Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'?

Author
macflooze
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 544
2006/06/24 17:59:05 (permalink)

Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'?

Hi All

1.Wondering if anyone has any tips on removing minor crackles from a track. I've tried Sonic Foundry, Waves X-click and Soundsoap, but they all either degrade the sound overly, or don't remove the problems.

2. Is there any good way of dealing with digital overs, other than re-recording?

(This is for my father-in-law - he's a soon-to-be eighty year old jazz piano player, he just got into home recording, and he's sent me 15 tracks to 'master' and make a CD from. The occasional crackle from his fridge kicking in [or something similar], and the odd bit of nasty >0 DBFS distortion from a particularly dynamic passage is driving me nuts. I'd rather not ask him to do it again, the performance is wonderful!

I did try to replace the overs with another part of the recording, though the overs are on chords, he's playing jazz, and he never plays the same thing twice....

I tried replacing the channel which was over (LH) with an eq'd-to-match version of the other channel (RH), which was recorded lower level and is clean. The fix was too obvious, and getting even a loose match was extremely time consuming.

He appears to have recorded his Yamaha Grand at a decent enough level, the overs are only on 'crash' chords, but then he put the tracks onto CD for me at a fairly low level.

On the (low level) CD he gave me the overs are really only apparent with careful listening, it's when I bring the tracks back up to reasonable listening level they become intrusive. If I master the tracks to the correct level, I know he's going to think it was me who made it distort.)

Thanks for any help

Pmac
ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov

7 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/24 22:40:20 (permalink)
    unfortunately i think that digital overs and clicking/crackling tend to occupy a wide frequency range. if you can isolate the frequencies, you could try a band-pass filter on a doubled track and reverse phase it. crop the tracks so the phased track is only on during the clipping/clicks. that might get you somewhere but i think for the most part you're going to be stuck.

- jack the ex-cynic
    brandondrury
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/27 11:47:52 (permalink)
    other than re-recording?

No.

Here's an article I wrote that should explain the concept a little better. (Moderators, if this is not cool, please feel free to remove it.)

Why Fix It In The Mix Doesn't Work!

Brandon
    post edited by brandondrury - 2006/06/27 11:58:11
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/27 18:15:52 (permalink)
    Thank you Brandon.

I realize that the best way to fix these problems is not to record them in the 1st place, but as I said, I was handed a bunch of tracks by an 80 year old guy who recorded them himself. We all know that there are in fact ways of cleaning up old records, tapes etc. I was wondering if anyone out there had come across any remedy specific to the problems cited.

(BTW, I've been a live audio engineer for 35 years, and recording for the past 10. I have to ask about fixes for overs and crackles precisely because I don't record them, and therefore have never had the issue of 'fixing it in the mix' arise until now)

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    rjchoice
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/29 10:56:39 (permalink)
    I've noticed crackels when I try to record a decent level of audio from my midi instruments..I dont remember having that problem until recently

what is the best way to avoid it , and still get a good strong signal?
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/29 12:29:05 (permalink)
    To get rid of digital overs, you can do this with a wave editor-- zoom way in on the waveform and re-draw it (seriously). This obviously only works for very short overs (preferably one cycle). Try and get something that looks similar to surrounding cycles. Be sure and save the re-drawn version as a seperate file, because it might be worse than when you started. Depends on your skill and a lot of luck.

You can also take a similar, but non-clipped portion of the wave and edit it in to replace the clipped portion, or just edit out brief overs and splice the remaining segments together.

None of these techniques is really very good, and may be a cure but that's worse than the disease, but that's kind of what you're dealing with, unfortunately. clipped audio is not like "noise" that can somehow be "removed." Digital overs are segments of audio that are lost and gone forever and can only be helped either by re-recording or removing and replacing the offending portions. There are some kinds of software (such as Adobe Audition) that purport to automate these processes to a very small degree, but it is still a painstaking process that can have highly variable results.

ORIGINAL: rjchoice

I've noticed crackels when I try to record a decent level of audio from my midi instruments..I dont remember having that problem until recently

Does "crackles" mean digital overs? If so, turn down your record level. With 24 bit there is no reason to push your record levels close to zero. Just record with your peaks way under and then compress or limit in the computer if you want to loud them back up again. If you insist on recording a hot signal to the computer anyway, then put a limiter in front of the soundcard to prevent overs.

Cheers.
    rjchoice
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/06/29 12:37:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: rjchoice

Does "crackles" mean digital overs? If so, turn down your record level. With 24 bit there is no reason to push your record levels close to zero. Just record with your peaks way under and then compress or limit in the computer if you want to loud them back up again. If you insist on recording a hot signal to the computer anyway, then put a limiter in front of the soundcard to prevent overs.

Cheers.

Ahh great.. youve actualy anwered both my questions... I only recently
    decided to record above 16 bit, audio.. and that's why I dont remember having these problems.. strange though these overs are not "seen"
    while recording or during playback.. just heard...yaknow?..no "clipping lights"
    thanks again
    pz
    -Rob
    post edited by rjchoice - 2006/06/29 12:59:39
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Techniques for dealing with crackles and digital 'overs'? 2006/07/01 01:46:50 (permalink)
    Adobe Audition has a feature called "Clip Restoration" that tries to guess at what the waveform would have been like had it not been clipped off. Its kind of like the way interpolation works with enlarged photos. I've used it a number of times with pretty good success. Audition is expensive to buy but maybe you could download the demo and use it until it expires or something. I don't know if the clip restoration feature is enabled with the demo version though.

Also, I've been restoring several old Edison Cylinders and diamond discs the past few months and Audition is great for getting rid of pops n/ crackles and lowering the overall noise floor. It has automated features for this but if you want to get rid of pops and crackles right I would still zoom in on each one of them and use the clip restoration function to lower them in volume, or in the case of pops that occur during a silent passage, just cutting them out altogether. The automated features work well too though.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2006/07/01 02:07:04
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1