"The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop)

Author
Heckxx
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
2009/03/23 17:41:58 (permalink)

"The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop)

This is one of the better songs I've ever recorded, just wanted to get some feedback on this. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7452285

-Jeff

============================

You're so beautiful
On this side
But in your shadow
It's not alright
Why you telling me
All these lies?
Your seeds are poisonous
Deep inside

You lead me into your garden
You show me secrets that
I never want to see

The stars align
And then they collide
Everything about you has shattered
The broken glass
From drinks in our hands
It shows me where the darkness has gathered
It comes from you

You're so dangerous
With your smile
Cause you can make a man
Lose his sight
Why you tempt me with
All your lines?
Those words so venomous
Deep inside

It comes from you
It comes from you
Don't you know
That everything I ever wanted
It's not from any part of you

16 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/23 22:28:27 (permalink)
    Beautiful tune! Dark lyrics...

For some reason it sounds a little 'bright' but I don't know why.

Very nice arrangement and great playing!
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/23 22:51:35 (permalink)
    Hi jeff this is another killer tune from you but no offence your R`s and W`s are sticking out too much again, i don`t want to sound cruel but you are amazing at making music and arranging and mixing , i think you would be a signed artist, if you spent six months with a speech therapist and got the speech impedement toned down a little.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Heckxx
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 12:32:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: alkie

Hi jeff this is another killer tune from you but no offence your R`s and W`s are sticking out too much again, i don`t want to sound cruel but you are amazing at making music and arranging and mixing , i think you would be a signed artist, if you spent six months with a speech therapist and got the speech impedement toned down a little.

No offense taken, its just funny that when I listen to my singing I don't notice stuff like that, because I can fix it as long as I'm paying attention. There must be some other bands I listen to or something that get away with bad speech and I'm used to hearing that, lol

EDIT: Is there certain words that stand out as sounding badly pronounced? Cause I took another listen to the song, I didn't really notice any drastic mispronouncing.

-Jeff
    post edited by Heckxx - 2009/03/24 12:43:30
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 17:56:13 (permalink)
    A very professional production all round. It's not really my thing musically, but your talent is easy to recognise listening to this track. I loved the guitars. Nice work.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 19:46:12 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff,
    I loved this tune. The production on this piece and performance are just FANTASTIC. As for the mix I think this is not your best. The vox has a bit of distortion. The entire mix to me sounds flat compared to your other stuff. Its hard to explain, I don't know if its just the vox or the entire mix. At 0:09 you can hear the tempo count. I have to agree with you I really like this song and I think it is totally radio freindly. Performance wise its tight and done very well. Your harmonies are fantastic. I hope I'm not being hard on you or give you bad advice because I am still learning myself. But I know this is not up to Jeff Tadashi's standard when it comes to the mix.

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 20:24:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Heckxx

This is one of the better songs I've ever recorded, just wanted to get some feedback on this. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Hi, Heckxx,

Very impressive recording. I love the arrangement, the orchestration, the performances, and pretty much everything about this production. You've got a really professional sound happening here and I am humbled by your abilities. This song is definitely "radio ready". Outstanding job.

The only thing that niggles at me a little bit regarding the songwriting is that there isn't a super-strong "hook" that I'm remembering after listening to it.

This is not to say that the entire production isn't top-notch --it is. It's just that there isn't the kind of "hear it one time and can't get it out of your head" hook in this song that I'd expect from such an amazing and professional pop song production. Maybe if I listened to the song five more times, that hook might jump out at me.

Please don't take this as a negative criticism, it's not meant to be. It's just an observation from an otherwise very impressed listener. And not all successful songs have huge, memorable hooks, some kind of grow on you after many listenings.

You've done an amazing job of both recording and production and mixing with this song and I congratulate you.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 20:30:58 (permalink)
    Good song and good job on the recording. It does sound a bit bright on the high end in my ear buds....I'd roll the higs off a bit... bass is a bit lacking also....

all in all a very good job. I recall a few others you have done so when I saw it was you, I was expecting something good, and you did not dissapoint.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/24 20:35:45

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 20:38:31 (permalink)
    I like the song and I'm going back to look for the R and W. One of the guys told me that my R on one of my songs was enough to make him dismiss the song. Tough to swallow but I am absoulteuly changing it on the re-do. I knew he was right because I thought about it. This is why posting here is great. Your mix is in another world compared to what I do. I always like your music and this mix is going to be preferred by some and not by others. That's the nature of the beast.. On my Sony earphones I liked it. Way to go, Jeff. Now I'm goin' lookin' for your R and W.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 20:47:01 (permalink)
    Jeff,

Very nice work. The mix sound clean and clear. Well done.

I'd like to suggest tweaking the falseto (sp?) parts. They are a bit pitchy. Use V-Vocal or Melodyne to get them on the note.

In all honesty, you write some really great stuff. This one was very good, but you've for lots of better material.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 21:10:47 (permalink)
    WOW- Really Great!-

Love yer mix, love yer arrangement....pronunciation not an issue here....

This is really, really good, bro-

IMO-
    Rob
    Heckxx
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 23:28:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: drumstixkev

Hey Jeff,
    I loved this tune. The production on this piece and performance are just FANTASTIC. As for the mix I think this is not your best. The vox has a bit of distortion. The entire mix to me sounds flat compared to your other stuff. Its hard to explain, I don't know if its just the vox or the entire mix. At 0:09 you can hear the tempo count. I have to agree with you I really like this song and I think it is totally radio freindly. Performance wise its tight and done very well. Your harmonies are fantastic. I hope I'm not being hard on you or give you bad advice because I am still learning myself. But I know this is not up to Jeff Tadashi's standard when it comes to the mix.

LATER
    Kev

Thanks, and thanks for reminding me about that metronome error, I guess I forgot to fix that, lol. I just recently switched to a new mastering limiter, so to me, the recording feels much louder than my previous ones. But I will definitely be tweaking it some more.
    Heckxx
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 23:30:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cromberger
    Hi, Heckxx,

Very impressive recording. I love the arrangement, the orchestration, the performances, and pretty much everything about this production. You've got a really professional sound happening here and I am humbled by your abilities. This song is definitely "radio ready". Outstanding job.

The only thing that niggles at me a little bit regarding the songwriting is that there isn't a super-strong "hook" that I'm remembering after listening to it.

This is not to say that the entire production isn't top-notch --it is. It's just that there isn't the kind of "hear it one time and can't get it out of your head" hook in this song that I'd expect from such an amazing and professional pop song production. Maybe if I listened to the song five more times, that hook might jump out at me.

Please don't take this as a negative criticism, it's not meant to be. It's just an observation from an otherwise very impressed listener. And not all successful songs have huge, memorable hooks, some kind of grow on you after many listenings.

You've done an amazing job of both recording and production and mixing with this song and I congratulate you.

Best regards,
    Bill

Thanks for the comments! I do know what you mean by a lack of an amazing hook in the chorus. I'm not sure I will be able to come up with a better one, though, especially because I do really like the melody I have there now.
    -Jeff
    Heckxx
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 23:33:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tyacko

Jeff,

Very nice work. The mix sound clean and clear. Well done.

I'd like to suggest tweaking the falseto (sp?) parts. They are a bit pitchy. Use V-Vocal or Melodyne to get them on the note.

In all honesty, you write some really great stuff. This one was very good, but you've for lots of better material.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Thanks! I actually do use Melodyne Uno on every main vocal track. I mis-sung that falsetto part slightly, so I will be going back eventually to record it better.
    landonjohnson
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/24 23:35:17 (permalink)
    I love the many moods it brings out - not much into loops or anything like that - you have a couple but overall it's exxcellent. I think the occasional speech thing is endearing, personally and I do not find it offensive. I do agree with the statement that the highs are too prevalent and not enuff bass (Playiong it on an Altec-Lansing 2.1)

Great job!

Landon Johnson

"We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children"

My Tunes
    Heckxx
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/28 14:38:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Landon...yeah I do have a few things with the mastering I need to fix. Definitely had way too much treble, I think thats what was causing alot of the distorting.

Good news, I am working on my speech a bit, and it does seem I was being a bit sloppy on a few words. So hopefully next time I record the vocals I'll be paying alot more attention to those sort of details!

-Jeff
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: "The Darkness" (Alt-Rock, Pop) 2009/03/28 14:47:10 (permalink)
    Jeff, this is great - you're a pro dude. I really love this.

I do agree a bit with Janet - the mix is a bit bright.

Very nice.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1