Helpful ReplyTell me more about flat frequency response?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2012/03/07 14:59:40 (permalink)

Tell me more about flat frequency response?

All I know about flat frequency response is all related to microphones and how some people would like a mic that captures audio in it's purest form.

When mixing, I heard something that the room has to have a flat frequency response especially when using monitor speakers.

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
Rick O Shay
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 115
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 16:22:17 (permalink)
A speaker can theoretically have a flat frequency response, but once you put the speaker into an environment, the sound you now hear is the speaker and it's interaction with the environment.  It's this interaction that causes the overall frequency response to no longer be flat by the time it reaches your ears.

As sound travels, any surface the sound reaches causes some degree of reflection.  A tiled room will cause a great deal of reflection of all frequencies.  A room with thick carpet on all the surfaces will cause very little reflection and will tend to absorb high frequencies very well.

When audio is reflected, certain frequencies from the reflections add to the original signal and some subtract, causing an uneven frequency response.  A lot of factors are at play here including the types of surfaces in the room, the size of the room and where you are located compared to the speaker location.  Suffice to say, it all can get pretty complicated.

The goal then is to minimize the uneven frequency response as much as possible.  Short of an anechoic chamber, it's very hard to create an environment with a flat frequency response.  Get it as good as you can, and if your mixes translate well to the real world than you are in good shape.
post edited by Rick O Shay - 2012/03/07 16:24:48
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 16:25:41 (permalink)
so the best thing to have is a flat frequency response from the room?

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 17:11:31 (permalink)
Yes, though you'll never get it perfect. The small rooms that most of us have are smaller than the actual wavelengths once you start getting down into the lower octaves. So you can get huge peaks and cancellations in the bass as heard in the room, like as much as 40dB between the worst cancellations and peaks. This will wreak havoc with your attempts to mix the bass since you can't hear what's really happening.

At higher frequencies you have issues with reflections off nearby walls coming back at slightly different times, creating subtle cancellations (comb filtering is generally what's going on, a finely spaced set of peaks of cancellations.) So the room is a big issue with getting a nice sound. There's lot of discussion out ther eon the subject to read up on.
Basically you do three things:

1. Diffusion, to get things reflecting away from the listener in the mids to higher frequencies, or spreading out the reflections via pseudo-randomly shaped diffusive surfaces.

2. Absorption, to suck up bass energy and turn it into heat. Fiberglass insulation is typical for this, such as Corning 703. When they are placed an inch or so from the wall, the bass energy has to get through the insulation, hit the wall, and bounce back through again. This reduces the energy significantly so that it's must lower by the time it gets back to you.

You can't use diffusion for low frequences because the waves are too big.

3. Listening position placement. There's an optimal position for the mixing position (i.e. where your head will be when mixing), that will start you off at the best you can do before you do the things above. Given a room with X,Y, and Z dimensions, there will be peaks and cancellations are particular places along each axis. There is an optimal position where you are in between as many of them as possible, and it's typically a fairly appropriate spot as well, usually about 38% out from the wall (front to back.) That's your head position, so the desk and speakers will be between you and the wall, and that usually puts the speakers at a reasonable distance from the wall to avoid boominess and such.

post edited by droddey - 2012/03/07 17:16:35

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 17:28:47 (permalink)
IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction. Get it and enjoy.
droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 17:38:02 (permalink)
Room correction systems can only do so much. They can't really do anything about bass cancellations at all, unless I'm missing something.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 17:45:17 (permalink)
@ James. I took a look at the Plugin and I watched some videos about it. In their videos they said it's a combination of three things.

1.ARC Mic
2. ARC Software
3. ARC Plugin

I'm on a tight budget and I like to work with the things I have inles deemed neccesary.
@Droddey. What is bass cancellations?

Take a look at this video around 2:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMJ89iOJY8
post edited by sharpdion23 - 2012/03/07 18:27:27

droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 18:36:04 (permalink)
There are two possible issues. One is that bass from the speakers meets bass coming back from a wall and they combine at a particualr frequency to make it louder. You can use an EQ to bring this down. But the other is when they hit and cancel. You can't fix this with EQ, because they will always cancel out.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 18:43:30 (permalink)
A bit too complicated for me, but thanks!

droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 19:52:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Sound is an oscillation of air pressure, i.e. it's a series of higher and lower pressure waves propogating outwards. If two such waves hit each other where both are going up or down, then they add together, i.e. the high pressures parts combine and their low pressure parts combine. So you get a sound that can be up to twice as loud.

If two waves hit each other such that their high/low pressure parts are exactly on of sync, then one's low pressure part lines up with the other's high pressure part, and vice versa. So they will cancel each other out because, to your ears, the combined effect is nothing.

You can counter act a peak by just lowering the audio at the frequencies where the peaks are. But no matter what you do the cancellations will still cancel. You can't raise the signal at that frequency and do any good since the reflection will then come back at the higher level as well and they'll still cancel out.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 20:17:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Pertaining to mixing, you want the flattest room and flattest speakers - ideally.  Although some will argue about the speakers.  If you think about, people will listen to music in all kinds of enviorments and on all kinds of systems.  If you could hear your mix everywhere, you could find a happy medium.  But we have to make do w/ less than that infininte number of monkees.  So most people stick w/ the best system they can use and the flattest room and listen to that mix in other enviroments.  Or that is the way I do it.  My home system is pretty good - but I drag files down to a "pro" studio, esp. for bass.  I also listen to mp3s on my computer here, and on some bookshelf speakers sitting in my living room.  And the car.  And elsewhere until friends don't answer the door when I stop by w/ a CD.  So every room sound different, and every system, and every system in different rooms.  You get the idea.  But the ear is very adaptive, and you can "learn" how music translates to other places when you "learn" your own room.  Not perfectly, but pretty much.

As far as mics, preamps, etc., it is pretty important to remember that the industry was trying to transcribe things perfectly, but feel short.  Some of these imperfections became, desirable.  The U-47 and similiar mikes, the 1073 preamp, studer tape decks.  They were popular and engineers consider them part of the magic of their hits, etc.So capture is more like an art, using the "flavors" these (and other tools) can impart.  But remember, the engineers were trying for perfect.  A funny story is Neve making a distoritionless EQ.  The lab coat guys loved it, the music guys didn't.  They wanted some distortion.  So he puts some of it back into his stuff, now.

@
post edited by AT - 2012/03/07 20:23:26

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/07 22:54:07 (permalink)
so the best thing to have is a flat frequency response from the room?

That is the ideal. However, it is impossible to achieve. Even if you were to manage a flat response for the room (only possible in an anechoic chamber, btw), you still have to contend with the frequency response of your ears, which is not only not flat but changes constantly.

The best you can do, in a practical sense, is try to mitigate the most offensive frequency irregularities through speaker placement, acoustical treatments and optional "room correction" (e.g. ARC). Then monitor at a consistent SPL and don't wear hats while mixing.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 08:20:29 (permalink)
bitflipper

Then monitor at a consistent SPL and don't wear hats while mixing. 

True that!  

I used to play in a country band and wore a cowboy hat while on stage. It does change things. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 11:28:35 (permalink)
Maybe that's why momma told me not to wear my ten gallon hat inside!  She new I was gonna be mixing some day.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 12:30:58 (permalink)
Pertaining to mixing, you want the flattest room and flattest speakers - ideally. Although some will argue about the speakers. If you think about, people will listen to music in all kinds of enviorments and on all kinds of systems. If you could hear your mix everywhere, you could find a happy medium. But we have to make do w/ less than that infininte number of monkees. So most people stick w/ the best system they can use and the flattest room and listen to that mix in other enviroments. Or that is the way I do it. My home system is pretty good - but I drag files down to a "pro" studio, esp. for bass. I also listen to mp3s on my computer here, and on some bookshelf speakers sitting in my living room. And the car. And elsewhere until friends don't answer the door when I stop by w/ a CD. So every room sound different, and every system, and every system in different rooms. You get the idea. But the ear is very adaptive, and you can "learn" how music translates to other places when you "learn" your own room. Not perfectly, but pretty much.
Yeah, so far the way I've been doing is bringing it to my living room, van and a friends house to listen.

The best you can do, in a practical sense, is try to mitigate the most offensive frequency irregularities through speaker placement, acoustical treatments and optional "room correction" (e.g. ARC). Then monitor at a consistent SPL and don't wear hats while mixing.
Can I use the IK multipedia ARC plugin without the mic and software to try and get the flatest room possible?

In this video he says it the ARC measurement mic, software and plugin works as a combined.

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 13:13:18 (permalink)
  In most cases  cases ARC isn't going to be a perfect solution,but then neither are many room treatments. As Bit says,you basically can't get there from here. But you can get close enough to mix productively. In my case ARC took care of a great deal of my room problems and at least made mixing bearable at decent volume levels. A test of my room would reveal a few dips here and there. I offset some of this with headphone mixing and listening to the mix elsewhere in other systems.

Mixing bass is one of the most frequent problems in the small studio because of the standing waves and the way they interact with the room and your ears. Add to that monitors that can't reproduce the frequencies.

Like Bit says, your ears adjust to their environment. You have an inner EQ that is constantly trying to overide  the mix as it really is.....sure you still want a go at this??? lol.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

bitflipper
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 13:59:19 (permalink)
If you use ARC or some other "room correction" system a) use it last, after doing everything else to mitigate acoustical problems, and b) don't expect miracles.

You can do some basic measurements using only SONAR and a microphone, and SPAN. Download Ethan Winer's stepped sine project and follow his instructions. This will get you started by identifying specific problem frequencies so you'll know if subsequent steps are helping, hurting or doing nothing.

My Stuff
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 14:08:49 (permalink)
sharpdion23

Can I use the IK multipedia ARC plugin without the mic and software to try and get the flatest room possible?

In this video he says it the ARC measurement mic, software and plugin works as a combined.

I guess it's because of the budget you mentioned. ARC is a bundle ($199 these days) - you get the whole thing. Basically, the mic is used to measure the room acoustics and tell the software which adjustments must be made, the the plug-in is used in your DAW to make those adjustments live on the mixbus.

In fact, I just checked while replying - you can get the bundle for $169 over at Audio Deluxe.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 14:30:37 (permalink)
Even in a small room, lots of bass traps can work wonders, though it won't ever get totally flat. I got mine pretty close, though it wasn't a typical square space. But there was a lot of 703 in the room.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 18:45:48 (permalink)
sharpdion23

@ James. I took a look at the Plugin and I watched some videos about it. In their videos they said it's a combination of three things.

1.ARC Mic
2. ARC Software
3. ARC Plugin

I'm on a tight budget and I like to work with the things I have inles deemed neccesary.
@Droddey. What is bass cancellations?

Take a look at this video around 2:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMJ89iOJY8

If it helps you any...ARC=necessity for me. I'd be out of business if I didn't have it. If you can't hear the right stuff coming through your monitors, you can't make the right calls. Be careful what you buy into when you read people talking negatively about ARC. The ones that have a go at it, don't have it and have never used it. It's rare you'll see someone that set it up correctly come on here and bash it as being garbage.

I've read about 12 people that were unhappy with it. With each one, I asked them to try my instructions on how to set it up and offered to help them get it sorted. Some tried what I said and were successful, one man replied back telling me he tried everything I said and still failed. The other know-it-alls that ignored me like I wasn't here kept on bashing it.

It works for me and several others that are getting good mixes. When I tell you I'd be out of business without it, I'm not lying. I'd never be able to judge the sound I get through my monitors without ARC. I'd be back to mixing through AKG 240 cans...which was a fair fix for me, but still way short of what I get now.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 22:19:29 (permalink)
Nonetheless, it cannot fix cancellations. This is just physics, not opinion. You can only fix cancellations by lowering the energy of low frequency reflections back to the mixing position. You can do that by having a purpose built room, which few of us here have, or you can use bass traps. And, if you have enough bass traps to handle the cancellations, they are probably going to be dealing with most of the peaks as well.

If you are in a smallish, rectangular room and you have no bass traps, then it is pretty unlikely that you are really hearing accurately what is coming out of the monitors, at the low end anyway.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 22:54:03 (permalink)
Hmmm.... I'm getting confused here...ARC, Bass Traps, room size

@Bit. where is his instructions?

I seem interested in the IK Multimedia ARC from watching the you tube videos about them. I always had a feeling that I may not be mixing or Eqing correctly because even when I like the way it sounds when mixing/EQing and then I listen to it in the vehicle, it sounds different. Though can any mic work with Ik Multimedia ARC software or does it have to be the mic they sell?

Is IK Multimedia the only program that does this kind of thing?
post edited by sharpdion23 - 2012/03/08 23:12:54

bitflipper
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 23:34:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Dean's right, ARC and its ilk can do nothing to combat resonant nulls. 

Here's what that means: Sound will bounce off walls, the floor and the ceiling, eventually coming back to meet itself. The direct sound and the reflected sound collide, and get added together. If they happen to be in phase, they'll get louder. If they happen to be out of phase, they'll subtract from one another and get quieter. This is what screws up the frequency response of your room.

At certain frequencies, the main signal and the reflected signal will meet completely out of phase with one another, causing them to cancel each other out ("destructive interference"). At that specific spot, and at that specific frequency, there is effectively no sound. That's called a null, a dead spot in the room and the ONLY way to treat it is to provide acoustical absorption so that the reflected signal has less energy to add to the original direct signal.

(Note that when nulls are very close together we don't experience them as silence, but rather as comb filtering. That hollow, in-a-pipe sound. That's nasty too, but easier to treat because we're talking higher frequencies. When we talk about nulls we're usually referring to low-frequency problems, where the nulls are far enough apart to create noticeable dead spots.)

If the primary signal and the reflection meet exactly IN phase with one another, then they add together and cause a resonant PEAK. Just the opposite of a null. (It's called "constructive interference".) In that case, you hear way too much of that frequency. ARC can help with that by reducing just that frequency from your speakers' output.

However, ARC cannot "fix" peaks for every position in the room. That's because at a given frequency, there will be peaks AND nulls at different points within the room. What ARC can do is reduce the peaks at one important position - the spot where you sit when you mix. To someone standing behind you, it might still sound like crap!

These are the reasons ARC isn't a complete solution, but rather the finishing touch you apply after addressing problems acoustically as best you can.

My Stuff
sharpdion23
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/08 23:51:00 (permalink)
Dean's right, ARC and its ilk can do nothing to combat resonant nulls.

Here's what that means: Sound will bounce off walls, the floor and the ceiling, eventually coming back to meet itself. The direct sound and the reflected sound collide, and get added together. If they happen to be in phase, they'll get louder. If they happen to be out of phase, they'll subtract from one another and get quieter. This is what screws up the frequency response of your room.

At certain frequencies, the main signal and the reflected signal will meet completely out of phase with one another, causing them to cancel each other out ("destructive interference"). At that specific spot, and at that specific frequency, there is effectively no sound. That's called a null, a dead spot in the room and the ONLY way to treat it is to provide acoustical absorption so that the reflected signal has less energy to add to the original direct signal.
I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I am mixing using my monitor speakers, sometimes it's like I can't hear on one side (e.g. my left ear is like deaf) But when I turn my head or move around, I can hear again.
(Note that when nulls are very close together we don't experience them as silence, but rather as comb filtering. That hollow, in-a-pipe sound. That's nasty too, but easier to treat because we're talking higher frequencies. When we talk about nulls we're usually referring to low-frequency problems, where the nulls are far enough apart to create noticeable dead spots.)

If the primary signal and the reflection meet exactly IN phase with one another, then they add together and cause a resonant PEAK. Just the opposite of a null. (It's called "constructive interference".) In that case, you hear way too much of that frequency. ARC can help with that by reducing just that frequency from your speakers' output.

However, ARC cannot "fix" peaks for every position in the room. That's because at a given frequency, there will be peaks AND nulls at different points within the room. What ARC can do is reduce the peaks at one important position - the spot where you sit when you mix. To someone standing behind you, it might still sound like crap!

So, "constructive interference" is when the direct sound and the reflecting sound are in phase and make it sound louder and "destructive interference" is when they are out of phase and either become softer or null?

ARC only helps with "constructive interference" and not "destructive interference"?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

These are the reasons ARC isn't a complete solution, but rather the finishing touch you apply after addressing problems acoustically as best you can.

I mix and EQ in one spot where I sit all the time when I work on projects.

droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 00:16:33 (permalink)
Put Ethan's test file into SONAR, the one that bit mentioned above, and play it. Walk around the room while it's playing and stand for a bit in different positions. You'll experience the phenomenon very viscerally. At various points if you stand in one place, you'll feel like your head is being squished, that something is trying to pull your head to one side, and that your head is being expanded. Move a couple steps in some direction and it'll be completely different. The room is full of peaks and cancellations and they are constantly moving as the test signal sweeps upwards in frequency. Once in a while it will go completely silent as you get into a complete null at some particular frequency.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 08:12:23 (permalink)
Whatever you decide sharpdion, best of luck. The guys here know what they are talking about moreso than I do and I mean that sincerely....but I have experience with this plug because I own it.... and honest when I tell you....it truly works. Nulls, errors, issues, whatever the case, it truly works for me. I'll leave it at that.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 09:08:32 (permalink)
ARC could do a lot more if we all had 20 or 30 speakers surrounding us. The analysis work it does is very good... it's ability to use the data it collects is hampered by the fact that there are often only 2 or 2.1 speakers in the room.

When ARC literature speaks about advanced phase management I get all excited, but in some ways it's effectiveness is limited by the fact that we use so few speakers. Also ARC comes before the speaker's crossover... where as it would be a *whole bunch* more effective if it came AFTER the speakers' crossovers. You can see large speaker arrays with full biamping splits being used in this manner in any large venue these days. A small 2.1 system doesn't let you sculpt the air with any where near the detail of a true split multi driver system.

I'll bet ARC could be even more powerful if we all used more elaborate playback systems. :-)

best regards,
mike

bitflipper
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 11:25:52 (permalink)
This is why mastering rooms typically have more than one subwoofer. At one time I thought that seemed like a needless extravagance, but after reading Dr. Toole's book I understood why they do that. You'd actually benefit greatly from having 3 or 4 subwoofers in a room!

My Stuff
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 11:41:08 (permalink)
You could have at least waited a while and given one of my stalkers the chance to point out that I have no idea what I am talking about.

;-)

droddey
Re:Tell me more about flat frequency response? 2012/03/09 14:28:26 (permalink)
One trick they teach in home theater calibration is that the room response at a given position is reversable. I.e. if you take a sub and put it up on a stand at your head level at the mixing position, you can then go around and measure room response at various places along the floor. When you find the best spot, put the sub there and the response back at the listening position should be basically the same. So you can avoid the huge effort of moving a big sub around and remeasuring many times.

I've not proven to myself that this is true, but it would appear on the surface to be so. If you looked at it as reflection points, using say light, you would have the same reflection points from the head position off of each surface so as to see the sub as you would have looking from the sub to each point where you see a reflection back to the head position.

Presumably, once you found a good position for sub #1, you could take a plot of the frequency response, then start looking on the other side of the room for a position that yeilds as close as possible to an inverse response, right? So where one is weak the other is solid, and vice versa.

Though, in general, based on my own experience, I'd argue that you should think hard before using a sub at all in the sort of small rooms most of us have. It creates a lot of complications at the point where the speakers and sub start to crossover. I measured a bazzillion or so different variations back when (with lots of bass traps in place), and that crossover point, using lots of different slopes and frequencies, was messy as measured. I had a box that let me control the xover frequency and slope on both sides, so I could do lots of experiments. Get the xover frequency semi-clean and it would react with the frequencies above or below the xover to make the peaks and dips worse. Make it stop doing that and the xover frequency area would end up usually as a very visible comb filter.

Ultimately I sold it and just stuck with the HR824 mkIIs, which had plenty of low end for my needs and I could get a cleaner low end response with just them.

post edited by droddey - 2012/03/09 14:34:38

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1