The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 22:29:07 (permalink)
This is fabulous. I didn't hear the first version but this sets pretty well mixwise. I haven't used garritan so I don't know if it is limiting how you stage the instruments? But my approach would be for the lead instrument - piano, to take center stage and let the other instruments build a frame around it.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 22:38:30 (permalink)
I am not versed enough to comment on any of the mixing but this song sure sounds good to me.

Freddy J
alkie
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2706
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 23:07:51 (permalink)
Your on your way girl, this is a nice mix, now you just have to learn how to get that big orchestra sound and when you do tell me how LOL.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
because he knows the time is short.....
let him who hath understanding.....
reckon the number of the beast.....
for it is a human number...
it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 23:08:54 (permalink)
Kev--thank you, sir! ;-)

Robby--yep, I'm at the piano, and that's the best seat in the house for me!

Gary--thank you so much! I didn't know I had this much determination in me to keep at this. Must be the stubbornness coming out or something.

Thal--thank you too! I didn't add any vibrato and found out you can't. So I don't know how to reduce it. But I'm glad it sounds human! :-)

Mark--Garritan does actually have the panning built into the instruments but it can be changed. I'm still not sure about the piano. It's where it's supposed to be for an orchestra, but perhaps it should be out front with it soloing as much as it ended up doing. I'm sure this isn't the final mix yet...

Freddy--thank you!
Mamabear
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 23:10:45 (permalink)
Alan--you were typing while I was... So, it's not big enough yet? Maybe turn it up louder?? Anyway, I imagine I have one or two more things to learn about this stuff. But maybe I'll try a hard rockin' tune next just for kicks. LOL
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/23 23:33:09 (permalink)
Janet is a beautiful and special person, and her music is beautiful and special as well.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/24 00:01:17 (permalink)
Perfect, lovely, delightful.

No negs at all to my ears (on my laptop).

A theoretical wish-list that probably doesn't apply to this song in particular, but my songs and everyones':
I suppose wider (macro-) dynamics ... sections that are lower volume, flowing at a different tempos, rests (with peace and quite), etc. might be considered on our symphonic pieces.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/24 13:40:53 (permalink)

those distorted guitars just dont sound right? but i love that
banjo.

well you know im kidding.

janet you've done an exelant job with the re doing of things.
maybe before you were trying to widen things by panning
very strongly before. alltough you still have instruments to
the left and right here there is a balance.

if i may ill get off the subject of this tune for a moment ill
speak about something im thinking right now.

A piano's sound and how we here it.

sitting at the piano the lower notes are stronger in the left ear
and the higher notes are stronger in the right ear. and middle "C"
is of coures in the middle.

your piano work is your trademark and strings of coures are
another of your strong points. it seems your putting more
imphasis on strings more lately and thats good its giving your
work some more colors.

what i see happening is the strings are getting the "limelight"
and the piano is acompanying. so id guess you have acomplished
your goal and done it well.

however for my "own" personal taste id like to hear it the other
way around. id like to hear the piano like i was sitting right there
at it as if i was the player giving the piano a personal touch and
sound as well as perception.

the piano would be centered "but" it would be three demensional
as well. low notes stronger on the left and high notes stronger on
the right. depth from the middle.

of course this is in contrast to a stuiation such as live where
the listener is "not" at the piano.

i guess that means i have no crits. great work beutifull song
and work. i just got a request (you know the audeince does that
sometimes)

do a song where it sounds like im right there at the piano.
you know? like youve seen on tv where a piano player is being
inreveiwd or featured on a show and a person is sitting right
there on the bench with the player.

hum? and the string players are around that same area too.
surrounding the piano? jill is on the left bob is on the right
mandy is at the end and all those other players everywhere
in between.

you know i like this one as well as your others and ive lost
count as to how many times ive listened to this and the others
so i guess that says it all.

jimmy

Mamabear
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/24 13:55:40 (permalink)
Robby--thank you.

Philip--I hear ya. When I hear music, one of the things I love is the changes (are the changes? LOL--oh well...) But I sometimes have a hard time DOING it that way. I feel like in this song there were some changes--different instruments playing at different times. I tried to get just the violins, violas and flutes playing at first, but no one liked the left-sidedness, so that didn't work. (I'd like to know how to do that...but later.) Then I wanted just the piano later, but that sounded too sparse, so I added something. But everything gets to play at once at the end so at least that was a change. And that was fun to write! :-) But yeah, thanks for the reminder. You're very right!

Jimmy--I know what you mean. Some libraries actually have different mic positions so you can set the stage for where you want the audience to be (or the piano to be). GPO doesn't have that. So far it's never made a difference to me, since I'm always used to hearing the piano from the piano bench. Now I realize that could/should be changed, but I have no idea how to do that with the tools I have. As far as featuring the piano and placing the other instruments around it--most of my other pieces are like that. This one was supposed to be mostly the other instruments, but somehow I 'forgot' to give the other instruments the lead parts, so the piano part that I first laid down had to stay. Yes, I realize I could change it, but this thing has already taken about a month longer than I was hoping. I'm sure it's not done yet though... Anyway, thanks again. I'm humbled that you like my music.
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/24 21:05:36 (permalink)
Janet,

This is a beautifully creative song. Love the instrumentation. Very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing,
Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/24 21:24:12 (permalink)
Janet, I like your right side? I like your left side? And everything in the middle too! :-)

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
GrottoRob
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 677
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix 2009/03/24 21:31:11 (permalink)
Hey, Janet-

No crits from me as this isn't my area, however I did play it at a good, strong volume to hear "all of it", and once again, my totally impartial girlfriend came downstairs and said "what's this? This is really pretty."

So, You've got a fan in upstate new york that doesn't know JACK about recording, arranging, MIDI, or softsynths (besides me) that digs yer stuff solely on SOUND...

BTW, I have a younger brother in Missouri....Guitar player/songwriter.....Oh, nevermind...

Nice-
Rob
mose
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix 2009/03/24 21:57:50 (permalink)
The sound is more full across the whole sound stage. I like the way each instrument enters and leaves with the piano as the foundation. I am impressed with what you have been able to do. It was an ambitious project but turned out quite well. You're inspiring me to think about some kind of orchestral piece.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
Mamabear
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix 2009/03/24 22:09:18 (permalink)
Tom--thank you very much!

Rob--thank you too! And tell your girlfriend I'm glad she enjoyed it. I love it when 'normal' people listen to my music and like it! (they're usually easier to impress!) Where's your brother live? Oh, nevermind--I have a few guitar-playing singing friends that live right here in the neighborhood and we never record either. But it's a nice thought...

Russell--Thank you for listening again! And go for it! Believe me--if I can do this stuff, anybody can!
davewave
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 03:25:15 (permalink)
Missed all of the tweaks on this one..

Very nice piece... lots of nice arrival points and feeling in between.. I agree mixing synth parts are very difficult depending on your instruments, so I can appreciate the time spent on this...

That one violin in my left ear is my only nitpick.. it sounds just a tad thin in spots where it stands out volume wise... Could be soundclick too I guess..

Dave
jimmyman
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 06:29:42 (permalink)

Wow..you've really gotten the humanizing thing down pat!! This sounds really natural and flowing. Lots of interesting things going on. Like the timpany drums for accent....real nice. The strings add a nice mid-high end....wonder if there is a way to bring the vibrato down just a bit? I haven't found a way to do that with Garritan yet on my own stuff.

This is nice Janet...well done.

Thal

very well said. vibroto? and taming it? thats hard. at points you
want it at other times we need none. so janet did super with the
tools at hand

jimmy
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 06:53:53 (permalink)
Janet,

Please take this as a compliment when I say...

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Perfect for film or just for listening pleasure!

String Jammer
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 06:56:33 (permalink)
BTW, I even like the strings in this one! Love the kettle drums at the end too!

You're a quick study!

String Jammer
Dmax
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 07:01:48 (permalink)
I like the transitions. For example the one near the beginning. The timpani create a feeling like, "here comes a great music statement." And the piano then delivers. Excellent!

BTW: I need the hope of spring here in South Dakota this morning.
post edited by Dmax - 2009/03/25 07:05:35
Mamabear
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 12:01:52 (permalink)
Dave--thank you! I'll check out that violin. I added a solo violin with the section violins. It may be too loud.

Jimmy-- thanks.

Scott--thank you. I'll TRY to take that as a compliment. Wait--you even like the strings? Even YOU like the strings? Well, I'll be jiggered! And it only took me 594.345 hours to get them that good! LOL. Well, maybe not quite that much, but close. And yes, I know they still don't sound real, but maybe another song? Oh yeah, and I listened to that song you played on for me just to get the idea of what a real violin sounds like. That actually helped some when I was doing this. And made me realize how much farther these have to go!!

Dmax--thank you so much! I appreciate that. I also appreciate the fact that you're anxious for spring. Even down here in Missouri where trees are finally starting to bud--I'm still anxious for it to warm up (and stay warmed up!) Hang in there! (or move south!)
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 12:27:43 (permalink)
Listening to the latest version on the cans:

The right side is too heavy, left side too light. I might do some multiband compression on the right side to keep some bottom but lose the mud. The french horns (?) at 2:20 could use some more oomph.
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 15:45:40 (permalink)
The conceit here is that the listener is actually in a concert hall, seventh row, center, and that is the panning effect you are employing.

Funny ... My ticket says Z-1239 ? I think that means I'm beyond the back row and sitting in the Denny's across the street?

Either way .... I just listened and yes this sounds very cohesive and real to me. Way to Mix Janet - This version definetly works for me.

- TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

jimmyman
RE: The Hope of Spring, new mix--with right side this time! 2009/03/25 16:05:20 (permalink)
quote:

The conceit here is that the listener is actually in a concert hall, seventh row, center, and that is the panning effect you are employing.

Funny ... My ticket says Z-1239 ? I think that means I'm beyond the back row and sitting in the Denny's across the street?

Either way .... I just listened and yes this sounds very cohesive and real to me. Way to Mix Janet - This version definetly works for me.

- TAP -

thats better than no ticket at all! janet never contacted me about
the fact there was going to be a concert. but thats ok i guess.
she must of had a lot on her mind thinking about all the players
and conducting and all.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1