The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song)

Author
DenHollinden
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2005/03/17 14:47:04 (permalink)

The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song)

Copies of this song were sold as a fundraiser for Merrik, a 2-year-old cancer patient at Texas Children's Hospital.

You can listen to it on SoundClick:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/DenHollindenMusic.htm

If SoundClick is down and you have a higher speed connection (anything faster than a modem), you can also listen here:

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/DenHollinden/

To learn more about Merrik, join his CarePage:

http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=MerrikMedrano

Thanks!
Den

6 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/17 15:14:20 (permalink)
    hi den,
    i know i shouldn't probably critique this .. but i'm going to anyway .. 'cause you
    might be able to raise some more bucks if it sold more broadly .....

this is a very sweet tune .. but some of the elements of the arrangement don't
    work and are kind of gimicky to me .. like at :43 and at 2:50 ... I suspect these
    were loops or samples and they don't quite go with the tune. Also, the bridge at
    1:33 doesn't quite work for the character of the tune .. it goes almost
    country rock .. and then drops back into the lullaby style .. it's a pretty
    stark contrast.
    I think you can get a similar effect (of adding interest) by just adding in
    elements of other instruments in this genre .. different guitars ... maybe
    long bowed fiddle, etc. deep bass .. and take them out when you want
    to settle it down. It would keep the feel Americana all the way through, which
    is what I think the tune kind of wants to be.

Off to sign the little guy's care page . .. sure hope he beats it ;-(
    jeff

ps: how do you contribute to the fundraiser? i didn't see it on the
    care page.
    post edited by jmarkham - 2005/03/17 15:28:17
    Abbey
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/17 16:43:45 (permalink)
    Love this song and its story.

I don't have time to critique right now but I'll definately be back!

Good luck and God Bless
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 16:44:00
    DenHollinden
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/18 20:27:57 (permalink)
    Thanks to both Jeff and Abbey for taking the time to listen!

Jeff, I do hear what you're saying. We had a very short fuse on this particular song, because there was a fundraiser for Merrik just a few weeks away; so, it was a snooze/lose situation. Musically, I think I'm growing into that acoustic, Americana type sound you mentioned and am liking it more and more. The country rock portion of the song is more similar to the kind of stuff I normally do--or have done up until now. In fact, this is the very first song of mine I've ever used a Dobro on. Your comments are very useful to me though, that type of sound is definitely where I think--not only this song but my music in general--wants to go.
    I'll need to listen to the song again to catch the sections you referenced by elapsed time. Just guessing, I'm thinking you're talking about the bongo/rain stick and then the piano towards the end, but I should be able to fill in more info once I do.
    Once again, I appreciate your attention, and I think I'll snoop around to see if I can read more of your posts on here. A huge problem I've had on some of the boards is that a lot of musicians/engineers will avoid anything Country/Americana/Bluegrass-sounding; so, it's often difficult to find good feedback. That makes yours even more valuable to me. You have a great weekend.

Abbey
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/19 00:41:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DenHollinden

Thanks to both Jeff and Abbey for taking the time to listen!

Now that's odd. I was, at first, confused by the word "and" placed in between my first and last name. The confusion ended when I clicked on jmarkham's profile.

Den,

This must be the hardest song I've ever tried to critique because of it's content and story. However, all I would like to hear is the acoustic guitar higher in the mix.

Know that this one old man from NY joins with the big hearts in TEXAS.

God Bless,
    Jeff Abbey

post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/19 00:42:53
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/20 10:45:13 (permalink)
    Should any of you care to support the family, there's
    a fund that's been set up:

The Merrik Medrano Cancer Fund
    2105 Firestone Dr.
    League City, TX 77573

jeff

o3layla1
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: The Biggest Hearts in Texas (Merrik's Song) 2005/03/20 16:49:45 (permalink)
    Man , you got a great voice, personaly I think the contrast worked , but that is just my humble opinion, kinda the real old time county ballad then being swept back to the reality of the situation, I don't know guy , I was moved , and to me thats what it is all about

Sonar 4, Aardvark Q10, Sea Sound Solo EX, Line 6 POD Pro, gigabyte 7nnxp +3200xp AMD

[link=http://www.ourstage.com/profile/electricorangeoxblood]http://www.ourstage.com/p.../electricorangeoxblood[/link]

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1