The Beat Buddie Mini

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2017/04/23 01:32:46 (permalink)

The Beat Buddie Mini

HI Any readers out there ever use the Beat Buddie mini for a solo gig? The tutorial videos show good quality sound and ease of use. Serious about getting one.

4 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: The Beat Buddie Mini 2017/04/24 05:36:04 (permalink)
    Seems like a great unit as you can operate the unit with the external foot switch without bending down.

Just one thing I can think off - the mini lacks MIDI output in case you want to sync with a looper.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: The Beat Buddie Mini 2017/04/24 14:24:11 (permalink)
    I thought this review was the only one with some good info about gigging with one. Myself I'd want to be able to program my own beats as I find drum machines use way to many weird patterns and lack the basics. This guy sort of agree's with me. 

Review from Sweetwater site: 
    Mr. G   from So. Cal      June 22, 2016    Music Background:  Full time guitarist, 50 years  
    As with most drum machine presets, you will find a couple in most of the genres that will work for the bulk of what you are going to need. I have always found the more sparse the better when it comes to patterns.
    There are some very good ones in this machine and it is an easier interface to work with (once you get familiar with it) then the desktop type machine. The tricky issue is the pickup fill going into each pattern. A real drummer will play a short pickup into a groove, perhaps a dotted quarter or half not long but very rarely a full measure. BB Mini gives each song a full measure of pickup. There is a way around this but it's a wee bit of a hassle. Use something like a volume pedal after the output to mute the pickup fill or have the volume pedal set at a much lower minimum volume for the intro pickup fill. Since the BB Mini gives a very visable que as to where it is and what beat it is on, it is simple to unmute the signal at the end of pickup
    anytime you wish so the pattern is not cut off while you are attenuating the full measure pickup that is on every song. Next, do use the dual momentary pedal to access the extra features of the BB Mini. This machine is a fab value and if you spend some time sussing out the patterns, you will find enough to gig with that you like. When it comes to rhythm machine patterns, less is more so go for generic and sparse or that "hip little figure" will become fatiguing as it endlessly repeats. This is my rule for using any sort of mechanical accompaniment. The Latin and World Beat patterns are really nice as are some of the brush hit patterns and Country patterns, Beatbox, each category has a couple that will work over many songs.
    Some are a bit busy to work as generic patterns but if you find even 2 in each category you will be able to
    work with it. The break out pedal gives you some options that are essential for gigging (like pause, fill and the accent trigger which allows for crash hits). In summary, the BeatBuddy Mini has enough utility to make it a winner if you use your imagination. It requires a bit of time behind the wheel and as I mentioned, the 4 beat intro thing is way long for a pickup into a song but can be mitigated with a mute or a volume pedal.
    Sweetwater has this at a great price and I recommend it as an alternative to the standard drum machine.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: The Beat Buddie Mini 2017/04/24 14:34:33 (permalink)
    Just a few notes if you've never gigged with one.

The audience will not be impressed if you spend time fiddling with gear between songs.
    You need to be able to take as little time as possible. So you need to be able to change pattern and then set the tempo within 5-10 seconds. Add to that you might be using guitar effects as well so now your fiddling with that... and now, you might need lyrics so add another item to that list of between song fiddling about.  I look at that drum machine and I'm not sure how quickly you'd be able to set up the next song. 

This is why I use my own backing tracks for each song and I play them back using Win Amp controlled with a footswitch. I have a second net book running power point with my lyrics for a few songs. I'll often start the next song the second the last song ends and then make a few adjustments to my sound ( guitar/Vocal effects)  during the intro. 

I'm about to automate my vocal and guitar effects buy switching over to using Sonar's Playlist. This will send MIDI to the effects. 

So why don't you just use what you have, Sonar to make some backing tracks, It will sound a whole lot better than a beat box. Beat boxes are not something I enjoy listening to even if I'm playing. They drive you bonkers after a while. I started out with my Roland 505 back in the 80's and very quickly started using sequenced midi to trigger it. I still use those same sequences but they now trigger much, much much better drum sounds. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re: The Beat Buddie Mini 2017/04/24 16:59:25 (permalink)
    I plan on the extra foot switch for exactly that ...not having to bend down each time for a new song adjustment. Speaking of Sweetwater when I asked the salesperson, he offered a deal for buying both the unit and foot switch together...nice of them! In my case for gigs the plan is to not use beats for every song so as to avoid boredom. Also some of my originals are instrumentals (which gives me and listeners some break from constant vocal) and I think a back beat will spruce those up some....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1