The Charts

Author
cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
2007/02/17 11:10:58 (permalink)

The Charts

For any of you that use Soundclick I am wondering what the Stats and chart placement really mean. I just posted my stuff there a couple of days ago and one of my songs is listed as being "On the charts". I have one song that has more "Plays" than the others but it is not listed on the charts. Does any of this mean that I am not just a hack? Should I quit my job and move to LA. When do I get my tourbus!?!

Anyway, thanks for those of you that listened and commented on my stuff. I am still learning and trying to figure this stuff out so if you know about this please fill us newbies in.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here

19 Replies Related Threads

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/17 11:26:32 (permalink)
    All it means is your song has had plays...depending on the genre, just a few plays can get you high on the charts.
    It obviously doesn't mean a song is good cause lots of terrible songs are on the top of soundclick charts.
    Its all about number of plays, and it seems people know how to manipulate the plays cause some not so good tunes have been high on the charts for a long time.
    But it's sort of fun to track it and see how it works.
    RLD
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/17 11:57:52 (permalink)
    The charts are based on 'unique plays' in other words, they only count one play from each person that plays your song on a given day. That's to stop people playing their own songs 4000 times a day just to get to 'No. 1'

As far as I know, you can't have more than one song in any one genre at a time, so it's best to pick slightly different genres if you want all your songs moving in the charts.

It doesn't really mean a whole lot, but it's interesting to track how many people are hearing your tunes using the 'song & page statistics'.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/17 12:24:31 (permalink)
    That's a good question - I was wondering why (in case of the Pop and Pop General categories) there are a handful of songs which never left the Top 10 ever since I started to use Soundclick back last September! I mean at least three songs don't seem to move from there ...
    I really don't pay much attention to the chart position, as it is faulty and tainted. Still, it's nice to see ones' song being in the top 10, isn't it?
    Heinz.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/17 12:30:31 (permalink)
    I didn't know they had charts when I first posted there, but what the heck, it's just for fun. I can say, "Hey, Ma, my song's at #11," or whatever. I'm glad James explained it: I wondered why my very first post wasn't on the charts; I had posted a second song in the same category. The way I see it, my music has been played hundreds of times more than I ever expected, and every musician wants an audience, eh?
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    cjlinus
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/18 08:55:25 (permalink)
    This is currently my only way to let people hear my ideas. I think its great to finaly do music other than siting in my bedroom. I geuss Im still sitting in my bedroom but now I can actually make a song instead of making guitar and bass parts and hoping they work together.

Now, I had a song that had fewer plays on Saturday then on Friday but it rose in chart position. Am I right in guessing that the vast majority of people that go on soundclick do it at work and thats why weekend plays are fewer?

Listen to my songs here
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 20:35:43 (permalink)
    Try garageband.com They've got th emost fair system there is.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 21:03:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RLD

All it means is your song has had plays...depending on the genre, just a few plays can get you high on the charts.
    It obviously doesn't mean a song is good cause lots of terrible songs are on the top of soundclick charts.

No it doesn't have to be good, I've had one of mine at #6.

As far as I know, you can't have more than one song in any one genre at a time, so it's best to pick slightly different genres if you want all your songs moving in the charts.

I've had as many as 3 of the same genre chart at the same time.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 21:41:39 (permalink)

Ah, sounds like the kind of naiveté I can make good use of. (Well, me and the Democratic Party). Sign me up. But is there a prize?
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 21:52:12 (permalink)
    As far as I know, you can't have more than one song in any one genre at a time, so it's best to pick slightly different genres if you want all your songs moving in the charts

I've had as many as 3 of the same genre chart at the same time.

From the Soundclick site...

You can have no more than one song in one particular genre or sub-genre.

Say you have all your songs in the main genre HipHop, evenly divided between 'Bass Rap' and 'Spoken Word' as sub-genre.

Then your strongest song will appear on the HipHop charts, because all your songs have HipHop as main genre.

The strongest song within the sub-genre 'Bass Rap' will appear in that sub-genre charts, and the
    strongest 'Spoken Word' song will appear on the 'Spoken Words' sub-charts.

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 22:12:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Ah, sounds like the kind of naiveté I can make good use of. (Well, me and the Democratic Party). Sign me up. But is there a prize?

I thought you liked sarcasm...

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/19 22:31:12 (permalink)
    Then whats the point of "ranking" a song ? Users can rank songs, is that pointless ??
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/20 03:03:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Try garageband.com They've got th emost fair system there is.

Yes they do as a matter of fact my best freind was picked for
    top album there once, he got a write up the whole bit
    i think it was a year ago or more. But they are cool over there.
    cjlinus
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/20 08:15:57 (permalink)
    So you dont have to use garageband to use the site?

As far as sound click is concerned what is the point of the hot/flop voting buttons if they have no bearing on chart position?

Listen to my songs here
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/20 16:16:03 (permalink)
    Garageband is just a great place to get honest feedback about whether or not people like your song. You might also make some good connections there. It's not a hosting site and it's not a place to get feedback on a mix, although with the reviews I've done, if a mix is particularly good, I'll generally make mention of it. But I would never let a bad mix sway my opinion on whether or not the tune was well written and/or performed. I've never used soundclick. They seem to be all right for what they do. But for ten bucks a month I can get good hosting at a web site of my own, which I much prefer. It may not be worth it to you. Just depends on what you need.
    cjlinus
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/21 10:03:49 (permalink)
    I dont pay the $10 fee on soundclick. I really am too new to this to bother with spending more money on my hobby then I already have. Its free. SO back to garageband. Do you have to use thier product, is it even related to Apple? give up some details.

Listen to my songs here
    Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/22 08:12:07 (permalink)
    Broadjam is also a great place for accurate feedback. Other artists and some fans review your stuff. I recently one the January Folk Lyric Contest there...based entirely on reviews from other artists. Broadjam is also linked to Taxi, and is probably the most professional of all the OMDs I've tried, personally, and those would include Soundclick, ArtistLaunch, PureVolume, MySpace, etc. It's a tough crowd there, but that's what I wanted at this stage, and after a few months there, two of my songs made three top-ten lists...ONLY based on review, not plays...so I like that.

I still have a free page at SoundClick, and they are a good OMD, but I've had at least three #1 or #2s there, and lot's of top ten chartings, and one MP3 sale from there in three years. Two months after joining Broadjam, I won $250 cash, and a song of my choice sent to 5 REAL radio stations.

Best,

Mark

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/22 08:51:53 (permalink)
    Broadjam ill have to check that out thanks
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/22 09:08:54 (permalink)
    Mark, so your Broadjam Page is not a free version, or is it? I mean, it does sound really intriguing to join them ... much more organized and (dare I say it) less commercials ...
    Heinz.

Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: The Charts 2007/02/22 09:40:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: airmeki

Mark, so your Broadjam Page is not a free version, or is it? I mean, it does sound really intriguing to join them ... much more organized and (dare I say it) less commercials ...
    Heinz.

They have a free membership, and it is surprisingly feature-full, but I went for the $39/yr Taxi special (since I am a member of TAXI) and then, after my win, upgraded for the faster response times to upload reviews and more space afforded. The fast response time to uploads is important to me, because I am ALWAYS tweaking mixes, and also may want to get something up quick for a TAXI submission, and Pro and PRIMO MOBs get this improved attention/treatment.

BTW, their control center is FANTASTIC. Everything's at hand! I don't think there is anything you need to do that it more than two clicks away! The whole feel of the place is very solid.

Also cool is the caliber of some of the artist talent there. I've purchased songs from several of my fellow artists there. Just check out my top three or four artist picks...regardless of genre, you will hear some skill/quality.

Best,

Mark

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1