Tempo Obsession

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
esmail1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2007/11/04 06:04:20 (permalink)

Tempo Obsession

So I cut all of the drum tracks on my record 12 over 2 days in a little rented studio on a Yamaha kit... tracked with 6 mics.
It sounds ok, not bad for the gear and room involved actually...however drums are the weakest part of my arsenal as I do
not get to a kit very often, and I currently rent an apartment which makes playing drums impossible.

The idea was to record the basic grooves to a click track, and some various fills etc. and then edit things down into a cohesive drum tracks in tempo, correcting timing errors...which I have done...and its OK but doesnt really knock me out, in terms of the sound quality, or the feel.

It is the oddest thing: the tracks that are unedited "feel" better to me, though they may rush or draq within .5 bpm
sometimes within a single 4 or 8 bar phrase... these "feel" better for the tunes, but do not really "sound" better to my ears.. I can spot the imperfections a mile away, but it seems tighter than tom thumbs ass when edited....
Its a weird phenomenon and I cant have it both ways.

I tried drum replacement with Drumogog but it didnt really help much in terms of the feel. Edited perfect drums feel
sterile, real drums seem sloppy.

Driving myself out of my mind....I was reminded of an interview with Stewart Copeland on the recording of "Every Breath You Take", which can be found here:

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_polices_every_breath/index.html

an excerpt:

“When Andy came up with that guitar part, I felt personally that I didn't have to come up with one of those interesting rhythm turn-arounds, like in ‘Can't Stand Losing You’ or ‘Roxanne,’ because it seemed like the guitar part was the trick. So we had the song and we had the trick, and all we had to do was make your foot tap to it. The drum part is very simple: The kick drum is from a drum box — an Oberheim — and I overdubbed the snare drum, which is actually a snare drum and a Tama gong drum played together, one in one hand, one in the other so you get a really heavy, but cracking, backbeat. Then the hi-hat was overdubbed as a separate track. For the swooshes into the choruses, I overdubbed the gong drum with a cymbal swell played with soft mallets. The drum part was completely assembled with overdubs.

Every Breath You Take is a steady 118 bpm though the entire song... and though it is sort of 'sterile' in an 80s sort of way, it certainly doesnt lack in feel and is very passible in terms of the listener does not notice that completely locked-in groove... as it does not detract from the music. The programmed kick drum would be unnoticable to an untrained ear and the 80s drum machine pulls it off admirably (better than my sample library actually)...

A great rock band with solid drummer typically doesnt have to worry about these things, but I am basically a one man show on this project.... So Im left with the dilemma as to which approach to take: edited Drumogoged perfect drums or sloppy with feel

How do you guys handle this? Do you pre-program tempo fluctuations into Sonar and then play to that click... or do you extract the groove from a rhythm track and play to that groove?
Do you play everything to the same locked in tempo (rock/pop/r+b songs)?

discuss..thanks!
post edited by esmail1 - 2007/11/04 06:08:01

42 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 11:56:55 (permalink)
    Wow, all over the map here (pun intended).

Is this an album or a demo situation? If it's an album meant for release, make it perfect or else it will bug you for the rest of your days and give you cause for doubts and excuses and insecurities of every sort. Every time you listen to it you're going to hear the shortcomings. There are so many tools that make it incredibly easy to edit drums in the computer-based studio that there is really no reason for them to not be perfect. Even if you have to edit every single drum hit by hand, on the computer that takes what, maybe one weekend to correct an entire album? That's the easy part.

Something that is brought up by the general tenor and gist of your post though, is whether you really have a clear idea in your head of what "perfect" should sound like. The fact that you are talking about out-of-time parts having a better "feel" is highly suspect in this regard. More in a moment.

At the risk of offending drummers, drums in typical popular music tracks are not a terribly "feel"-laden instrument. I.e. there is not that much difference between the sound of kick drum hit when it's played by legendary drummer of your choice vs played by first-day drum student. What conveys "feel" to the drum part is where the hits are located in time and how hard they are hit, and as a rule, most popular music drummers tend to hit pretty hard and pretty consistently. I mean, if you're looking Max Roach-type drumming then DIY and drumagog are clearly not the right approach. (Cymbals may be a slightly different story-- we'll get to that)

So... if you have some recorded drum hits that you are happy with AND you have a clear idea of where on the timeline those drum hits should be, it really isn't that hard to put them there.

Now, back to this idea of "feel"/imperfect timing:

There is nothing wrong with having a bit of ebb and flow to the tempo in a song, indeed it is quite common for the band to speed up a little before the chorus or whatever and to slow down a little for the softer parts. It IS, however a problem if the drums are not in lockstep with the bass and other instruments. Moreover, it should not sound "wrong" as you say it does. Second, there is a big difference between being "out of time" and swing/working the beat/playing in the pocket/etc. My guess is that your live drum tracks are to some degree or another finding the pocket in ways that the drumagog'ed ones are not. My guess is further that your live drum tracks are not consistently finding the pocket and/or are sometimes confusing the pocket with the actual beat, and therefore shifting tempos as a result.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat. The easiest and best to simply hire a studio musician. There are folks who will do real drum tracks entirely online for pretty reasonable money, I think SteveD from this forum is one such.

If that's not a realistic option for whatever reason, then you'll have to decide what degree of comprimise you're willing and able to make, based on your own abilities. It takes some degree of skill and practice to do midi drums or drum editing well, but mostly it just takes clearly knowing what you want the drums to sound like and then apply ass to chair. The tricky part is not the editing these days, it's identifying where the hits are really supposed to fall, and only you can really evaluate whether you're up to making that decision well enough to satisfy.

One thing I would encourage all home producer/non-drummer types to do is to get into the habit of always identifying and tapping along with the backbeat when listening to recorded music. Use your right hand or foot to tap the kick drum and your left to tap the snare part. The snare drum is almost always on the two and the four, and the kick hits on or suggests the one and the three. The backbeat is the most elemental and basic component of virtually all the music on the radio, and while it's not usually complicated, developing a sensitivity to how different drummers work it will not only catapult the quality of your midi drums, it will also open your eyes in new and unexpected ways to the entire realm of popular music.

If you can get a solid kick/snare pattern going with either real or sampled drums, then the rest of it has a tendency to fall into place. It's generally okay for cymbals, fills, and hi-hat work to be a little more loosey-goosey as long as that steady crack of the backbeat keeps going, and moreover, a solid kick/snare foundation will make it easy to identify ouright mistakes vs "expressive" timing. Indeed, the shortest route to DIY "real drums" for mediocre drummers might be to tap out a steady kick/snare pattern on a keyboard or drum machine, then go into the studio and play along with that.

Last but not least, and FWIW, it is not an uncommon approach these days to use either electronic drums or triggers for all the drums, but real cymbals, tracked either together or seperately. Cymbals and particularly hihats are generally the most vulnerable to sounding "electronic." If the drummer is fond of side-sticking or ghost strokes, then the snare should usually be real as well.

cheers.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 12:42:39 (permalink)
    It's interesting to watch the various approaches to drums. Someone like Keith Moon, though he played some of the most complex and frenetic drums ever, had actually a pretty light touch. Someone like John Bohnam, when he was really going, would sometimes just beat the hell out of the drums. I watch drummers a lot more closely these days since I've got the studio set up and I'm doing my own drums (BFD via a padKontrol.)

One thing I see a lot is people complaining that folks like me do drums that are too consistent and don't sound real. But really good drummers actually sound incredibly consistent, and EQ and compression get rid of even more variation. I think that they just subsconciously think that real drums have more variation than they real do as actually delivered on CDs. There's lots of variety in the MIDI for my drum tracks, too much since I'm not really good at it yet so I have to manually reduce it, and BFD has plenty of velocity layers, but after all the proessing, it tends to get fairly lost even with an inconsistent drummer like me.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/11/04 12:54:13

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 14:06:55 (permalink)
    Hi esmail1,

In reading this thread, a few things struck me:

1) Although I'm not a drummer, I've heard from others what yep said about some parts of drums being dead-on and other parts being allowed a little bit of play --- very little. Most of it has to be dead on for pop.

2) I can't help but wondering if you've EQ'd the tracks before listening. If your timing is dead on, then crucial sounds from the drums may get buried --- enough so that they don't sound good any more. I'll have to leave it to yep and other mixing experts to provide advice here. You could also search this forum for tips.

3) It also struck me that your patterns may be a bit too vanilla. Real drummers get bored easily, as I understand it, so mix things up.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

P.S. and a little OT: There is a fascinating, engrossing, long biography of Keith Moon (actually about The Who and rock in the 60's and 70's) by Tony Fletcher. I highly recommend it. I also just watched the new television documentary about The Who which aired here for the first time (I believe) last night. Also fascinating.

On edit: Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend (1999). I read the hardcover one.

# Hardcover: 608 pages
    # Publisher: William Morrow; 1st ed edition (February 1, 1999)
    # ISBN-10: 0380973375
    # ISBN-13: 978-0380973378

post edited by DaveClark - 2007/11/04 14:43:58
    yep
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 15:17:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DaveClark
    ...Most of it has to be dead on for pop...

Not sure if this has direct relevance, but I suppose I should clarify that in this thread and in general when I use the term "popular music," I speaking in the broad sense of "music for popular consumption" or "music of the people," i.e. nonclassical music.

So, not knowing what particular genre esmail is working in, the stuff I say above is broadly referencing everything from death metal to doo-wop to disco to alternative folk. A lot of the "rules" can vary quite a bit from one sub-genre to the next and certainly say House music or Europop would have a different approach to handling the particulars than say garage rock or jazzy lounge music.

In any case, though, the same principles apply: you have to know, hear, and feel where the drum hits should fall, especially the all-important kick/snare pattern, and then you have to put them there, whether it's by clicking a mouse or sitting behind a kit in a studio.

Whether the piece is a rigidly-quantized electronica track or a slippery heavy-pocket Motown groove, having that backbeat locked in with the bassline is critical, otherwise the track is going to have a lurchy, sloppy, amateurish vibe that is going to be hard to overcome no matter how good the piano or guitar parts or vocal melody are. And "locked in" can mean a lot of different things in terms of milliseconds ahead of or behind the metronome click. Good rythm sections sneak up on you and are what makes you start tapping your feet and swaying your hips even to music that you know is stupid. Mediocre rythm sections are what makes people yawn and look at their watches even while listening to music that they know to be good. And most of it has very little to do with chops or technical virtuosity.

Cheers.
    esmail1
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 15:46:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. This is melodic pop/rock with commercial type hooks, lyrics etc. The focus is (should be) on the songwriting, my vocals and the guitar licks, which are my forte.

Production wise, when I cut the drums......I was hoping for a drum sound similar to The The's "Mind Bomb"...if you are not familiar with that album check it out....Matt Johnson is absolutely incredible as a producer and he got some great sounds out of the drums for that 1989 album. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Bomb/dp/B000068TOC/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-5671295-9449546?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194210399&sr=8-3

Maybe it was the bottle of wine that I had last night before posting that, which made me seem a bit rambling.... lol

If it's an album meant for release, make it perfect or else it will bug you for the rest of your days and give you cause for doubts and excuses and insecurities of every sort.

Yes, this is a commercial release. The songs are all done except for the drums, percussion overdubs and some final guitar parts. The instrumentation consists of more organic sounds such as guitars, piano, organ, some synths etc.

I did edit the drums in Adobe Audition, beat by beat in some cases (took a number of weeks of work to do this...very tedious).... and it generally sounds "good" I just guess that Im not happy overall but should be.... Im OK with the sound, and EQ/compression is not the issue...im more concerned with the feel.

I hear lots of commercial releases where they are getting some great grooves out of samples....so I was just wondering how you all did it....whether you stick to the same tempo over and over in the song or not....and what you are using to build a track via samples and have it sound good...
    post edited by esmail1 - 2007/11/04 16:19:24
    esmail1
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 15:53:07 (permalink)
    My guess is that your live drum tracks are to some degree or another finding the pocket in ways that the drumagog'ed ones are not.

Hello Yep, yeah the Drumagog adds a noticable latency (at least to my ears it does), so I doubled that snare track and then shifted the Drumagog track ahead + blended it in
    with the doubled snare track (the one that I played which has some snare accents to it)...this worked OK and it allowed the Drumagog sample to blend with the real snare
    that I played....

the problem is that my real snare has hi-hat bleed into it from the recording (hard to diminish this in the studio)...so I may have to re-cut the snare entirely by itself at home...
    not much fun there
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 16:43:06 (permalink)
    as usual, yep pretty much explained it. a fast song that's behind the beat will always feel slower than a slower song that's ahead of the beat. a little bit of swing will go a long way into getting people in the groove. the problem with midi-based stuff isn't that the tempo is perfect, it's that the timing is "perfect" or rather, boring.

- jack the ex-cynic
    yep
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 16:57:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: esmail1
    ...the problem is that my real snare has hi-hat bleed into it from the recording (hard to diminish this in the studio)...so I may have to re-cut the snare entirely by itself at home...

Um, have you already tried gating/editing the drum part?

FWIW bleed (even of conflicting sounds, e.g. with a sample-replacement) is not usually considered a big deal in commercial studios. If it is seriously causing a problem then maybe there is a phase issue or some other particular that we could help with?...

...I hear lots of commercial releases where they are getting some great grooves out of samples....so I was just wondering how you all did it....whether you stick to the same tempo over and over in the song or not....and what you are using to build a track via samples and have it sound good...

there is often a huge element of "less is more" when it comes building good rythm tracks, and again, by far one of the most basic and overlooked elements of commercial record production is getting the bass and kick/snare pattern LOCKED. This is something that most commercial record producers spend a great deal of time and effort on, and that many home producers see as an afterthought.

"Locking" the bass and drums is an art, and bass notes require time to develop so it is not enough to merely quantize the parts together. Bass note duration and dynamics are huge factors and some of the highest-paid and most in-demand studio mucisians in the world are bass players who play fairly basic, simple parts, but who know how to lock it in, so that the bass sounds like the tonality of the drums.

Guitar players who take up bass are notoriously bad at this, FWIW. The guitar, especially as a lead instrument, is expected to be expressive, loosey-goosey, "soulful" and dynamic and string-bendy and all of that stuff that makes the guitar such a cool instrument. The electric bass, which resembles a four-string guitar in appearance, is actually a very different instrument with a vastly different role, and what rocks on guitar often sucks on bass, and vice-versa. Bass is literally the most powerful instrument, and every nuance, every gesture, every little squeak and slide and passing tone that the the bass plays rocks the whole boat, whether the audience is paying attention to it or not. Successful bass playing has as much or more to do with nuanced dynamics control and note duration as it has to do with any technical flourishes.

Why do I bring this up in a drum thread? Because from a producer's POV the kick, snare, and bass are really one instrument. They are typically the first things recorded, and the first elements that are mixed before any other faders are pushed up during mixdown. A "cool" drum groove is inherently interlocked with the bass, and vice-versa. The two cannot exist independently in any conventional popular mix or arrangement. They are the part of the music that the audience feels more than hears.

So I bring up for consideration the possibility that your dissatisfaction with the drums has to do with more than simply the drum tracks themselves, especially in light of the fact that the drums were recorded last, after all the instrument tracks were done, and that the drums were recorded in a "building blocks" fashion to be comped into place as one might do with vocals.

The "great grooves" whether they be from samples or actual drummers are generally nothing more nor less than drum parts that interact well with a good bassline, and the same applies to bass in reverse. Look at food preperation, for instance barbeque: the sauce is what people are drawn to (like leads and vocals), but the more fundamental work of making sure that the meat is properly smoked so it's neither dry nor burnt nor overly smoky is just as if not more critical than the "secret recipe" sauce. Put any kind of sauce on well-cooked meat and people will enjoy it, but fantastic sauce poured over burnt, dry, tough meat is a non-starter. For that matter you could look at cake, how the frosting gets all the glory, but nobody would ever eat straight frosting, and if the cake sucks, the frosting doesn't matter.

The analogies go on and on. The point is this: The leads, the guitars, the vocals, the keys, the special effects are all seasonings, spices, special recipes. The foundation, the part the audience takes for granted, the stuff that must be done right before anyone ever even starts to consider the creative flavors must be done right, and that means the bass and drums.

If you were to take some of the world's greatest drum grooves, say from Benny Benjamin or Jab-o Starks, and solo them as isolated tracks, they wouldn't necessarily sound like much. The greatness is in how they interact with the other instruments, and particularly the bass.

Cheers.

droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 17:15:47 (permalink)
    The swing is so important. Probably a lot of people when they hear swing think jazz and figure it has nothing to do with rock music, with its straight ahead beats, but it still is really important. It's not as obviously swingy as big band jazz, but there's a certain swing to a lot of rock music and if all the instruments are not in that groove, it doesn't sound right. There's something about that swing feeling, when it's really really working, that even in a hard tune, just sucks the listener along, as though the whole thing is falling downhill towards some inevitable and satisfying place.

And this is the hardest thing I have to deal with when tracking. If I'm trying to track a part that's tough for me to play because it's kind of at either the edge of my abilities or the edge of my ability to recreate repeatedly for doubling or punching in, the first thing that seems to get lost is the swing. It's so tempo sensitive and when you are stuggling to play something, you aren't just feeling that groove and flowing with it.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/11/04 17:27:58

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 17:32:58 (permalink)
    totally agree - i think as yep says that the lack of swing and particularly with the drums and bass is what separates the men from the boys. not to knock the one man bands (i am one of those after all ) but the problem we have is (usually) compromising the other instruments that we can't play well or at all. i don't have a bass, and so i have to "fake" it. i can't play drums and while DFHS sounds real, it takes a long time to get the groove set up. so the results are songs that contain all the parts that i want but don't move me like they do when i'm just playing my guitar.

funny how important musicians are in making music...

- jack the ex-cynic
    droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 19:45:49 (permalink)
    Are you using a drum pad to play the drums? For me, that's really the secret to it. I really do 'play' my drums when I track them, I don't use any loops. It really does make for a much more realistic and nuanced drum track.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    ru
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 20:10:19 (permalink)
    i would think if this is a commercial release, you want traditional drums and don't consider yourself that much of a drummer, the only thing to do is get someone to play on it.
    i doubt you'll be happy with anything else.
    if you want max roach-style, like yep mentioned, or something other than typical, you might have a difficult search. but it sounds like you're just after decent, natural sounding drums.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 21:02:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    Are you using a drum pad to play the drums? For me, that's really the secret to it. I really do 'play' my drums when I track them, I don't use any loops. It really does make for a much more realistic and nuanced drum track.

no, i quantize by hand... i've gotten some decent results that way, but it takes forever, and so i never spend the kind of time to get it "right." i do have a keyboard but my keyboarding skills are quite rusty and my p4 and low latency don't get along. i've thought about a drum pad, just haven't gotten around to trying one out.

- jack the ex-cynic
    esmail1
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 21:02:42 (permalink)
    Im going through all of the tracks again today. Actually the sound quality is not terrible, I recorded them pretty well except for that snare.
    Too much high hat in it, (even though I had the SM 57 pointed completely off-axis to the high hat and angled towards the snare it was a small room)
    I cant gate it out and there is PLENTY of hi hat in the overhead mics that I rather use.

Phase is not an issue everything is recorded pretty cleanly but im not getting a good control over the hi hat due to so much being in the snare track.
    Drumagog allows me to use less of the snare and more of the sample, but still not as clean as Id like it to be.....

I didnt have 8 hours to mic things like they do in the pro studios, as it is it didnt turn out badly....

but as you guys are mentioning, I think its the SWING that is missing. You aint gotta thing if you aint got that swing...

So Im going to record the snare alone and a new hi hat pattern here at the house and blend it in to see if I can get a little more swing into it...
    Was listening to the first track of The Thes...Mind Bomb that I mentioned earlier...and they have a snare roll blending in under the main snare for some movement and swing...

anyway thanks for the thoughts, I will post some samples when its all said and done.

ru -- yeah, if these songs take off at all, even on a local level.....I will hire/consider recutting the drums with a pro but I dont really want to do that right now for a couple of reasons....
    post edited by esmail1 - 2007/11/04 21:16:23
    esmail1
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 21:16:40 (permalink)
    post edited by esmail1 - 2007/11/05 02:50:36
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 23:17:13 (permalink)
    I read through the replies, agree with most everything as I am one of those who really zeros in on the drum groove/kick/bass relationship.
    In your sample, the timing is off enough to really kill any sort of groove. If this was midi it could be cleaned up with some quantizing.
    Honestly, I think you'd get better results with something like EZDrummer or BFD.

EDIT...Apparently esmail1 removed the post with a link to a mp3 of his drumming.
    post edited by RLD - 2007/11/05 11:27:58
    droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 23:30:53 (permalink)
    no, i quantize by hand... i've gotten some decent results that way, but it takes forever, and so i never spend the kind of time to get it "right." i do have a keyboard but my keyboarding skills are quite rusty and my p4 and low latency don't get along. i've thought about a drum pad, just haven't gotten around to trying one out.

A drum pad makes all the difference. A keyboard is almost impossible to really play drums on. There's so much travel on the keys that it's not at all like hitting a drum. It takes a while to get fluent on a drum pad, but you really can get enormously more realistic results. I'm using a padKontrol which is nice, but it takes a fair amount of restraint because the pads are pretty sensitive, even with the sensitivity cranked all the way down. It's easy to just start pounding when you are getting into it. But, the good side is that if you develop that light touch, you can much more easily do multi-finger playing instead of just the index finger on each hand type of thing.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/04 23:46:57 (permalink)
    Speaking as a (ex-)drummer, the hardest thing I had to do when recording with a group was the 'feel' aspect - playing live its really easy to groove and do various change-ups to accent whatever you wanted to do. Listen to Cream live and you'll here Ginger Baker getting completely out of step (as do Clapton and Bruce) on occasion, but everything comes back together when it needs to - recording that is impossible (unless it is live) because a lot of time you're not even playing on the same day as the rest of the band. The only time I've been perfectly happy is when I've been allowed to play an imperfect part and then get to come back and play to what the rest of the group had done. Or a variation of that: play the whole piece as an ensemble, then come back in and replay your part separately.... of course, none of this helps with the OP's problem... all I can do is concur with yep in that if your percussion is tightly synced (I don't think lock-step is quite necessary) with the bass (and somewhat with the rhythm guitar) then it will sound a lot better than if you have a sloppy groove. Since you already have the tracks, just use what tools you can to fix that sound as best you can. Otherwise, finish the track and then re-record the drums....

CMWright
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 00:25:48 (permalink)
    Have you ever thought about investing in a Roland V drum set. #1 this will not bug your neibors and the v drums alsmost feel like your playing regular drums. #2 you wont have to worry about mic'ing and th eplacement of mic's and the time it taskes to get it right. #3 you can get something like BFD or EZdrummer to get your samples from #4 you wont have to pre record anymore and cut and paste fills.
    I use them and i like them and this way you still get the live feel instead of the robot grooves you get when cutting and pasting pre existing patterns.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 00:47:20 (permalink)
    Personally, I'd prefer a ZenDrum. I'd love to have one of those and I think it would be a great way to input drums.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 01:10:40 (permalink)
    What is Zendrum. Dont tell me, ill look it up
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 01:22:45 (permalink)
    http://www.zendrum.com/

Watch the first video here on the BFD tutorials page:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=10&tab=84

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 07:44:41 (permalink)
    Holy Cow, Dean! v cool! now how can I talk the little lady into letting me have one? Well, Christmas is coming up...

CMWright
    DaveClark
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 13:28:01 (permalink)
    Hi serauk,

Thanks for posting this:

...if your percussion is tightly synced (I don't think lock-step is quite necessary)...

I recently had a drum track that was about 10 msec off, and I could tell something was wrong. But some drummers are bothered by 2 msec timing errors, which I probably never would have noticed. As a drummer, your "tightly synced" may very well be our "lock-step," wouldn't you agree?

If you as a drummer say that we merely need to have it "tightly synced," those of us who are not drummers need to be sure what you mean by that so that when we mix something, we aren't using the wrong time scale.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 13:39:13 (permalink)
    As someone pointed out in another thread, there's no way that someone is going to be thrown off by a 2ms delay. I didn't check his math, but I assume he was correct in calculating that it takes about 3ms just for the sound from the live drums to get to the drummer's ears when playing a real drums set, because of travel time at the speed of sound. If that's correct, it seems unlikely that if 3ms is present in the real live environment, which I'm sure to any drummer sounds instantaneous, then 2ms is not remotely noticeable. I think people always think that they have greater abilities to discern these things than they really do when tested.

Also, if that's correct, BTW, in a close mic'd situation, the sound being recorded would actually a couple ms *ahead* of what the drummer is hearing from his own drums.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    DaveClark
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 15:00:42 (permalink)
    Hi Dean,

...there's no way that someone is going to be thrown off by a 2ms delay...

I certainly wouldn't be! I'm just trying to determine what "tightly synced" means when translated from drummer-speak to engineer-speak.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

On edit: I'm not familiar with the thread you mentioned about delays, but a 2 msec delay in the context I've used it here is relative, not absolute. That is, arguments about travel time don't apply.

post edited by DaveClark - 2007/11/05 15:17:36
    droddey
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 15:33:59 (permalink)
    Even then though, it still kind of applies. If there's a 3ms delay in live drumming, just to the drummer himself, not to mention the other musicians who are reacting to it, then a 2 ms offset of the drum track would be tiny. If you look at doing fake double tracking, you have to delay one copy of the track more than a few ms just to keep it from collapsing to a center image completely, because a couple ms is so small a time that we don't hear any meaningful difference between arrival time to the left and right ear.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 18:06:50 (permalink)
    I would like to add a very small 2 cents...

I know exactly what you are agonizing over. I have lost track (pun intended) how many times drummers come in and try to play to a click (or not) and want things quantized (or not) and there just doesn't seem to be a good answer to why the drums don't sound right. I have literally spent days on tracks like this trying every trick in the book to get them to sound right. What usually happens is that you will get them sounding right, come back a few days later and go - uck what was I thinking - "that sounds like crap".

Occasionally, (very occasionally if you ask me), studio trickery works and you get lucky and move on. But it's been my personal experience that you are better off rethinking all this and retrack new drums. I have found, that usually when you do that, it usually comes out better in the long run. That has been my experience anyway.

However, having said that, I had a drummer in here earlier this year trying to lay down drums to a cover version of Jony Mitchells' Both Sides Now. The tempo was painfully slow (it had to be for this version they were working on) and the drummer just could not play that slow. It took three different sessions to finally realize it wasn't working (and we ended up sequencing a drum part on a PC which was perfect for the track).

I've had R&B guys come in here and lay down a really nice swinging groove and then they want me to quantize it which took all the soul out of the track. Hours and hours of work down the drain. The problem is compounded when you don't realize the drum track is off and add 80 tracks of instruments over the top of said drum track only to discover after a month's worth of tracking that the drum track isn't right at which point you try to quantize the drums only to make everything else not sound right in the process. I've seen this happen. It's not pretty.

I say byte the bullet and retrack unless you think you can massage it to at least 3rd base. Good luck!
    post edited by krizrox - 2007/11/05 18:42:00

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Tempo Obsession 2007/11/05 19:49:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey

A drum pad makes all the difference. A keyboard is almost impossible to really play drums on. There's so much travel on the keys that it's not at all like hitting a drum. It takes a while to get fluent on a drum pad, but you really can get enormously more realistic results. I'm using a padKontrol which is nice, but it takes a fair amount of restraint because the pads are pretty sensitive, even with the sensitivity cranked all the way down. It's easy to just start pounding when you are getting into it. But, the good side is that if you develop that light touch, you can much more easily do multi-finger playing instead of just the index finger on each hand type of thing.

not a bad price on the padkontrol... might be worth it for me in the time it would save. i hate trying to lay down a groove by hand, i'd much rather tap it in.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1