The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2010/08/03 22:54:41 (permalink)

The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop)

Well, I am still on the journey in the center of my mind --- a fictional mental excursion down different musical paths.  As you might remember in my last posting:  I met a strangely familiar guy (Freddy Jim); we collaborated on a song ("Louise"); and both decided to explore these different musical paths together.  We continued on Rocking Road until we came to a corner leading to another path.  On this corner was a very cool looking cat carrying a bass guitar.  We greeted him and inquired as to where this new path lead and he informed us that that was the road to Coolsville.  He said that his name was Baldhead Fred (my apologies one more time for my dearth of creativity in creating names) and again I couldn’t help but feel that there was something strangely familiar about this guy.  As we talked further he stated that he had recently left his day job and that he also was a wannabe musician.  He asked if he could join us on our trip to Coolsville and we proceeded.  We all talked about a number of things as we walked and discovered that we had a common interest in the diversity of music that was around in the 1950’s.  A musical style that we spent a lot of time on was Cool Jazz.  You know the type that I am talking about don’t you (think of the early Mode Records label or think early Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Thelonius Monk, or my favourite Henry Mancini’s soundtrack from the Peter Gunn TV series (outstanding!!)?  This was an era in which the term “cool” became established but it had a different meaning than from today.  We discussed that at length.  These thoughts translated into lyrics and would you believe it ---- a song was given birth.  It was our intent to give this number a Mancini/Peter Gunn feeling ---you know  -- the feeling that it was being played by a small combo at Mr. Gunn’s hangout (“Mother’s”).    

This is our first real attempt at using midi (vibraphone & flute) and I am having to use a difficult process to do this as Guitar Pro doesn’t do midi.  There are probably a few timing issues and other stuff of which we are not aware.  So your comments, insights, suggestions, crit’s, etc. will be very much appreciated.           

We hope;  that you consider the sentiment in this little number; that it does not waste your time; and mostly that you dig it the most.  Crazy man crazy!

The Art of Being Cool
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481

Freddy J
post edited by Freddy J - 2010/08/03 22:58:00

22 Replies Related Threads

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/03 23:06:11 (permalink)
    Freddy, this is really good - you just seem to get better every tune you put out - this is magnificent.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/05 09:42:17 (permalink)
    This IS cool.  I'm digging this daddy-O. Mighty big vibe you've created in the soundstage...really sounds like a small club (beat-nik) setting. 
    Your mental meanderings are taking you down some colorful roads.
    Lots of fun!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/05 11:06:16 (permalink)
    This tune absolutely reminded me of some classic 50's, 60's films. I listened first, and then read your post. The days of Ann Margret, the Jets. Mission accomplished, I'd say!!!!!

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/05 13:45:29 (permalink)
    Very nice defiantly got a vibe.

One minor observation, I found the ride cymbal just a little forward and a little flat sounding perhaps the odd variation with a bit of ride bell, just a thought.

Cheers enjoy the road you are treading.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/05 13:48:37 (permalink)
    Nicely done Freddy. I got a little 'Tom Waits in the '50's' vibe. Original and well put together.

James
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/07 16:10:09 (permalink)
    So how are you doing midi?  And if you want to continue to use midi (I can't imagine life without it!), it probably wouldn't cost much to upgrade to something that does it. :-)

Anyway, very cool vibe here.  Sounds great!
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/08 02:23:34 (permalink)
    Hi, the mix is lovely. I love your stories you tell with your music. Blessings
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/08 21:04:49 (permalink)
    In your defense, Fred has a long history of cool. You've got Freddie Hubbard, Freddie the Freeloader as well as Freddie's Dead. Not to be ominous. But the tune is seriously cool. I loved it. Let me blow the smog from my nostrils.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Freddy J
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/10 12:32:05 (permalink)
    Hi Mark.  I had a bit of fun "collaborating" with the "other Fred's" on this one.  Thanks a million for your kind words and encouragement.  I do appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch Rick.  When I was doing this number, my mental musings (is that a proper phrase?) were of the combo that was always playing at Mother's (Peter Gunn's hangout).  Anyway, I'm having fun so I may just continue on my cranial excursion.  Thanks again for the kind words. 

Hi Dena.  I appreciate your taking time to listen and comment.  I seem to be going back in the alley recently  --- maybe it's just a phase.  Thanks again.

Hey John.  Thanks for the comments and observations.  I was using Smart Loops for this and I have a heck of a time getting them to sound right.  I'll go back and see if I can EQ or balance it a bit more to soften it up.

Thank you James.  I am a bit obsessed with the '50's now ---but for right now it is a good place to be. Thanks again for your kind comments.

Hey Janet!  Thanks for your comments.  Well for right now it is a complicated, frustrating, and challenging process.  It doesn't have to be, but why do it easy when you can do it hard.  I am having to record a basic track in Guitar Tracks Pro and then export it to an ancient version of Home Studio that I happened to find in my old files (it is so old the manual is printed on stone tablets).  Since Home Studio does midi and Guitar Tracks doesn't, I try to adapt midi to the imported track and then export each midi track back over to Guitar Tracks (track bouncing in the extreme).  I then polish up a final version in GT.  I know, I know --- I should just get Sonar and I will ----  but not until I start doing more midi and thoroughly frustrate myself with the challenge of this process.  Thanks again and I hope this number gave you a bit of a giggle.

Hi Karalie7.  Thank you for your kind comments.  My wife says that I tend to pontificate too much --- maybe some of that comes out in my numbers like this.  Thanks again.

Thanks a million Mark.  Your comments gave me a giggle.  Hey, we Freds have to stick together and the group of Freds that you mention really sets a standard for me to live up to.!? (lol)

Freddy J

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/10 13:38:53 (permalink)
    Freddy, believe me--it doesn't sound like you'll be doing much midi at all if it's that complicated!  Treat yourself to Sonar.  You'll be glad you did.  And I'll tell you all the tricks I've learned to make it smoother.  The learning curve I mean.  :-) 
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/10 22:43:04 (permalink)
    Way cool Dad-E-O... I'm hep to what chu layin' down...

well done Freddy...
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/11 02:16:43 (permalink)
    Very nice. Good job, Freddy.

I enjoyed it.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/11 06:45:35 (permalink)
    Slinky, sly and cool. Great job on this, Freddy!

String Jammer
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/11 12:17:39 (permalink)
    Ha, man you're way out there.  This played in the ancient coffee houses when it was only 25 cents for a cup!!  Although it was still a couple years before I was old enough to appreciate it,  I saw the movies.  LOL!!  This is "tres cool" Freddy.  I think some of the sunglassed, beret wearing folk might have said that.  You're voice is really blossoming, my friend.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/12 16:26:07 (permalink)
    Excellent Freddy! You certainly have the voice for this stuff! Poetry stlye vibe accented by the flute.

This tune oozes with nitrogen my man!!  Warren painted a great picture with his comments.

The backing tracks are spot on, especially that bass line.

I'm thinking 'Reefer Madness'.... :)

I can see you and the band in a smokey club doing this number.

Larry
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/12 21:44:47 (permalink)
    very cool Freddy!  this is probably the best I've heard from you so far!  I'd put a little more verb in, especially on the drums and I'd try to compliment that ride with something else - it's not bad, but it's a little too prominent in the mix, IMO. 

nice job!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/12 21:49:48 (permalink)
    Very cool indeed!! Enjoyed listening a lot. I thought the vibraphone was maybe "a little" too up front, otherwise, it sounds great to me. Nice job!!!
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/13 13:51:51 (permalink)
    Everytime someone mentions Mancini I can't help it. Inspector Clousseau. The pink panther is back!!

Very well done on the arrangement in general. You got some good mileage out of your midi instruments, you midi newbie you. Sounds darn good in the cans (ATH M50). Very good production Freddy! Bravo!

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/13 17:26:57 (permalink)
    Coolest thing I have heard on here in a while. Title is apropos.
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/14 01:29:48 (permalink)
    Er....Pink Panther? Great narrating voice, and singing, too. I don't think the voice was cool enough, though. It didn't sound dull and bored, or low, like cool sounds. It sounds too white-collar professional, to me.

Why so little singing? The singing--those two itty bitty parts of it--sounded good.

Funny idea. Interesting. And relevant--don't we all want to be cool? 

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/14 23:47:32 (permalink)
    This sounds so much like something Jim Stafford would do.

Cool stuff

Ron
    Freddy J
    Re:The Art of Being Cool (Cool Jazz/Beatnik Bop) 2010/08/16 15:00:30 (permalink)
    I had to test out midi first but now after a couple of attempts I think it could be a bunch of fun.  I love my GT Pro but- well, I can see Sonar it in my future.  Once I convince myself to get it (and convince my wife I should get one more toy), I will be counting on you to help me learn the doggone thing.  Thanks Janet.

Crazy man crazy  -- I diggin' it that you dug it.  Thanks Frank.

Hi NoKey!  Thanks for listening.  I'm very glad that you enjoyed it!

Thank you Scotty.  I appreciate your listening and the kind words.

Hi Warren.  Ya, I'm much to young to remember also (lol).  I had to get the feel from old TV shows and the movies (I wish).  Thanks a lot for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Hey Larry.  I watched a couple of old 1950's Film Noir movies before I did this recording -- you know, to help me get in the mood (lol).  Thanks a million for the kind comments.

Hey Reece.  You're right about the ride -- I'll have to pull it back a wee bit.  Thanks a million for listening and for the generous comments.

Hi Dave and thanks for the input! I'll have to go back and listen to get a handle on the vibraphone.  Thanks again.

I forgot got that Mancini did the Pink Panther.  That theme has a very cool jazz feel to it also.  I also love Peter Sellers in that character.  I have to smile every time that I think of some of the gag's in that series of films.  Thank you very much for your generous comments JC.  I do appreciate it.

Thank you James.  I very much appreciate that you listened and appreciate your comments.

Hi Peggy.  Thanks for listening and for your comments.  When I was first thinking of this song, I had intended to do no singing but was going on the idea of trying to recreate a beat poet reading to music.  Well, I got side tracked, got more into story telling, and couldn't help myself -- I had to put in a bit of singing even though it was just a wee bit (best laid plans etc.).  As for the voice not being cool enough, your absolutely right.  We all want to be cool but I gave up in frustration a long time ago.

Hey, Jim Stafford is a Florida guy also.  Must be something in the water that makes one a bit silly?  Thanks for listening and commenting Ron.

Freddy J

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1