTOH, you can often use it for an effect. Often drums can sound really good with heavy saturation, either on the main drum buss or on a parallel compression buss or something, mixed in with the main drum sound. It can give a full, crunchy, slightly distorted sound that can be really nice.

Anyway, it's like any other plug, use it where it sounds good, where good is left as an exercise for the reader.

A nice one for more extreme lo-fi type of effects is BlockFish, which is free and part of the Fish Fillet bundle. So check that one out. Higher end ones, that sound really nice, tend to cost a bit more. Somewhere in between would be something like Voxengo's TapeBus. A higher end one would be something like the URS Saturation plug, or on other platforms the DUY Tape and Valve plugs or McDSP's AC-1.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/11/27 22:35:07

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 02:09:19 (permalink)
    If you want to mess with some really good analog/tape simulation VST's, check out TriTone. They have several that impart quite a bit of color and do the best I've heard at warming stuff up.

The ColorTone Pro is nice on either a VOX or across the buss. There's no 'right' way to do anything - whatever sounds best to you. As Dean mentioned - with good outboard gear you'll often get what you are looking for without having to resort to the software - but occasionaly it's nice to have some 'color' for effect.

http://www.tritonedigital.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=32

Another good one is the PSP VintageWarmer 2.

I don't think there is any substitute for going out yourself and grabbing the demo's and seeing what they sound like on YOUR material. What may sound good on something I were to post may not translate well to what you are doing.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 02:30:05 (permalink)
    I've been trying out the modernAnaloger, cakewalk FX2 (YUCK!), tesslaSE and TAL-tube tape sim for the moment. with the latter 2 being the best so far

Beauty in the eye of the beholder.....................or................ another mans trash...etc.

I'd use Audio Fx before anything you listed.......................

Using Audio Fx2 and a decent EQ can get you any sounds you need...........
    Buddy110
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 07:38:03 (permalink)
    thanks Dean, you broke it down nicely for me! :)

thanks a lot guys, your feedback is always welcome. I'm experimenting like crazy.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 07:46:01 (permalink)
    Brilliant avatar, Buddy. Did you come up with it yourself?

Sven

Buddy110
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 11:57:12 (permalink)
    thanks Sven, yep I made a mishmash of the cakewalk sonar logo. lol
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/11/28 19:56:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Buddy110

where is the best placement of the effect? (master bus?) or a varied mix across tracks with the main one on the master?

I'll stick up for the cakewalk FX2 tape sim. I wouldn't use it for the whole mix, drum bus at most, but for beefing up a bass track its combination of distortion and compression works well. I consider it more of an exaggerated tape sound which has its place. If you haven't already read the help file for it, there's a lot of good info there.

Some of the more high end ones like droddey mentioned are probably able handle a wider range of tasks from grungeing up a single instrument track to subtle enhancement on the master bus.

There's also the new TL-64 with SP8 that really lets you fine tune the saturation effect.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 09:54:20 (permalink)
    2 cents:

I've found them to be incredibly fickle. They can be just that special magic needed in some tracks and can also be the straw that broke the camels back in others. Sooo many variables. Do yourself a favor and make no rules around it except to treat every use of it on it's own terms.
    BTW...JB Feron is a very nice freebee.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 12:54:12 (permalink)
    One technique I like is to run all of my drums through a bus that has some tape saturation on it (using the FX Tape Sim).

I use EZDrummer for my drums, so I send all of them to abus called Drums and then insert the FX Tape Sim in the effects bin of the bus. Then, using different presets, I can get a nice punchy and robust drum sound.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 16:00:03 (permalink)
    Another useful trick is to put the saturation/distortion on a parallel compression bus. This way, you can easily use volume automation on the p.comp bus to control the heft and saturation of the drums as desired. As you crank it up in the louder parts, to fatten up the drums, they also get more saturated and distorted.

Something like BlockFish (free) or the Stillwell Rocket ($50) are both good choices for something like that.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 16:27:02 (permalink)
    You could do the same thing in the Drums bus (from my example) by just creating an envelope for the FX Tape Sim itself, right?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 17:39:00 (permalink)
    You'd need to create a separate parallel compression bus to do what I was talking about, usually just sending the direct mics to it. Because it's being used to both provide some distortion and to provide extra body. If you just want to adjust the distortion and saturation, then yeh I'm sure you could go that route just as easily.

There's kind of two different strategies for drums. You can compress the rooms and overheads and directs pretty strongly and bring them up higher via makeup gain. Or, you can just use a limiter (mostly) to catch any overly high peaks (or just automate them out), and leave them otherwise fairly uncompressed (except for aesthetic compression to adjust the punch, remove the roominess from the room mics, etc...), and then use a parallel compression bus that all of the directs go to, and use that to provide more body, sometimes lots of it.

Both schemes work, and I guess it depends on the style you are going for. Some genres really call for a highly compressed drum sound. Other times you don't want that, but you still need to give the drums more power to allow them to compete, so you can leave them mostly uncompressed and use parallel compression to get that them power. And if you put the saturation/distortion on that bus, then it kind of tracks with the automated level of the p.comp bus, which often is what you want.

It's probably also a bit easier since changing the tape sim level on the main drum bus may also cause significant changes in the volume level perhaps, and might require multiple automation envelopes to adjust for, whereas the parallel scheme leaves the main drum sound unchanged and only requires volume automation on one bus to go from the ligheter clean sound to the heavier dirtier sound.

You do kind of tend to approach things differently in the two cases. If you are going to use a p.comp bus, you generally want to EQ on the indivdiual direct mics, not on the bus you send (say) the toms to, because you'll want to do sends from the directs to the p.comp bus and you probably want those to be the EQ'd sounds, not the raw un-EQ'd sounds, though there are no rules as they say. And you probably wouldn't want to compress individual direct mics, but do that on the snare/tom/kicks buses, leaving the directs uncompressed for the send to the p.comp bus. Whereas, you might do it exactly the opposite way if you aren't using a p.comp scheme.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/12/05 17:43:14

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/05 21:13:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll have to give your method(s) a try sometime soon.

Thanks.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 00:05:34 (permalink)
    Oh, they aren't 'mine' of course, though I'm always happy to claim responsibility for any ideas that actually work well. If it sucks, then clearly it was just some random idea that was explaining but in no way myself endorse!

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 01:07:07 (permalink)
    Ha! I hear ya.

How do you set up parallel compression in Sonar? Do you route a track to two separate buses with one bus basically clean and the other bus with mucho compression?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 15:04:46 (permalink)
    The way I generally set my drum processing up is:

Kick directs -> EQ -> Kicks Bus (compression if desired) -> Drums Bus
    -> P.Comp Bus (limiter or comp) ->Drums Bus
    Snare directs -> EQ -> Snares Bus (compression if desired) -> Drums Bus
    -> P.Comp Bus -> Drums Bus
    Tom directs -> EQ -> Toms Bus (compression if desired) -> Drums Bus
    -> P.Comp Bus -> Drums Bus
    Overhead Left/Right -> Overheads Bus (comp/EQ) -> Drums Bus
    Rooms Left/Right -> Rooms Bus (comp/EQ) -> Drums Bus
    PZMs Left/Right -> PZMs Bus (gating/comp/EQ) -> Drums Bus

So everything goes to their own bus, then on to the main Drums bus. But the directs also go through the P.Comp bus and then on to the Drums bus. I generally don't have anything on the overall Drums bus. The P.Comp bus would have a limiter or fast attack compressor, optionally with some saturation and/or distortion. And you may often want to put an EQ on the P.Comp bus to emphasize certain aspects of the direct mics, such as maybe rolling off a bit of the lowest lows and the highest highs, so that it really emphasizes the heft without getting harsh or mushy.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/12/06 15:10:05

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 16:20:52 (permalink)
    Very cool.

Thanks!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Buddy110
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 19:00:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    I generally don't have anything on the overall Drums bus.

do you use that 'drums bus' then just for overall volume control? or are you keeping it as an 'experimental' bus that anything goes, depending on the mix? why not just hook the p.comp/snare/kick back into the master or main outs? (learning as i go here..so any info is priceless!)
    post edited by Buddy110 - 2008/12/06 19:03:25
    Dave King
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 19:30:32 (permalink)
    do you use that 'drums bus' then just for overall volume control?

This is probably correct. It allows you to easily adjust the level of the whole drum kit in relation to other instruments in the mix instead of drum by drum, etc.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/06 20:22:35 (permalink)
    Yeh, just for overall drum level adjustment. And I could put something there if the need arised.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Spinedoc
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/28 19:57:09 (permalink)
    Demo PSP mixsaturator. It is the most versitle swiss army knife of saturator I have found. Even has its own mix control and seperate processing for high and low bands. Awesome.
    droddey
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/28 21:01:43 (permalink)
    BTW, I should have said above that some compressors have an internal parallel compression scheme, so you don't need a separate bus necessarily. The Stillwell Rocket I noticed the other day has that. Where it will mix back in the original signal with the compressed signal to whatever degree you want, though I'm not sure if it'll let you get the original up higher than the compressed or not which is kind of necessary for the parallel comp drums thing. You want the compressed version to be a good bit lower in volume. And the Rocket has saturation built in as well. It's a pretty nice sounding and cool plug for the bucks.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/28 21:32:06 (permalink)
    disclaimer... I use an MCI JH16 when I want things to sound like they were recorded to tape! Put another way, I have not yet found a tape simulator that sounds like the real thing to me. YMMV...

Of the bunch you mentioned I'd have to say I like FX2, probably because it does not do "too much".

There are a couple different mechanisms that seem to be most popular, and they are very application specific.

#1, with a bullet, is the slight compression one gets when one slams the tape. This is useful for tracking, and I tend to use it mostly for drums and other percussive stuff because I like the way it smooths out the transients a little. This is the one place where I do wish I could find a really good tape sim plugin!

#2 would probably be the EQ effect. It varies all over the map, and depends on the condition of the machine, the alignment of the machine, and the tape formulation. Frankly, I'd rather it didn't happen, and when I want EQ I prefer to reach for an equalizer<G>

#3 might be the distortion, but that's as much a function of the electronics as it is the tape. I'm on the fence, I like the sound coming back from my tape deck, but if I could duplicate it I might, especially if I could do so independently of other artifacts.

I can tell you that wow and flutter is probably not something most folks are trying to reproduce<G>! But oddly enough, and I think there is something to it, a lot of folks like the cross-talk or whatever is happening. This is mostly applicable at mixdown time, and it would be dead simple - in theory - to reproduce the effect with a bunch of sends. In practice, of course, it isn't quite so simple.

I was wondering if any of you guys had a good A/B audio example of a track with and without tape saturation (where its used to benefit the song).

I probably do, but you'll need the original files to really hear the difference - any data compression would likely make the whole thing moot. Let me dig around...

I've been trying to 'hear' the sound of it. all i can notice from the plugins i've tried is it gives a kind of 'consolidated, ever-so-slightly Mono-ish, minimally distorted, presence/Air boost' to the track, if that makes sense? or would there be a better way to describe it?

You are on the right track! But in this case hearing the effect using plug-ins is probably not the best approach. What you'll be hearing is each developer's idea of the artifacts that are desirable, and their implementation. The best way to learn about tape is to use a tape machine, and listen to the original signal and then the recorded signal... the differences will be quite clear!

Your descriptive words are interesting, btw... I wouldn't use any of them I don't think, but now I have to think about them!

Depends on the application...

If you are trying to faithfully reproduce the effects of recording to analog tape then you need to think about how analog tape was used. And there is no one answer... some engineers printed the cleanest possible track to tape and applied effects afterwards... some of us didn't have enough effects and processor boxes, so we printed processing a lot of the time, and effects some of the time.

I'd suggest starting with just the tape sim plug-in, as that'll let you really focus on that particular aspect of the process.

That all applies to tracking... for mixing the process is pretty well defined... everything came off the tape, through the processors and effects, and then back to tape. ARGH!!!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/29 07:49:00 (permalink)

Oh My gosh

WST3

siad it all. I would suggest reading his/her? responce
    over and over and over to infinity.

I can only add by giving my history. When i was in my
    20s I needed to do muti tracking. I had no means to do
    that. So I recorded 1 track on a "cassette deck". (you
    may have to research history to know what that is :)
    Then play back while adding the next track etc.

The final mix was "smooth" I'll give that! But clean? I
    didn't know what clean was. then I got a teac 4 track.
    wow I was blown away at quality sound.

the point? tape has its limits (and noise) (by the way is
    sometimes good) dithering?

Digital recording has brought accuracy to the front, So
    we try to go back to saturation to fix the fact that there is
    a problem in the "sum" or "whole" of the parts.

We get into the "use a such and such" to do something
    instead of "do something with such and such"

My point? I know its a pain to want more out of your
    sound but if you go back to the "parts" then the "sum
    becomes greater than the whole"

when the parts are "sweet" The mix will be

Tape emulation or tube saturation? Some people use
    them very effectivly as a "tool". Just dont let it become
    a have to be.

My view of all the different types? they all are cool and
    sound or responde to the signal differently. I use them
    to "check out" my track or mix. They are a good thing
    and each have their own merites.

Jimmy
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/29 23:43:03 (permalink)
    You can likely buy a used " decent " Tape machine such as an Otari 2 track for the price of a decent plug-in.... " Ain't nothing like the real thing".

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/30 02:06:34 (permalink)
    I love antares tube and voxengo tape bus. also, Im loving the new Tube leveler in sonar 8 and I love the transient shaper as well, but that is a different thing-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    wst3
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/30 09:03:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rbh
    You can likely buy a used " decent " Tape machine such as an Otari 2 track for the price of a decent plug-in.... " Ain't nothing like the real thing".

Interesting idea!

In addition to the Otari MX-5050 series, which are quite good and very bulletproof, there are also a ton of Ampex AG-440s out there looking for good homes.

The Otari is nice because it provides half-track and quarter-track playback, if you ever get requests to recover old tapes that can be real handy!

I prefer the Ampex for editing, the transport is a tad gentler, and I just find it easier to use for editing tasks. Of course if you aren't going to edit that's not a valuable feature, and really, when I stop to think about it the only splicing I do these days is repairs to old tapes<G>!

Another worth considering is the Scully 280 family. Of the three they are probably the most finicky, but when they are set up they work well and sound great.

Otari still provides support for their tape decks, at least in terms of parts and manuals.

Ampex parts are plentiful, so if you DIY that's a consideration.

Scully parts are, at least in my experience, are a bit tougher to find, and a bit more expensive than Ampex parts, but they are out there.

There are lots of folks on the internet that are familiar with all three, and there are list servers dedicated to each brand.

All that said, a 1/4" two track tape deck is not going to sound the same as a 2" 16 track, or even a 1/2" two track. If you absolutely have to have that classic "tape sound" (whatever that is<G>) you may not be happy with a 1/4" machine.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    wst3
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/30 09:14:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio
    I love antares tube and voxengo tape bus. also, Im loving the new Tube leveler in sonar 8 and I love the transient shaper as well, but that is a different thing-

As a rule I think Antares makes some wonderful tools... I use their Filter and Kantos plug-ins all the time for sound design, and would feel very lost without them. However, the Microphone Modeler and Tube left me cold, I never did get past the eval period for either one of them.

The Voxengo stuff rules, and while I'm not ready to give up my Waves or UAD collections, if I had to use only a handful of vendors Voxengo, Kjaerhus, DBAudioware, and PSP would be on my short list. All four provide tremendous quality and value. Their Analog Suite (that's probably not the real name) has been on my list of things to really evaluate for some time, but finances have kept me from giving it a fair test... my concern being that if I really like it then I'm going to be pretty unhappy when the trial period expires!

The Transient Shaper (and the Transient Designer for the UAD-1) strike me as one of the best ways to get a lot of the sounds we associate with tape. I've spent countless hours trying to tweak both of them to do just that, but thus far I've been unsuccessful. The settings are in there somewhere, I really believe that, but they elude me.

Between one of the transient manglers and a really subtle distortion generator I think one could capture that elusive sound that tape and transformers impart, without all the other artifacts to boot. It would not be tape modeling, but that's OK, what we really want are the euphonic errors!!!

You have inspired me to return to the hunt!!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Tape Saturation/analog 'sound' 2008/12/30 21:27:50 (permalink)
    Am track ( bundled with Samplitude ) but also available in stand alone has a very good tape sim and analogue compressor plug combined.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1