The Dream

Author
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
2011/04/02 11:15:08 (permalink)

The Dream

Hi All,
I just finished mixing the first song from my new project and would really appreciate constructive feedback.
Link:  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=972363&content=music

It's all recorded in Sonar Producer 8.5, all guitars, bass, vocals and keys are played live, the drums and percussion are MIDI.
The issue is that my "studio" is sonically pretty bad.  I mixed with quality monitoring headphones and like the mix.  But it's not right through the monitors.

So anything that others hear is welcome advice.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.

27 Replies Related Threads

adrianplunkett
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 198
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 11:32:11 (permalink)
    Love that rockabilly sound - especially in the guitar solo.  I'm thinking this song would sound much better in a live setting.  Do you gig much?

Really good vocal sound in the recording.  Perhaps you could add some more backing vox - to fill the gaps a little.  And add some harmonies in the chorus?  Just my thoughts...
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 11:56:27 (permalink)
    Matt, I love this tune - really nice.

But, if I can say this - the mix to me sounds kind of like it's coming out of a transistor radio - it just lacks dynamics - it might be on my end.

I love your music - just don't particularly care for the mix.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:01:20 (permalink)
    Great song Matt. I love the guitar at 2:30 and especially everything that follows. The vox sound killer with the verb and delay. Some of the guitar riffs had a bit of Georgia Sattelites to them. Very enjoyable.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:06:37 (permalink)
    I'm with my partner. CLEAN.  I like what's going in but not really that hot on what's coming out.  The more I listen the better it sounds.  It does lack a fullness that would really beef up the song.  How do you fix that (if you want to) I don't have a clue.  That's Mark's forte.  The bass about 2:30 or so has a bucket sound to me.  Kinda bland.  That's where I'd start.  NOW, it could be that this is the sound you were going for, kind of a retro sound.  Good song!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:30:07 (permalink)
    Matt,

What I'm learning lately is to pay attention to the bass and kick more.

Check you frequencies of the bass and kick I hear them overlapping to where they are just a rumble. Chances are they are both boosted between 50-80hz (and most likely about the same spot for both).

Good song though.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:49:34 (permalink)
    Matt, I've been playing with this a bit.
    Here's what I've got.
    It's a bit strong in the mids, contributing to the thinnish sound Mark and Warren mention. Also, above 12k.
    I put a fairly wide dip in the 1k to 2k range, and rolled off above 10k.
    I also dropped the low end below 200.
    These dips are maybe 3dB, but helped thicken the sound, and the bass and kick seem to be cleaner.
    The guitar and vox in particular seem to benefit from the 1-2k dip.
    I like the song.
    Very catchy, somewhere between punk and rockabilly.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:53:06 (permalink)

I'm not getting the overlap between the Bass and kick but the kick has sure got a big 'whump' to it, in fact the kit doesn't sound nice to me at all, too much room on the kick and too much comp on the snare.

It does have a bit of a Georgia Sattelites kind of vibe to it so it's hard to for me to pinpoint the vibe you are after without hearing some more of your stuff.

But like others have mentioned there's something likeable here I'm not sure is being shown off to it's best potential.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Slugbaby
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 12:58:25 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone!  These are exactly the type of feedback i was looking for.

Georgia Sattelites, there's an obscure reference I wasn't expecting!   haha

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/02 20:56:41 (permalink)
    I wouldn't have a clue how to fix the mix (and wouldn't be aware that it needed fixing if these guys didn't say it :(  )....but I LOVE the song, the beat, the drive, AND the fact that you're singing when a few months ago you were sure you couldn't.  This is really nice!
    Slugbaby
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/03 11:50:11 (permalink)
    Now for the detailed replies:

Adrian - thanks, I've tried to keep a live feel to the whole batch of songs in my current project.  I haven't played live in 6 or 7 years, but really think that that feel will MAKE an album. 

CLEAN:  You're right about the mix.  It sounded great on my monitoring headphones, alright through my monitors, and pretty bad through ipod headphones plugged into my laptop (which i listened to after seeing these comments).

Rhyno:  Thanks.  I actually wrote 2 versions of this song.  First it was all swampy morose blues thing focussing on the organ and slide guitar.  Then I had a fun rockabilly version of it.  I couldn't decide which I liked so i decided to try combining them.  And those riffs were my best Keith Richards impersonation, but I listened to "keep your hands to yourself" after your comment and had to laugh...

Evadianpug:  Thanks for the compliment on the song itself.  For the bass, i actually WAS going for that bare, 60s motown sound.  I'm going to take it one step further for whatever i do next and use a double bass...

Bapu:  I couldn't really hear what you were describing until I cut out some of those frequencies for the kick.  It is cleaner now.

RobertB:  Thanks for the detailed notes. I applied them all to the overall mix and it did sweeten it.  I might try to focus on those areas for all songs in this project - as the instrumentation and styles are pretty consistant an overall EQ adjust might help make up for what my room is lacking.

JonBuoy:  To much whomp and compression?  I'm going to look into the snare compression, is it just too consistant?  I liked the sound of a loose, roomy kit - to me it fakes some of the 'live sound' that i'm trying to accomplish (even though i'm playing everything myself).

Janet:  Just plain THANKS! 

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/03 12:26:27 (permalink)
    Hi Matt, Nice song, especially like the guitars and those "rockabilly" licks, maybe some distorted slide guitar would be nice ? 

Greetings, Rik
    post edited by morenoise - 2011/04/05 11:08:35
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/03 12:46:16 (permalink)
    Nice song, had a real good groove.

When the song first started, I was like wow everything is down the middle.  But then you opened it up real nice.

Last comment, it seems to end kind of abrupt.

Thanks,

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/03 17:58:27 (permalink)
    Terrific.  You did a great job of blending what started off as to me what sounded like an new version of an old style R 'n R song that blended into a New Wavish/Alternative sound. Very cool!  On my system it sounded as if all tracks were panned very close to the center.  A bit broader separation/panning might give a great number a bit more breadth.

Freddy J
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/03 18:09:51 (permalink)
    Love the tune...mix needs work...but again...I really like the tune..love yer vox!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/05 10:26:22 (permalink)
    nice to 'hear' you again! everyone has your back covered with the mix point, so i will say the tune is excellent as is the playing, and the mix when the acoustic comes in is excellent. to me sounds like a finished mix which needs mastering. singing is very good too!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Slugbaby
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/06 08:38:07 (permalink)
    MoreNoise:  I tried OD'ing the slide originally, but it seemed to lose something in the translation.  I do like the sound though, so it's something i want to use in other tracks.

Kroneborge:  The centred beginning wasn't really on purpose. It's just that I naturally keep all those instruments in the middle:  kick, snare, single vocal, and single guitar track.  The first time I heard the bridge section come in while wearing headphones, I was surprised at how it exploded.  But it was a GOOD surprise... haha

Freddy:  I was worried that using a standard RnR/ New Wave rhythm might get boring.  Just D/A/G/D on 8th notes.  I naturally started to emphasize certain beats, and i think that kept it from being too mechanical.  To me, anyway.

Thanks Pogue.  Mixing is my weak area - I'm trying, and i'm learning.  That's what makes this forum so invaluable.  And thanks for complimenting the vocals - i've been taking operatic vocal lessons for the last year, and they're starting to pay off.

MGH:  thanks!  Where've you been?

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/07 17:35:52 (permalink)
    Strong song, and well executed.  Kinda' hit me somewhere between The Cars and Petty, and that's pretty damned good in my book.  Really liked it.
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/08 03:49:42 (permalink)
    Hi, Matt,

Cool song with a great early 80's live feel to it!

I'm on my third listen.  Nicely written, well played and sung, and a really good job on the arrangement.  I think a little minor EQ surgery could beef up the bottom end punch and high end sparkle a little bit, and will address the thinness that Warren and Mark mentioned above.

The vocals sound excellent, but my only minor suggestion would be to maybe throw in a vocal harmony part or two, just to fill out the choruses and add some extra texture to the mix.  Don't get me wrong, I really think the song sounds fantastic as it is, but a harmony part might turn out to be some tasty icing on the cake.

Anyway, really nice job on this, Matt, have a good one!
    Bob

Slugbaby
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/08 08:29:56 (permalink)
    Philz and Bob,
    Thanks for the encouragement.  The Cars, Petty, and 'early 80s live' all have great connotations for me.
    I've always been a weak singer, and have taken lessons for the last year (refuse to use autotune).  I'm glad to see that they're paying off...

As for all the positive songwriting feedback, i'm getting excited.  There are 9 other songs in this "album" i'm working on, and my favourite is whichever i'm hearing at that moment.  I may have hit a personal high point this year.

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/08 09:31:06 (permalink)
    That's cool, Matt.  :)
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/10 22:13:14 (permalink)
    great tune --- + + + 1
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/13 10:00:04 (permalink)
    Hi Matt,

Hope you don't mind me dragging this back up from page 2, but I really like this song. It does sound a little empty and a little restrained though, I could hear some counter-melody guitar going on after the first chorus. Definitely a new-wave vibe, reminded me of The Motors (our version of The Cars I suppose )

The break-down at 2:30 lost the momentum somewhat, it was almost Pink Floyd territory there.

But...I really do like the song!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/13 10:16:06 (permalink)
    I'd bring the vox down a bit in the mix. They sound good, just a little too up front. But then I always say that with the Ramones - I wish their guitars were more "in your face", so maybe what you've got is what you're going for.

I like the break with the change-up and the slide guitar. Very creative and unexpected - loved it!!
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/13 10:18:23 (permalink)
    I really like what you've done here. No extra comments on the mix.

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/13 13:41:21 (permalink)
    Astonishing work and beauty ... especially with the live garage feel.  My opinions are totally mine and are probably ... as this 'child' is a serious work of art already.

1) Tape and delay on the lead vox to thicken (1st half primarily)

2) Because this is a live spontaneous feel ... you probably won't re-do many vox takes (in sections)
    ... but if this is meant to be a studio mix with a live fresh feel ... you might could work more on overdubbing with more lead vox authority ... and process the sweet lead vox as the dominant element (Melodyne, radio, echoes, etc.) ... that you've successfully started to do (the 2nd half of the song). 

3) Motown tamborines (shaken and stirred) (or cabasas) to enhance the mids, add balance/padding, compliment the reverb dissonances, and/or increase the overall cheer (if cheer-comfort is needed).

4) Louder bassline and bottom end in the chorus-like sections

Again this a wonderful and powerful Brit-child (to my ears) and I thoroughly love it: I may be way off on my creative ponderings and biases.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    octoberroad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/13 15:24:20 (permalink)
    Great song and overall tune. Plenty of others have commented on the vox but i'll echo them...i really like the sound you achieved...very clear and right out front. Do you mind sharing what settings you used to get such a great vocal sound? The riffs and hooks are cool and the middle was unexpected. Very nice work.

~Jeff
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:The Dream 2011/04/14 02:47:12 (permalink)

You had me on the intro riff!!!!

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1