Author
yoe
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 277
2005/06/01 19:36:13 (permalink)

Tempo question

I'm kind'a new at this, but

i have a question.

so i recorded the intro to a song. its a very nice, long intro, it has 3 tracks of strings, and 2 tracks of cool recorded effects,
and it was recorded at tempo 70!
(note we are talking about wave recordings and not midi)

i know how to change the tempo, and even change the tempo of the wave files.
but what i want to do is, slowly increase the tempo over a period of one minute!

i want it to start at 65 after 40 secondes go to 68 after another 20 seconds go to 72 and so on...

and i want it to transform the recordings so that tempo at that time only.

am i making myself clear?

Yoav out!

5 Replies Related Threads

themanster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Tempo question 2005/06/01 21:14:58 (permalink)
    What may be helpful would be the version of SONAR you are using.
    jphilpit
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Tempo question 2005/06/01 23:52:12 (permalink)
    If you have only audio tracks, then changing the tempo setting in Sonar makes no difference.

If you are using Sonar 4, then you can do some time stretching/compressing. Look up "time stretching" in the help or see it discussed starting on page 395 in the Sonar 4 manual. The idea behind time stretching is that it's like speeding up or slowing down a vinyl record WITHOUT changing the pitch. It works pretty well (as long as you don't change the speed too much), but it's not yet perfect technology.

If you're running Sonar 3 or earlier, then there's no way to do the time stretching natively in Sonar. There are plugins and external signal processors you can use, but I have nothing to recommend; I'm totally a MIDI composer.

John

John Philpit
    Windows XP, 2GB RAM, 2.4GHz dual-core P4, MA FireWire410, S7PE, Sibelius 5, all the EastWest PLAY products
    Dimuthu_DeeJay
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Tempo question 2005/06/02 00:29:54 (permalink)
    Need sonar version,
    Do you use MIDI or only Waves?

www.myspace.com/dimuthu

Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Tempo question 2005/06/02 12:37:49 (permalink)
    i know how to change the tempo, and even change the tempo of the wave files.
    but what i want to do is, slowly increase the tempo over a period of one minute!

hey yoe .. as you see guys here usually read just some of the first lines ( the GIRLS do read everything ;)
    so no wonder you get such answers.. i wonder if at least now they would read what was your REAL request (above)

jphilpit got it right ! - i must add .. you should work each time on a selected region of a few measures (even one measure at a time..depends how FINE you need the tempo to go up over time) and then use time stretching to bring the tempo up gradually ...each selection would have just one tempo so that's why you got to split it and work in smaller selections.

Sonar 3 and before - you MIGHT have the older time/pitch audio fx from older versions (if you had them) or maybe these are on the cd's as an optional installation ( can't remember what was the case with each of the versions)

I KNOW..... I KNOW............ i knowww

talkin about MIDI , man ? or maybe audio ? hmmm

Which Version of Sonar ? ( like this even matters that much..)

blah blahhh

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: Tempo question 2005/06/02 13:49:02 (permalink)
    I would suggest a different approach. Since you recorded the original audio at a constant tempo, it's fairly straightforward to split it into measures or sections, so make a clone of the applicable tracks and do the following:

• Split the original audio clips at each measure, or every two measures, or even every four measures - whatever yields a manageable balance between clip length and number of clips, based on the complete length of the intro. I wouldn't recommend making the resulting clips longer than 8 measures each, though.
    • Apply Trimming to all of the resulting clips.
    • Double-click each clip to open it in Loop Construction View. You can either enable looping or enable tempo-matching; I personally prefer to enable looping, and make sure that the number of beats accurately reflects the clip length (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read the manual to learn about Loop Construction View and Groove Clips). I would recommend setting the transient detect threshold to 100%, and you may also want to specify a note-length slice parameter, depending on how rhythmic the material is. You might have to play with these settings a bit after completing the rest of these instructions, to see what produces the least artifacts.
    • Once all of the audio is groove-enabled, you can change the project's tempo map as desired, and the audio will follow.

I would recommend this approach over the MPEX timestretching for two reasons: first, it allows you to play with different tempo changes, non-destructively, without having to wait for the audio to process each time. Second, this way you can even do a gradual "ramp" of a tempo change over time, which would be exceedingly difficult using the current MPEX interface. The tempo difference you're trying to achieve isn't that drastically different from your original tempo, so you really shouldn't get any major artifacts if you set your groove-clip paramters properly.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1