Tascam US-1800 - Never Again!

Author
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
2012/09/22 17:17:37 (permalink)

Tascam US-1800 - Never Again!

Well...

I bought it because it was so cheap it seemed too good to be true and of course it is....

The interface works and it's not too bad sounding, but it has the worst monitoring ability of any device I've ever tried...

I want to return it but I can't find anything else to buy (that I can afford)....

I'm stuck running Vista64 on one machine and this is the only interface I've found with support for that.... I could skip this machine and wait another week or so to have Win7Pro installed on my Mac and then use a better interface there, but then this machine (HP) is dead in the water... I guess it could have some kind of use, but what a waste of money and time this piece of gear is to a typical user....

I can't even do one-instrument at a time as the monitoring is so bad it won't even allow reasonable monitoring of that let alone a 14 input session! <sigh>...

Sorry to rant, but I thought I should post this for anyone else considering buying this... All I can say is "Don't"... Me? I'm stuck and very unhappy...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1

12 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/22 17:36:29 (permalink)
    keni,ASIO4ALL an option buddy ?
    might make it better?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Keni
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/22 19:11:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the idea, but tha wouldn't change the monitoring issues this box has... Very poorly thought out, extremely limited and avoided in all sales info and conversations...

The box itself is working fine according to the manuf. It's bad design I'm stuck with here...

This coming week I hope to have more cash and possibly return it for a Presonus 1818VSL ($200 more)...

It sucks being so poor and spoiled. My SSL/Mixtreme 192 might be a decade old, but it's so much better it's hard to believe the gap!

Thanks for trying tho...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/23 06:52:40 (permalink)
    After my Saffire Pro 40 died, one of the interfaces I tried was a Tascam US-2000.  It seemed to work OK but the audio outputs for headphones and studio monitors were noisy (noisy with no input signal). I sent it back to American Musical.  

I finally settled on a higher priced Roland Octa-Capture, but it works great.  I also have an under $500 MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R that is my "backup" unit and also used with Pro Tools MP9. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/23 08:30:18 (permalink)
    Tascam =

I will not buy a tascam unit.  they still can't get it right.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Goddard
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/23 08:40:34 (permalink)
    What aspect of the monitoring capability is bad? Are the monitor or headphone outputs noisy or what?

Or are you complaining about the lack of an onboard DSP mixer (so you could, say, select certain inputs along with certain playback outputs from your DAW for monitoring)?

The way that interface is set up (same as my iU2), you use the "mix" control knob to set monitor source(s): all the way to the left is analog inputs only, all the way to the right is analog outputs only, and in between is a mix of the ins and outs.

The Mixtreme is nice, but doesn't play well with newer PCs (or more than 2GBs of installed memory).
    Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/23 10:37:16 (permalink)
    Glad I bought the Zoom R-16.  Almost pulled the trigger on the Tascam.

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/23 11:47:56 (permalink)
    In the unit I had, the headphone and line outs (connected to my studio monitors) had a high noise "floor" (noise with no signal input).  I tried various settings and couldn't get rid of the noise.  When there was signal the noise could still be heard.   It may have been that I got a defective unit, as I can't believe all are that way.   None of the other recording interface units I had or tried were noisy like the US-2000 that I got.

But, I'm happy with the Octa-Capture, even though it was more $$.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/24 11:37:56 (permalink)
    You are complaining about a feature that of cousre is not there at that price point. Did you expect a mixing board with aux sends for $300?

I know what your complaining about and if you need individual monitoring of each input then you have to be creative and use other external gear. All interfaces of this type are the same in this regard.
    The only other solution is super low latency and monitor out the back door..not going to happen.

I record a live band with mine without any issue what so ever.

The Monitor output of the tascam will have a 100% mix of all inputs.
    Because your goal is to have good record levels these are all blasting away at unity. There is no way to turn indavidual channels up or down without interfering with record levels----all these style of interfaces work the same. This is not a design flaw, it is expect that you will use a mixer to solve the problem.

The solution is to use the monitor output as PART of your monitoring system. Each musician then uses a headphone amp with blending or a sub mixer to acomplish a personal mix.
     Example . the bass player uses a sub mixer with a feed from the drummers sub mixer, the tascam, and his DI output.

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/24 12:11:22 (permalink)
    FYI My Live set up:
    Equipment:
    Tascam us1641
    Lenovo i5 Laptop Sonar 8.5
    Yamaha 01v 16 channel digital Mixer - drums
    Berhringer small mixer - bass
    Yamaha 4 channel DJ mixer ( keyboards)

Ch 1 - Scratch vocals - to be re done properly
    Ch 2 - Guitar Amp / iso booth , keep?? re do?
    Ch 3 - Bass / DI xlr side
    Ch 4 - Keyboard scratch - MIDI will be used for final mix.
    Ch 5 - 01v left  out = Drum overheads and Toms
    Ch 6 - 01v right out = Drum overheads and Toms
    Ch 7 - 01v Aux 1 = Kick
    Ch 8 - 01v Aux 2 = Snare
    Ch 9 - 01v Aux 3 = Hi Hat
    Ch 10 - Room mike ( near drums ) optional
    MIDI - keyboards

I could put each drum on a separate channel but I have my sound dialed in this way and it works.

Singer /guitar player uses the Tascam's headphone Jack and the mix is close enough ( because it's me ) The guitar seems to cut through everything else and I don't care about the vocals.

Bass player, DI box XLR to record/ TRS to headphone mixer.  feed from 01v Monitor outputs and Tascam monitor send giving 3 channel control.
    80% of the time he will re do later.

Keyboard - Split stereo out - Left to scratch record- right to headphone mixer. Feed from Tascam. MIDI used for keeper. Keyboard player not always at first sessions anyways.

Drummer uses 01v Headphones and Aux 4 to set a mix.  A feed from Tascam into channel strip and a feed from Bass Players AUX 1 output.

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/24 23:49:54 (permalink)
    I don't see why you would have a problem with monitoring, Unless something is different with the US 1800 from the US1641 the monitoring is very functional and logical. As the monkey said, you can't set up a custom mix for multi track, but one instrument is very easy.  
    You use the blend knob to mix the input with the computers output.
    I find the headphones are very loud too. So what do you mean by not working,?? you must be doing something wrong.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Keni
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/28 12:50:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Guyz...

It just wasn't for me... I guess I'm spoiled as I've had this ability since the very beginning of the digital audio daze as I did in the analog days prior to that...

I know of other ways to create monitor mixes, but none of those variants is what I want to do... Instead I've exchanged it for a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL which only has 8 analog inputs, but it allows for 18 and I do have another converter that puts out ADAT so I will have 14 balanced balanced inputs and 2 unbalanced analog inputs. tho not true zero latency monitoring, it does do near-zero (<sigh>) with a few monitor mix setups...

Everything's a tradeoff, eh? We'll see if I like this one any better... I found that this one does claim VISTA64 support tho it appears I no longer need it as I've got the MacPro (Dual-Quads) running Win7Pro now and Sonar seems to scream with it and gives me (unusable) 1ms latency with the realtek built in audio! (I'm waiting for the Presonus to arrive)...

I immediately saw how the 1800 was really most suited to non-monitored recording (such as live shows) and that there were hardware options I could contrive to work with it, but I think the 1818vsl will be more what I'm used to.

Thanks again...
    Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

gibsongs
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re:Tascam US-1800 - Never Again! 2012/09/29 16:07:46 (permalink)
    Hi Kenni Sorry to wonder a bit from your subject but I thought I would mention something I am planning for a monitoring setup. I've also have been expanding my system over the years and my next major purchase is a decent headphone monitor system. I have been looking at the Behringer Powerplay units. This is a new modular system and has a 16 channel input module ($299) that allows you to plug in up to 6 personal monitors ($199 each). The personal monitors allow the musician to create and save a number of personal mixes within the personal mixer and recall them. That way, other than setting up sends for each monitor signal, you don't have to worry about futzing things for the musician. I have two older Presonus FP10 units and they have been flawless with Sonar when I use it (I moved over to Studio One last year after being frustrated with X1). I believe the 1818VSL has the same 8 line out setup as the FP10s - I plan to connect each of the FP10's line outs (16 total) to the 16 inputs of the Powerplay input module and start off with a few of the personal monitor units and expand as I need for additional musicians. The entry level price maybe beyond what you are looking at since you already purchased the 1818VSL, but after looking for a long time at systems like Aviom, this seems like a pretty reasonable alternative that does not break the bank and gets me pretty close to the kind of system I wanted. I know I used the word Behringer, but they have been getting pretty good reviews on these units. Welcome to Presonus - I'm sure you will enjoy the 1818VSL (if my FP10's ever crap out, I will probably join you with a set of them). Take care, gs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1