Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip.

Author
clegs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2016/06/21 13:38:32 (permalink)

Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip.

Sonar Professional
Problem: Can’t sync up my measures correctly and have Sonar sense correct tempo and meter using Set Project Tempo From Clip.

First: I apologize for the long post and request. I’m fairly new to Sonar and the technology (although I have a lot of analog engineering and recording background), and the Cakewalk Support People have been MIA.  Also, FYI - I’ve read, studied, and tried the manual info.

Background: 24 track recording were done on Alesis HD24 a while back.  Used HD24 Tools to convert tracks/songs to wave files, and made available to Sonar (no problems in that regard).  Note: No Midi was used on these tracks/songs.  I have been dubbing/recording and premixing with effects and processing without issue, but the tempo Sonar is displaying, and the track orientation to the 1-beat, and the actual bar meter in reference to the tracks, is incorrect.

Objective: To use the Set Project Tempo from Clip (or any other function needed) to get a song’s correct measure sync, meter, and tempo.

I had a phone/go-to-meeting session with the Support People, and they/he tried, but could not solve the problem.  They were going to research and get back to me.  He did let me know that he had a solution, but didn’t call me back on the appt time we booked, and they have not responded since to my other inquiries in regard to the case #’s.

All the songs have 4 beats per measure click tracks (generated in the original HD24 recording), so that is what we used to Set Project Tempo From Clip (we also tried the snare track when the click track didn't work).  The result was 60 bpm, instead of the actual 120 bpm, and the beats per measure were off, and measures were not aligned to the 1-beat.
We did get the tempo correct in one instance (120 bpm), but on all the other tries, it would only interpret 60 bpm, also the beats per measure and 1-beat were still off.

Support said it may be because there was blank space at the beginning of the track before the click and count starts.  He rushed thru the process to globally delete this space on all the tracks/clips, but he blasted thru it and did give explanation of what he was doing, and I didn’t get the process down.

Request: Can anyone give me some specific, detailed suggestions to: 1) Globally delete the blank space at the beginning of the song tracks (if you think that is the issue), 2) Deal with the Set Project Tempo From Clip process (or any other available process), so that I get the 4/4 meter, with the 1-beat lined up correctly, with the correct tempo?  Thanks for your help.

13 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/21 16:14:18 (permalink)
    Hi, and welcome to this forum. I would try to use Melodyne in percussive mode as an Region FX, and then drag the clip (you wish to use as base for the tempo) up to the timeline until it turns blue, and drop. This should calculate the tempo (and tempo map) for you. Hope it helps.
    All the best.
    Edit: For best result, try matching the tempo as close as possible first. And use correct beat.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

clegs
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/22 11:58:48 (permalink)
    Great.  Thanks Ken. I'll let you know the result when I get a chance to try your suggestion.  Any ideas on why the Project Tempo to Clip is not doing the job it was created to do?  It seems that if it can't interpret a 4 beat click track's tempo correctly, there is something lacking in that tools design.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/22 13:50:05 (permalink)
    I'm a little confused that the tracks are not already aligned to the project since you indicated they were recorded to a 120BPM click, and SONAR's default tempo for new projects tends to be 120 for most templates. So even if you didn't explicitly ensure the project tempo was matching before importing the audio, it should have been.

In any case, if the project is something other than 120, and the tracks were all recorded to a 120BPM click, all you have to do is this:

- Snap the Now time to the measure equal to current tempo + 1.
    - Shift+M to bring up Set Measure/Beat At Now (SM/BAN), enter measure 121, and OK.
    - SONAR will change the initial project tempo to 120 from whatever it was, shifting the timeline around the audio without altering the absolute playback timing or relative start times of existing clips.
    - If none of the clips started at time zero, you'll now need to select them all as a group, and drag them to align the the first transient with the correct measure/beat in the timeline.
    - Note that SM/BAN will also insert a tempo of 120 at the measure and beat that you set. Since that tempo matches the initial tempo, you can just delete it since you won't be setting any additional points.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/22 18:55:51 (permalink)
    clegs
    Great.  Thanks Ken. I'll let you know the result when I get a chance to try your suggestion.  Any ideas on why the Project Tempo to Clip is not doing the job it was created to do?  It seems that if it can't interpret a 4 beat click track's tempo correctly, there is something lacking in that tools design.

The process of tempo detection that Ken describes is a much more recent and functionally richer feature than project tempo from clip. Saying that something is lackling in the original tool is a bit like saying the wheel was poorly invented because it was not immediately attached to a Porsche 911:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/22 20:37:16 (permalink)
    tenfoot
    [Melodyne's tempo detection] is a much more recent and functionally richer feature than project tempo from clip.

I can't really agree with 'functionally richer' in general, and it's definitely not the case if you haven't upgraded Melodyne from the Essential version bundled with SONAR. 'Set Project from Clip' has some powerful features and considerable flexibility, but by the same token, you can't just 'press the button' and expect everything to magically fall in place in every case. Based on several threads I've seen about Melodyne, and my own experience with Essential, I'm not seeing that it's any better than Audiosnap in this respect; with either tool, the average tempo guess can easily be off by a factor of two, and you get out what you put into it in terms of the quality of the result for the time invested.

In the case of Audiosnap, this means going into 'Edit Clip Tempo Map', choosing the correct tempo multiple and beats per measure, making sure the beat marker for 1:01 is on the correct transient, and possibly tweaking other beat markers if there are detection errors. Also, in the case that the tempo is expected to be constant, you would want to change the mode for the 'Set Project' button to Clip, rather than the default, Beat, or Measure.

I would still say Set Measure/Beat At Now is the preferred tool for this job. But FWIW I just tested 'Set Project' using a fixed-tempo click track in a mixed MIDI-Audio project with the project tempo deliberately out of sync, and it worked like a charm with no tweaks other than choosing the correct tempo multiple from the offerings in Edit Clip Tempo Map, and setting the mode to Clip as mentioned above.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/22 21:28:59 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    [
    I can't really agree with 'functionally richer' in general, and it's definitely not the case if you haven't upgraded Melodyne from the Essential version bundled with Sonar.

You are right Brundlefly - I expressed that poorly, but I do find it easier to get a good result quickly, out of the gate with melodyne's new tempo mapping.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    clegs
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/23 13:00:46 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks so much for all the input and suggestions.  I'll be back in town and going to try to dive into it this weekend hopefully, and will update my progress when available.
    Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/23 15:08:05 (permalink)
    Give us some feedback as to how it goes.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2016/06/23 19:38:46 (permalink)
    I use an HD24 for live tracking as well. Karl Rose aka Fast Biker Boy posted some videos a while back:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR7WkHywTo I've used this method and it works well. It also makes use of the shift+m command and tab to transients. If you have a recorded click track it helps. Melodyne's tempo mapping is relatively new. Celemony has some videos on their youtube channel that are helpful. I think the Groove 3 Sonar Platinum Advanced video has a chapter on this as well.
     On a side note are you aware of HD24 tools? It was a life saver for me when the Alesis HD connect software wouldn't work on my machine. Good luck and report back.

Rocky
    clegs
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2017/05/24 02:08:29 (permalink)
    Wow, sorry to wait a year to get back to you . . . very busy with other stuff.  FYI - I upgraded to Platinum from Professional.

I was only able to get an accurate tempo calculation from Ken's Melodyne suggestion.  It was 124 B PMdead on.  Actually, I only had 4 bars of click at the beginning of this particular song (the rest of the click trk was recorded over when I only had 24 trks on my HD24). I selected that clip section, then click Region FX>Melodyne, and without dragging the clip to the Time Ruler, Melodyne did it's thing and gave me the correct tempo, which I input in the Tempo View and it was all good, perfect, all the measures lined up.  However, a post HD24 vocal track that was recorded in Sonar was out of sync and I have to manually correct it's position. Anybody have ideas on why this happened? It's like Sonar didn't didn't treat it as part of the other tracks.  This also happened anytime I tried to use the Set Measure Beat to Now Time trick.

I had another related problem, which was not being able to correct Beat 1 (Sonar was showing beat 1 as beat 2). I was getting error and can't-do messages.  Ken's Karl Rose Video suggestion  cleared that part up. You have to use the Audio Snap Pallet Edit Clip Map on a solid track like the snare or kick (or click), then at the beginning of the song, drag Measure 1 Beat 1 (1:1) marker to the actual first beat of the song.  Then, you must correct the beats before 1:1 (the count or whatever section) to be in the correct order (Ex: 0:1, 0:4, 0.3, 0:2, etc., to 0:1, 0:2, 0:3, 0:4); then you won't get error messages when you try to use the Set Measure Beat to Now Time.  Once that's done, (if you don't have the correct tempo for the song calculated or the tempo varies) you can go thru the song from beginning to end and watch the transients and if they drift off the measures, stop and drag the drifted transient (all the measures following it will also move) and allow it to Snap To Grid to the correct measure.  As you progress thru the song, you'll see that the tempo will show changes, but if the song tempo is fairly consistant, will show as more accurate, and all the measures and beats will line up correctly.  After you're through, go to the Tempo View and review the tempo throughout the song.

I think this is only going to be a problem on projects recorded out of Sonar (like my HD24 converted to wav files with a program called HD24 Tools, and imported into Sonar, or projects recorded without a click track or proper beginning (dead time) and count.  Note, Scott Garrigus's Sonar book is amazing and a must have, a great reference; however the solutions he suggested in the book did not work for me or cover the other things I discovered, but more likely they were just not understood well enough by me (probably the latter Scott).  

Thanks for your help and let me know what you think about the orphan track out of sync problem I mentioned in the first part of this post.  Thanks. :) -colin in Calif.
    clegs
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2017/05/25 21:59:40 (permalink)
    Thought I had it beaten, but I'm still having an issue with lining up the correct measure 1:1. Everything was going good until I couldn't get 0.1 to fall in line with 0.2, 0.3 0.4  in the count area (0.01 kept snapping back to a measure/beat way before.  Without this, at least I think this is the reason, I get "Unable to specify different measure or beat for start of project" when I try to use Set Measure Beat To Now Time at 1:01 from it's current position at 7:02.  I even tried setting it at 7:01, but no joy.  I'm sure others in my "imported project" situation must have run into this.  Hopefully your masterminds will figure it out for me. :) -colin in Calif.
    seriousfun
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2017/05/27 00:51:59 (permalink)
    The Post-HDR vocal didn't move with the rest of the clips. Before setting the project tempo, either drag the beginning of that clip to the very beginning of the timeline, or right click and Lock the clip position.

Doug Osborne
    clegs
    Re: Tempo, meter, 1-bar detection problems using Set Project Tempo From Clip. 2017/05/27 19:42:24 (permalink)
    Cool Doug, thanks.  Any tips of the other issues?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1