The Hunger : Improvements?

Author
Grünfeld
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
2005/01/14 19:55:37 (permalink)

The Hunger : Improvements?

Here's the idea, It's a couple of steps above the sketch stage but I want to make it better :

The Hunger

I like the song but the mix and playing have some issues. Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees so I'm after any and all ideas to improve this. The vocals are me at present. I might be able to get another singer.

BTW I won't wither if you wish to say something simply.

Oli
< Message edited by Grünfeld -- 1/16/2005 5:56:28 PM >

7 Replies Related Threads

kidsoncoffee
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 02:38:29 (permalink)
    Grunfeld,

download in process.....this will take a while , Ill be back.

Hey man this is very cool! Totaly like the sharp contrast of the new-wave electonica -to- the more(early U2) pop sound but still keeping the new-wave vibe in tact.

Your on to something here

joe
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 15:30:43 (permalink)
    If You dont give this a listen your missing out!
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 19:17:15 (permalink)
    25 hits, your all a bunch of fools!

joe
    Grünfeld
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 19:25:57 (permalink)
    Thanks KOC. Yep it's kind of a catchy tune. It's nice to write one once in a while.

The bit I'm especially stuck with is that transition at 2:20 from the "middle 16" to the double chorus. Too much of a step in sound. If there was a way of smoothing that...

Oli
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 19:41:17 (permalink)
    You know I honestly didnt notice until you pointed it out. But I do see what your saying now. Honestly dosent detract from anything IMO. But if you have to just keep hammering away at it from different angles. Sorry Im not being more spasific but in my world their is no method only madness.
    The important thing is that your allready outside the box.

joe
    den121961
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 19:47:26 (permalink)
    THe rythmn guitar in the beginning (around 0:10)pulls your ears way to the right, I'm wondering if it were doubled and put on the left if it might work better? When it comes back in later with the different sound it seems a bit more fitting to the song. I do like the first sound, and I think it does give it a cool effect, if it weren't so panned to the right. ALl the guitars are recorded very well though, and I loved that U2 type guitar lead that was panning back and forth right before the switch you are worried about. By the way I thought that switch worked perfectly the way you had it. I thought all the guitar recording was excellent on this piece, other than the pannning issue I had in the beginning, and at 3:05 when it came in again. The sound of that guitar was great, it was just the panning that I had trouble with.
    One other thing I noticed, the drums came from a certain spot in the soundstage, and they almost sounded like they were recorded in mono. Is there any way to open them up a bit so they take a bit more area up? It almost sounded like you were hearing them through an open door from another room.
    THis is a cool song though, although I'm not as agressive as kids on coffee (maybe has something to do with the caffein?) I agree, people ought to check this one out, if just for the way you recorded those guitars

Den
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: The Hunger : Improvements? 2005/01/15 19:55:57 (permalink)
    Hi Grünfeld,

The bit I'm especially stuck with is that transition at 2:20 from the "middle 16" to the double chorus. Too much of a step in sound. If there was a way of smoothing that...
    Of course there is a way.
    IMHO the problem is, that the parts have different room impressions. Sometimes it seems like the drums are in front and the vocals are in the back.
    I assume you have all tracks recorded with no or very little reverb.
    Set up two busses. One with a reverb with only early reflections. One with reverb without early reflections. Send all tracks to the reverb busses. At least to the one with the early reflections. The early reflection bus is your glue to put it all together into one room.

You have good vocals, but with too much reverb.
    The wispered vocals are a bit burried, what about some high frequency boost?

The song has potential. Maybe a bit edgy.

hth.
    Melf
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1