Helpful ReplyThe Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2017/09/01 22:35:21 (permalink)

The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08

This month’s release for SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum brings new features along with fixes & enhancements to many key elements of SONAR. 

New Features 

The Start Screen is an important part of SONAR, in this update we have continued to refine it by making the project creation process more straightforward with new templates, we are now displaying Demo Projects when installed (Coming Soon), and with the Discover tab you be able to more easily find news about Cakewalk and SONAR.  

The New Discover Tab 
(Artist, Professional, and Platinum)

The Start Screen will now display new notifications through the Discover Tab. In this tab you’ll see news about Cakewalk and SONAR, New Expansion Packs, Free content from our 30th Anniversary Celebration and be able to find all the latest issues of Tech+Music. 

New Demo Projects (Coming Soon) 

When the forthcoming Demo Projects installer is installed onto the computer the Start Screen will now display a Demo Projects tab. The Demo Projects installer will be available for all versions of SONAR including SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum. The Demo projects are a great way to get started with SONAR for first time users but can also be used to experiment with new features. We’ll be continuing to add new news as well as periodically refresh them with new content.   

Start Screen Improvements

Using Ctrl + N or Ctrl+O it is now possible to create a new default project from the Start Screen as well as open a project from your drive. Clicking the New Project tab will now display templates and in this update we have streamlined the templates that are installed with SONAR. In addition, using the list view now display 16 projects simultaneously.  New users will now see 6 templates installed for each version of SONAR; Empty Project, Basic, 4-Track, 16-Track, Guitar Amps, and Vocals.

To remove older templates, you can navigate to the Cakewalk Content folder and select your version and open the Project Templates folder.

Simplified Help Menu
The help menu in SONAR previously had many many things in there and could sometimes be confusing to navigate. We have simplified this greatly and made the menu much more straightforward. 

Fixes and Enhancements
(Platinum, Professional, and Artist)

General
  • Paste Special did not respect Destination Track in some situations during Paste
  • Creating FX Chains previously not add parameters to a control unless it was added twice
Stability
  • Dithering to 24-bit when exporting FLAC previously could cause unexpected crackles in the exported file
  • Resolved an issue where SONAR may crash on OMF Export
Track View
  • Drag reordering a bus would was off by 1 when moved to a new position
  • Editing minimized Track View clips was previously difficult to slip-edit/crop on the right edge
Piano Roll View
  • The Transform Tool no longer bounces clips together when doing velocity changes
  • The Transform button now reflects Hard or Soft mode in the button when switching
  • The Transform Tool’s Mask mode will now respond to Hard and Soft mode when Drawing through the Transform box
  • Transform Tool now responds correctly when “Show Velocity on Selected Notes Only” is selected
  • Transform Tool did not display preview correctly in certain conditions

To participate, you can obtain the Early Access release via:
  • Cakewalk Command Center under the Rollback menu. Steps:
    • Start Command Center
    • Click the Settings button
    • Click the Check Now button
    • In the Connected Products list, right-click on the product or suite name you want early access to
    • Choose Rollback > Early Access 2017.08 from the context menu
  • Through your products download page, under "Available Downloads."
    • Click the "Show Other Downloads" button to reveal the link.
If you encounter any critical issues prior to official public release, post them to the Problem Reports Forum. Please include SONAR 2017.08 Early Access in the post title, and refrain from including issues not related to SONAR 2017.08 as they may get missed. We’ll do our best to lock posts as we confirm the reports.

Thank you for your participation,
Cakewalk

Lance Riley
Product Manager
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 01:31:09 (permalink)
Is that it? Seriously? You've had all month and this is all you've managed to come up with? Only joking :) Seeing as you mentioned the start screen a couple of times, I'll be interested to see if I can use it again - for a while now when launching a recent project from the start screen it crashes on load up. If I launch the project from File > Recent it loads fine. I have had to get into a habit of killing the start screen as soon as Sonar loads for that reason - for me it causes problems.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 02:19:29 (permalink)
I like it.  I know this isn't the kind of hard core feature set that gets the heartbeat up with long-term users. But this is the kind of "front door" that will allow new users to walk in and not be intimidated so much, and that is good for everybody.  And it looks like a good ratio of bug fixes to new features.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 03:17:23 (permalink)
Like the new Discover tab. Looks good. Checking the rest out now.

[edit]
I like how there is now a link in the Discover section for the Tech Mag! Good thinking.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
tonydude
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 07:15:04 (permalink)
I think it's really great to focus on delivering one feature during a monthly sprint. 

I'm really looking forward to the new start screen.

~ Tony
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 11:30:35 (permalink)
It would like it if the "existing projects" are as shown as the "recent" projects. With a preview picture as well.
And not only opening a dialog box and closing the start screen.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 14:00:31 (permalink)
I also like the Discover tab.  This looks like a solid release this month with features vs. bug squishes.

Thanks Bakers!   

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 15:44:43 (permalink)
OK... I couldn't hold off any longer, so trusting in The Bakers. I've updated...

Thankfully, The start screen is still not forced... So I'm feeling great!

I took a look at it again just in case I found I was missing something, but I still find no advantage for myself...

Now to check out the fixes....

Thanks Bakers!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
THERAPSMITH
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 16:36:55 (permalink)
I like it!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 21:54:31 (permalink)
THambrecht
It would like it if the "existing projects" are as shown as the "recent" projects. With a preview picture as well.
And not only opening a dialog box and closing the start screen.

I'm not understanding what you mean. I have in excess of 888 files in my projects folder. All are Sonar project related. I would hate to have all of them listed with pictures and taking up the time and room to display them in the start screen. Plus I can get to them very quickly by hitting the proper tab with my mouse or my finger with a touch screen. That is if this is what you are talking about.

I get the wish to re-engineer it to suit our own personal needs but I don't think that is possible. I like it as it is and appreciate the tweaking it has received. So far CW has improved it well without needing to consult me.   

Best
John
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 22:24:38 (permalink)
I like the demo projects. I like to see what others are doing with Sonar.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 22:26:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby reza 2017/09/03 17:53:10
So with the old start screen I could click New Project and could just start working away on a blank project. Now I'm forced to create a new folder and name any new project I start. I really dislike this. I liked being able to open a blank project I had no intention of saving to do testing. This just seems like a cumbersome route that will leave me with a ton of useless project folders.
THambrecht
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 22:42:49 (permalink)
@John
Maybe my english is not sufficient, because I have to translate from german.
Therefore we misunderstood us.
I don't want to see the preview of thousends of files.
I only want to see the preview of the cwp-files (the project files).
In my case the folder of "recent files" shows the preview picture of 12 projects.
If I choose "existing project" I would like to see the 25 preview pictures (icons) from my 25 projects of the disc. 
Nothing more.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

THambrecht
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 23:14:27 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
So with the old start screen I could click New Project and could just start working away on a blank project. Now I'm forced to create a new folder and name any new project I start. I really dislike this. I liked being able to open a blank project I had no intention of saving to do testing. This just seems like a cumbersome route that will leave me with a ton of useless project folders.

SONAR needs a folder and a projectname in order to save audio and mixscenes. SONAR does not know that you never want to save your work. Otherwise SONAR has to force you to select a folder at the the first audio recording, which would be even more annoying. A project is not just a excel file that can be saved after some time. It needs an audiofolder.

RSMCGUITAR
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/02 23:15:31 (permalink)
THambrecht
SONAR needs a folder and a projectname in order to save audio and mixscenes. SONAR does not know that you never want to save your work. Otherwise SONAR has to force you to select a folder at the the first audio recording, which would be even more annoying.

Clearly not true since I could do it before this update.
IanPritchett
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 13:57:39 (permalink)
I really wish that new features would be left out until all the known bugs and issues are sorted. I would much rather have reliability and stability with processes functioning as they should. Sonar is great but adding more features when what is there already has holes in it makes no sense to me.

Intel i7-6700
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3
16 GB RAM
WINDOWS 7 64
Sonar Platinum
AMD Radeon R7 200 series Graphics Card
LYNX AES16e with Lynx Aroura 8 and Apogee Rosetta 800.
MOTU 828 mk2 for mobile.
UAD2 DUO
Soundtoys 5 bundle
Fabfilter
Waves
TAL
and many more plugins
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 14:33:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stevesweat 2017/09/03 17:40:07
RSMCGUITAR

I thought that too at first, but actually it's better now because typing Ctrl+N at any time, whether the start screen is showing or not, duplicates the behavior you could obtain before only by clicking on New Project while the Start Screen was open. All will be revealed in the next Tech+Music eZine 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 14:37:54 (permalink)
IanPritchett
I really wish that new features would be left out until all the known bugs and issues are sorted.

hello early access and monthly release cycle? very agile, no?

just a sec

Anderton
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 14:44:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/09/03 18:07:07
IanPritchett
I really wish that new features would be left out until all the known bugs and issues are sorted. I would much rather have reliability and stability with processes functioning as they should. Sonar is great but adding more features when what is there already has holes in it makes no sense to me.

Some people would prefer updates with new features, some people prefer updates with bug fixes. This is why there is a balance of both. If you look over the bug fixes and speed improvements that happened over the past year, many long-standing bugs have been squashed. Some months are particularly bug-fix heavy, like the 2016.12 update. But then people complain there are no new features 

Also bear in mind that something has to be repeatable to be considered a bug. There are a lot of threads started here about "bugs" that are actually due to pilot error, system issues, third-party plug-ins not following the VST3 spec correctly, or hardware drivers. Unfortunately, I've found that stability often has a direct correlation with a) how much you spend on your computer, and b) how much software you have on it. 

My background is from the days of stand-alone multitrack recorders, so it was natural for me to dedicate a computer purely for audio/video work. I think that has a lot to do with why my system is so stable, and I can use SONAR for days and even weeks on end with no issues. My last big problem was Melodyne causing intermittent crashes, but downloading the Melodyne 4.1 update solved that. Cakewalk has no control over those types of issues.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 19:25:25 (permalink)
Liking the new start screen, but there used to be a link to "The Bakery" top right of the start screen . . . does this mean "The Bakery" is gone ? . . . or just moved somewhere else ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 20:42:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/09/04 11:16:54
The Bakery is still there - bakery.cakewalk.com - but you're right, the link that used to be on the Start Screen is no longer there on this pre-release. Maybe the analytics were telling them that hardly anyone was using it? Or they just decided to de-prioritize it for whatever reason. It seems odd to maintain two forums anyway, but there are stranger things in the world. I thought it might have been moved to the Discover tab, and perhaps that will still happen, but it doesn't seem to be there as of now. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
RSMCGUITAR
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 20:44:26 (permalink)
I tried to use the bakery. I really did. But it would be hard to describe it as anything but a failure.
IanPritchett
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 23:17:26 (permalink)
I'm refering mainly to the clone track gain setting issue that continues through track templates. Not pilot error. Also the cloned vst tempo issue.

Intel i7-6700
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3
16 GB RAM
WINDOWS 7 64
Sonar Platinum
MOTU 828 mk2 for mobile.
UAD2 DUO
Soundtoys 5 bundle
Fabfilter
Waves
TAL
and many more plugins
IanPritchett
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/03 23:26:46 (permalink)
Thanks for the patronising response though

Intel i7-6700
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3
16 GB RAM
WINDOWS 7 64
Sonar Platinum
MOTU 828 mk2 for mobile.
UAD2 DUO
Soundtoys 5 bundle
Fabfilter
Waves
TAL
and many more plugins
taccess
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 11:09:07 (permalink)
Thanks Cakewalk

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 11:18:13 (permalink)
I had not heard of http://bakery.cakewalk.com until now. Thanks for the info.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 14:25:59 (permalink)
gswitz
I had not heard of http://bakery.cakewalk.com until now. Thanks for the info.

I must be missing something.  It seems entirely redundant with this forum.  It says the mission is "a community for Cakewalk users to ask questions, share ideas and discuss audio recording and production technology".  Isn't that the mission of  forum.cakewalk.com?

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Anderton
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 15:08:33 (permalink)
IanPritchett
Thanks for the patronising response though

I apologize if it came off that way. I don't know the level of expertise of someone posting, nor did you mention specific bugs to which I could say "yes, I've confirmed those." So I gave a general response that I was hoping would be of general interest. Of course it's true that there are still things in SONAR that need to be fixed (my pet issue is the non-working attack time in strip silence). But it's also true that a lot of the posts about bugs in this and other DAW forums end up not being about the DAW itself.

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 15:18:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/09/04 16:10:15
IanPritchett

This is only my opinion but..

Cakewalk has to create a game plan and decide which problems likely effect more percentage of users.
What might be more important to you or me.. might not be "as" important to someone else.

Last months update was 100% all bug fixes, no new features and This month update is almost all bug fixes except some Start screen enhancements.
I know im going out on a limb here, but it appears Cakewalk is making bug fixes a big priority.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: The Early Access Program is Now Live for the Upcoming Release of SONAR 2017.08 2017/09/04 16:10:55 (permalink)
+1 for what Chuck said.  

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1