Tempo Synced Instruments - A Lesson Learned

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/07/16 15:21:15 (permalink)

Tempo Synced Instruments - A Lesson Learned

Here is a bit of info that may save someone else some grief.

I was using the strum engine in one of the Orange Tree Guitars for Kontakt. All good until I inserted a tempo change in Sonar. I was quite perplexed when the OTS strum engine did not respond to the tempo change until half a bar later, putting it out of sync with the other instruments and causing much head scratching.

There was a chord change half way through the bar and on inspection the tempo change kicked in on the chord change. What I needed to do was insert the tempo change a few ticks before the start of the bar. That done the OTS guitar kicked the bar off in the correct tempo and everything was fine.

I have grown use to placing key switches a few clicks ahead but this is the first time I needed to do it with a tempo change. This could have been something limited to Orange Tree's scripting or it may occur with other tempo synced instruments, but with OTS the tempo change must be received before the chord is triggered. This means it could be difficult to achieve a smooth Accelerando or Rallentando with these instruments but splitting the chord into chuncks in the PRV and inserting tempo changes just before each split is a work around that can approximate the effect.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1