The Chase (Rock Instrumental)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2011/01/06 22:12:02 (permalink)

The Chase (Rock Instrumental)

Ok, I was watching a car chase scene on the old TV show – “In the Heat of the Night”.  It wasn’t one of those frenetic, multi-car crash chases but a moderately fast and deliberate chase.  However, to these untrained, amateurish ears the music did not match the scene.  So --- that put into my mind the idea of trying to come up with chase scene music (how’s that for being cheeky).  I read somewhere -- some time ago --that a strategy in doing this might be to vary on a common theme.  Hey, Ravel did it with some success (no I’m not being cheeky here – just stupid)!  Anyway, this is what I came up with as my first venture into an instrumental thing.
I just got Sonar X1 --- so, I am trying to learn it.  For the past bunch of months I’ve been trying to get used to just recording (I was using GT Pro) and mixing, but didn’t quite achieve my goal of a rudimentary understanding and attainment of simple skills in this endeavour.  Now I am trying to understand midi and all the stuff that X1 does and I am way over my head.  I would appreciate any feedback that any of you can give.  If you would also be so kind as to put any suggestions that you might have in layman’s terms please.  Remember the level of competence of the person to whom you are making them.
Thanks!!
The Chase
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481
Freddy J
post edited by Freddy J - 2011/01/06 22:15:01

12 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/07 08:28:44 (permalink)
     Freddy,  This is sweet.   Love those vibes (synth) and the nasty guitar tones.  I haven't seen that flick in ages.
    what a great idea! 

...very catchy (and well done) track.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/07 12:52:25 (permalink)
    but distortion on the mains? I don't get that?

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/07 14:19:49 (permalink)
    hehehe... reminds me of the days of the "Green Hornet" for some unknown reason. Cool stuff. Car chase eh, my favorite would have to be Steve McQuenn's "Bullet" I think it was called. That Shelby was something else. That "double-stop" distorted guitar intro is a really nice touch. Mix sounds very good in the cans. Nice and tight performances. Bravo Freddy!

Note: That new picture on your site is amazing. Is that you? Nicely staged if you ask me. 
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/08 22:45:31 (permalink)
    Hi Freddy,

I like this! The double stops on the distorted guitar sort of sound like a car horn

The synth-vibes sound cool, too.

Very nice.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    opensky
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 01:25:58 (permalink)
    You've got some interesting ideas here.   Try getting rid of the distortion in the drums or is that intentional?

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/opensky
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 09:30:01 (permalink)
    Freddy

I like your version...I like your idea...its a good one....

it's great that we can watch something an this idea pops into our head which leads us to our next work.....

nice job

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 10:04:29 (permalink)
    When this started out it reminded me of the old sixties Batman theme,which I always liked, but then it grew into something else. Being totally honest I'm not sure about some of the synth sounds you've chosen - the do..do..do one in particular doesn't quite work for me. Maybe try changing the synth patches to some different sounds - something with a longer sustain/decay time ? Just my opinion as a listener - I'm no kind of expert. Don't worry about being in over your head - most of us are ! ;)

Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 10:07:27 (permalink)
    Cool track Freddy, reminded me of Link Wray. Lots of distortion in the mix though, especially noticeable on the intro.

James
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 10:30:19 (permalink)
    Has a 60's vibe to it for sure.... Ventures sort of thing with distortion.

cool tune.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    StudioCat57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/09 11:55:31 (permalink)
    Pretty cool!!! Definite old school vibe!!

I wrote a song a while back called  The Chase also!!! About a lover scorned chasing his rival on hyper bikes through a mountain canyon... Still want to do a video but no time... Cool idea!!!

If you get a chance, check out my version of the chase on my myspace page.

www.myspace.com/drummerfromhellion

<div><embed style='display:inline;' quality='high' wmode='transparent' id='FlashDiv' FlashVars='songId=73436724&pid=1498539423939370520' AllowScriptAccess='always' src='http://www.myspace.com/mu...36724&getSwf=true' width='400' height='77'/><p>Find more artists like <a target='_blank' href='/drummerfromhellion/music/albums/15524960?ap=1&songid=73436724'>Drummer from Hellion</a> at <a target='_blank' href='http://www.myspace.com/music'> Myspace Music </a></p></div>

not sure if the embed will work. if not use the link above or below or wherever it is!!!

The Chase is on!!!!

Peace!!

P-4 3.0ghz- 3 gigs ram
    Sonar 6.021 Producer
    DM-3200
    Motu 2408mk3
    Lots of VST's
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/11 08:21:40 (permalink)
    i'm gueesing the distortion on the durms is intentional, perhaps a bit much but then it fits in with the cat scratch fevered guitars! car chase is fitting! the ultimate thing for that is the French film 'Ronin'

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:The Chase (Rock Instrumental) 2011/01/13 11:12:26 (permalink)
    Hi Rick.  That's the problem with watching old shows on late night TV --- you're sleepy enough to come up with silly ideas.  Every once in a while one might work out though.  Thanks very much for the kind comments.

Hey Robby.  I don't get it either.  You know my problem with the over use of delay -- goodness gracious, I hope it is not spreading to my use of distortion.

Thanks for the very nice comments JC.  I appreciate them.  The picture is new and it is a picture of Freddy J and the Freds (if you remember my rambling story of a couple of months ago, the Freds were the various influence that formed my love of the Blues, cool Jazz, R 'n R, etc.).  Credit for the picture goes to my son F. Robert.  He only had about 45 minutes to shoot it and do the work-up (he had other commitments when I asked but was good enough to do it) but I think he did a great job.  By the way, I did more snooping on your website and you have some great stuff and terrific graphics on there.  Very nice indeed.

Hello Gary.  Thanks for taking time to listen and for the kind comments.

Hey Steve.  Well the distortion on the drums was intentional but upon listening to it again I think that I over did it (a bad habit of mine with FX).  Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thank you Clifford.  I appreciate the comments.  In your avatar, is that the Ruskin Tomato Growers facility that your rig is parked in front of?  From the little bit that I see of it, it looks familiar.

Thanks for the feedback Paulo.  I am indeed over my head -- so, I am in an experimenting mode now.  At some point soon, I am going to see how I can fool around and experiment more with this number.  I will definitely try some different patches.

Link Wray --- ya, I like him.  As a youngster, his song Rumble was one of my favourites.  I've gotten a few comments about the distortion.  Upon listening again, I can't disagree  --- especially concerning the drums.  They are going to need a tweak.  Thanks for the feedback James.

Thank you Herb.  I appreciate your comments.

Hi Phil.  Thanks for taking a listen and the comments.  I was able to access the link and give your number a listen.  What a terrific number.  Even if I knew how to play the drums, I think I would need oxygen after that intro  --- nice one.

Hey Mark.  You're right.  The distortion on the drums was intentional and it is a bit too much.  When playing guitar, I use FX boxes (Boss, DigTech, Zoom) plugged into the sound card.  I am more comfortable with that in that I can fool myself into believing that I have better control.  I am having to use the FX patches for drums, midi, etc. and that is new to me.  I guess my learning curve is going to be a bit high, until I get more experience and advice from members of the forum.  Thanks for your comments.

Freddy J

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1