Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Elvenking
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
2007/05/19 02:05:28 (permalink)

Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration

Okay. Back in 1991, Brad Fiedel did a masterpiece of work when he brought his original theme song from the original Terminator into modern times with a much more powerful version of the original. I decided that 16 years was long enough and made my own update to the song. Brad, if yer listening, I hope I did you proud. Very interested in what people have to say. Hope this is okay Brad. ;) Anyway. Please give this a listen. also, if you have the opportunity...burn this to a CD...and put it on something with a sub woofer. Whoo hoo... Anyway, check it out...leave feedback. Thanks for listening if ya do.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/default.cfm?bandID=537561&content=music

BTW: Best results from downloading mp3 and playing that. Otherwise you get the limitations of streaming audio.

Cheers

-Stephen
post edited by Elvenking - 2007/05/19 21:04:25

31 Replies Related Threads

Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 08:20:42 (permalink)
    Holy crow...don't need the sub, as I am listening on AKG K701s, and my head is getting narrower. Going to the monitors now...VERY, VERY well done! I have nothing more to say right now, because I am emotionally into this...perhaps after another listen or two I can come up with a nit or two...doubt it...well done!

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 12:26:43 (permalink)
    Wow, I am glad that you liked it! Thank you for listening and leaving a bit of feedback. It is much appreciated.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 12:41:08 (permalink)
    Can't listen just yet, but just wanted to say I thought I was the only lefthanded woodchuck here.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 12:46:30 (permalink)
    Hehehehe...yep....he's a lefty alright!

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

Can't listen just yet, but just wanted to say I thought I was the only lefthanded woodchuck here.

Randy

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 17:47:27 (permalink)
    Stephen,

Very nice mix. Nice full bodied orchestration. Great bass control and presence. Sounds great cranked waaay up !!

Bill
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/19 18:22:54 (permalink)
    Thank you for the comments. Your remarks are what I would hope for because I strived to get some decent balance. I am still updating the song a bit now. Making sure.

Yes, I wish I could get everyone to slap this on a system with some good bottom end. The thing will rock the walls. The rumbling of the Wagner Bass Drum...and the explosions will throw some voice coils.
    post edited by Elvenking - 2007/05/19 18:27:38
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 00:39:58 (permalink)
    Sent it off to Brad's relations manager. Hoping to hear something back from the creator himself. 'Till then...please spin this once and let me know the impressions. This is a learning experience for me as this is my first shot at orchestration. Thanks for the feedback.
    Sean*O
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 190
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 04:32:08 (permalink)
    Turned out real sweet, eh? Let me know when the final tweeking is done and I'll be back... :)
    post edited by Sean*O - 2007/05/20 04:35:19
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 12:00:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sean*O

...I'll be back... :)

Hehehehe....fitting.
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 15:02:33 (permalink)
    Amazing wall of sound. I forgot how cool that theme was. Sounds like you nailed it. Love the cymbal washes. Very dynamic.

Ed Edge

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 18:35:38 (permalink)
    EK,
    Very well done! Good dynamics and a very emotional piece. I don't have a sub, but, this still sounds ver good.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 18:58:44 (permalink)
    Elevenking,

love your avatar.....
    hey ...great job on the tune...

seems you nailed that Ballsy Sound that Hollywood film scores have...

OT:my fave is H...Zimmer ....I love how they can strike terror in film music
    I listen to film music often and wonder why my music sounds wimpy...in comparison..

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 19:11:30 (permalink)
    Hey guys...thank you for the comments. I appreciate hearing that I was able to achieve what I set out to do. It was a great project, and I have Brad Fiedel to thank for a great original piece to work with. This was indeed a fun song to pump up.

Thank you all again for listening and leaving some feedback. It still sounds great without a sub, but if you ahve the chance...it's a hell of a thing to hear whats going on at 80Hz and below.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 20:02:10 (permalink)
    That was great. Production is excellant. I just saw T2 today on the upper, upper cable channels. How cool is that...

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 20:49:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: marcos69

That was great. Production is excellant. I just saw T2 today on the upper, upper cable channels. How cool is that...

Hey, thanks for listening. I have been meaning to watch the movie again. It has been a while. What a great flick. Sci-fi the way it is supposed to be.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 23:10:54 (permalink)
    Massive!

Very well done.
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/20 23:22:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Massive!

Very well done.

Thanks. Thank you for listening...'massive' is a great compliment.
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/21 05:29:55 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen, one of very favourite movie themes...never fails to make the hairs stand up!

You've done a terrific job on this, huge sound with some beautiful details.

Excellent piece of work, I hope he gives you some feedback.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/21 11:06:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Hi Stephen, one of very favourite movie themes...never fails to make the hairs stand up!

You've done a terrific job on this, huge sound with some beautiful details.

Excellent piece of work, I hope he gives you some feedback.

Thanks for the feedback James. It is nice to know that it is one of your favorite themes, and that I did not change that. Hheheheh. Funniest thing was, I was just in the kitchen washing some dishes one night, humming that theme...thought to myself, "Man, that would be a great tune to remix." I already miss working on it. But I am also happy to hear the vision realized.

Thank you again for your great comments.
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/21 11:46:30 (permalink)
    Love this theme and you've definitely done it justice. Excellent work.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/21 12:09:12 (permalink)
    Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for taking the time to listen.
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/21 22:41:31 (permalink)
    Ok...last call...if anyone wants to bring on suggestions and such. Just looking for feedback. THanks again.
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/23 23:48:21 (permalink)
    Okay, I think I am done making little adjustments here and there. I increased some sounds that were a little buried, ran it through a multi-band compressor for some final adjustments. Light limiting...I didn;t crank this thing through the roof because dynamics are important. Blah...blah....check it out. I am happy to hear of any comments. Its great to recieve positive comments , but some suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks to all who have listened. This forum is a constant source of great information, and I believe that we all become better mixers/masterers taking some of the advice on these forums.

In this day...this age, there is nothing you cannot be...nothing you cannot achieve....you are limited, only by your desire.

Cheers all!

-Stephen

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/default.cfm?bandID=537561&content=music
    post edited by Elvenking - 2007/05/23 23:54:49
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/24 09:58:47 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen - I didn't get a chance to listen to this until now. This is really done well. I love the theme anyway - it's a really powerful piece and you've really brought it to a new level with your version! It's outstanding!

I'm listening on crappy $2 headphones at work thru an onboard sound chip, so my listening environment is crap. I wanted you to take that into consideration with my comments.

I'm hearing very little low end on this - again, consider the listening environment, so what I'm saying here is that it doesn't translate well to all platforms. And that's probably OK with you since you're not pitching for an environment like this...just wanted to mention that.

in the beginning of the piece, the strings sound just a little thin to me - I would like to have heard a little more broadening of the ensemble there. I'm not sure if that's because of the soundcard or because of the way you mixed it.

some of the drum sounds are a little on the top side of the eq as well and might could use a little cut in the high range.

I love the swells you've placed in the piece. cymbals really stand out, but not more than they should - excellent job there. love the build at the end with the synth. excellent work!

again - my critique is based on what I'm hearing thru my crappy sound, so take it or leave it. I'll listen to this again at home and see how different it is!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/24 11:14:59 (permalink)
    I do appreciate these kinds of suggestions. However, when I turn this up on my Event ASP 8 monitors, I don;t quite hear all the deficiencies you mention. I finally got a hold of some blank CD's and I am going to burn it to disk and see how well it ports over to home/car stereos and such.

At the beginning of the song, it does sound a little thinner than the rest, as it is supposed to just be a prelude to what is coming. Toward the middle, it opens up and thickens pretty good. I am not trying to deflect suggestions, just conveying that is was somewhat of an artistic choice there.

The high end in the drums, I did wrestle with that one for a while. I shelved it up, then brought it down more times than I can tell you. In the end, I tried to comprimise as closely as possible to what sounded in the middle. When I port this to some more consumer equipment, I will know for sure. But I will watch that area in particular. Thanks for the tip.

The bass, I am sure you will not find lacking on a decent set-up.

I am still interested in what you hear on your setup at home. Thanks for checking it out. Much appreciated.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/24 19:24:25 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen.

first of all, let me say that I love this piece anyway - always have since the movie came out.

I listened to this on my DAW first. I streamed it from soundclick. I only have cheap reference monitors. M-audio DX4's. But they will pump out a little bass when I ask them to. Maybe not enough - but they will give me some.

I'm still not hearing very much low end on this tune. It still sounds pretty thin and high ended on the drums. the strings sound much better here - not nearly as thin. but the bass is not doing for me what I would think this tune should. I would think I'd hear my chest thumping with bass when I crank this, but it's not anywhere near that. very thin and high ended sounding.

so....I downloaded the mp3 and burned it to a CD and put it on my home stereo. It's not a high end home theater, but it's decent and I have a powered sub. should do the trick, right? well....I turned off the surround and played it in stereo only, flatlined the EQ and the bass simply was not there. it actually sounded WORSE...very high and brittle sounding. then I realized that when I turned off the surround sound, I also turned off the sub. so I turned the subwoofer back on and THEN I could hear the low end! NOW my ceiling fan was rattling! THAT'S what I wanted to hear! BOOM, BOOM, baby!!!

my stereo speakers have a decent range, so I'm thinking that it's possible that without a subwoofer you're not going to hear too much of the low end on this song and that's ashame because it really rocks when that bass comes thru! You might want to look at translation of the low end on systems that don't have a subwoofer. but....that's just my 2cents!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/25 11:13:46 (permalink)
    Okay, sounds like you had a chance to play it on a few systems. Last night, I was out at a company event so I STILL have not had a chance to play this any place else. LOL. Man...time is a b**ch. Anyway, it's possible that I forced too much at the very low end and brought out the highs too bright. I am going to have to make some adjustments if that is the case.

I will critically take a look at the mid to low bass tonight and see if I might have let the extreme low end take too much bandwidth. Translation tests will begin tonight.

Thank you for taking the time to really examine the piece though. It is much appreciated. I will let you know what I do with it next.

On another note, Brad Fiedel is well protected by his talent agents, and I cannot get a single word to him. His agency replied with this yesterday.

Dear Mr. Gyves,

Thank you for your interest in Brad Fiedel.

Unfortunately, as a matter of strict company policy, we cannot accept any unsolicited materials for any of our clients. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All best,

So ends the effort to get it to him.
    post edited by Elvenking - 2007/05/25 11:33:31
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/25 23:34:27 (permalink)
    Okay...so on the way home I spun it in my car. I could hear the bass in the car. then when I got home, I slapped it on the home stereo system. My home system consists of two Polk towers with a 6.5 and a tweet, and an Energy 12 inch sun that sits in the closet. I have to say I was impressed. It is possible that it might be a little lacking in the mid-bass range...but man....everything that could rattle was shaking in the house. It was amazing....I was glowing with smiles as the sub woofer was just tearing down the walls. It was exactly as I hoped in that respect. I have to say, that if I was in a theatre, and I heard this at the opening of the Terminator movie, I would have been quite happy.

As an experiment, here is what I am going to try to do, I am going to put a little bump in the eq at around 80Hz, where most systems without a good sub seem to cut off a little bit. Then I will try the little experiment again, I will let you know what happens. Thanks again for burning the song and trying it on different sources. That is truly going beyond the call of duty.
    post edited by Elvenking - 2007/05/25 23:55:28
    Elvenking
    RE: Terminator 2 Theme Re-orchestration 2007/05/26 00:02:13 (permalink)
    Ok Mr. Beagle. Here is what I did...I gave the EQ a bump of about 2.4db at the 80Hz mark with a Q of about 7. Sounds a little better in the upper mids like that. Hopefully enough so. I also used a clip gain envelope to make the volume more uniform throughout the whole track. It seemed to lose a little wind from its sails when it moved from the intro hits...into the main melody. So I fixed that. If ya get a chance...give it a whirl again. Cheers...have good weekend.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1