The First Recording Studio

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
2006/08/27 10:15:59 (permalink)

The First Recording Studio

I thought this was interesting. These photos (except for the speaker enclosure) are of Thomas Edison's music recording room at the Edison factory in New Jersey. The first photo is from about 1890. If you don't know the history of recording, that big horn you see sticking out was used for both recording and playback. Edison experimented with all kinds of horn materials and sizes (some as much as 15 feet across). When recording, a player/singer would get close to the horn just like a microphone and the horn would pick up vibrations from the air and mechanically move a stylus over a wax cylinder (they later switched to celluloid plastic in 1912) and it would cut grooves into the wax as it spun around. To play back the recording, the opposite would happen (sort of) and the vibrations would be transferred from the stylus to the horn.

In the majority of the photographs I've seen from the Edison factory, the piano was always high in the air for some reason. No doubt this had to do with the way sound traveled in the room and the loudness of the piano in ratio to singers and other instruments. They had to carefully and strategically place musicians at various distances from the recording horn to get a good overall level just like with the later developed microphones.

Microphones weren't used until 1927 so virtually all recordings were made acoustically/mechanically with a horn previous to this. The first microphones didn't sound much better than the horns but they produced a much louder signal. Still, if you ever got close to a windup Edison Diamond Disc player from the early 1920's they were quite loud. They used a mechanical damping mechanism to raise and lower the volume that worked remarkably well by simply moving a padded ball shape in toward the playback horn to cut the volume. Other companies just placed the horn/speaker behind a wooden door and you controlled the volume by opening and closing the doors a smidge. Not rocket science eh?

See all those horns sticking out in the background in the following photo? Ever wonder how they made copies of records in the early days of recording? They didn't. They simply placed anywhere from 5 to 15 cylinder recorders in the room and made that many recordings at once. Then they'd reload new wax cylinders in the machines and the musicians would play the same tune again. They'd keep repeating the process. In about an hour's time you'd have around 90 recordings of the same song via 5 to 10 different takes. So if you buy a cylinder recording of Len Spencer doing his comedy routine to the tune of "The Arkansas Traveler" in 1906 you might get one of several different takes he did at that session. That was a big record back in the day and he did several recording sessions featuring the same song over about a 20-year period, so there are likely to be around 50-takes of that comedy bit he did.

The good ole days eh? Maybe not. Well... it must have been exciting even if a little tedious.

40 Replies Related Threads

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/27 10:57:18 (permalink)
    Neat pics man! Thanx for the lil history lesson

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/27 11:35:15 (permalink)
    Hey, somebody'd awake on a Sunday morning!
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/27 20:32:35 (permalink)
    Must have been just before eveyone went Po'Tools...
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/27 21:52:31 (permalink)
    Hey Bill,

Where do you find all of this great stuff you continue to post?

I definitely enjoy them!

Keep 'em coming.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/27 23:52:26 (permalink)
    Actually its all part of a mission to try and find a microphone that Frank hasn't owned. These Edison horns were the best I could do.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2006/08/28 00:06:26
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 00:01:05 (permalink)
    Good stuff Joe. The crazy part is that this is pre electricity.
    ohhey
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 00:05:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Actually its all part of a mission to try and find a microphone that Frank hasn't owned. These Edison horns were the best I could do.

LOL ! That does it... now I have to find one on e-bay. Oh.. and a wax recorder... Best of all you don't need a preamp I'll bet Thomas was a gear slut too... look at that place it's a mess... and not one hit song came out of it.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/08/28 00:20:17
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 07:16:45 (permalink)
    Joe ,
    You find some cool things to post, as usual I enjoyed this history lesson...
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 19:25:30 (permalink)
    and not one hit song came out of it.

That gpt me thinking. We normally think of a hit as something that sells a million records or more. I decided to do some simple math (so simple even I could could do it) and if a guy could record 100 wax rolls per hour of a song, and recorded the same song 16-hours a day, everyday, for a year, he'd still only have 584,000 recordings of the song in a year's time. If you wanted to record a hit in those days, a guy would have his work cut out for him!

You find some cool things to post, as usual I enjoyed this history lesson

Well, you know wha they say, those that can--do, and those that can't--teach. Maybe I finally found my calling!
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 19:34:57 (permalink)
    For about 5 seconds I was thinking of posting that first pic on my studio website and saying "welcome to LnL Recording"

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/28 20:28:55 (permalink)
    There ya go.
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 00:06:06 (permalink)
    Hey,

Whenever I have a moment, I check out the forums 'cause there's ALWAYS something interesting here. Thanks, really interesting stuff!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

ohhey
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 02:15:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krizrox

For about 5 seconds I was thinking of posting that first pic on my studio website and saying "welcome to LnL Recording"

You know it would make a great music video to re-create that setting with the performers singing into the horns. You could even have "TE" on wax doing a scratch or two Have some guy in a hip hop DJ outfit with Thomas Edison's head CGIed on his body scratching on the wax cylinder. Make the entire video look like old black and white film and build the set to look EXACTLY like the photos.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/08/29 02:30:07
    krizrox
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 14:04:43 (permalink)
    Hey wait a minute - I think that's Yep's living room

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 16:51:37 (permalink)

Time was, it was not far off...

Now with computers everything is so much smaller and neater, but it sure doesn't look as cool...

Cheers.
    ohhey
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 17:21:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

Time was, it was not far off...

Now with computers everything is so much smaller and neater, but it sure doesn't look as cool...

Cheers.

LOL ! yeah.. my studio doesn't look much like a studio anymore. All I have is one rack of gear and most of that is not used it's just playback devcies for dead formats in case a customer brings in a DAT, LP, or cassette. Some day I'll get a desk with some rack space and I can get rid of the last of my racks. The only wow factor now is the one wall covered in Guitars.
    gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/29 23:29:26 (permalink)
    what's even more amazing is people need their players repaired so they can keep playing their wax/shellac cylinders... http://www.gramophonedoctor.com/

plus a preservation project which has some interesting links to the material they're trying to preserve.
    http://www.library.ucsb.edu/speccoll/pa/cylinders.html

and if you want to go nuts... http://www.garlic.com/~tgracyk/

you would think that music recording and production would be better 100 years later... :-)

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

ohhey
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 00:51:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gullfo
    you would think that music recording and production would be better 100 years later... :-)

Well.. from the sound of the overcompressed, distorted, drivn' to clipping CDs I've purchased lately I'd say there is something about "better" some people can't stand. You have to buy very old CDs off e-bay to get decent sound... god I can't wait till this fad is over.. I hope I live long enought to see HiFi come back.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 10:02:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    ...Well.. from the sound of the overcompressed, distorted, drivn' to clipping CDs I've purchased lately I'd say there is something about "better" some people can't stand. You have to buy very old CDs off e-bay to get decent sound... god I can't wait till this fad is over.. I hope I live long enought to see HiFi come back.

There is hope in DVD audio. Most DVDs I hear take good advantage of digital's capabilities. Sometimes almost too much (!)-- ever try and watch a DVD of an action or effects movie when some's asleep in the next room? You need to ride the faders with a remote! Of course, the early CDs were like that, too. Remember how huge dynamic range was an early selling point of CD format?

I really think the best hope lies in the introduction of compression circuits or metadata decoders in consumer playback devices. I have a couple of TVs that have "AVL" or "smart volume" settings, and my digital cable allows for three levels of compression. Windows media player has similar features, but all of these are obscure settings with enigmatic names buried in submenus. What's really needed is a one-button switch on the remote and the front of the device, like the "loudness" switches you used to see on hifi recievers. If these become common on car stereos and home playback systems, then hopefully the loudness race will not seep into DVD audio, and people will start to think of DVD sound as the new "benchmark," and other formats will follow suit.

In fairness to the loudness race, I think what really started the slide was the virtual abandonment of the cassette and widespread use of CD players in cars. If CDs are going to be listened to in cars, they almost need to be compressed. Listening to symphonic CDs in a typical car at highway speeds in an excersize in volume adjustment. If you turn it up enough that the quiet passages aren't masked by road, wind, and engine noise, then the loud parts will clip the stereo.

Cheers.
    ohhey
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 10:24:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey
    ...Well.. from the sound of the overcompressed, distorted, drivn' to clipping CDs I've purchased lately I'd say there is something about "better" some people can't stand. You have to buy very old CDs off e-bay to get decent sound... god I can't wait till this fad is over.. I hope I live long enought to see HiFi come back.

There is hope in DVD audio. Most DVDs I hear take good advantage of digital's capabilities. Sometimes almost too much (!)-- ever try and watch a DVD of an action or effects movie when some's asleep in the next room? You need to ride the faders with a remote! Of course, the early CDs were like that, too. Remember how huge dynamic range was an early selling point of CD format?

I really think the best hope lies in the introduction of compression circuits or metadata decoders in consumer playback devices. I have a couple of TVs that have "AVL" or "smart volume" settings, and my digital cable allows for three levels of compression. Windows media player has similar features, but all of these are obscure settings with enigmatic names buried in submenus. What's really needed is a one-button switch on the remote and the front of the device, like the "loudness" switches you used to see on hifi recievers. If these become common on car stereos and home playback systems, then hopefully the loudness race will not seep into DVD audio, and people will start to think of DVD sound as the new "benchmark," and other formats will follow suit.

In fairness to the loudness race, I think what really started the slide was the virtual abandonment of the cassette and widespread use of CD players in cars. If CDs are going to be listened to in cars, they almost need to be compressed. Listening to symphonic CDs in a typical car at highway speeds in an excersize in volume adjustment. If you turn it up enough that the quiet passages aren't masked by road, wind, and engine noise, then the loud parts will clip the stereo.

Cheers.

I think having a compressor on playback devices is the answer also, the factory radio / CD in my 1995 Ford Mustang had a compressor button and it worked perfect. Another example of how things were getting better then they started to slide about the time folks started trading MP3s. My theory is that CDs were compressed like that to make the MP3s sound worse to prevent piracy, the MP3 encoders don't expect all things to be the same volume.
    krizrox
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 13:20:41 (permalink)

Cheers.

It's funny you should mention this. The other day I was listening to an old King Crimson CD in my car and for like 20 minutes I didn't hear anything. It took that long for my brain to kick in I guess. I jacked up the volume and still couldn't hear anything. I took the CD home and listened to it on my stereo and the first 20 minutes were like little bells and cymbal hits and wierd noises. You almost needed headphones even with the home stereo. I don't know - some of that early 70's progressive rock stuff. I think you had to be stoned to enjoy it or understand it. Now that I'm straight and sober, a lot of that old stuff doesn't seem to have the same impact it once did.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 17:30:36 (permalink)
    Now that I'm straight and sober, a lot of that old stuff doesn't seem to have the same impact it once did.

I thought it was an age thing. LOL! Maybe its just me. But I really don't care about playing guitar or listening to anybody else play anymore either. The old records just don't mean much to me now. The old Edison recordings I've collected are mostly spoken word things. I've got Florence Nightingale, Gladstone, Tennyson, Robert Browning, Teddy Roosevelt, Conan Doyle, WB Yeats, Marconi, Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, Ernest Shackleton etc. The music I usually pass on. And I mostly listen to talk radio in my truck. I think CD's have sounded terrible for the past several years too but on the other hand, I seldom listen to them anyway. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about selling all my music gear (again!) I probably will in the next year.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2006/08/30 21:10:47
    krizrox
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 18:26:53 (permalink)
    I should rephrase something: straight and (usually) sober

I don't listen to my CD's as much either but not for lack of want. That's one of the occupational hazards of running a studio. I'm listening to music all day long (client projects) and the last thing I want to hear when I shut down for the day is more music But you're right - the sound quality of the modern stuff just doesn't sit well with me. I was listening to a digital remaster of Aqualung the other day and thinking - ewww - doesn't sound as warm as I remember it as a kid. Kinda cold and sterile sounding.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/30 20:55:20 (permalink)
    If you want to hear a hard limiting nightmare, pick up a copy of "One" by the Beatles. I think its all songs by them that were number one on Billboard. I got it for my sister last year and was stunned by how bad it sounded. Nothing sounds worse than listening to rock radio now though. They've got all these loud, distorted CD's to begin with and then have to compress the heck out of them. FM rock has never sounded this bad. By contrast, try to catch a broadcast of "World Cafe" on PBS. Its usually on Friday nights where I'm at. Mostly its acoustic based stuff i.e. Bruce Cockburn, Mary Chapin Carpenter etc. I've noticed that acoustic musicians don't tend to have CD's mastered as poorly as rock. Maybe because there are fewer sales in them and a lot of acoustic musicians are recording and mastering at home like a lot of us. I guess anyway. But I don't know why anyone would pay to have a CD professionaly mastered these days. The professionals sure sound like amatuers.
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/31 16:23:07 (permalink)
    Bob Katz would agree with you.

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/31 16:28:56 (permalink)
    Do you suppose the room in the second picture is a reverb chamber?
    Any other guesses?

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/08/31 20:30:05 (permalink)
    The second pic is from about 1905, as is the fourth pic of the band. Even though that big room in the second pic with wood all around looks like it would produce a nice natural reverb, those old cylinder recorders only produced a very small midrange frequency. No reverb would have been noticed in it; only the sound close to the horn would have been picked up at all. I've listened to tons of old Edison cylinders, as well as gramaphone and diamond discs records, and nothing I've ever heard that was made before the mid to late 30's (78's) sounded like it had any reverb/echo in it. There's just was't enough high-end to pick it up. And of course the purists out there wouldn't want you to put any fake reverb on any of it. Between you and me though, I've experimented with some reverb on some things that came out sounded bigger and fuller because of it. The purists wouldn't even have you use noise reduction.
    sms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 317
    RE: The First Recording Studio 2006/09/12 22:24:15 (permalink)

Ever try and watch a DVD of an action or effects movie when some's asleep in the next room? You need to ride the faders with a remote!

Since this is an actual problem for me right now, let me offer a solution, at least if you watch on your computer: VLC. It's a free, GNU multimedia player (as well as streaming server and several other things). If you go to SETTINGS / EXTENDED GUI, the third panel has options for volume normalization as well as hard limiting.

It's my favorite video player, as it uses no external codecs and thus can play tons of stuff other players choke on. That, and it plays smoothly when all kinds of competitors get all stuttery on me.

Come and visit the Sonar Wiki! And contribute your own experience and knowledge while you're there!
    sms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 317
    The First Intercontinental Jam! 2006/09/12 22:49:23 (permalink)
    Just another bit of early music trivia for ya...

The first intercontinental jam session happened on March 5, 1934, when tango singer Carlos Gardel sang from NBC Radio's New York studios, accompanied by his guitarrists in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The combined performance was transmitted in Argentina. Amazing to think that something that's just now catching on over the internet was first done 72 years ago! The intercontinental part of the transmission was made over short wave.

Gardel also recorded what are probably the first music videos, in 1930. They were (of course) recorded on film and played in theaters before or after newsreels, among other things.

And by the way, having amassed about 500 of his songs (he recorded about 1500 in his 45 years), which go from 1917 to 1935, I can vouch that the early electric (microphone) recordings were vastly inferior to well-made acoustic/mechanical ones. And since Gardel recorded in Argentina, France and the US, I assume this is universally true.

Come and visit the Sonar Wiki! And contribute your own experience and knowledge while you're there!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1