Helpful ReplyThat stage fright medication works!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 09:13:22 (permalink)
eph221
Moshkito
craigb
How did Pedro turn this topic into psychic's and boxing??? 

Because you did not read it? 

Vote for Pedro!

One of the weirdest things ... I never have seen that movie, and don't even know which movie it is!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Moshkito
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 09:24:02 (permalink)
Beagle

All "extroverts" are bad actors and musicians?  that's a pretty broad generalism (and very narrow minded).

Good actors and good musicians are those who:
1) have at least a basic talent
2) practice that talent
3) have a consistent desire to improve

there is absolutely no generality regarding personality type which dictates "good" or "bad" musician.  there are all types of each in each personality type.

Thanks. 

I'm not sure that "talent" is even a requirement. I was given to work with newer folks, that did not even know if they had talent, but the ability was always there. The question is, like anything else in life, how you apply yourself, and study what you are doing. Some are better students than others.

As an example, DA was new to the stage, but had done a few small things here and there. When we got together, we were able to work out some neat stuff in rehearsal, up to and including psychic stuff, where you knew where the other "character" was thinking and what would happen next and was always ready for it. The end result, of an exceptional performance, which even a Professor of mine applauded my ability to get so much out of the actors, was that he was immediately chosen to play Iago, in the upcoming Willie runs. And DA, being the studious person that he was, had all the lines down in 3 weeks (that's insane, mind you ... over 600 lines of dialogue!), and then spent the next 3 weeks in rehearsal with hockey and football outfits bullying people around during the rehearsal, which immediately gave him an incredible edge ... and of course, he stole the show. A close friend of mine, after the performance when we met DA, even said ... wow, he's so soft spoken ... but it should tell you what preparation and desire to learn more about your part, can take you.

You take that to a music stage, and that person, will blow out the audience so fast, it won't be funny, but music rehearsals, are too much about the notes, not the performance, and this takes away a vital 3rd dimension in the performance, and in my book, this is the part that scares folks, because they do not know how to "get into it", enough, to allow it to live on "its own" ... which is so important and memorable in music in a handful of moments! IT'S NOT ALWAYS IN OUR EYES AND HEADS! IT'S ALSO IN THE PERFORMERS!

Reminds me of a set of words in MEATLOAF's book (fun reading and worth it!), and he says, that he's an actor that sings. And if he can't get into it, the song doesn't work! And this is the important part of it all ... you have to learn how to get into "character", and not be afraid of it.

Music is no different! 
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/07/28 09:45:43

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 14:54:31 (permalink)
A little late to the game, but this might help some others with stage fright.

I used to have debilitating anxiety when going onstage.  I really had to focus to get my fingers to the right frets, I couldn't be the one to start a song as my timing was competing with my insane heart rate, sweats, etc...

A bandmate saw me shaking before a show once and asked me these simple questions.
1.  Have you rehearsed enough to know what you need to play?  (yes)
2.  Do you trust that the rest of the band has rehearsed enough to know what they need to play?  (yes)
3.  Do you sound good? (yes)
4.  Do you look good?  (yes)
"After answering those 4 questions, you should be comfortable.  You're presenting exactly what you intend to. What the audience is thinking is irrelevant as long as YOU have yourself covered."

I've never had a lack of self-confidence (that i was aware of), but this cured me instantly and permanently.  If medicating yourself is what you need, then go for it.  But for those of us that don't get to that extreme, hopefully this can help.

I also read something decades ago that stuck with me that covered Question 1.  Sitting alone with no instrument, music, or distractions, mentally play every note of every song in the set.  When you can do that, you're ready.

post edited by Slugbaby - 2016/07/28 15:20:38

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 15:04:09 (permalink)
I was OK until question 4....unless 'looks like he's been set on fire and put out with an axe' is acceptable...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Slugbaby
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 15:11:04 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I was OK until question 4....unless 'looks like he's been set on fire and put out with an axe' is acceptable...

Lol, i was going to add (well, yes TO ME.  everyone else thinks i look weird).

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 15:29:23 (permalink)
Rehearsals don't have to be about the notes at all.  That is practice.  On your own.  Rehearsals can be totally about the performance itself with all the nuances and detail and emotion.  I have witnessed some nice music being played in rehearsal.  And thinking wow, pity no one else heard that.

I think the trick  is what Danny is saying too.  Once you really start to get into it, you start to feel good, and excited, not scared anymore.  Then your playing can go through the roof.

On the other side of the subconscious mind stuff, you can really start to imagine and believe amazing things as well, not just say bad things not happening, and then the amazing things start to happen too.  But you do need three things though.  Repetition, faith and expectancy.

If you suffer stage fright it is because you have told your subconscious mind that so it makes it happen.  Change your thoughts and you change your destiny.  This is Joseph Murphy now, not me, but I have applied the principal and I am convinced it works.  Craig I am glad you and others are interested in this as well.  It is fascinating stuff.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 15:29:44 (permalink)
jamesg1213

I thought the same thing - LOL!

As much as I tried, I simply never had the hair for the 80's - oh well! 

(That Rain is one lucky guy, eh?  Hehe...)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:04:20 (permalink)
craigb
jamesg1213

I thought the same thing - LOL!

As much as I tried, I simply never had the hair for the 80's - oh well! 

(That Rain is one lucky guy, eh?  Hehe...)

I did!  check out the mullet!!!

BTW - I didn't know it at the time, but that beautiful young woman seated in the front middle became Mrs. Beagle 26 years ago!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Slugbaby
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:14:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2016/07/28 16:39:35
Beagle

BTW - I didn't know it at the time, but that beautiful young woman seated in the front middle became Mrs. Beagle 26 years ago!

Mrs. Beagle was a front-row girl?  You're lucky.  
I remember one show where 4 or 5 girls were up front, ogling me (i thought i had something on my face...).  Mrs Slugbaby walked onstage, smiled at them, kissed me on the cheek, and walked back offstage.  Suddenly there was a vacant space in front of stage left...

craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:22:03 (permalink)

(Oh yeah, nice catch Beagle!  )

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:23:05 (permalink)
#4 that's the one huh ? I feel you on that fellas  .  I'm getting there my self 

Thought I may bring up a couple of things that I feel could be contributing factors along the lines of the topic  ...
We are all individuals , so I will preface this with I'm just stating my opinion ...

I'm gonna change my point of view in this discussion from stage fright to stress ...
I have to approach it that way because  as I mentioned before I generally have a general acceptance that the butterfly's are my friend and they OK ....

Stress concerning all that leads up to the performance itself on the other hand can have debilitating effects ...
As a rule , I'm actually relieved to be setting my stuff up once I finally hit the stage ...

I was playing out sporadically up until about 2 1/2 years ago and here's a few things I've had to contend with ...
How safe is this place I'm Playing ?
Is there a private area where I can keep my gear safe while the other band is on ? or do I have to bring my guitar in the bathroom every time I need to take a piss ?
Do they have parking and an area where I can unload my gear ? or do I have to park 3 or 4 blocks away and schlep my whole rig by foot through the ghetto  ?
Do they have any accommodation whatsoever for the talent where I can chill out in private and find my center ? or do I have to sit there and listen to some dude that forgot to take his meds right before I set up .
How much driving do I have to do to get to the Gig ? Are they gonna pay me so I can be able to get gas to get home ?
I've had it happen where I was so broke I drove my Jalopy 2hours plus with only enough gas to get to the gig ....

The people I'm playing with ..whats the deal on them ? Have I played with them before ? or is this the first time ...
Do they have integrity ? are they honest ? Would I trust them with my life or my gear ?
Are they gonna pay me what they said ? or are they gonna tell me a different story when I get there .
Does the place have a stage ? a sound man ? security , or am I gonna be playing in a club that only has a dance floor that doubles as a stage / dance floor ...
I played one place local to me where I have had drunk people that thought they had dance moves  sliding into my pedal board and amp with as much gusto as a world series run on home plate ...
One time a lady tripped into the mic stand and the singer who was sitting because he was also playing keys literally had the mic slam into his mouth .....
How righteous is the owner of the club / establishment ? Does he or she do promotion for the shows? does he not ...
Is he or she  one of these guys/ gals  that think you need the exposure so they can pay you short money or get you to play for free ? or is this a solid cat that can find ways to keep making it worthwhile to the band as the ball starts picking up and his club is full while his competitors clubs are empty on the nights when the band your in is playing ...
I haven't had a drink or done any drugs in 33 years once  August 12 come's , ODAT....
Is the club offering the band free booze as part of the payment ? that sure don't work for me ....
Is the band running a tab ? that also sure don't work for me ....

Any way I could go on and on ..which I won't ..I think we all get the Idea ....
It is my opinion that some of the side issues I 've brought up get lumped in and contribute to a lot of stress and anxiety ...that could contribute to stage fright ....

all the best,

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:30:29 (permalink)
Very good points Kenny.

You reminded me of one particular pub gig where we turned up to be greeted at the door by 4 or 5 evil looking guys.

''You the band? You better be good, or you're ******* dead''

Concentrates the mind, that kind of thing.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:36:20 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Rehearsals don't have to be about the notes at all.  That is practice.  On your own.  Rehearsals can be totally about the performance itself with all the nuances and detail and emotion.  I have witnessed some nice music being played in rehearsal.  And thinking wow, pity no one else heard that.

I think the trick  is what Danny is saying too.  Once you really start to get into it, you start to feel good, and excited, not scared anymore.  Then your playing can go through the roof.

On the other side of the subconscious mind stuff, you can really start to imagine and believe amazing things as well, not just say bad things not happening, and then the amazing things start to happen too.  But you do need three things though.  Repetition, faith and expectancy.

If you suffer stage fright it is because you have told your subconscious mind that so it makes it happen.  Change your thoughts and you change your destiny.  This is Joseph Murphy now, not me, but I have applied the principal and I am convinced it works.  Craig I am glad you and others are interested in this as well.  It is fascinating stuff.

This reminds me of the many, many CG'ers who have tried to crack the performance anxiety nut.  Aaron Sherer had this formula that basically turned into a cult, as did others.  The truth is, if you struggle seek out professionals, either MD's or Phd's and talk it through.  Important point:  your TEACHERS generally will not help you.  1.  because often they are competing against you (unconsciously or otherwise, esp in the CG world) and 2. they often are unanalyzed themselves.  Go outside of your usual network..to groups like AA or others.  THOSE are the helpful places, far removed from music itself.  My two cents!!!!
craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/28 16:40:09 (permalink)
Every time I happened to help friends setup at a new place (or was playing roadie) I would always take an outlet tester and check the power receptacles.  All you need is for one to be wired backwards to not only screw up gear, but it could be potentially fatal if someone plugged in to one socket touches another person plugged in to the wired backwards socket.

You ought to clean up that list and make it into a nice "Kenny's Gigging Tips" sheet! 

eph221
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/30 18:34:13 (permalink)
I forgot to mention for the introverted and geeky musicians:  theology and philosophy helps alot.  If you can spend some time conversing with the saints you'll be better for it.
post edited by eph221 - 2016/07/30 18:55:15
craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/30 22:36:05 (permalink)
Just put down the Kool-Aid and back away from the TV eph! 

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/30 22:55:40 (permalink)
eph221
I forgot to mention for the introverted and geeky musicians:  theology and philosophy helps alot.  If you can spend some time conversing with the saints you'll be better for it.

As a life long student of philosophy and religion, currently way over my head into the study of Judaism, I beg to differ. If anything, it only makes me more of a recluse (if that's actually possible). But then, I'm an extreme case of geek-ism, too.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/30 23:19:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2016/07/31 00:02:17
I wonder if there's a new genre in there someplace?  Gothic Geek Metal maybe?  

Rain
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/30 23:51:12 (permalink)
craigb
I wonder if there's a new genre in there someplace?  Gothic Geek Metal maybe?  

The "goth" people I am friends with are often "intellectuals", bookish people. I remember a writer referring to the Goth culture as some odd kind of offshoot of the old existentialist movement, which I thought held some truth. At least with the old school goths.

But then there's also a whole scene of people wearing latex and gas masks and suspending themselves from meat hooks who can hardly spell their name but call themselves goths too... Me, I'll stick with books and candles.

craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 06:12:50 (permalink)
I could never be part of the Goth scene, but I do love most of the music!

My preferred room is large, high up (for a great view of some country-side, mountain, meadows and lake) with lots of windows and mostly white with color added.

And this is the type of house I wouldn't mind having!  (I doubt you would see many Goths in this!).

eph221
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 08:13:54 (permalink)
craigb

My preferred room is large, high up (for a great view of some country-side, mountain, meadows and lake) with lots of windows and mostly white with color added.

And this is the type of house I wouldn't mind having!  (I doubt you would see many Goths in this!).

I'm different.  House:  shelter, car: gets me from point a to point b.  I'd much rather have a meal with poor people than rich people.  God knows only the poor are generous.
Moshkito
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 10:04:22 (permalink)
Slugbaby
A bandmate saw me shaking before a show once and asked me these simple questions.
1.  Have you rehearsed enough to know what you need to play?  (yes)
2.  Do you trust that the rest of the band has rehearsed enough to know what they need to play?  (yes)
3.  Do you sound good? (yes)
4.  Do you look good?  (yes)
"After answering those 4 questions, you should be comfortable.  You're presenting exactly what you intend to. What the audience is thinking is irrelevant as long as YOU have yourself covered."

I asked the girl about to go on stage for her first time ... the same 4 questions (with minimal variations, like do you know who you are saying the lines to?) ... and then the fatal error ... she pointed "out there" ... and I looked at her ... and said ... wait a minute.

(Questions chapter 2)

5. Which play are you in?
6. Where is the story?

So why the finger pointing?

Answer:
I don't know.

My final words. You are very good. You learned your lines well. You worked them great with the others. Now, it's time to go out there and have fun with the others. You might have to pause a little if they laugh ... that's OK, you can turn a bit and look at the next moment, and make it look like you are thinking what to do next.

Answer:
Oh. OK

She stole the show and got a standing ovation, even after incredibly smart moments, when a map that was 10ft tall and 20ft wide, fell over her head ... and she adjusted beautifully, by bringing it to the guy that was "interviewing her" and asking where she wanted to be born on the map. What would likely have been the hardest moment for most actors, when things fall apart, became the highlight of the show ... her dragging the map (further off the wall!) to the guy! Perfect. Couldn't have been written. 

But it was all an extension of the rehearsal process, which worked on adding/subtracting things that were not a part of the story, so they knew how to get in and out of it. BUT, you have to know your lines/score, so you can ease up when you have to.

But it helps when you can make sense of the work, and help guide a line to the next. While this is more "internal" in music I think, since no one discusses meanings and thoughts regarding the sequence of notes (very important for theater and film, btw), in general, for my seeing, this is where musicians disconnect. It becomes too many soloists in the same room. Or what do they call it? Too many chef's in the kitchen? And I find those ideas and situations scary, as the inevitable is that you are fighting something else, which is ego driven and should not be a part of the work you are doing and trying to catch an audience with. Even Eric has complained about that ... sometimes I feel like I'm all alone, and nothing makes sense, to play, or do. I'm guessing he doesn't even know the musicians half the time, and they all fall into 3 or 4 lines of music in lieu of rehearsal?

To me, that music, and show, has already lost the spark, and to think that one person can bring it back, is a very unfair and very screwed up thing to demand of anyone, when more often than not it is the whole band that makes it work, not just the guitarist, keyboardist, or drummer, or anyone else.

To me, this is what Rain is fighting the most! But I think he has the withitall to do so, and at least showcase some ability, where most just talk and do not know how to play as well. Baby, just get out there ... and do your shine! YOUR SHINE!

(This is the reason why I do not like to do what everyone else does. You will always be compared to someone else, no matter how good you are. Sort of like Blues guitarists ... a dime a dozen ... now which one is better? Who has the best inner feeling? No one can find the depth, because it is an idea, NOT A REALITY. Think Jimi. Think SRV. Think others. You really think they did what they did because they did not like to "trip" and "fly" with the music? It's about your inner space! And that is "direct'able" ... but most bands are not that far into the work at all ... they are too much into invisible ideas of this or that! Of course you will be shaky and scared. It's someone else's idea that is not clear, concise and ready, or the players would all be ready and already shining.
post edited by Moshkito - 2016/07/31 10:39:42

craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 12:13:16 (permalink)
Looks like lots of Kool-Aid being passed around this morning! 

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 12:49:13 (permalink)
I played two services this morning. After 18 months of live playing, today was the first time I didn't feel nervous and actually got absorbed by the music. It felt great. Such a soulful experience.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 13:27:40 (permalink)
michaelhanson
I played two services this morning. After 18 months of live playing, today was the first time I didn't feel nervous and actually got absorbed by the music. It felt great. Such a soulful experience.

Nice!  Remember that feeling well and you can recall it the next time you start off nervous.  One quick method is to make what we call an anchor.  Go over your experience in your mind noting everything that's going on around you (the lighting, sounds, people and, especially, how you feel), intensify it, then anchor it by doing something like pinching an earlobe (hold it for a couple of seconds).  The next time you want that feeling all you have to do is pinch your earlobe again and your previous state should return for you. 

It's a useful technique, but it relies on you having a great experience to relate to (which you now have!).

eph221
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 15:21:40 (permalink)
craigb
michaelhanson

Nice!  Remember that feeling well and you can recall it the next time you start off nervous.  One quick method is to make what we call an anchor.  Go over your experience in your mind noting everything that's going on around you (the lighting, sounds, people and, especially, how you feel), intensify it, then anchor it by doing something like pinching an earlobe (hold it for a couple of seconds).  The next time you want that feeling all you have to do is pinch your earlobe again and your previous state should return for you. 

It's a useful technique, but it relies on you having a great experience to relate to (which you now have!).

Oh god, nurse ratchett used the royal *we*.
Rain
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 17:47:29 (permalink)
craigb

That's not unlike some houses and hotels you see in Las Vegas actually. Not exactly your typical goth "natural habitat", but then, what is in Vegas?

Which is one of the reasons why I spend 90% of my waking hours in this room. :P

craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/07/31 18:45:57 (permalink)
Boy you really have that room pretty much done now, don't you?

Moshkito
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/08/01 10:34:14 (permalink)
craigb

Just not enough colors in the trip ... sometimes I think that Bob Dylan's line is right ... everybody must get stoned!

craigb
Re: That stage fright medication works! 2016/08/01 12:35:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2016/08/01 13:54:42
Moshkito
craigb

Just not enough colors in the trip ... sometimes I think that Bob Dylan's line is right ... everybody must get stoned!

I'll look around for some suitable throwing rocks now then.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1