The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio

Author
Giannis
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
2007/06/28 09:21:58 (permalink)

The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio

I'm looking to buy a new DAW within the next months or so and I've come across a few companies who build custom PCs for audio work. One such company is www.studiocat.com . They are located in the US though and I'm living in Europe so I was wondering if they would even consider the shipping. I heard that Jim, who builds those DAWs sometimes posts here so maybe someone could give me some information. I've allready sent an email but I'm still waiting fo a reply.

If they wouldn't ship to Europe or if the shipping would be too expensive which other manufacturers are there around? There might be alot of people from the US here but maybe someone living in Europe could give me a hint?

9 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 09:29:07 (permalink)
    I'm sure Jim will ship to you, or indeed Scott from ADK. In the UK there is Carillon computers, or Rain recording, though they have gotten a mixed rep due to their Vista claims...whereabouts are you? in Greece?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    mgh
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 09:32:19 (permalink)
    and these are in spain: http://www.citriq.com/systems/systems_en.html

but i'm sure you could build one urself, or buy a good spec from a reputable builder, and add the extra hard/software urself...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Giannis
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 09:41:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the fast replies!

I've certainly been living in Greece (in Northern Greece as well as on Crete, just love it!) but now I'm in Sweden. I will wait for Jim to reply to the email I sent him and then I could calculate the costs.

One of the online stores here in Sweden has a feature that lets you put together a system of your own so I could always do that. But, I'm also thinking that maybe a custom builder could make me a more stable computer. I have heard about incompatibility issues even though I know there are ways to get around them. By ordering a custom DAW will I also be sure that I get computer that is optimized for audio.

Anyway, I will let a little more time pass before I make my final decision. I know that the intel processors are supposed to drop in price -I thought they would drop this month but since I haven't seen any changes in prices I assume it will happen in July.
    mgh
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 09:55:17 (permalink)
    jim roseberry is jim's full name, you'll find him lurking on the sonar forum, pm him, as i said adk sytems get good reviews too and their man scott is on the forums too...and apparently, yes, both dual and quad cores will be reduced in july...

mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 10:03:34 (permalink)
    I recently did a quicky review of one of ADKs rigs:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1078673&mpage=1&key=adk􇖑

I have not had the opportunity to try out one of Jim's rigs, but if it's quality is anything like the Purrrfect drum DVDs I purchased from him, I'm sure it would be a top-notch machine as well.

Both Jim and the ADK crew post here on a regular basis, and have been doing so for a long time, so I don't think either one is a fly-by-night operation and should be around to offer support for their products if needed.

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 10:58:46 (permalink)
    i hate flying especially at night
    Giannis
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 11:48:24 (permalink)
    Seems to me that the Studio Cats are somewhat cheaper than other custom builders. The Quad Cores at ADK cost somewhere around $2,800.

I heard the drum samples Jim has - they sound real great actually. I've got a few sets for drums including EZDrummer and a acouple of older sample cds but none of those have that jazz/funky sound. I really like the drum kit too, I think it must have been a Sonor kit. Makes me remember my days as a drummer...

Sonor was high up on my list and it never became affordable to me (I was nothing but a teenager then). Now, I'm all guitars and I feel really great about that. I must have improved my compositional skills much more by playing the guitar and studying jazz, composition, arranging and many other things.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 12:50:47 (permalink)
    $2800?

where you getting that
    $2,238.00 base config upgrade to Quad 6600.

Scott
    ADK
    Giannis
    RE: The DAWs from StudioCat - Purrrfect Audio 2007/06/28 14:22:40 (permalink)
    So sorry, Scott.

I got the numbers wrong. I must have been looking at the ADK - Xeon Xtreme and not the Core 2 Pro (which isn't 2,800 either so). I did a configuration on your site and with a Quad Core and 4Gb RAM (leaving two memory slots for future upgrades) it landed on $2,394 and it looks like a really nice DAW. I would go for 64 bit OS though and a rack case would be good too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1